Home The Bridge

Shouldn't a new Honor Hall Crew be imminent?

YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
Bev Picard was released about 2 weeks after The Caretaker so shouldn't we be due for a new 100k crew in the Hall?

Comments

• Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was ~11 months between Kahless and Capt. Bev. being released (March/April-ish). I wouldn't expect a new Honor Hall character until Late Q1/Early Q2 2019.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    Maybe they could forgo a new card, and just add Locutus and Guinan to the honor hall.

ooooh I like that idea
  • Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought surak was supposed to be the crew, but due to other things they brought in Beverly?
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought surak was supposed to be the crew, but due to other things they brought in Beverly?

No one knows. People were guessing Surak. Then we got Beverly. Was Surak planned but then delayed, or was the speculation wrong and it was always going to be Beverly? Unless you were in the meetings at DB where this was planned, you don't know.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably, but they also released Captain Beverly Picard with obviously undertuned proficiencies for her cost and status in the honor hall, something they still haven’t fixed. There’s no point in them pushing out another overcosted, underperforming hallmark character.

There’s nothing wrong with Cap’n Bev. I also used to be in the skeptics pool, but I finally ponied up the honour dough and got her. Plainly put, she’s amazing. High gauntlet scores, very good voyage usability, has a strong combo only matched by one other character (i.e. Reverend Phlox). She makes most of my voyages throughout the week, and provided no one else has super bonuses, she’s typically my go-to MED crew for the gauntlet.

I agree with you totally. One of my most valuable crew members.
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably, but they also released Captain Beverly Picard with obviously undertuned proficiencies for her cost and status in the honor hall, something they still haven’t fixed. There’s no point in them pushing out another overcosted, underperforming hallmark character.

There’s nothing wrong with Cap’n Bev. I also used to be in the skeptics pool, but I finally ponied up the honour dough and got her. Plainly put, she’s amazing. High gauntlet scores, very good voyage usability, has a strong combo only matched by one other character (i.e. Reverend Phlox). She makes most of my voyages throughout the week, and provided no one else has super bonuses, she’s typically my go-to MED crew for the gauntlet.

Yep. Gotta agree too. She's great.
  • Probably, but they also released Captain Beverly Picard with obviously undertuned proficiencies for her cost and status in the honor hall, something they still haven’t fixed. There’s no point in them pushing out another overcosted, underperforming hallmark character.

This is not an accurate reflection of her overall gauntlet viability. She’s not the top Med proficiency, she’s not top Med+Dip, and while a strong Med+Cmd performer, she doesn’t really outperform a few of the other options for that. It doesn’t help that the way they gave her traits versus what shows up favored in Gauntlets, she rarely has significant crit advantages. Usually what ends up happening is people who have Defensive Phlox and Guinan are almost never going to have good reason to run her. She’s not bad, but she does need probably at least another hundred points on each of her lower proficiencies and or a decent extra chunk of med proficiency to be a real contender.

For Voyages, sure, she has utility, but she is being sold in a spot next to Khaless, a Gauntlet all-star; she really should be positioned more powerfully for gauntlet. And while her voyage performance is good, it’s not stellar.
  • Probably, but they also released Captain Beverly Picard with obviously undertuned proficiencies for her cost and status in the honor hall, something they still haven’t fixed. There’s no point in them pushing out another overcosted, underperforming hallmark character.

This is not an accurate reflection of her overall gauntlet viability. She’s not the top Med proficiency, she’s not top Med+Dip, and while a strong Med+Cmd performer, she doesn’t really outperform a few of the other options for that. It doesn’t help that the way they gave her traits versus what shows up favored in Gauntlets, she rarely has significant crit advantages. Usually what ends up happening is people who have Defensive Phlox and Guinan are almost never going to have good reason to run her. She’s not bad, but she does need probably at least another hundred points on each of her lower proficiencies and or a decent extra chunk of med proficiency to be a real contender.

