Home Make It So!
Options

Admiral ability to assign squad placement and re-assign squad leaders.

Fleet Admirals need to be able to reasign squad leads when needed,
so we are do not have too dismiss an AWOL Squad leader because he could get away from work
and ability to re-assign squad member placement
for when we get those obnoxious new joins that think they are a squad lead at L10 and no crew to support them.
DB needs to fire the Ferrengi and higher more Engineers, Rom doesn't count.
[FSC] Peace Keepers
Gryphon [****] Adm

Comments

• Options
    Awesom that as well as making a co-admiral or vice admiral position for the same exact Reason when an admiral goes out, There is no one to control the fleet. We do need more options to keep our fleets running smoothly as time goes on. Some ppl inevitably suddenly disapear and the entire fleet should not suffer for lack of leadership in emergency circumstance.
  • Options
    +1 on both of those suggestions
  • Options
    [FSC] Adm: Gryphon[FSC] Adm: Gryphon ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    sadly,
    like so many issues that DB has ignored for years,
    this seems to have been brushed under the carpet.
    ;-(
    DB needs to fire the Ferrengi and higher more Engineers, Rom doesn't count.
    [FSC] Peace Keepers
    Gryphon [****] Adm
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Admiral to "lock" starbase rooms as well......
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Hope1010Hope1010 ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    How about a mutiny function against the existing Admiral (mind you, I have a great admiral)?
    * It would become available only to officers when the admiral has been absent for a specific period of time (a week, a month...)
    *An officer can then initiate a poll with other officers through some voting feature.
    * If there is not a majority, the mutiny fails and does not become available for some period of time.
    * If there is a majority, the mutiny succeeds and the senior officer will become the admiral.
  • Options
    Hope1010 wrote: »
    How about a mutiny function against the existing Admiral (mind you, I have a great admiral)?
    * It would become available only to officers when the admiral has been absent for a specific period of time (a week, a month...)
    *An officer can then initiate a poll with other officers through some voting feature.
    * If there is not a majority, the mutiny fails and does not become available for some period of time.
    * If there is a majority, the mutiny succeeds and the senior officer will become the admiral.

This sounds good, but I guess that it would be complicated to implement. The easier way would be to have a vice-admiral, who has the ability to demote the admiral and take their place. As an admiral, you would choose someone you trust for that role, so I don't think there would be too many problems with it.

Something similar to the solution you describe is already existing, I think, through a request to CS. Or at least I think that I read other players mention this possibility.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Before DB does anything, ANYTHING, they need to install a chat/messaging setup or system that enables the fleet to communicate and message each other. Why did they put in all of buttons and chat areas but leave them nonfunctional? Because that is what my fleet has: a crap pile of parts for a message system that does not work. No idea how bad it is for others, but the failure or pretense of a functional system has caused major problems, everything up to and including players dropping out of the fleet if not the game.

I agree with much of what has been said, but let me offer some perspective.

I am the Admiral of a very strong, always full fleet. Was not that way when I joined by picking one randomly. The 32-member roster consisted of around 9 core players with an Admiral AWOL 9 months. I was new, to the game and the fleet, but it was clearly a bad, dead fleet, so I decided to move onward.

When I logged on to do so, I saw weird things. I had a message from DB that said I had been promoted to an Officer. I was not real happy, as nothing made sense. There was no Admiral to promote me, nor any reason to do so, being new and low level. Deeply suspicious, I started looking around to see what was happening, and at some point I realized I was not only an Officer, but a Squadron Leader. Whut?

A few moments later, I am the Admiral. Long story short, someone in the fleet had been working on DB to transfer Admiral position from our missing version. For personal reasons, he did not want to do it, and for reasons I still cannot justify, he picked me, without having exchanged a single message with him or anyone in the fleet. It was not random. He had a few factors to consider about other players, so there I was.

I declined. Not salvageable, etc. but was persuaded by the enormous challenge laid out for me. Why a guy on a different continent thought I would or could, will never know. Long back story. Sorry, but had to make clear how utterly clueless I was about where I started.

