Home Ready Room

Why did you have to ruin Faction Events ?

- The old Faction Event system was actually giving everyone a fair chance. Now it's clearly designed only for P2W, because of the shuttle tokens.
- The new rewards score bars are just absurdly high. 400k ? 100k per day ? Please tell me by what math you can get 100k per day since what used to be the top 1k players were getting 60k per day (and that's only if no excessive failures happened) and that's with quite a few time reducing boosters. Again, P2W.

This game has gone too Ferengi again.

Comments

• - The new rewards score bars are just absurdly high. 400k ? 100k per day ? Please tell me by what math you can get 100k per day since what used to be the top 1k players were getting 60k per day (and that's only if no excessive failures happened) and that's with quite a few time reducing boosters. Again, P2W.

By using a lot more time boosts. I will have used more than 60, maybe 70 of them by the time the event ends. I'm not sure if I will be able to stay into 1k, but I hope so.

Apart from that, I agree with you. The first time I ranked in the 1k was during the Emperor Georgiou event. I decided to overshoot and ranked about 220, by using weaker crew and fewer time boosts than I'm using this time. And I don't think this version of Spock is excessively popular.
    It also means that I won't be able to rank in another faction event until I have replenished my time boosts.

I'm not sure if it's only the shuttle tokens though. The new reward systems and the double-rewards ad for Thursday missions also play into it.
  • The game is rigged. I have multiple 90+% success shuttle failed in a row.
  • lucky you. i'm not even close to 90% at shuttles 2-4
    "I am First Omet'iklan and i'm dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember: victory is life"

VIP-Level: 14
    Fleet: [GER]StarFleet
    Immortals total: 437; 23 Legendaries; 257 Super Rare; 79 Rare; 51 Uncommon; 27 Common

Collections: Rare; Uncommen; Common; Live Long and Prosper; Do no Harm; Chain of Command; The neutral Zone; Valor in Combat; The Daystrom Award; The Eugenic Wars; Rules of Aquisition
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game is rigged. I have multiple 90+% success shuttle failed in a row.

Having similar experience I'm coming up to Troi threshold and there is a chance I might get her but if my 90% 5* skill boosted crew are going to pass/fail at 50% then i might as well just quit right now no point actually wasting those rare boosts. I got a miles better legendary from the 10x pull why bother on a card that you can't use for her event and is unlikely to be of immediate use in the future.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • I've had a lot of failed shuttles in this event. 80% or higher hasn't mattered. I've sent 30% shuttles and had them come back with success over a 90%. I don't get it. I just figured the RNG was mad at me or something.
  • Way To Go DB
    are you deliberately trying to disenfranchise your player base.
    now only the P2W will ever be in the top 1k group.
    i use to buy the occasional extra crew, but now, what is the point.
    we have no chance of even seeing that list.
    i wonder how many possible players you just lost with this bone head Ferengi move.
    think i ll just save my money for some thing else.

oh and By The Way, i have the: Borg Cube, HMS Bounty, and most of the NX01 finished. so why would i ever bother buying the stary skies pack at $25. enjoy your Lamborghini boys, i'm not paying for it.
    DB needs to fire the Ferrengi and higher more Engineers, Rom doesn't count.
    [FSC] Peace Keepers
    Gryphon [****] Adm
  • I was really not happy first time in a long time and I mean a long time I did not finish top 1k. 30 3 star timers, 5 req shuttles that I saved and 3 2x vp boosters all flushed down this one event to finish below 1k. That is crazy to even think in an hour I fell 150 spots in a faction people using boost, dilithium everything you can buy. This morning I was 650 4 hrs later over 1k in rank. Even bringing in shuttles didn't help
  • Aldude wrote: »
    -
    - The new rewards score bars are just absurdly high. 400k ? 100k per day ? Please tell me by what math you can get 100k per day since what used to be the top 1k players were getting 60k per day (and that's only if no excessive failures happened) and that's with quite a few time reducing boosters. Again, P2W.

I am VIP0. I got 400K.
    The "math" you speak of is called "effort".

Faction Events are almost purely about how many shuttles you can send during the event. Let's be real: the "effort" involved is virtually nil. Maybe you mean the effort of building a decent crew?

As the event is designed, 4 shuttles / 3 hours, hitting top 1K and extended thresholds is not possible. That's not a lack of effort, it's poor design. Spending boosts is still not "effort".

