Home The Bridge

Lame Begolds vs. Begold Drought

Would you rather have a lame begold with characters you don't want (for whatever reason) or have an extended begold drought?

Lame Begolds vs. Begold Drought 67 votes

Lame Begolds 4 Lyfe
62%
[RotP]Ran AirenCaptain DurfRocpiledext74littlestoatie[SSR] GTMETLeshyK Han Solo Ng & Thank4 All DteaSMM[S47] ELiLGlenn Fiddich(HGH)ApolloOdo MarmarosaJax2UFMirrorMartigan(Doing Better) Captain Beck SunshineRikerDraftedMcCoyParker RobbinsveX 42 votes
I was born in the drought, I was molded by it
17%
[DDF] Marge GundersonTravis S McClainKettleKorn12345678 of 123456789(CSF) Jesus Is Lord [••••]TcalCaptain RomarS31[ISA] Big McLargeHugePGHNateProont5000 Quatloos 12 votes
I have a different perspective (please explain)
7%
Zann Calcore (ISA)RaraRacingIronagedaveThurthoradZetterbeard 5 votes
ZOMG! Why can't DB make it so I get killer begolds all the time!?!
11%
eXo | das411Althea BiermontTaskerJim SteeleTP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)robownageS14 Bri Ishmael Marx 8 votes

Comments

• I was born in the drought, I was molded by it
    Having recently had a streak of 4 lame begolds, I've been questioning the continued value of purchasing more general portal packs and honor begolds.

Droughts aren't exactly fun, but less ultimately disappointing to me than facing the choice of burn a slot vs. gain 550 honor.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Gold crew is gold crew, if I get enough "lame" begolds then they become useful. That's right Admiral Cartwright you're safe..... ..... for now.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • edited January 2019
    Having recently had a streak of 4 lame begolds, I've been questioning the continued value of purchasing more general portal packs and honor begolds.

Droughts aren't exactly fun, but less ultimately disappointing to me than facing the choice of burn a slot vs. gain 550 honor.

Well herein lies one problem...dont buy begolds for honor. The value just isnt there, its much more worth it to spend an extra 5k to KNOW who os getting an extra star, than to play the *cough cough* quite frankly unfair rng game. Unless you are a newer player in which you have no golds...which correct me if im wrong but im getting a newb vibe from the op, dont mean this with any disrespect as...well we all gotta start somewhere. Hope that helps. Btw worst drought for me was over fifty 10x pulls with no golds...ugh that was hard!! And it has molded me, to where i dont really put money into this game anymore...which is sad for db
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭

Well herein lies one problem...dont buy begolds for honor. The value just isnt there, its much more worth it to spend an extra 5k to KNOW who os getting an extra star, than to play the *cough cough* quite frankly unfair rng game. Unless you are a newer player in which you have no golds...which correct me if im wrong but im getting a newb vibe from the op, dont mean this with any disrespect as...well we all gotta start somewhere. Hope that helps. Btw worst drought for me was over fifty 10x pulls with no golds...ugh that was hard!! And it has molded me, to where i dont really put money into this game anymore...which is sad for db

To be fair, there are many sources of begolds.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lame Begolds 4 Lyfe
    I have enough open crew slots that I can absorb several more 1/5*s that don’t do much of anything before it becomes an issue to unfreeze mega event crew. But I don’t buy honor BeGolds because I don’t want to have a crew that is almost solely 1/5*s...citations really are the way to go unless you are starved for legendary crew.
  • DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    Lame Begolds 4 Lyfe
    Usually 5 star crew with enough stars will eventually become good. I had a really bad behold the other day that was brutal as it was my 45k honor reward from the hall. None of the characters I wanted and have a ton I need more stars for. Portal 63 is about the worst character with terrible stats. I picked Daystrom, who at least has gauntlet applicationszcq19fi65mag.png
  • Lame Begolds 4 Lyfe
    Eventually I'll come across the character I want.
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eventually I'll come across the character I want.

This is why i kept buying begolds until i finally got the guy i was chasing, FO Chekov :)

but now with so many new collections that lean very very heavily on 5*s, aren't begolds going to be a main way to be able to get those guys like Beowulf Kim and Xindi Insect Dude?
  • Lame Begolds 4 Lyfe
    Talking about lame begolds...can a get my Smitten Picard I airlocked back? No? Well here's to hoping for more random lame begolds.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Begolds are few and far between in my case ... just because I do not get the opportunity to do portal pulls so often (Galaxy or Galaxy-hybrid events are key in that area) ...

