Home The Bridge

Should DB swap Etana Jol & Sphere-Builder Presage for Decembers Mega Event?

Should DB swap Etana Jol & Sphere-Builder Presage for Decembers Mega Event? 111 votes

Yes
49%
izausomeCaptain_WhoRocpileIvanstoneTaskereXo | SilverRose (retired)Lady GaghgaghNS111111[DB - Do Better]   ProwlerAuntieA[SSR]Trollhammeren·§ë· For the ManykvafySvenLundgrenK Han Solo Ng & Thank4 All Dtea[S47] ELiL(HGH)ApolloMr. Lincolnsexy_ladyInquisitor Troi-Riker 55 votes
No
50%
Skizzy • VIP0 • §ëWarrior WilloXanatharJeanLucKirk<TGE> DangerDrakemilamber42Zombie Squirrel Mordackguest_7456Travis S McClainNad HalKaitee[QH] OxmyxHaBlackGrumpfer[KM] WOLF 359AntasilRennJaxoHungry Dog DDM[Deleted User] 56 votes

Comments

• Well it's purely an exercise in opinion at this point, as the whole flow is already planned out, as are all the stories likely to have been written. I'd consider it set in stone from the time it was posted.

I am neither here nor there on those crew though. Just please not another crappy 2 skiller, or COM / DIP / SEC three skiller.
    [SSR] Sorin08
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    No
    Guys, y'all are freaking out when we don't even know the storyline yet. DB has consistently said that they see themselves as storytellers.

Maybe there are better cards than Etana Jol for recurring legendary, mayne even for the story they want to tell, but that doesn't mean swapping is the right solution.
  • Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Why not? It is fast approaching the point where I can just sit back watching the game burn while eating a bucket of popcorn.
  • AMDGAMDG ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Of course. Make mega-events great again.
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like Etana Jol but it's DB's choice and I have either two choices to accept her if her stats are awesome (and that will silence all negativity) or airlock is she is Minutet v2.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Let's just hope her stats are good. Maybe DIP SCI SEC?
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I had many thoughts about this, not all of which necessarily agree with one another:

1) I’m not sure I care enough to be bothered. Neither crew has me drooling, willing to pay any cost to obtain them.

2) I don’t really want to say one way or the other until I see stats. If one is a proficiency monster and the other isn’t, whomever isn’t would be better as the recurring character. For as many people that complain about gauntlet walls of Mirror Picard and Surak, adding yet another such ubiquitously-owned character should be seen as a bad idea. Besides...proficiency-heavy crew are almost as valuable at 1/5* than they are at 5/5*, while base-heavy crew continue to get better and should maintain player interest and spending throughout the event.

3) Despite the complaints about the choice of recurring 5* character, the only way DB could make it worse would be to do something about it. I imagine a lot of behind-the-scenes work has gone on to design the event and upsetting those plans with a character swap is going to take time to fix...remember what happened the last time a major character change was made at a late stage?
  • kapukapu ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I voted yes just on the basis that the Builder would have been better fit for an important legendary character.

But at this point it's already set in stone and can't be changed anymore. so deal with it. :DD
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Yes
    sorinev wrote: »
    Well it's purely an exercise in opinion at this point, as the whole flow is already planned out, as are all the stories likely to have been written. I'd consider it set in stone from the time it was posted.

I am neither here nor there on those crew though. Just please not another crappy 2 skiller, or COM / DIP / SEC three skiller.

i see a SCI/MED/DIPbut thats just me
  • No
    Would I have preferred the Sphere-Builder Presage? Yep.

Do I think they should change the recurring Legendary? Not in the slightest.

Etana seems like a weird choice, but so did Minuet and she fit the theme of the Mega. Anyway, changing things this late in development would be difficult, if not impossible.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Aandraa wrote: »
    sorinev wrote: »
    Well it's purely an exercise in opinion at this point, as the whole flow is already planned out, as are all the stories likely to have been written. I'd consider it set in stone from the time it was posted.

i see a SCI/MED/DIPbut thats just me

For Etana, or the Sphere Builder?

For Etana, I sadly foresee SEC/DIP, and maybe CMD if a third, or if by some miracle, ENG as a third. SEC as she is a military operative and set on taking over the Enterprise, DIP for her charm over Riker, CMD because why not and DB loves that combo, and if not CMD and we miraculously get ENG then it’ll be based on her helping program or operate The Game.

For Sphere Builder Presage, I would guess ENG, SCI, DIP. They built the spheres so that is clear ENG, SCI for doing the sheer calculation of subspace mechanics needed to ensure their spheres create a habitable spatial environment for them, DIP because the presage was their intermediary to the Xindi.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Thorozar Thorozar ✭✭✭✭
    WE WANT KIVAS!
  • Webberoni wrote: »
    As I said in the other thread, Etana Jol is a great choice from a storytelling perspective, even if she isn't an epic character.

Also, it's not like every mega 5* has been what I would consider to be an epic character:

- Borg Queen --> one of the best mega 5*, truly an epic character
    - Kortar --> cultural figure for Klingons, but really a very minor character
    - Tkuvma --> just like Kortar
    - Mirror Picard --> fake/quasi-cannon version of epic character, that looks ridiculous
    - Cornwell --> jury's still out, but fairly minor character in season 1 of Discovery
    - Surak --> one of the best mega 5*, truly an epic character
    - Bell Bashir --> cannon version of a main character, but not even a main character in those episodes of DS9
    - Ruafo --> epic character from a single movie
    - Minuet --> plot device for a single episode of TNG

After the top 2/3 (Queen, Surak and maybe Ruafo), none of the mega 5* have been what I would call epic or overly mega-worthy. Etana Jol is certainly no worse than Minuet, or Kortar/Tkuvma if not for their cultural relevance within Klingon lore.

