Home The Bridge
Options

The "No Gauntlet" Period

GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in The Bridge
Alright, so I have two accounts. One of them had the gauntlet end Saturday night and tell me there wasn't another. One of them had it end last night.

So as of now it's been, at minimum, a full day since anyone has had a gauntlet. Both accounts still say No Gauntlet is Currently Available. I guess my question is...

How unprepared is DB that they require more than a 24 hour period to swap out a character and start a new gauntlet session? What could possibly be so difficult?

Comments

• Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Per the Starfleet Communication.

"To maximize your chances to win The Caretaker before he leaves, enter the Gauntlet no later than Saturday, November 24 before 6:55 PM ET (10:55 UTC), and claim your rewards by noon ET (17:00 UTC) on Tuesday, November 27 to avoid losing them.

To prepare for this change there will be no Gauntlets on Sunday, November 25 and Monday, November 26. New Gauntlets will resume on Tuesday, November 27 at 7:00 PM ET (0:00 UTC Wednesday, November 28)"
  • Options
    Because I need merits!
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've sent the update to the 5 1/4 floppy disc factory then you will receive it by mail "when it's ready". I don't see how else it could require such an extended downtime given the fact that there are no functionality changes and that they had months to plan and test this.
  • Options
    Ren~ wrote: »
    They've sent the update to the 5 1/4 floppy disc factory then you will receive it by mail "when it's ready". I don't see how else it could require such an extended downtime given the fact that there are no functionality changes and that they had months to plan and test this.

Thank you, this is a more clever way of saying what I said.
  • Options
    Since there are 2 sets of Gauntlets running 24 hours apart, they need to have both done so that when the do the server push at about 9 AM Eastern, they don't have anything running. Things restart that afternoon.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    ByloBand wrote: »
    See, in my head, DB took down The Gauntlet to allow for HR to pull RNGesus in to a confidential meeting to counsel him on his recent behaviors and refresh him on the guidelines of his job. I would imagine such a process would take 2 full days to ensure RNGesus' union rep had a chance to go over the paperwork to make sure everything was on the up-and-up.

Wouldn’t it be cool if gauntlet came back a little different. Like some way to avoid walls of Picards or 45% Picards or not 6 nothing but Picards in a row?

You could try to stalk me in Gauntlet. I don't have the Gauntlet Picard's. (And I've even managed to win once without them.)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm bored and need merits. How else am I supposed to spend 725 merits to get 200 honour without the Gauntlet.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Plan? Test? DB? Really? I can understand that some infrequently-occurring errors can be hard to find in a test environment without unlimited man-hours of work but we’ve seen too many obvious and game-breaking errors to accept that DB’s test process is rigorous in any way.

It is vexing to see that a game feature has to be brought down for two solid days for what should be one or two changes to a database. I would love to know that there actually is a functionality change that will help narrow the bell curve of how many rare crew are rewarded during each one’s time on the hot seat, though whether such a change would be announced even if it were to be made is up for debate.
  • Options
    It would be cool if you could substitute out one of your chosen Gauntlet characters for another at some point. There have been times I've made my selection only to have one of the characters underused.

Or if some of the boxes droped a hypo that you could use to get a free stats refresh on a char.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, they're giving folks until noon ET today (11/27) to claim their loot and then plan to have the gauntlet back up at the usual reset time of 7 ET tonight so not that long. I'm sure they wanted both the A & B rotations to be finished before any changes. I mean I suppose they could have maybe shortened up the time to claim loot and gotten it up for reset on 11/26 maybe, so a day shorter.

I don't think they've said anything about the rework they said was coming for the gauntlet being a part of this change, only the switch out of crew, but I guess we'll see.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is the way it has always been, chillax
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    They could flip the legendary whenever they want. It would be the same server update that brings in the new Tuesday crew. But what happens to gauntlets that are in the middle of running? Should they get the old crew or the new crew? What if someone has final rewards pending but hasn't claimed them? Should they get the old or new crew?

To avoid these issues DB has opted to make sure no one has an active gauntlet or pending rewards before making the change. So they wait for all gauntlets to end, they then give a window of time when you can claim rewards, and only after that window do they update the legendary crew.

This is the one update that DB seems to actually plan for and works to make sure there are no issues with the roll-out. And now people complain that the time to do a safe deployment is too much. It really does show that someone will complain about everything.

It's not so much about testing and deployment, but more about claiming prizes. So yes, I get it.
  • Options
    I like the no gauntlet period. Then I don't have to feel bad for knowing that I'm not playing it, because it's not even possible.
    [SSR] Sorin08