Home The Bridge
Options

Changes to Faction Rank Rewards table

SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
Piggybacking off of Shan's most recent comment found here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/comment/135304/#Comment_135304

TippingPoint/Disruptor Beam - It is unfathomable to me, that after nearly 3 years of production and 2.5 years of running faction events, that you would choose to SHRINK the rewards found at the top of the rankings.

For those unaware, rewards for ranks 4 through 25 were each reduced by 1 copy of the Legendary Character.

Your player base has begged, for years, to smooth out the rank rewards, so that there is more incentive to rank higher, as ranks 26-1000 are virtually identical. Instead, you just reduced the number of golds handed out from ranks 4-25, basically down one gold copy.

Expanding the # of golds handed out amongst the top 1000 would INCREASE your revenue. More players would compete to hit rank thresholds in the 26-1000 range. Now, it's 16-1000.

Personally, the last time i placed top 15 in a shuttle event, it took $50 in token packs, roughly 250 3* time boosts, and another 2k dilithium, for 2 extra copies of Mountaineer Spock. 100% WOULD NOT do that again, only for 1 extra copy.

It's ridiculous that it was shrunk for Galaxy events early 2017. It's ridiculous that you copied the rewards table for Galaxy into Skirmish events, and now, the latest Skirmish/Expedition hybrids. Surprisingly, you left faction/galaxy events alone for 2x copies of gold at the top 25. I'm sure that's getting the nerf bat next.

I implore you, stop alienating your player base, look at the big picture, and take a deeper look at what actually gets your player base to spend AND keeps them engaged. I guarantee you, your most recent changes of shrinking the tables and introducing tokens is not doing BOTH of those two things.
/SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
Second Star to the Right - Join Today!

Comments

• Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I totally agree here, and DB is hurting revenue by nerfing ranked rewards for Top5/15/25 , and not increasing ranked rewards(overall) instead.

Yes, there might be more fight for Top15 but i highly doubt, that it makes up for the many people who won t bother to try for Top 25 anymore, since u don t get an add copy of the legendary.

In my squad alone, i had 2 ppl ready to go all out and spend some extra dime for Top 25, now since u nerfed the rewards to just 1 legendary, they only do a relaxed Top 1000, since u only get 1 Leg as well. Extra spending from those players for this event, ZERO.

And as mentioned already, the amount of costs and spendings it takes to make Top 15 in a faction event(except if u saved 100 5+ time boosters and 200 3* and so on) is way higher than 50 bucks...so its cheaper to buy the 50 buck event offer, for an extra copy of the ranked legendary, instead ranking Top 15.

•SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    Hear hear. I think I'll send a complaint mail to support for this.
  • Options
    More poor communication. There still would have been complaints had DB announced the change in advance (unless I missed something, they didn't), but they now also have the complaints because it feels like they were trying to sneak in the changes.
  • Options
    DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have to agree, that this change is more evidence, that DB does not care, or has completely lost touch with its player base. What is the logic of this change? other then to piss people off, and make everyone except the top whales even compete for anything other then under 1k.

if anything the reward tables should be improved, and provide more incentive, not shrunk and add less ;p

Just more reason not to spend, great job DB!
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    For starters, I agree that, by itself, this change is a bad one.

For a while now, pure Factions were the only event type that awarded 2x 5*s out to the top 25. This change brings them in line with the other event types.

I HOPE that this means they are going to be hitting phase 2 of the event rewards. They expanded threshold rewards recently. Maybe this means that they are one step closer to revisiting the rank rewards.
  • Options
    I literally don't care about this change. I'm F2P player and consider most not fully fused gold characters useless.
  • Options
    jestergeniejestergenie ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    DeanWins wrote: »
    I literally don't care about this change. I'm F2P player and consider most not fully fused gold characters useless.

But just because it doesn't affect me that way, doesn't change the fact that it is evidence of DB's lack of concern or regard for its players, and the people who do pay their bills lol...

...which is known from game premiere. :p Nihil novi sub sole.
  • Options
    DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭

But just because it doesn't affect me that way, doesn't change the fact that it is evidence of DB's lack of concern or regard for its players, and the people who do pay their bills lol...