For Voyages, sure, she has utility, but she is being sold in a spot next to Khaless, a Gauntlet all-star; she really should be positioned more powerfully for gauntlet. And while her voyage performance is good, it’s not stellar.

There is nothing that says that the Honor Hall characters are supposed to be or intended to be Gauntlet superstars. It just so happens that the first one was. Beverly's value comes, as others have said, from her all-around utility. She is not the absolute best in any one area, but she is among the best in several. I have not yet bought her (my Reverend Phlox makes her a bit less of a must-have), but if a surplus honor opportunity comes down the line for me, I definitely will.

Khaless set a precedent. True, that’s not a rule, but it’s also not something to dismiss casually either. And I have to be blunt, people here are being far too forgiving of her overall “utility” or “versatility”. Fact is, at 100k honor, she’s not a good investment; she’s a middling one. She is overcosted for the overall value she offers a roster compared to Khaless. This is compounded by the fact that since her primary use ends up being Voyages, she’s a large honor sink over time to realize her potential, whereas Khaless is at his full potency for his best use (Gauntlet) without additional honor investment.

Captain Beverly is Undertuned and/or overcosted; it is really that simple. Undertuned doesn’t mean useless or bad, but it does mean she’s below par for where she should be.
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭

There is nothing that says that the Honor Hall characters are supposed to be or intended to be Gauntlet superstars. It just so happens that the first one was. Beverly's value comes, as others have said, from her all-around utility. She is not the absolute best in any one area, but she is among the best in several. I have not yet bought her (my Reverend Phlox makes her a bit less of a must-have), but if a surplus honor opportunity comes down the line for me, I definitely will.

Khaless set a precedent. True, that’s not a rule, but it’s also not something to dismiss casually either. And I have to be blunt, people here are being far too forgiving of her overall “utility” or “versatility”. Fact is, at 100k honor, she’s not a good investment; she’s a middling one. She is overcosted for the overall value she offers a roster compared to Khaless. This is compounded by the fact that since her primary use ends up being Voyages, she’s a large honor sink over time to realize her potential, whereas Khaless is at his full potency for his best use (Gauntlet) without additional honor investment.

Captain Beverly is Undertuned and/or overcosted; it is really that simple. Undertuned doesn’t mean useless or bad, but it does mean she’s below par for where she should be.

Do I wish she was better? Of course I do. But I've had her for a long while and she gets used a lot. She is very good in Voyages (I have her immortalised), in which medical characters are worth their weight in gold, especially those not in the exact same mould as Cornwell/Guinan/BRBashir. She has the important traits for Voyages too: Starfleet, Federation and Physician.

I couldn't give a rats about Gauntlet personally and characters with high Med are a dime a dozen, but she does get used, but not significantly more often than Guinan or Sulan or the like.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

No one knows. People were guessing Surak. Then we got Beverly. Was Surak planned but then delayed, or was the speculation wrong and it was always going to be Beverly? Unless you were in the meetings at DB where this was planned, you don't know.

If memory serves, Bruce Gray (who portrayed the ENT version of Surak) passed away right around the time Captain Bev was released. Only DB knows whether he was originally intended to follow along with the Forum Hype Machine’s rumors into the honor hall or if he always was going to be the recurring mega crew for April; however, if he was slated for release in a Tuesday pack, honor hall addition, or something else around that time instead of an April release, it would have been exceedingly poor timing.
  • [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

TBH I use Kahless far more often and effectively on Voyages. In Gauntlet he is not the powerhouse he once was. Mirror Picard, Revolutionary Damar and others are comparable, often with a trait advantage over Kahless.

And let’s be real, EVERYONE in the Honor Hall is overcosted. 100k Honor is a boatload, and is a high, high cost to pay for anything, even one of the best cards in the game (EMH is also overpriced, and Picard is cheap but worthless). But if you want them bad enough, they are there for you. If you don’t, you will never be forced to buy them.