Home The Bridge
Options

Upgrading Saru

So since DB is making it easier to get chromitons with voyages are they planning to counter act it by making it more of a pain to update characters? I got my first officer Saru and what a pain he is to update. At level 4 and 26 he needs a one star hand scanner that requires 18 components to build. I didn't have enough of one (don't remember which) so I had to run a mission at 16 chromitons each time to get the items. I stopped at level 40 because I will have to grind out 8 basic science experiments to build a 3 star science lesson. I really wish DB would make some of the items like science experiments and holoprograms easier to acquire. /end_rant

Comments

• Options
    I think First Officer Saru is one of the easier ones to build. On my VIP0 account I was able to level him to 100 in about 45 minutes. Mind you, I have a stock pile of science experiments that I'm sitting on and I did use my 1 daily replicator use to build the 4* ID Codes. I haven't FE equipped him yet as the only thing that gives him a base stats boost is the uniform that I can hopefully get from the thresholds.

I also spent about 700 chronitons with a supply kit to level him that I saved starting yesterday. Overall I think a reasonable amount for a 4* crew.
  • Options
    RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wasted well over 100 chronitons trying to get some 0-star holoprograms from that one mission they drop from. (Which I'm beginning to believe they don't, by the way).

I honestly have an easier time getting some four-star equipment then these damn holoprograms and sci experiments.
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    I just wasted well over 100 chronitons trying to get some 0-star holoprograms from that one mission they drop from. (Which I'm beginning to believe they don't, by the way).

I honestly have an easier time getting some four-star equipment then these damn holoprograms and sci experiments.

0* holoprograms are faction/cadet only. there might be some as rare/one-time rewards but they don't drop from anywhere else.

I've had bugs where a mission that had the item as a rare reward will show up even if I already got the reward. You can usually tell if it has the rare reward symbol on it.
  • Options
    RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amphistaff wrote: »

0* holoprograms are faction/cadet only. there might be some as rare/one-time rewards but they don't drop from anywhere else.

I've had bugs where a mission that had the item as a rare reward will show up even if I already got the reward. You can usually tell if it has the rare reward symbol on it.

Yeah, that must be it. I wonder if DB'll reimburse the chronitons I lost due to this bug...my guess is no.
  • Options
    Also, keep in mind Saru is really good in science with an 1120 average roll. Nice crew for Voyages and decent for shuttle and even gauntlet.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    snowman wrote: »
    From my perspective he was extremely easy to level. It took me about 15 min to get him to level 100 and fully equipe.

I found him pretty easy too, but like all cards it's going to depend on what you have in inventory.
  • Options
    Compared to some old crew, such as Proton Paris (extremely annoying to level, bad stats), Saru is a jewel.

Probably not the easiest to level, but 100% worth it.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    ReneeUhnay wrote: »
    Also, keep in mind Saru is really good in science with an 1120 average roll. Nice crew for Voyages and decent for shuttle and even gauntlet.

Two stat crew members are of limited use for voyages. Very few are actually viable, but Saru may be useful from time to time.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Since voyages have been introduced, builds have become harder in general. Where before a 4 items were the limit in subbuilds you now find plenty of 5/5. FE 1 SuperRare item now requires a 5SR subbuild. So you know need more items,
    especially in higher levels more SR and Rare ones.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Grant77 wrote: »
    ReneeUhnay wrote: »

Two stat crew members are of limited use for voyages. Very few are actually viable, but Saru may be useful from time to time.
    For short voyages, say 6 hours or less, you want 3 stat crew to try to get all stats to 6k. But if you are going for long voyages, only your primary stat really matters and you want to crank it up as high as possible. A 12k primary stat means about a third of hazards will pass until you hit the 12 hour mark, greatly reducing the number of times you have to pay Dil to reload AM. If you can slot 12 crew with 1120 per slot, that keeps you passing that stat's hazards for 13 hours.

• Options

I have purchased 0* holoprograms from the factions centers on multiple occasions, simply because it seems far cheaper to do so. 25K credits or (I think) 75 Merits when available.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options

I have purchased 0* holoprograms from the factions centers on multiple occasions, simply because it seems far cheaper to do so. 25K credits or (I think) 75 Merits when available.