So, it does feel like I'm in a drought most of the time when I see all the amazing pulls people put up on the forums ... but I should take those numbers with a grain of salt and assume I'm average.

For me there is no such thing as a lame begold, either I add stars (awesome) or get new crew in (neat) ... there's probably one choice out of 3 that will pique my interest in some way, not all crew need to be stellar ... hey, that's why I've got Suliban Reed and Orion Vina (at 2/5) on my crew.
    I currently have 10 open spots and can easily double that amount, so I'm always open for new 5*s. I'd never airlock a 5*.

My Honor goes into buying citations, just to speed up the process of immortalising a 5*, but I have yet to immortalise a non-mega event 5*.

So, if begolds come they come, but if not, I'm not worried ... as for the crew option, I'm happy either way and I think I'm still a way off from an all-immortal begold for sure (now that would be lame).
  • edited January 2019
    Thurthorad wrote: »

Not really, buying them with honor which i just explained why to me it is a total waste unless you are a new player (unless there is something im missing which i do encourage you to inform me, not at all sarcastically, because i consider honor spending the most serious part of this game), buying packs which if the numbers arent in your favor then...too bad. The only real way to guarentee a begold without honor is elusive treasures which only rolls around twice a year (i believe) and is still outrageously expensive. Oh and then there is the slim chance of a gold behold in the regular 90k credits pull. Which in my 3.5 years of playing has only happened once to drop a begold, 3 times to drop a purhold (purple behold?). Oh and then there is the possibility of getting an all imo begold which i why higher tier players never get beholds (right? If im wrong and yes im serious please do explain to me where im wrong?) Because the risk of such an occurence...converting 45,000 honor to 550 is a lot worse than spending an extra 5k to KNOW with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY who is getting an extra star. Plus it seems that most begolds drop the older less powerful crew (in my experience, about 30% drop more powerful, newer crew) so buying cites over begolds is good in this regard because...well power creep. Certain newer crew have better overall stats at 1/5 than older crew at 5/5, but those powerful crew may not be available in the portal yet, so again in this case buying cites is (in my opinion) a better option, because paying an extra 5k honor in this game is worth the guarentee of knowing who gets a new star...espically with all the let downs ive gotten from db in the portal.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lame Begolds 4 Lyfe
    Usually 5 star crew with enough stars will eventually become good. I had a really bad behold the other day that was brutal as it was my 45k honor reward from the hall. None of the characters I wanted and have a ton I need more stars for. Portal 63 is about the worst character with terrible stats. I picked Daystrom, who at least has gauntlet applicationszcq19fi65mag.png
    Portal 63 is awesome for avatar alone!
    Let’s fly!
  • I have a different perspective (please explain)
    The only kind of Begolds I don’t like are the ones where I’ve already fully fused or immortalized all three choices. Mainly because I find EVERY gold, even at 1/5 eternally, to be very useful. Also, it’s painful for me to eject a gold crew, especially seeing as how I only end up with 550 in honor for it. Now if the honor exchange were higher I might actually end up throwing away some of the duplicates I’ve developed over time. As to what’s higher but reasonable, I’ve no clue, 1500 maybe?

I should note that I’ve only ever gotten 2, maybe 3 “bad begolds”, as described above, with two of them being just this week thanks to some dilithium and the community pull. I now have two Leonardo Da Vincis and two DA Bones, lol. I have a second Arachnia too but that’s a different story.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, it’s painful for me to eject a gold crew, especially seeing as how I only end up with 550 in honor for it.

Yeah, if I were to airlock all 71 of my 1/5's (which I'd never do) I wouldn't be able to buy even one gold citation. Pretty crappy.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hypothetically, my actual answer would be the first one (lame is ok 'cause even lame ones could add stars to one of my 109 non-FF legendaries). But since I'm going to open some portals this weekend, I didn't want to inadvertently bias RNGesus. Instead, killer begolds please!! ;)

While I generally find unfused golds to be a plague more than reward, I tend to prefer gambling on an honor begold to the boring certainty of adding a second or third star on existing cards. The stat boost at 2 and 3 stars is statistically meaningless. So I either get a 5K discount on a star or potentially a card I want for stat or nostalgia reasons.

I like the intentional aspect of the the honor begold: I spend 45k, I get a begold. As you well point out, 50 premium packs later you may get nothing but blues, purples, and schems.

It's a subtle pleasure that's paid off more often than not.

