Home The Bridge

Are galaxy events broken?

WundigoreWundigore ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in The Bridge
What I mean here is this: do the rare turn-ins introduce an element of RNG to the result that kill the experience? Is the reward structure, set when the game had a much smaller player base, making it "not fun". My personal experience today: I started the day in the mid 500's after turn-ins. I log in at 15 min till the end and have slipped to 1016. That is a big drop, but I am online and figure no worries. In the next 15 minutes I warp 10 everything and combine like crazy. I finish at 1042. Clearly last second turnins jumped over me. That is the game. I get it. But is it fun? I was around 550 when I turned in my rarest with 3 hours to go. I did it then because I did not know if I could get back on before the end. Right now I view galaxy events as a very expensive (in terms of time) slot machine. I shant play another past threshhold while the current structure remains in place. Either extend to loot table to give out more legendaries or fix the turn in surprises at the end DB.

Comments

• Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the event was bugged, I would raise a ticket. There is no way of knowing if the lack of crew bonuses would have affected your rank but they should give you the benifit of the doubt imho.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wundigore wrote: »
    What I mean here is this: do the rare turn-ins introduce an element of RNG to the result that kill the experience? Is the reward structure, set when the game had a much smaller player base making it "not fun". My personal experience today: I started the day in the mid 500's after turn-ins. I log in at 15 min till the end and have slipped to 1016. That is a big drop, but I am online and figure no worries. In the next 15 minutes I warp 10 everything and combine like crazy. I finish at 1042. Clearly last second turnins jumped over me. That is the game. I get it. But is it fun? I was around 550 when I turned in my rarest with 3 hours to go. I did it then because I did not know if I could get back on before the end. Right now I view galaxy events as a very expensive (in terms of time) slot machine. I shant play another past threshhold while the current structure remains in place. Either extend to loot table to give out more legendaries or fix the turn in surprises at the end DB.

By what measuring stick are you stating that there is a smaller or larger player base?
    DB's never released numbers, and there's been some interesting work in gauging participation by other players doing just one turn in and seeing what numbers they get, which hasn't shown a large shift.. (unfortunately that's not going to give completely reliable numbers.)

But again, how are you arriving at the conclusion that we have more folks playing now than when galaxies came out, or at any other change in reward tables, etc?
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    I think they should be turn in as you go just like the build recipes which don't let you build another until you turn it in.
  • You could probably debate the pros and cons of forcing turn-ins or not (and this forum has) but I don't think the argument that I wanted to be done with the event 3 hours before the end is a good one on the pro side. That is plenty of time with plenty of players willing to craft that entire time that you can't necessarily blame this on turn-ins being your down fall. Skirmish finishes are similar and you don't have turn-ins there
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.

• You could probably debate the pros and cons of forcing turn-ins or not (and this forum has) but I don't think the argument that I wanted to be done with the event 3 hours before the end is a good one on the pro side. That is plenty of time with plenty of players willing to craft that entire time that you can't necessarily blame this on turn-ins being your down fall. Skirmish finishes are similar and you don't have turn-ins there

Skirmish finishes do not have people dumping 250k points into the scores in the last 15 minutes. You can try and plan around the skirmish rush somewhat. You cannot strategize around the giant dump at the end of a galaxy event. You have no way to know where you stand until it is too late to do anything about it. That is bad design.
  • I ran into this too, as per my earlier post. I have decided to ONLY play events until thresholds are completed. After that, I'm not wasting my time or money.
  • Wundigore wrote: »
    You could probably debate the pros and cons of forcing turn-ins or not (and this forum has) but I don't think the argument that I wanted to be done with the event 3 hours before the end is a good one on the pro side. That is plenty of time with plenty of players willing to craft that entire time that you can't necessarily blame this on turn-ins being your down fall. Skirmish finishes are similar and you don't have turn-ins there

Skirmish finishes do not have people dumping 250k points into the scores in the last 15 minutes. You can try and plan around the skirmish rush somewhat. You cannot strategize around the giant dump at the end of a galaxy event. You have no way to know where you stand until it is too late to do anything about it. That is bad design.

... Or, if you can't beat them.. join them ?
    This feature.. has been here since the start of galaxies. I very rarely play galaxy's (especially past threshold, did this event)
    And I would never play one of these and assume everyone else isn't doing this.
    It's silly to assume everyone is putting all their cards on the table from the get go.