Spend money, spend time, spend both. These are the biggest predictors of success for this game. That people take so much pride in these event results is hilarious to me.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That people take so much pride in these event results is hilarious to me.

I suppose that's just human nature. People take pride in their "home town" sports team's successes, even when they had absolutely nothing to do with it (unless they're claiming they won because they cheered so loudly for them in the stands ;)).

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would attribute my personal success to "timing".

I had the 4* Event crew, and some really good 5* support crew.

Unlike most on this forum, I did not use my shuttle rental tokens in the last event. (not that they were much use for me in this event, but I used about 50% of my supply, which leaves me with 8 for the next Faction event)

I have stockpiled a large ammount of 3*, 4* and 5* Shuttle trait boosts, which was significant in this event.
    Why the stockpile? Usually I'm threshold and out in Faction events, cause... why bother?
    This time, there was something to play for and I did it.

For perspective, I have >200 3* time reducers in my inventory.

I was a nazi in my mission selection. I had +88% success in the four 3-seater missions. I was meticulous in maximizing the skill sets for each. I found some success in a fifth shuttle, but that was rare. The 3 seaters where the VP express train was.

I didn't start spending DIL until AFTER I reached 400K VP, because I saw the opportunity to finally land the <250 rank achievement.

(I ended at Rank 226, and two Legendary Cards to the spoils.)

I attribute most of my success to the Rage Quit that happened before the event started. I normally do not rank in the top 1000, but this time, there was a vector which I could pursue.

Did I lose sleep? Not really. At my age, waking up every three hours is now the norm. Pick up the tablet, go to the bathroom. Click Click Drop done. Back to bed. Shewt, I was offline for over eight whole hours on Sunday.

So I agree with the camp that tactics won the day. I did nothing special, just waited for my sniper shot to find its mark.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Aldude wrote: »
    I am VIP0. I got 400K.
    The "math" you speak of is called "effort".

so what MACRO program you using then, or
    do you never: eat, sleep, use the bathroom, or even have any sort of life.
    to me, your very statement makes you suspicious.
    many of us happen to play very well, and have the crew to back us, but
    even we have to sleep some time. miss just one send off, and its all over.
    DB needs to fire the Ferrengi and higher more Engineers, Rom doesn't count.
    [FSC] Peace Keepers
    Gryphon [****] Adm
  • I find it very puzzling that players are complaining about added levels to threshold rewards. Before, we were sending shuttles after 130k points for little to no return. They are there to claim if you feel the need, otherwise have fun playing a pretty awesome Star Trek game. I personally think it would be fine if there were a 500k and 1M threshold reward for those that can get there.
    I can't devote all my time to every event every week, so I pick and choose my moments to grab what I need in the most economical moment and event when I can. We all have limited resources in this game.
  • Now, concerning this specific event (Children of Apollo), my biggest complaint was all the science skills required with an event crew that didn't match!

I started with a completed Platonian Kirk which I shared with my squadron.
    Apollo was completed after reaching the 150k reward 5* item.
    I eventually also had a 3/4* Apollo (Level 80) from the event to use.
    I have 3 other Kirks immortalized, 2 more 1/5* Kirks, Level 100.
    I have 4-5 Trois at various stages of completion (all Level 70-100) that I used here and there, not counting Immortalized Deanna Troi which I could only use a few times. Mintakan Troi is almost finished now, just a few items to go.

So, all told a had a good Dirty Dozen bonus crew I could use for my shuttles.
    I kick started at the beginning and ran the 16 1 1/2 hour shuttles with ***Time Boosts. I used the remaining 10-12 ***Time Boosts during the event. I also used around 8 ****TBoosts (all I had). I used one 2X Rewards Boost on a shuttle I was confident on, but never really had enough oomph for a 5th shuttle to use any requisition tickets.

I stayed in the 500-600 ranks for most of the event, but I'm with you @ScienceRocks, in the last 3 hours I dropped 400+ spots! It was crazy at the end. When I saw the heavy push, I sent out my only shuttle requisition ticket with my last Time Boost and a 71% chance with < 2hrs to go. I liked my chances, but didn't know if it was going to be enough. My last batch of shuttles came in w/ < 10 minutes to go, 4/5 (that req shuttle was a wreck) and I finished with 459,416 points, about 1000 points shy of the top 1000.

I REALLY wanted Mountaineer Spock but came up short. But I did score three 5* crew because of the event: with the extra honor reward (and a few decent voyages during the event) I had enough Honor Points for a Gold Behold!.. I got another BeGold! with the Premium Time Portal threshold reward and also claimed Goddess Troi @400k.