My recent lame begold streak from portal packs has made me reevaluate if I've reached the point where this rare enjoyment of DBNG is no longer sustainable. It's kind of sad...or meh or whatever... because I don't buy packs often and when I do I expect them to be all honor as most purples are immortalized.

That said, I'm finding the increasing chance of a lame begold to be more onerous than a drought of begolds from packs. Having reached this point, I was curious where others stood. So thanks to you JiL and all the respondents so far. :smile:
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just happy when they pop up.

I've had some questionable ones, but mostly they have been decent.

Ones of my not so good ones.
    b373bhq9u3pv.png

One of my better ones.
    xg2xfj22n14z.jpg

While I generally find unfused golds to be a plague more than reward, I tend to prefer gambling on an honor begold to the boring certainty of adding a second or third star on existing cards. The stat boost at 2 and 3 stars is statistically meaningless. So I either get a 5K discount on a star or potentially a card I want for stat or nostalgia reasons.

I like the intentional aspect of the the honor begold: I spend 45k, I get a begold. As you well point out, 50 premium packs later you may get nothing but blues, purples, and schems.

It's a subtle pleasure that's paid off more often than not.

My recent lame begold streak from portal packs has made me reevaluate if I've reached the point where this rare enjoyment of DBNG is no longer sustainable. It's kind of sad...or meh or whatever... because I don't buy packs often and when I do I expect them to be all honor as most purples are immortalized.

That said, I'm finding the increasing chance of a lame begold to be more onerous than a drought of begolds from packs. Having reached this point, I was curious where others stood. So thanks to you JiL and all the respondents so far. :smile:

Happy to help, and to each his or her own!
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »

Not really, buying them with honor which i just explained why to me it is a total waste unless you are a new player (unless there is something im missing which i do encourage you to inform me, not at all sarcastically, because i consider honor spending the most serious part of this game), buying packs which if the numbers arent in your favor then...too bad. The only real way to guarentee a begold without honor is elusive treasures which only rolls around twice a year (i believe) and is still outrageously expensive. Oh and then there is the slim chance of a gold behold in the regular 90k credits pull. Which in my 3.5 years of playing has only happened once to drop a begold, 3 times to drop a purhold (purple behold?). Oh and then there is the possibility of getting an all imo begold which i why higher tier players never get beholds (right? If im wrong and yes im serious please do explain to me where im wrong?) Because the risk of such an occurence...converting 45,000 honor to 550 is a lot worse than spending an extra 5k to KNOW with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY who is getting an extra star. Plus it seems that most begolds drop the older less powerful crew (in my experience, about 30% drop more powerful, newer crew) so buying cites over begolds is good in this regard because...well power creep. Certain newer crew have better overall stats at 1/5 than older crew at 5/5, but those powerful crew may not be available in the portal yet, so again in this case buying cites is (in my opinion) a better option, because paying an extra 5k honor in this game is worth the guarentee of knowing who gets a new star...espically with all the let downs ive gotten from db in the portal.

Citing vs Begolds for honor, I'm broadly in agreement with you on, though I do think the discounted begolds over the holidays were excellent value. I also find that there are plenty of times when I have crew I know I should cite for gameplay reasons, but I'm just not excited to do it. So the honor builds up and then, yeah I'll pull a begold rather than cite a crew I don't love.

As for lots of begolds, I was swimming in them over the holidays. There were the discounted ones, the For Honor packs, and then all of the pack offers (I bought them all). And you also get them occasionally from blue pulls (about 1.27% of the time), which means you can get them in Gauntlets, at the end of events, in skirmish events, out of dailies etc. You can also get them randomly in event packs at the same probability.

And then there are purple packs now in every event, 2 in Galaxies. Lots of chances for random begolds. Sure there can be droughts, but over a year assuming your buying stuff and playing events hard you should get tons of them.

• Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lame Begolds 4 Lyfe

b373bhq9u3pv.png

One of my better ones.
    xg2xfj22n14z.jpg

Did you choose Culber, Yar or Odo?
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭

b373bhq9u3pv.png

One of my better ones.
    xg2xfj22n14z.jpg

Did you choose Culber, Yar or Odo?

I chose Odo since I had wanted that one for a while and good base dip is more useful than good base med.
  • between community rewards and other "purchases", I was averaging about 3-4 begolds per month.
    Portal begolds seemed to have dried up (about 1 in 25 10x packs now). I rarely buy packs anymore since I have all the crew cards immortalized except the golds.

I was purchasing begolds in honor hall about once a month, but recently I realized I needed to change strategy and start doing more gold citations to finish a couple crew in the collections I need done for their bonuses.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...