Should this aspect of the design change ?
    I don't have much of a thought on that either way. One of the few things I don't have an opinion on. I think galaxies are ridiculous by their very nature.

• Wundigore wrote: »
    You could probably debate the pros and cons of forcing turn-ins or not (and this forum has) but I don't think the argument that I wanted to be done with the event 3 hours before the end is a good one on the pro side. That is plenty of time with plenty of players willing to craft that entire time that you can't necessarily blame this on turn-ins being your down fall. Skirmish finishes are similar and you don't have turn-ins there

This feature.. has been here since the start of galaxies. I very rarely play galaxy's (especially past threshold, did this event)
    And I would never play one of these and assume everyone else isn't doing this.
    It's silly to assume everyone is putting all their cards on the table from the get go.

Should this aspect of the design change ?
    I don't have much of a thought on that either way. One of the few things I don't have an opinion on. I think galaxies are ridiculous by their very nature.

Yeah, this one comes up often enough. I just shrug. I turn mine in at the end. Always have. Same option is available to every player.
  • Well, I have learned my lesson. It is threshold and out on Galaxy for me from now on.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I have learned my lesson. It is threshold and out on Galaxy for me from now on.

Smart. The last time I really wanted a 5* from a Galaxy event was Warship Tuvok, and I spent $70 on event packs before wasting a weekend not finishing in the top 1000.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't debate the merits of waiting vs as-you-go.

But...
    My personal experience today: I started the day in the mid 500's after turn-ins. I log in at 15 min till the end and have slipped to 1016. ... I was around 550 when I turned in my rarest with 3 hours to go.

What rank were you before turning in your last rares? Did you jump over anyone during your final turn-ins? If so, you can't fairly complain about others doing the same to you later on their own time schedules.

I do understand your frustration, having finished ranked several times between 1001 and 1020 in events. But the lesson I took from those experiences was to do a lot more work before the final push to ensure that I couldn't be passed (or at least not passed enough times so that I still could get the rewards I wanted). Does that attitude lead to ever-increasing escalation in point totals? Yes. I don't have a solution for that. So when in Rome...
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galaxy events have been broken since voyages were released.

They have definitely been more competitive since then. It just means players have to pick and choose their events more carefully, as well as be more frugal on crew leveling so they have chrons to save for galaxies.

It also heavily rewards players who log in every 1-2 hours to maximize voyage dilemmas.
  • FWIW The real pain point is around the 1K rank.
    I was at around 1300 after shuttles so knew I'd have to use the Galaxy phase to compete. I built items until I got into top 1000, then at about 3hrs remaining turned in all the Super Rares I'd built up. That got me into top 200 and that's where I finished.
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
  • kapukapu ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

The down side of this aproach is of course you wont know yourself either where you land in the ranks after the dump, and since the reward structure is what it is and places between 25-1k are basically the same you end up investing unnecessary amounts of effort just to be sure you get that gold...

I donate them as I go but luckily for me I can babysit the final 2 hours quite easily as the event ends 7pm local time for me. Finished in the low 800s in a very tight pack of players.
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Educated_BeastEducated_Beast ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    They should not have given 1000 chron compensation during an event. After would have been fine.

I went to work this morning in mid 400s with almost 600K VP. That is enough for most hybrids to rank top 1000. Because everyone got an extra 1000 chron and I could not play in morning, I finished 1100.

It is very aggrivating to rank in week prior event, level that useless card (la forge), level the useless bateson card, pull the useless super rares from freezer, only to have your advantages taken from you (bug) and rules of event changed on last day.

As far as I'm concerned, I got ripped off by DB. This is similar to giving expedition tickets over Christmas during event forcing either more play or lose your rank.

If DB want to give compensation for a bug, great. Just do it after the event so all players have a level playing field.
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure it was designed this way originally or even on purpose, but this aspect does add more strategy for the event? since you do not know how many turn ins people are holding at any given time, if they remove that, it does take out a tactical side of the event.

I think this is especially true for the top 10? I mean if everyone knows exactly what their scores will end up being, there is no risk, and therefore no ability to develop a strategy.

I suppose there are augments for each side on whether that is a good or bad thing.

• I won't debate the merits of waiting vs as-you-go.

But...
    My personal experience today: I started the day in the mid 500's after turn-ins. I log in at 15 min till the end and have slipped to 1016. ... I was around 550 when I turned in my rarest with 3 hours to go.

