Home Make It So!
Options

Gauntlet QoL Improvement

I'd like to see a gauntlet interface that shows the win chances of the possible match-ups. Probably you are - like me - not good at calculating the percentages in your head. On the other hand, the game has all the necessary information and could easily display the actual chance of a bout.
Frankly, this absolutely vital QoL improvement cannot be too hard to implement, and it is mystifying that it is not already there.

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps DB should consider that since STT is a strategy game, gauntlet should involve players being able to use some strategy. When players regularly lose matchups in which they have 210% higher basic numbers and a critical hit percentage advantage, it’s no longer a strategy game, it’s just random nonsense. Yes, we expect some upsets now and then, but gauntlet as it is now is just an irritating crap shoot.
  • Options
    Perhaps DB should consider that since STT is a strategy game, gauntlet should involve players being able to use some strategy. When players regularly lose matchups in which they have 210% higher basic numbers and a critical hit percentage advantage, it’s no longer a strategy game, it’s just random nonsense. Yes, we expect some upsets now and then, but gauntlet as it is now is just an irritating crap shoot.

To quote the words of Q right when you engage, it's for fun. Don't take it too seriously, this is only a game, after all.
    Account on it's final tour, soon to be retired!
  • Options
    Percentages would be nice.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Won't let me post the screenshots, but...

Four Gauntlet matches this morning...

Kahless 65% vs Kahless 65%… crits 2-5... defeat
    Caretaker 45% vs Caretaker 45%... crits 1-4... defeat
    Surak 45% vs Surak 45%... crits 1-3... defeat
    Kai Opaka 45% vs Sulan 5%... crits 0-2... defeat?!

… you have to wonder what the point of maxxing out Collection and Starbase bonuses was.
  • Options
    Jameson, I have been having similar results as of late. More so lately than in recent past. I am curious if there has been a change in DB's formula here.
  • Options
    Jameson wrote: »
    Won't let me post the screenshots, but...

Four Gauntlet matches this morning...

Kahless 65% vs Kahless 65%… crits 2-5... defeat
    Caretaker 45% vs Caretaker 45%... crits 1-4... defeat
    Surak 45% vs Surak 45%... crits 1-3... defeat
    Kai Opaka 45% vs Sulan 5%... crits 0-2... defeat?!

… you have to wonder what the point of maxxing out Collection and Starbase bonuses was.

Apart from your last example, which is a true bad beat, I have to wonder what the point of selecting multiple mirror matches is, especially at that high of a crit percentage. There's very little upside and a large chance to get outrolled in those scenarios.
  • Options
    JamesonJameson ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Apart from your last example, which is a true bad beat, I have to wonder what the point of selecting multiple mirror matches is, especially at that high of a crit percentage. There's very little upside and a large chance to get outrolled in those scenarios.

I've got the max Collection bonus (Proficiency min/max +3%/+3%) and Starbase bonus (Proficiency min/max +5%/+5%). All those crews are also FE maxxed. Until the Gauntlet Unique collection was added, you couldn't get stronger Gauntlet crews. It was the first four duels of the day, and you'd expect one, maybe two, to be closely fought defeats, but they weren't even contests. The first three were against weaker twins because that's all that was offered, and the only reason I bother with Gauntlet anymore is Merit farming... so I passed on the chance to refresh. When you're faced with a choice between six clones, I just pick the weakest and hope to keep the Win Streak alive.

The Opaka v Sulan duel was DIP/MED... I hit 521, 393 and 536... but ran into 370, Crit 1048, Crit 1576 >.<
  • Options
    The matches aren’t truly random at all, since essentialy all computers rely on pseudo random number generators (except the very complex, theoretical “true random number generators” — very advanced systems at places like MIT, NASA, et al). Unfortunately it’s a fundamental problem with the way computers, and moreover, programmers develop algorithms for games of chance. I’d be willing to bet a kidney that DB’s engineers don’t really put a lot into their gauntlet (or any random number) algorithms, nor would it surprise me if they incorporate a “house advantage” into them. The end result is that the numbers aren’t random at all, but closer to patterned based on some mathematics I don’t have the energy or desire to type out (google it). The class(es) or subroutine(s) that power the game are very likely far less reliable than we would expect them to mathematically be.

When you add the gambler’s fallacy (a concept in logic, not an insult) and not-really-random-numbers together, plus whatever else DB engineers may have added to give the “house” an edge, it explains a heck of a lot about why the numbers come up so wonky. Wonkyness appears in most pseudo randomizing algorithms to begin with.

Since STT bases a lot of what we do in the game on randomness and percentages, it would be no great shock if they stop when it seems fair enough without ironing out any extra wrinkles. The wrinkles create frustration (like in gambling), which messes with our brains’ reward systems, thus pushing us to try and even the odds by spending more money or time playing the game (which drives up the cost of advertising, another revenue stream).
  • Options
    ^^^
    The House always wins!
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a gauntlet interface that shows the win chances of the possible match-ups. Probably you are - like me - not good at calculating the percentages in your head. On the other hand, the game has all the necessary information and could easily display the actual chance of a bout.
    Frankly, this absolutely vital QoL improvement cannot be too hard to implement, and it is mystifying that it is not already there.

First, I'm pretty sure the whole point is that most people can't run the percentages in their heads, so the game entices you to take chances that maybe you shouldn't. And then maybe you lose. And then - maybe - you spend dilithium to refresh/extend. And the house smiles.

Second, hypothetically, do you think the complaints about bad beats would decrease or increase if everyone had the exact percentages displayed? I have visions of entire threads devoted to complaints about losing a 52/48% matchup because "hey, I was favored", along with the ensuing arguments about whether 52/48 means you are really a 2% or a 4% favorite.

I'm not opposed to your point, but I also don't know how much better the game would be. (Disclosure: I say this as someone that has never had percentages displayed for me in gauntlet matchups, so perhaps I don't know what I'm missing.)