Home Make It So!
Options

Official API for 3rd Party Tools

With the recent happenings with iampicard, I propose that DB make a publicly available secure web API available. This would allow for an official interface that 3rd party tools could be created, yet the information controlled by DB. I would suggest API functions that allowed read-only functionality, no direct manipulation of the game itself.

I believe most of the community wants to be able to query information about their accounts.

The kinds of functions I would recommend would be things:
  • The ability to get a list of an individual users characters and their stats.
  • The ability to get a list of a user's inventory.
  • The ability to get a list of a user's ships.
  • The ability to get the stats of any character given a set of parameters (e.g. 2/5 FF Level 55, items 1 & 2 equipped, with 3 & 4 missing).
  • The ability to get information about the current voyage (primary, secondary stats, ship stats, bonus skill for each slot).
  • The ability to get information about the current gauntlet round.

I believe things like this would still give the general population the information they want, without allowing for manipulation of the game itself. It would also allow different developers to create different tools.
"If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."

Comments

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seconded, even if it were only the first four items. Exporting data is a painful, error-prone process right now and an export function would make things much easier for further analysis.
  • Options
    I THIRD THIS MOTION
  • Options
    I'm in favor of this wholeheartedly and additionally so as it spits in the eye of the doxxing petaQs.
  • Options
    mejoyhmejoyh ✭✭✭✭
    bump!
  • Options
    Mr. RiderMr. Rider ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I am on board for this too, tools are needed, I have used them in the past to make informed choices.
  • Options
    FetaroFetaro ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    We need to know what we are allowed to do, and what are the different APIs we can call. Even if the API documentation is not ready, we need to know what we are allowed to do.

If you answer "You can do everything excepted macros", you'll have precise your definition of macros, since it is kinda vague. For some people, a button to recall a voyage is a macro. For instance, was IAP 100% ok?

We need to have a clear statement from you, since some people will feel like what we'll do isn't authorized, with its lot of nasty consequences.
  • Options
    NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Fetaro wrote: »
    We need to know what we are allowed to do, and what are the different APIs we can call. Even if the API documentation is not ready, we need to know what we are allowed to do.

If you answer "You can do everything excepted macros", you'll have precise your definition of macros, since it is kinda vague. For some people, a button to recall a voyage is a macro. For instance, was IAP 100% ok?

We need to have a clear statement from you, since some people will feel like what we'll do isn't authorized, with its lot of nasty consequences.

That is why what I propose doesn't actually support any game interaction. This is requesting an official query-only interface. It would allow for requesting information (crew, ships, etc), but no actual interaction with the game. It removes any direct game automation.
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • Options
    I know this is an old thread, but I wonder if we've made any progress. As all have stated before, I'm only looking for a read-only API that I can log in to with my credentials, and then pull down a few simple lists, such as:

- My current crew (with all pertinent stats)
    - A list of all AVAILABLE crew, with indicators (counters) of how many I have (0 = don't have yet)
    - A list of all ships, indicating which I have (and levels) and don't have
    - A list of all items available in inventory, and the quantity I have (0 = have none)

You can program the API to limit the # of calls per day by user ID and/or IP address (10? 20?). There would be no "put" capability to change anything in the game. Since we would need our credentials to log in, you would know who contact if someone gets out of hand.

OR: You could simply allow an "export" feature in the game, under settings, where we could request those lists exported as CSV to the current device. This would prevent full-scale automation, and you wouldn't need the API, as the user is already logged in to the app.

This data would be very useful for us long-time players to make decisions on which crew we want to keep active or freeze, or help us find the right crew for events and missions.

So, what do you say?
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://datacore.app/voyage/
    ...does pretty much this.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    [10F]risky Dingo[10F]risky Dingo ✭✭✭✭
    https://datacore.app/voyage/
    ...does pretty much this.

This is true. And datacore is GREAT. However... I would still like an official API to be made available for the use by 3rd party developers. One of the "problems" with datacore is not being able to do things like calculate a voyage while on your phone/mobile device.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/