What rank were you before turning in your last rares? Did you jump over anyone during your final turn-ins? If so, you can't fairly complain about others doing the same to you later on their own time schedules.

I do understand your frustration, having finished ranked several times between 1001 and 1020 in events. But the lesson I took from those experiences was to do a lot more work before the final push to ensure that I couldn't be passed (or at least not passed enough times so that I still could get the rewards I wanted). Does that attitude lead to ever-increasing escalation in point totals? Yes. I don't have a solution for that. So when in Rome...

I have a solution:

m8pi9b6dt89h.png

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I have learned my lesson. It is threshold and out on Galaxy for me from now on.
    Smart. The last time I really wanted a 5* from a Galaxy event was Warship Tuvok, and I spent $70 on event packs before wasting a weekend not finishing in the top 1000.

It is indeed smart. Galaxy events are events I've long since deemed not worth it ever since I went hard af for Mirror Troi and got shafted af within the last 40 minutes and locked out of the <1000 rank. I am still salty about that almost a year later, because I spent so many chrons, so many components, and literally stayed up all night to try and maintain my approx. 700 rank, only to finish 1100. It was a complete waste of time for me.

For now, if I really want the 5* from a Galaxy, I just buy packs, less harsh on my resources, sanity, and sleep schedule. Faction/Galaxy hybrids I usually do fine enough in the Faction portion to stay around 500-600 even through the Galaxy after.

Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • [QH] Oxmyx[QH] Oxmyx ✭✭✭✭
    Every event is threshold and out for me. I haven’t the time or money to waste on what amounts to a pittance reward for the investments required to place high. There isn’t a character that could be created that would cause me to sacrifice the small amounts of real life time I get to spend with my family for something as ridiculous as an imaginary crew in a phone game. I play sporadically when I’m not doing anything important at the moment, but to not sleep, or actually plan to spend hours and hours of pushing buttons while life slips by, no thank you, I have much better things to do. In a few months time and probably much shorter no one will remember who placed what or when so if that floats your boat more power to you. Personally I find the whole thing geared to very lonely people or the borderline insane.
    Fleet= Quarks Holosuite
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....which begs the question - are the lonely people lonely because they are insane, or are the insane people insane because they are lonely?
  • ....which begs the question - are the lonely people lonely because they are insane, or are the insane people insane because they are lonely?

Ask Eleanor. She'll know.
    Fleet: The United Federation of Pragmatists

Our mission: Active game play, without taking things too seriously. The only requirements are 1) Be Nice, and 2) Play regularly. ZERO chatting/social requirements - we’re mainly in it for the Squad, Fleet and Starbase Rewards.

We have a few openings left for like-minded Captains!
  • I only ever do threshold and out (if that) on Galaxy and Hybird events because I find playing Galaxy events extremely tedious. This week though, I've been saving my chrons for my first serious run for top 1000 in a Galaxy because I REALLY want the 5* Weyoun. This thread isn't filling me with confidence, though.
  • I'm insane. My girlfriend is lonely.

If she played with me, she'd be insane too. But at least she wouldn't be lonely.

Saying that, she is pretty nuts anyway. You'd have to be to put up with someone playing this game.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Warrior WilloWarrior Willo ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeanWins wrote: »
    I am not sure it was designed this way originally or even on purpose, but this aspect does add more strategy for the event? since you do not know how many turn ins people are holding at any given time, if they remove that, it does take out a tactical side of the event.

I think this is especially true for the top 10? I mean if everyone knows exactly what their scores will end up being, there is no risk, and therefore no ability to develop a strategy.

I suppose there are augments for each side on whether that is a good or bad thing.

The problem I have with it, is that it works to the disadvantage of players in certain timezones. In Australia for instance, events currently finish between 1.00am to 4.00am so unless you don't value sleep, turning in the SR's just before the end of an event isn't practicable. This means you usually use more resources than you really need to, just to feel safe that you will rank in the top 1000.
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeanWins wrote: »

The problem I have with it, is that it works to the disadvantage of players in certain timezones. In Australia for instance, events currently finish between 1.00am to 4.00am so unless you don't value sleep, turning in the SR's just before the end of an event isn't practicable. This means you usually use more resources than you really need to, just to feel safe that you will rank in the top 1000.

Yeah well it’s OZ and not Kansas you know...