As long as the mega story is a decent one, with some great new characters introduced, I'm fine with the choice of Etana Jol.

I agree with you and I don't think they should change her.
    As for Cornwell, she didn't have much screen time, but she was one of the more interesting secondary characters, in my opinion. At the beginning of the season, she was the only one questioning and calling out Lorca's behavior, even if she failed to unmask him. She survived the Klingon prison by bonding with L'Rell, which is the only plausible reason they could have convinced L'Rell to agree to their plan in the end (I read in some interview that that's how it was supposed to happen, but I agree that it wasn't very clear on the show though). She and Sarek were the ones who orchestrated the "let's blow up the moon" plan, but she was also the one who in the end gave in to Burnham's suggestion to find a less morally questionable solution. I think she had a really interesting character arc and some memorable moments.
    Also, I love her character :D
  • No
    There are plenty of things wrong with the game, and every time DB/TP do something positive, they can't help themselves but do something stupid too, negating the goodwill they earned and then double downing on said stupid.

So, pick your battles, and whining that the recurring 5* doesn't match your personal expectations seems to be less of a smartly picked battle and more of a pointless tilting at a windmill.
  • Yes
    well it's been all downhill recuring crew wise for megas since the augment event, Ru'afo ok hated but still main villain in a TNG movie, Minuet while good looking seems to be a fan favorite of a good episode. Then comes this ... hot on the heals of picking some stinky characters to be 5* *cough* Layna *cough* but making this a recorring ... wow paper glue must be strong @ DB's HQ
  • Yes
    STT is a product that is essentially continuously being worked on and sold through to the consumers on an ongoing basis via microtransactions and revenue DB generates from advertisements watched by players. Part of ongoing product development means that the game needs to actually appeal to consumers, not actively annoy them. To do that effectively, that means actually taking consumer feedback into account, and collecting it and using it to make and plan and develop the game roadmap.

DB essentially has 100% of the controls and no real outlying accountability unless spending drops off so dramatically that it affects their shareholders/investors. And that’s a problem because it leaves no real ground for players who have actively invested time and money in the game to do much of anything when things are released in a shape that isn’t up to par. It is not entitlement for players who are legitimately customers to want their investment respected and treated with better care. The reality is the business model for purchases in this game is already pretty darn abusive, so arguing “if you don’t like what they’re doing, quit” shows a significant disrespect for what players have already put into the game. Quitting is what you do when you no longer care about a game, not when you’re trying to make it better.

DB swapping Etana for the Sphere Builder is one reasonable way to deal with their latest design fail. It’s not clean, because the reality is there isn’t enough temporal leeway to cleanly fix this. They could also just give out a free Sphere Builder as another compromise apology option.

Again, DB screwed up and needs to be held accountable. That’s not entitlement, that’s the reality of the situation. It’s not something they can fix correctly at this point, so damage control options are the flavor of the week.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    STT is a product that is essentially continuously being worked on and sold through to the consumers on an ongoing basis via microtransactions and revenue DB generates from advertisements watched by players. Part of ongoing product development means that the game needs to actually appeal to consumers, not actively annoy them. To do that effectively, that means actually taking consumer feedback into account, and collecting it and using it to make and plan and develop the game roadmap.

DB essentially has 100% of the controls and no real outlying accountability unless spending drops off so dramatically that it affects their shareholders/investors. And that’s a problem because it leaves no real ground for players who have actively invested time and money in the game to do much of anything when things are released in a shape that isn’t up to par. It is not entitlement for players who are legitimately customers to want their investment respected and treated with better care. The reality is the business model for purchases in this game is already pretty darn abusive, so arguing “if you don’t like what they’re doing, quit” shows a significant disrespect for what players have already put into the game. Quitting is what you do when you no longer care about a game, not when you’re trying to make it better.

DB swapping Etana for the Sphere Builder is one reasonable way to deal with their latest design fail. It’s not clean, because the reality is there isn’t enough temporal leeway to cleanly fix this. They could also just give out a free Sphere Builder as another compromise apology option.

Again, DB screwed up and needs to be held accountable. That’s not entitlement, that’s the reality of the situation. It’s not something they can fix correctly at this point, so damage control options are the flavor of the week.

Interesting perspective, yet a majority of players answering this poll seem fine with the choice of 5*. If 90% of the player-base was in agreement that DB had made an egregious error (ie: nerfing Poly Yar), then your argument would have merit. As it is... not so sure.
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Webberoni wrote: »

Interesting perspective, yet a majority of players answering this poll seem fine with the choice of 5*. If 90% of the player-base was in agreement that DB had made an egregious error (ie: nerfing Poly Yar), then your argument would have merit. As it is... not so sure.

If you dig a little deeper though you’ll notice that the majority don’t like what is going on but many players just don’t think DB is capable of executing the change well enough to merit it. A more damning indictment really.
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I mean presumably the story of the event is about Etana, and Bob the Builder's only involved in week... two, I think? So it'd make no sense for her to pop up every week, and I can't see DB rewriting the storyline at this late stage.

TBH I like Etana more than the Sphere Builder - I can't even properly remember what their plan was apart from just dropping spheres around to make space more like their home dimension, they... manipulated the Xindi, or something (or was that Future Guy?), and Enterprise captured one and... I forget, did they have a conversation? Were they the baddies in that battle we didn't get to see in the 26th Century or whatever? I dunno, they bored me. At least Etana had a personality, I feel like the idea of her pulling off Escape From New Zealand and coming back with another bizarre takeover scheme is fun.