Perhaps, I think most would agree, it has certainly gotten worse, not better.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

Semper ubi sub ubi
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was prepared to spend a little on some extra shuttle boosts/packs (I’ve been saving up the free ones for a while now) in order to have a go at sub-25 rank.

But realising the changes to legendary rewards, I’m not going to do that now.

Possible transaction is now definitely no transaction.
  • Options
    Agreed. The nerfing of rewards, as well as an unwillingness to expand them (26-1000 getting one copy back in the day), is just plain idiotic. However, nothing done by the loons in change shocks me anymore.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I HOPE that this means they are going to be hitting phase 2 of the event rewards. They expanded threshold rewards recently. Maybe this means that they are one step closer to revisiting the rank rewards.

I really want to believe this. History teaches me that I shouldn’t.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are shrinking the rewards at the top, there's no way they can be expanding rewards in any way that will be useful to the players that normally rank in the top 200-300
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    To be truthful, changes to the reward tiers are long needing a complete overhaul, the opposite way TP/DB is taking. The percentage based rewards (again this? yes, I'll hit this button all the time) is fair, and reflects the amount of players playing the event... maybe breathing a second wind into players wanting to enter the above tier of rewards for the next event.

Shrinking rewards range, however, is a policy that is netting them a lot of revenue.
    YES, TP/DB want revenue, and they're getting it this way. I don't question any of it. I merely question how in the long term it will affect paying players. Encouragement? Discouragement? Right now, only time can tell.
    I'm genuinely curious about the answer I'd get from the (over)bosses if I asked what kind of direction they are taking the game to… not as an entertainment product, but as a business.
  • Options
    To be truthful, changes to the reward tiers are long needing a complete overhaul, the opposite way TP/DB is taking. The percentage based rewards (again this? yes, I'll hit this button all the time) is fair, and reflects the amount of players playing the event... maybe breathing a second wind into players wanting to enter the above tier of rewards for the next event.

Shrinking rewards range, however, is a policy that is netting them a lot of revenue.
    YES, TP/DB want revenue, and they're getting it this way. I don't question any of it. I merely question how in the long term it will affect paying players. Encouragement? Discouragement? Right now, only time can tell.
    I'm genuinely curious about the answer I'd get from the (over)bosses if I asked what kind of direction they are taking the game to… not as an entertainment product, but as a business.

I fully agree.

However this specific adjustment and forum thread highlights the differences in player outlooks.

Am I pleased that DB changed back to sub-25? Yes! It’s a positive step.

But, it’s still far away from what we want to see - ie the percentage based approach.

Just for **tsk tsk** and gigs, why not try opening up 2x legendary rewards to sub-1000 rank? maybe it could pay off, maybe not, but we and DB will probably never know because they are too out of touch to even consider it.
  • Options

I fully agree.

However this specific adjustment and forum thread highlights the differences in player outlooks.

But, it’s still far away from what we want to see - ie the percentage based approach.

Just for **tsk tsk** and gigs, why not try opening up 2x legendary rewards to sub-1000 rank? maybe it could pay off, maybe not, but we and DB will probably never know because they are too out of touch to even consider it.

Top 1% of Admiral division is now at 942...

Are there really more than 100k playing in every weekly event as opposed to playing arena at least once every two weeks? Seems like it's more like 60-75k at best.

Percentage based approach only works if the old top 1K = top 5% or thereabouts
  • Options

I fully agree.

Top 1% of Admiral division is now at 942...

Are there really more than 100k playing in every weekly event as opposed to playing arena at least once every two weeks? Seems like it's more like 60-75k at best.

Percentage based approach only works if the old top 1K = top 5% or thereabouts

Why limit it to the same proportion of players? They could try being more generous for just 1 event.

1000th place was just pulled out of thin air as an example of the magnitude of changes I think DB should be experimenting with if they want to encourage player spend.

• Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan - please relay thanks back to the team for changing the faction rewards table back to top 25 for 2x copies of the legendary.

I dont think the change was intentional. For the re-runs of the events they just copy and paste the rewards from last time it was run. Hence going back from Top 25 to Top 15 or whatever it was last time the event was run.

Personally though, the extra effort and expense is not worth the extra star. It has not been worth pushing for top 1000 recently, certainly when all you get if you narrowly miss it is a couple of extra rations and portal pulls.

Jim
    DB: Do Better