Home The Bridge

If they're "Engineered" now then Roga Danar gets in!

DB, please allow Roga Danar his rightful place in the Augments collection, now that being "engineered" qualifies.

Comments

• [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB, please allow Roga Danar his rightful place in the Augments collection, now that being "engineered" qualifies.

He clearly should be considered "engineered"
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is extra funny because isn't Roga Danar the reason this whole thing got set into motion?
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is extra funny because isn't Roga Danar the reason this whole thing got set into motion?

Yeup
  • I suspect he'll get added after the event, to promote the completion of Airiam first. But I'd agree, he definitely needs to be a part of that collection.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Roga may be engineered, but he is still NOT an "Augment", which refers to the Augmented Humans of the Eugenics wars.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roga may be engineered, but he is still NOT an "Augment", which refers to the Augmented Humans of the Eugenics wars.

Correct.

The only Augments currently in the game:
    tavqocpez1fa.jpg
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roga may be engineered, but he is still NOT an "Augment", which refers to the Augmented Humans of the Eugenics wars.

And yet, Airiam’s inclusion in the collection gave me the opportunity to finish the final threshold. It was the right thing to do given the backlash over dropping the Bashirs’ Augment trait and could have been avoided with a little more long-term planning.

That being said, I see this situation as a way to discuss the merit of the statement “superior ability breeds superior ambition,” which was said in reference to the Augments but could refer to anyone with enhanced abilities through genetic modification, cybernetic enhancements, and the like. It does open the door to say whether or not all Borg should likewise be included here but they do have their own separate collection (as they should).
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭

And yet, Airiam’s inclusion in the collection gave me the opportunity to finish the final threshold. It was the right thing to do given the backlash over dropping the Bashirs’ Augment trait and could have been avoided with a little more long-term planning.

That being said, I see this situation as a way to discuss the merit of the statement “superior ability breeds superior ambition,” which was said in reference to the Augments but could refer to anyone with enhanced abilities through genetic modification, cybernetic enhancements, and the like. It does open the door to say whether or not all Borg should likewise be included here but they do have their own separate collection (as they should).

My point exactly. Inclusion of Airam and the addition of the trait to the collection changes everything. Roga was DEFINITELY engineered. And he belongs.

And Bashir is DEFINITELY an augment. A Khan level augment.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as Bashir goes, he is a direct result of the wars. The wars made genetic work illegal, which made his parents go elsewhere which made him really good at hiding his ability. So one could make an argument. Also, he would be seen as the guidepost for any new eugenics group, even if most if them would end up like Miss Douglas and her fellows. Which then would ask why she should be included if Bashir is not.

All of that is my attempt to find a logical rational for all this. I personally don't care, but it is late and I'm tired and board and not feeling great and the rest of my family is sleeping, so there you have it.
  • I'm not concerned whether DB considers Bashir an Augment or not as DB will do what DB wants to do. But I will point out that Memory Alpha does list Bashir's species as Post-Eugenics Human Augment.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Julian_Bashir

My point exactly. Inclusion of Airam and the addition of the trait to the collection changes everything. Roga was DEFINITELY engineered. And he belongs.

I must have missed the episode where Bashir was fighting in the Eugenics War...

Har har. What I mean is he's a result of the same process. Not "engineered," augmented.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

Har har. What I mean is he's a result of the same process. Not "engineered," augmented.

Genetically augmented persons are Engineered. Supporters of Khan in the Eugenics War are Augments. It has nothing to do with the degree or manner in which they were augmented.
    edited November 2018

Genetically augmented persons are Engineered. Supporters of Khan in the Eugenics War are Augments. It has nothing to do with the degree or manner in which they were augmented.

Edit: Okay, let's assume that "Augmented" in the classical sense means alterations were done BEFORE birth. Either in the embryonic stage or fetal.

To that end, let me say I disagree with your premise. Augments DO happen to be a "cult of people" but they're not like some political party that just happen to share views. They were all augmented before birth.

Then let's assume "Engineered" means alterations, whether genetic or technological, were performed AFTER birth.

By that logic, Julian Bashir is, in fact, ENGINEERED. As is Airam. As was Roga Danar.

Which makes me wrong. I apologize.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    The trait "Augment" no longer exists. We now instead have two traits.

"Augments" denotes membership of the Augments faction. Generally they are Eugenics-wars era individuals, modifed as emryoes, designed to be improvements in the human species, and raised with the expecation that the strongest should rule. With their near-total control of basic medical and uncommon scientific experiments, they are a powerful force in the alpha quadrant of STT.

"Engineered" is a broader trait that covers not only Augments (with a capital A) but augments such as Bashir and the Jack Pack. The circumstances of their modifications are different. Bashir was modifed as a child. The motivation was not to create a race of supermen but to counteract a disability (but the end result was he could outperform other humans - so he carries social and legal baggage as well), and Bashir is a citizen of the Federation, not the Augments. He was also modifed by a civilization (dont remember the name) where is was more culturaly acceptable to be augmented, and their technology is presumably quite different than 20th century Earth's. The technological and social factors are also different for Roga Dagar and Airam. They all fit in a broad catagory of beings modifed above the baseline.

Im not including the Borg - they are a special case