I guess I took the approach anyone would if handed a thingamabob and asked to fix it, even though you have never held one or knew how it worked. Look for broken parts and fix the problems that you see are not working and (Ahem, DB) correct the things that were not built right from the start.

Structure. What you are complaining or asking DB for is something that struck me from the first day. It is a nonsense blend of Autocratic power- too much, IMO, in 90% of the situations, and pure helplessness in 10% of the remaining. The only way to make it work was to give the power to the fleet, ceding dictator power to leaders in a hierarchical system that is sorta already in place, but it is as if DB quit working one that aspect a few days early and never finished.

My fleet is very good, one of the best in the game, but NOT because I am good. There is no need for a mutiny, recall, or whatever to replace me. If asked to step down, I will do so, because I worked too hard to build it and do the best thing for the fleet that, if the fleet thinks they are better if I am replaced, I stand relieved.

Structure and power to the fleet. The game has Squadrons and Leaders. They are in charge of their squad. When they do not do their job, people change squads or open a new one (polite to ask me first so I am aware of a problem). My job is to make sure the Squad Leaders do theirs, help them in any way I can, and to constantly assess the potential future Squad Leaders, those that I think can step up when needed (Funny how the best ones almost always, when I ask if they are ready to do so, are surprised and say “Me? I am still learning! You really think I am ready?” Yes. Yes I do because you are 30 levels higher than I was when I became Admiral.)

Good players rise, lazy ones leave. Or get booted.

Two things I cannot change are baffling as to why DB left easy to fix holes in the setup. Already discussed are things I had a problem with very early. The way we function, I do not want to be involved or have power over intra-Squad issues. That is the SLs role, and I will give them all the advice and support they need and deserve. But when a SL quits, why punish the squad members by dissolving the squad?

The fix is easy, and it can be applied to the other glaring problem, the very problem that somehow landed me in the Admiral chair. The fix: when someone opens a squadron, the first person that joins it become the Vice Leader automatically. After that, the job can be reassigned. The Vice automatically gets the Squad Leader job if the SL quits or leaves. Whatever reason.

Apply that same solution to the Admiral position. What makes this so baffling as to why it is not a functioning part of the operation of a fleet is a detail very few know, including the Admirals. There is a button on every fleet members dashboard to use if you want to leave the fleet. Admirals have it, too. I was bothered by how easily it could get hit accidentally. If the Admiral quits, what happens to the fleet?

I assumed it would dissolve the fleet. My worst fears came true one day when it happened I somehow hit the button accidentally. Fortunately, their is a fail safe. To leave the fleet, an Admiral must promote someone else to the job. So think about that. What we want, what we need, technically speaking, is already there.

So, in order to put someone in the Vice Admiral position is easy. But the Admiral must leave the fleet to do so. How silly is it that the setup, a much needed, requested, vital functional improvement to the game that we all wan, is in place, ready to be deployed.

How typical of DisBeam to ignore the players and the easiest possible fix, one that is already in place, in utter disregard of major player complaint?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Note that an Admiral cannot abandon the fleet by leaving it. An Admiral can abandon the game by negligence and just quit playing or dissolve it one member at a time. But if you are in a fleet that has an Admiral that would do that, the signs are there.

This is a game. Actual military rules and discipline do not work or apply. Giving a Vice Admiral power to dethrone will never work. I made a pledge to my fleet that I would never abandon them, but I will not be here forever, either. Something tragic could happen tonight. As I told them, if I disappear from the game, it means I am dead. Sorry about that in advance, fleet.

I have a Vice Admiral, but only that person knows it. Since there is no official position, it would bring problems to make it known to all. If you can really trust someone to take over should something happen, share your account login info
    with them. Not suggesting you do this, only that I have a Vice and an emergency plan contingency.

DB has made it clear that are not going to do anything.
  • Options
    It would be nice if the admiral or officers could do this.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...