Home The Bridge

Welcome GoTA Players

According to the DB communique, we may have some friends from GoTA joining the STT fun. I am mostly a lurker on the forums, but I wanted to say welcome and I was sorry to hear about GoTA being shut down and the impact that may have on the community you have worked hard to build. There is quite the cast of characters to get to know here, and we look forward to meeting any characters you bring to the table.

Feel free to introduce yourself...

Comments

• Yeah if you guys need help working out how to play this vastly different game of ships just ask stuff we're pretty generous with info. And enjoy Prince Bashir he's got pretty solid stats for a new player to mess with, and he looks cool too.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Welcome to our Westerosi friends.

At least we get Alexander Siddig to help bridge the gap...shame Prince Doran wasn't as big a figure in the show as he was in the book.
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome GoTA players! Come join the family here, we’re ok :)

cgrgsyjgwkmw.png
  • The "cast of characters" in my original post referred to the cast of characters on this forum, but Admiral Pasty's pic reminds me there is another great "cast of characters" to enjoy.
  • I've played GoTA since April 2013 and STT since February 2016. If anyone coming from GoTA has questions, feel free to ask.
    The "cast of characters" in my original post referred to the cast of characters on this forum, but Admiral Pasty's pic reminds me there is another great "cast of characters" to enjoy.

I was looking for some sort of ST series/film crew shot, but (for practical reasons) there’s nothing of everyone across the decades all in one shot. So, next best was The STT pic - It takes all sorts of people, beliefs, backgrounds and races - a very Trek attitude.
  • I'd be surprised if they did not have a LOT of questions, this game's got very popular external spreadsheet tools for crew and event management. :)
    edited November 2018
    It also strikes me that maybe there’s little reason to think that someone who likes Game of Thrones is also likely to enjoy Star Trek. They’re quite distinct shows with no real overlap.
    But I’d love to meet people that prove me wrong.

I also appreciate that a lot of GoTA players are probably quite upset that it’s being shut down, and the last they may want to hear is players from a very different genre trying to encourage more participation and/or spend in a game from the same studio that’s cutting them off. But - the welcome is there anyway all the same if anyone does try it out.

GoTA players - We generally do understand a lot of the frustration associated with DB. Please do not be shy AT ALL!
  • Thorozar Thorozar ✭✭✭✭
    It also strikes me that maybe there’s little reason to think that someone who likes Game of Thrones is also likely to enjoy Star Trek. They’re quite distinct shows with no real overlap.

I also appreciate that a lot of GoTA players are probably quite upset that it’s being shut down, and the last they may want to hear is players from a very different genre trying to encourage more participation and/or spend in a game from the same studio that’s cutting them off. But - the welcome is there anyway all the same if anyone does try it out.

GoTA players - We generally do understand a lot of the frustration associated with DB. Please do not be shy AT ALL!

I love both shows. Never played the game though, just STT.
  • DB offers the GoTA players some welcome gifts depending on the amount of money they spent and vip status in GoTA. So it's very likely that at least a few check out STT.

Welcome to a new universe and I hope you have fun over here. :)
    Deep Space Exploration Fleet - German Casual Fleet
    Created a kingdom. Reached for the wisdom. Failed in becoming a god.
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I started both games at roughly the same time. Timelines on the first day and GOTA probably a couple weeks later. I was a casual GOTA player compared to Timelines. Still I played every day for almost 2 years.

Welcome to any and all who decide to beam up!
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Hey guys and gals, can anyone here help me find find my db id in GOTA? I found a 7 digit code but it says user not found on the loyalty reward page...?
  • Hey guys and gals, can anyone here help me find find my db id in GOTA? I found a 7 digit code but it says user not found on the loyalty reward page...?

It's probably your db id number. Try it in both places

It's probably your db id number. Try it in both places

Cheers - worked a treat :)
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thorozar wrote: »

I love both shows. Never played the game though, just STT.

Same here. Big fan of both shows, but only have time for addiction to one game at a time. I chose STT.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like you can kind of do a Degrees of Kevin Bacon thing with them though. Star Trek (in general) could get you into DS9, DS9 (unless you go all toxic fandom and have to hate the 'opposition') could get you into Babylon 5, and Babylon 5's not a million miles from Game of Thrones.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaitee wrote: »

I feel like you can kind of do a Degrees of Kevin Bacon thing with them though. Star Trek (in general) could get you into DS9, DS9 (unless you go all toxic fandom and have to hate the 'opposition') could get you into Babylon 5, and Babylon 5's not a million miles from Game of Thrones.

No offense to Adm. Pasty, but I think his notion is perhaps a bit myopic. One person will often enjoy many different forms/styles/genres of art/culture/entertainment for many different reasons. As a personal example, I enjoy many G-rated animated "family" type movies, but also like hardcore R-rated action films. I love Beethoven, but also love AC/DC. I dig utopian visions of the future, but also enjoy many apocalyptic/dystopian stories. A smaller percentage of my tastes may strike a particular chord within me more than others, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them all, on some level.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Kaitee wrote: »

No offense to Adm. Pasty, but I think his notion is perhaps a bit myopic. One person will often enjoy many different forms/styles/genres of art/culture/entertainment for many different reasons. As a personal example, I enjoy many G-rated animated "family" type movies, but also like hardcore R-rated action films. I love Beethoven, but also love AC/DC. I dig utopian visions of the future, but also enjoy many apocalyptic/dystopian stories. A smaller percentage of my tastes may strike a particular chord within me more than others, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them all, on some level.

People can like different shows. Obviously one doesn’t have to like only shows set in space or with more emphasis on technology. Or favour utopian over dystopian. But that’s a long way from forcing some kind of association between 2 very different things.

I still don’t see any special reason to link GoTA and Star Trek other than them being the only 2 products DB has (other than the 3rd game which seems to be left out of discussions completely). If they were just 2 of say 100 different franchised products that DB were selling, this promotional tie might seem even more unusual.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don’t see any special reason to link GoTA and Star Trek other than them being the only 2 products DB has

Well, that's the reason right there, isn't it. All they're doing is making an offer to try to entice former GoTA players into playing (and hopefully spending money on) STT. I don't think DB has any misconceptions about the part of the majority of those players having an automatic acceptance of, or desire to play, a Star Trek-based game — but for those who do wish to give it a shot, it's a nice little carrot to dangle in front of them.
    (other than the 3rd game which seems to be left out of discussions completely).

So far, anyway...

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"