Home Make It So!
Options

What if it was easier to acquire/upgrade existing legendaries?

Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Make It So!
EDIT: This is a list of possible ways to make it easier to acquire or upgrade existing legendaries (the ones already in the portal). If you don't want to read the reasons why I think it would be good to do that, just skip the part in brackets :)

[I don’t know how many people are actually unhappy with the current situation around legendary crew, which is one of the reasons why I’m starting this thread.

As a long-time player with a low monthly expense (monthly card + one, sometimes two small offers) I reached a point where the amount of unwanted 1/5* in my crew and my inability to earn the ones I’d actually like to have is very frustrating. To make this clear, I’m not asking DB to make new legendaries easier to acquire, I’m only talking about the existing ones.

I have basically no way to get existing legendaries that I want. Sure, I can buy packs when they randomly appear (I got lucky once so far, when I bought the pack hoping to get a specific 5* and actually got that character) and hope that the 10x10 offer will include at least one legendary behold and that it won’t be one with 3 characters that I don’t want, but the very low success rate isn’t really encouraging me to keep doing that. I have no use for the 3* or most of the 4* and ship schematics, which is why it feels like throwing away my money or dilithium.]

I think there would be a lot of possible solutions to this (if there are actually enough people who believe that it’s a problem). For example, among the things that have already been suggested here and those that came to my mind, it would be possible to:

1) introduce some sort of affordable legendary-only offer, that allows people to buy, say, 3 legendary beholds. No other crew or schematics in it.

2) introduce more ways to acquire honor (starbase rooms, like those for the replicator rations, or anything else really). I know this was already done with the new event rewards, but those will amount to 3000 more honor a month, which really doesn’t change much.

3) increase the amount of honor one gets from dismissing legendary crew (so far, I have no reason to dismiss them, because I don’t get anything out of it and there’s still a chance that they will appear in every future begold I will ever get – RNG hates me).

4) allow us to refresh beholds once. That way at least we could choose between 6 characters instead of 3.

5) turn the legendary drops from merit pulls into beholds.

6) implement Banjo's Honor Machine, a feature that allows players to convert items and other resources into honor.

7) add some sort of recruitment room to the starbase, where we can acquire beholds.

8) add some sort of exchange-programme room to the starbase, where we can drop our useless 5* and get a behold in return or another legendary character with a common trait or skill. It would still be random and a game of chance, but it would make things more interesting.

I’m not suggesting that all of those things should be added, but maybe one or two?

What do you think about it?

Comments

• Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere else this topic came up, and I supported the idea of allowing a very rare drop of a legendary crew from a voyage that goes 8 or 10 hours (or longer). Right now, very rarely, you can get legendary replicator rations or ship schematics. A legendary crew drop could be similarly added.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Somewhere else this topic came up, and I supported the idea of allowing a very rare drop of a legendary crew from a voyage that goes 8 or 10 hours (or longer). Right now, very rarely, you can get legendary replicator rations or ship schematics. A legendary crew drop could be similarly added.

Yes, I also read that thread (or poll?) and I think that it would be a nice idea. But if that will be the solution, then there should also be new ways to get honor, to buy citations for those legendaries.
  • Options
    You need to be careful not to break the internal economics of the game. Given the huge and ever-increasing number of crew, options that increase the number of options when you get a 5* make more sense than making 5*'s easier to acquire. The former is an eventual necessity to maintain progression similar to what was present when there were fewer cards. The latter Monty Halls the game a bit and decreases the relative value of things like purchased packs. Something the developers probably want to avoid.
  • Options
    One way to avoid this would be to remove the behold/beGold options from the honor hall. That way honor could only be spent on hall exclusives or crew you already have.
  • Options
    [DC] Picard Loves Reds[DC] Picard Loves Reds ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    If all events get a honor threshold that will help the honor economics too.

Hopefully the new ranked tables will have increasing amounts of honor in them too. (If/when new tables are released.)
  • Options
    If all events get a honor threshold that will help the honor economics too.

Hopefully the new ranked tables will have increasing amounts of honor in them too. (If/when new tables are released.)

Yes, I'm hoping for that too. It would be the easiest way to add something that everyone can use and nobody will be disappointed by.