Only 1 faction center has the Holoprograms - Section 31. Right now, I need like 18-24 of them for 5 or 6 crew needing Champagne or some holo-whatever. From the end of the last event until the start of the current, I ran Section 31 with 3 shuttles non-stop for 0* Holoprograms. Problem is, 0* doesn't drop often. They cost 50,000 credits or 50 merits WHEN available in the faction center. I am always low on credits so it hurts to spend 50,000 on any basic item. I've also been replicating them (VIP 12 - 4 replications/day), but I still need many other things like 2* Bloodwine and other faction-only items. The Holoprograms are also available in a 1* Thursday Boost cadet mission, but those of us that are smart run the 2* Boost missions to get the 10x boost pulls for the upcoming event... so I can't run the Cadet missions. I have a stockpile (60+) of Basic Science Experiments, 2* IDIC's, and 2* Novels due to M/W/F 3* Cadet Chron missions... I just can't seem to get these damn Holoprograms fast enough!
  • Options
    Cpt. CavemanCpt. Caveman ✭✭✭✭
    First Officer Saru - 22 science experiments 0*
    @ 41.7 chronoton estimate per item = 917.4 just for 0* items
    20 faction only items

Katheryn Janeway - 12 science experiments 0*
    @ 41.7 chronoton estimate per item = 500.4
    11 faction only items

The struggle is real
  • Options
    I've noticed Saru's tough builds and it seems a lot of Discovery items are like this. Will the new Discovery Crew have great stats and be worth it? Or will the builds get better for weaker crew?
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    With replicator rations from voyages, you're often better off replicating the whole item than farming faction only components.
  • Options
    Dralix wrote: »
    With replicator rations from voyages, you're often better off replicating the whole item than farming faction only components.

Problem with this concept rolls into the Chrons-Credits-Training conundrum. You can't have all 3 in ample supply without spending $$ for dilithium. Yes, I have plenty of rations - 74 4*, 392 3*, and 112 2* (thank you voyages), but it will cost me 32,000/90,000/250,000 to replicate a 3*/4*/5* item for a crew member. If I replicate 4 5* items, that's 1 million creds/day! I try to replicate the lowest value item needed (like a 2* Champagne instead of making 4 holoprograms or going big and replicating the 3* item (or higher) that needed the 2* Champagne. But still my credits are low. I know if I ran every mission rather than warping them, I would make 30% more credits (I think, I forget the number but running 10 missions nets more creds than tapping Warp-10). But then that's extra time consumed. Then if you manage to replicate these items and push more crew ahead, trainers become scarce. I usually have between 200-500 5* Trainers, but with a good 10 for 10 pack pull (today I got 4 new crew to level) it will eat those up. I have played since Feb 2016 and have never had a tremendous surplus of trainers like I hear others have. So, the rotating conundrum applies here.
  • Options
    I hate the champagne so much. Seemed like everyone on my crew wanted several glasses for a while there, and there was just no way to farm enough of the necessary holoprograms. I've replicated so many 2* & 3* champagne.
  • Options
    Dralix wrote: »

Problem with this concept rolls into the Chrons-Credits-Training conundrum. You can't have all 3 in ample supply without spending $$ for dilithium. Yes, I have plenty of rations - 74 4*, 392 3*, and 112 2* (thank you voyages), but it will cost me 32,000/90,000/250,000 to replicate a 3*/4*/5* item for a crew member. If I replicate 4 5* items, that's 1 million creds/day! I try to replicate the lowest value item needed (like a 2* Champagne instead of making 4 holoprograms or going big and replicating the 3* item (or higher) that needed the 2* Champagne. But still my credits are low. I know if I ran every mission rather than warping them, I would make 30% more credits (I think, I forget the number but running 10 missions nets more creds than tapping Warp-10). But then that's extra time consumed. Then if you manage to replicate these items and push more crew ahead, trainers become scarce. I usually have between 200-500 5* Trainers, but with a good 10 for 10 pack pull (today I got 4 new crew to level) it will eat those up. I have played since Feb 2016 and have never had a tremendous surplus of trainers like I hear others have. So, the rotating conundrum applies here.

If you have done the math, sometimes it is better to replicate 2 items to make one, even though you use 2xreplicator. Maybe this crew has a few rare/hard to get items, which also makes replicating more desirable.

For Example:

lhwavgcztbbl.jpg

We see we need 2 items. We are short on credits, but large on Replicator rations (thanks to Voyages!)

To replicate the 4* Opera Glasses would be 90K credits

But if we replicate the the 3* Opera Glasses for 32K, and the 2* Tuxedo for 9K, then build for 10k, total cost is now 51K instead of 90K.

Yes, it will take a little longer, but if you are VIP8+ and have 3-4 Replicators per day, it becomes less of an issue.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    {DD} Capt Jello{DD} Capt Jello ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    If you have done the math, sometimes it is better to replicate 2 items to make one, even though you use 2xreplicator. Maybe this crew has a few rare/hard to get items, which also makes replicating more desirable.

For Example:

We see we need 2 items. We are short on credits, but large on Replicator rations (thanks to Voyages!)

To replicate the 4* Opera Glasses would be 90K credits

But if we replicate the the 3* Opera Glasses for 32K, and the 2* Tuxedo for 9K, then build for 10k, total cost is now 51K instead of 90K.

Yes, it will take a little longer, but if you are VIP8+ and have 3-4 Replicators per day, it becomes less of an issue.

Basically what I said above. What I was explaining is that there are still bottlenecks, whether it be credits or # of replications/day. I understand the "lower cost is better when available". In your exact example, this morning for Daystrom's 4* Opera I did (2) 2* Tuxedo so it was only 18K to replicate then the 10k to build. Today I need (5) 2* Science Experiments (faction only, no Cadet Missions), (2) 2* Encoded Communique (Faction only or Tuesday Cadet Missions), and still need many Holoprograms. So I did the (2) Tuxedos and (2) Science Experiments... now waiting for 24 hours. I could have replicated the 4* Opera spending more credits, but saving 1 replication for something else. Unless I get lucky to see these items in the FC's at today's reset AND have the RNG of buying with merits (again, 2* items are 250,000 credits so there's the credit bottleneck, and I don't spend dilithium on anything in the FC's), I can't progress certain crew until tomorrow's replications. And while I wait and build/advance other crew, they then require a faction only item, and the amount of replicated items needed grows larger...

Partly complaining, but not overly complaining. I remember when the replicator didn't exist and it was a shuttle grind to get the items. Send 3 out and always have 1 if not 2 fail, or the problem when the basic stuff wouldn't drop in shuttles when you were honored, or... you get the picture.
  • Options
    I'm with OP on Saru, but that's also because I needed science experiments for all the Janeways I was trying to level up in advance and all the cadets I've been getting from Voyages lately. Maybe if Saru and Janeway didn't both rely so much on science experiments, it wouldn't have been so bad. But I'm thrilled to hear how well Saru does FE/FF! This'll be worth it in the end.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got mine leveled pretty easily science experiments withstanding., (Though I did have 2000 chronos stocked up from voyages ready to level him). It cost me around 1000 to level him, which is probably not too bad for a 4*, compared to say Proton Paris he was a breeze. The only thing I haven't done yet is his legendary item from the rewards table.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    Got mine levelled up to 90 easily enough, just waiting for a few more chrons to complete equipping so I can pop him up to 100.

Science experiments can be a faff, but I do have farming days where I get myself up to double figures of them.

Plus, anything that's a pain to get, if it's available in a faction store for credits or merits, I get them. Can never have too many Bajoran phasers or holoprograms...
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today I need (5) 2* Science Experiments (faction only, no Cadet Missions), (2) 2* Encoded Communique (Faction only or Tuesday Cadet Missions), and still need many Holoprograms. So I did the (2) Tuxedos and (2) Science Experiments... now waiting for 24 hours. I could have replicated the 4* Opera spending more credits, but saving 1 replication for something else. Unless I get lucky to see these items in the FC's at today's reset AND have the RNG of buying with merits (again, 2* items are 250,000 credits so there's the credit bottleneck, and I don't spend dilithium on anything in the FC's), I can't progress certain crew until tomorrow's replications.

So here's where my original point comes in to play, which I didn't articulate as well as I could have.

Take Saru's 3* science experiment. It's cheaper to replicate it than to buy a 2* science experiment for credits in the faction store. Buying for merits is the way to go if that option is given to you. But this is a case where you can consider replicating the entire item instead of buying the component, if you want it now.

Credit bottlenecks will exist, as with replicator uses. My point was just that it might be cheaper to replicate the item than purchase the component that is lacking.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a tip from a player who has (currently) 0 5* trainers, low credits (currently 250.000) and 2 replication possiblities per day ...

The last 10 crew I've had the pleasure to immortalise/FE over the past week included 2* Saru, 5* Seven of Nine, 4* Captain Janeway, 4* Sarek, 3* Dr. Carol Marcus, and 3* Mora Pol for a grand total of 89 0* Science Experiments.

My saviour has been to run Epic "Talk Less, Smile More" (Worf, Sito, Picard) 6 times on available days for on average around 6 sci exp. (and 150 chrons) per day ... and then run Elite "Flesh & Blood" on the two available days, for another 6 on average ... that's 30.
    Couple that with timely replication uses (looking at you 2* Marcus's Research - build cost around 3.000, rep cost 9.000 credits and a lot less frustration) and voila.

So in my book, items that are featured on cadet days are easy picking ... stuff like 1* Security Reports are a lot more irritating.
    My struggling point is getting crew leveled up fast enough, as I'm clean out of 5* trainers at present and have numerous crew in need of them (looking at you T'Kuvma)
  • Options
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    My saviour has been to run Epic "Talk Less, Smile More" (Worf, Sito, Picard) 6 times on available days for on average around 6 sci exp. (and 150 chrons) per day ... and then run Elite "Flesh & Blood" on the two available days, for another 6 on average ... that's 30.

MWF are always a hard choice because they offer ALL the good stuff. Talk Less, Smile More on elite offers holoprograms and Bravery in Action (epic) offers 2* Security Codes. I'm running out these 3 things all the time. Seems like EVERYONE needs at least one of each at some point during their build.

• Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    MWF are always a hard choice because they offer ALL the good stuff. Talk Less, Smile More on elite offers holoprograms and Bravery in Action (epic) offers 2* Security Codes. I'm running out these 3 things all the time. Seems like EVERYONE needs at least one of each at some point during their build.

True ... but you can just run Section 31 shuttles during the week for 2* Security Codes or buy them at the faction store if they are in for Merits.

... and that's why the key is to focus on just one or two crew (what I've always stressed in Ready Room advice) ... sure everyone needs a ton of items, but the crew you're leveling don't ... 4* Saru doesn't need 2* Security Codes, and that is what the OP was stating, that 4* Saru was tough ... so if you're leveling Saru it is an easy call to run the mission I mentioned.

e.g. I know that T'Kuvma will provide a bonus all month, so I've been working on him since I got him this morning, have him up to 70 ... I've checked the components he needs and know I'll run into a block in the very near future when I need to make his lvl 86 item (Rakal Troi is waiting for the exact same item to be built, so I know I cannot complete it without running Maquis faction shuttles (or do Sunday's appropriate cadet missions)) ... up till then it is a matter of chrons.
    My lvl 100 Stranded Odo needs one more component to be able to FE him ... I need to run Bajoran shuttles for that piece, but he has little to no impact this coming month (for so far I know).
    --> when this phase of the event is over I'll be running Maquis shuttles until I have enough of the componenet I need. It is an easy choice.
  • Options
    RaraRacing wrote: »

True ... but you can just run Section 31 shuttles during the week for 2* Security Codes or buy them at the faction store if they are in for Merits.

... and that's why the key is to focus on just one or two crew (what I've always stressed in Ready Room advice) ... sure everyone needs a ton of items, but the crew you're leveling don't ... 4* Saru doesn't need 2* Security Codes, and that is what the OP was stating, that 4* Saru was tough ... so if you're leveling Saru it is an easy call to run the mission I mentioned.

e.g. I know that T'Kuvma will provide a bonus all month, so I've been working on him since I got him this morning, have him up to 70 ... I've checked the components he needs and know I'll run into a block in the very near future when I need to make his lvl 86 item (Rakal Troi is waiting for the exact same item to be built, so I know I cannot complete it without running Maquis faction shuttles (or do Sunday's appropriate cadet missions)) ... up till then it is a matter of chrons.
    My lvl 100 Stranded Odo needs one more component to be able to FE him ... I need to run Bajoran shuttles for that piece, but he has little to no impact this coming month (for so far I know).
    --> when this phase of the event is over I'll be running Maquis shuttles until I have enough of the componenet I need. It is an easy choice.

I agree about the shuttles and security codes but sometimes you just need them. Like this weekend you need both science experiments (Saru) and Security Codes (T’Kuvma) and it’s a hard choice between the 2. I’ve already level both because I decided to use my daily replicator use to get around science experiments for Saru on Wednesday and then replicate the security codes for T’Kuvma on Thursday. Leveling both at the same time this weekend would be hard because you don’t have the option to run section 31 shuttles.