Home The Bridge

Timers on the new Ads Lead to less frequent viewing

Before the update for ads, I would run an ad warp as soon as I saw one was available. As there was (and still is) a 30 min cool down on ad-viewing, this lead to many ads being viewed, lots of warped 24-chron missions, and (presumably) some revenue for DB.

I really like the new ad warps (mission doubling and extra spin in the Dabo wheel). However, the Mission Double has a 1 hour cool down and the Dabo wheel has a 24 hour cool down.

It's completely understanding that DB doesn't want it to be too cheap to run the Dabo wheel, but having a 24 hour cool down means that if my ad warp isn't up exactly at 24 hours, I have to wait progressively longer and longer to get my second spin until, finally, it resets to the next day and I miss out on double-spins.

Instead, it should just be limited to once per day and available as soon as the Dabo wheel resets. Then there's no concern about managing the cool down on it.

...which leads to the mission doubling. This has a 1 hour cool down. For the most part, this gets used on my cadet tickets (at least on days that aren't Trainers or Replicator Rations). In a perfect world, I would double a cadet mission, run a mission warp 30 mins later, and double another cadet mission 30 mins after that. But that requires me to either keep stringent track of when the previous missions were run or send a "test chron mission" to see if the mission double is available.

In practice, I've just stopped even trying to run mission warps on days where I want to double my cadets (5 of 7 days) because missing on one can be a huge hit.

While I totally understand why Dabo would be unbalanced by removing its cool down, this is one that could stand to be on the same 30 min ad timer. Otherwise, I'll just continue to run fewer ads and DB will see less ad revenue.

Comments

• [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before the update for ads, I would run an ad warp as soon as I saw one was available. As there was (and still is) a 30 min cool down on ad-viewing, this lead to many ads being viewed, lots of warped 24-chron missions, and (presumably) some revenue for DB.

I really like the new ad warps (mission doubling and extra spin in the Dabo wheel). However, the Mission Double has a 1 hour cool down and the Dabo wheel has a 24 hour cool down.

It's completely understanding that DB doesn't want it to be too cheap to run the Dabo wheel, but having a 24 hour cool down means that if my ad warp isn't up exactly at 24 hours, I have to wait progressively longer and longer to get my second spin until, finally, it resets to the next day and I miss out on double-spins.

Instead, it should just be limited to once per day and available as soon as the Dabo wheel resets. Then there's no concern about managing the cool down on it.

...which leads to the mission doubling. This has a 1 hour cool down. For the most part, this gets used on my cadet tickets (at least on days that aren't Trainers or Replicator Rations). In a perfect world, I would double a cadet mission, run a mission warp 30 mins later, and double another cadet mission 30 mins after that. But that requires me to either keep stringent track of when the previous missions were run or send a "test chron mission" to see if the mission double is available.

In practice, I've just stopped even trying to run mission warps on days where I want to double my cadets (5 of 7 days) because missing on one can be a huge hit.

While I totally understand why Dabo would be unbalanced by removing its cool down, this is one that could stand to be on the same 30 min ad timer. Otherwise, I'll just continue to run fewer ads and DB will see less ad revenue.

Agreed, it is becoming a full time job just trying to keep track of which ad warps are available or not.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    yes I've been thinking this for a long time although more specifically "too many timers" not enough devices.

Other games I know let you watch a number of adds per day, i think this would be a good approach for mission adwarps I understand the reasoning for cool down for cadet challenges and dabo but they shouldn't interfere with each other.

I agree that one spin any time per Dabo refresh should be a better approach.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark D wrote: »
    I would settle for the dabo will extra spin resetting at the same time each day rather than it be on a 24 hour timer.

Yes...hence:

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed 100%. The ads have become so convoluted that it's almost like DB doesn't want us to run ads. And that's the only way they're making money from a lot of people.
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I really want more double ad warps on thursdays, it’s already impacted faction events a lot as is with the double ad warps and people being able to buy 1-2 extra sets of tickets and double them. With half an hour people would be able to get 2-4 extra sets and wind up with up to 60 standard boost packs every Thursday for 750 dil.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nailed it. I set a 60 minute timer after doubling cadet mission rewards and really don’t watch many ads after those are done. Where I am in the game is using my chrons to Warp 10 enough away missions for daily rewards and then space battles until I run out. It’s more trouble to run a single mission and then double it, and then I have to stop what I'm doing for another hour? I’ve got better things to do...
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed that the Dabo free ad spin should not be on a timer, but just reset with each new "Dabo day" — however, I'm fine with the double reward ads being only once per hour. That's obviously a way for DB to get people to log in more frequently throughout the day, and they have every right to do that, as it is a potential way to increase revenue. That restriction also makes things a bit more engaging for the player, as we have to decide if it's worth it to wait and try to get all the cadet missions doubled, or run them right away and use the ads somewhere else. One hour's wait isn't that much of a limitation in that case.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if I didn't have to "test" a mission to determine if there is an ad available for viewing. I know the main screen is crowded, but maybe an ad-is-ready indicator could be added somewhere? (Pun not intended.)

Ad-warp ready? Have a small thing light up on the galaxy map circle.
    Cadet double-up ready? Same on the cadet circle.
    Dabo free-spin ready? Same on the time portal circle.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Agreed that the Dabo free ad spin should not be on a timer, but just reset with each new "Dabo day" — however, I'm fine with the double reward ads being only once per hour. That's obviously a way for DB to get people to log in more frequently throughout the day, and they have every right to do that, as it is a potential way to increase revenue. That restriction also makes things a bit more engaging for the player, as we have to decide if it's worth it to wait and try to get all the cadet missions doubled, or run them right away and use the ads somewhere else. One hour's wait isn't that much of a limitation in that case.

I'm not disputing DB's "right" to do anything. But, before this change, I would probably view 10 to 12 ads per day. Now, I tend to view no more than 7 (one per cadet ticket and one dabo). So that's a net loss of 30 to 50% of the ad views from me alone.
  • I'm viewing more than I was before the change. Approve of the additional ads for double ups wholeheartedly. I also always use an Adwarp for the extra 10 chrons three times a day.

Agree on the Dabo timer though, I often get around to that late and therefore the reset gets later and later... Reset at the same time as the refresh would be ideal.
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I figured I’d mention this... the cooldown on regular ad warps is only 20 minutes, not 30. Don’t know if that helps you or not, but it’s good to know.

*Edit* You could run a double warp, set a 20 minute timer, run a regular ad warp, set a 20 minute timer, run another regular ad warp, set a 20 minute timer, run another double warp, and so on and so on.