And with one more success anywhere along the way, I could've had Spock too! But I felt like I was fighting against those Science slots the ENTIRE event! I still gave myself a chance at the end. Sure, I could've done just a bit more for the ultimate goal, but didn't know I needed too until after the 3hours-to-go mark and at that point there are only few options left. I didn't think until later I could have brought back maybe 2 shuttles with dilithium I have on hand (which is much cheaper to do now than before if you've noticed). #hindsight Im still deciding if I want to get a few event packs this week.

Yes, I ran shuttles for 4 day. That costs some time during the day (and night), but faction events are the least time consuming of all the event types. I can't always do that every event (I actually have a real Life! [sometimes]), but it is not that difficult if you have internet and a plan. With all the new options now, maybe faction event endings will be more like this one if there is a decent 5* reward we all want. But all these options I CAN get and WILL save for the nextime I can/want to do it.
    I also spent $0 on this event.
  • Darth GrandpaDarth Grandpa ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This time RNG has been very generous to me. Nearly every 75% overnight shuttle was succesfull. A few weeks ago almost every overnight shuttle failed. But I just don't have the time to send out enough shuttles to get to 400k VP anyway, so I'll take what I get, and hope for a better event next time.
  • We are probably at the point now where to reach top 1k in a faction unless it's a really low participation event, you may need to save speed boosts for longer and only compete for top 1k every other faction event, unless you want to spend money/dil every week on extra thursday cadet missions.

I did get top 1k comfortably this event, but my squad leader was generous enough to give me the lead which was a big help, and I had the prior week's legendary (helped with sci slots others mentioned being a problem), and I was SUPER diligent with 3 hour cell phone timers and set alarms overnight 2 nights. I don't think I want to be that committed anymore, so I'm going to start being more selective about which faction events to participate in. It's become too much of a personal life strain. I spent NO dil this weekend, though I did buy one extra set of thursday cadet tickets last week.
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    That people take so much pride in these event results is hilarious to me.

I suppose that's just human nature. People take pride in their "home town" sports team's successes, even when they had absolutely nothing to do with it (unless they're claiming they won because they cheered so loudly for them in the stands ;)).

Fair point. Fandom is a **very warm place of a** **perception altering substance**.
    Aldude wrote: »
    As mentioned before... Faction events require little effort.
    Eating takes 10 minutes. Bathroom takes 2 minutes. 3 HR shuttles are good for that.
    Sleeping takes 6-7 hours. 9hr shuttles are good for that.
    I will, however, concede that I have no life or any friends.

I'm OK with that.

Having no life is the biggest competitive edge one can have in this game, and that's not a dig against anyone here. It was the cornerstone of my game strategy and effort for a year or so. I begrudge no one who similarly benefits from this advantage.

It's a numbers game ultimately and more opportunities yield higher returns. People that can play every three hours or every ninety minutes (adjusting for sleep...or not) inherently have an advantage in this format that can't be matched without significant resource investment. Again, this is fine and it doesn't require macros.

Everything else (excepting having a good crew and a lot of timer boosts) probably amounts to tenths of a percent.

What's problematic is that this level of time/money commitment is increasingly setting the competitive bar for diminishing returns. Since I tend to avoid the rank legendary, this rarely affects me personally. But I know a lot of people still do care, particularly new players, and I remember when being competitive was a goal. It's long past the point where DB needs to start thinking about the 60k+ players outside the top 1K and their experience of the game.

While I can appreciate that DB has finally done something for, shall we say the most devoted players, it has come at the expense of the rest of the playerbase. This dichotomy was completely unnecessary.
  • HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭

Having no life is the biggest competitive edge one can have in this game, and that's not a dig against anyone here. It was the cornerstone of my game strategy and effort for a year or so. I begrudge no one who similarly benefits from this advantage.

Actually that is main point in this new faction. I managed to get to 400k and get Troi exactly 29 minutes before event ended.

I used 40 3* time boosts and 8 tokens for additional shuttles to manage that. Over night I sent shuttles with 9 hours extenders because I need sleep.

But for me main problem with faction is just the fact that I need to be "online" every three hours or less (with time boost) to even compete for new threshold.

I probably won't do that again. My personal time is precious to me and I want to spend it on something fun, not something that takes more planning than my job.

Galaxy and skirmish are much more appealing now because I can play them 2 hours in a row (if I have enough chrons) and take the rest of the day free.
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet