Home Ready Room

Should I cite Borg Troi.

Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Ready Room
The perceived wisdom is never to cite 4* crew, but I have 3/4 Borg Troi, who if cited will complete a cryostasis collection. This will give me a 1% boost on Engineering.

I am thinking yes, as I have a 4* cite in the mail box from aeons ago, but am curious what others think given the cite is worth honor.

z9zukf6q06ep.jpg

Should I cite Borg Troi. 46 votes

No.
26%
[KM]VidemJim SteelecmdrworftytlalJailbird [GER] StarfleetAandraa[ISA] Big McLargeHugeAldude+10FH/STA+ StormyJoeSage 2(TGE) Rajin nocadlee 12 votes
Yes, defiantly
30%
Skizzy • VIP0 • §ëRocpilelittlestoatieLeshyRaraRacingOdo Marmarosa[Deleted User]Gib - Admiral MarinersDavideBooksMúspell[BAD]YeldoowSymorisFleet Admiral Jedrek A. SilvT'Rama 14 votes
Yes, but only if you have a lot of honor.
43%
Zann Calcore (ISA)[DB - Do Better]   ProwlerAuntieAKettleKorn(10F)GeekgirlDuskblazeCaptain ZloggShy Khan[DC] Picard Loves RedsUebermindDirk GundersonsagimaProont5000 QuatloosCaptain SMR(UFP) Garak ZiyalDryvetymeBadTrekDadCommander Shranguest_991911545987072 20 votes

Comments

• ACEACE ✭✭✭
    Cite = to quote, especially an authority.
    ?
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    cite = buy a citation with honor. 18,000 honor for a 4* cite, 50,000 honor for a 5*. It would take my 3/4 to 4/4 and immortalise her.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only once ever cited a 4* with honor (Tommy Gun Dixon, a personal favorite that I just couldn’t wait for a lucky drop to finish). I would use the citation in your mailbox; however, if you think that would be better spent elsewhere, make sure you have enough excess honor saved up for an early citation on next month’s recurring legendary. 1% boost to ENG is nice but you may get more of an overall benefit from an extra star on a legendary crew instead.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes, defiantly
    I would have said no, but in your case, the citation also means a boost to your other crew. That makes it well worth it, IMO.

Edit: I just checked and I am in the same position you are. There goes my honor stock.
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would normally say never cite a SR, but:
    1. she will complete your collection, which is one of the harder ones. The other SRs will take a while to drop.
    2. She has exceptional voyage skill for a SR
    3. She will have good event bonus crew replay value, and I think is still the only Borg with med

Value wise, I look at that as similar to keeping a decent 1/5 around for event and occasional voyage use. So I would strongly consider the cite in your case. Or rolling the dice on a crew pack...
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.

• Sorry to change the topic a bit, but I've never seen this before. How is the game in phase 2, but the rewards are stuck in phase 1? Most knowledgable people, help please. (I tried to post a screenshot, but I'm too new to do so per fourm rules.)

• DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, defiantly
    Sorry to change the topic a bit, but I've never seen this before. How is the game in phase 2, but the rewards are stuck in phase 1? Most knowledgable people, help please. (I tried to post a screenshot, but I'm too new to do so per fourm rules.)

The rewards are based on the event, not the phase. There are not phase 2 rewards different from phase 1. The only exception is with galaxy events where one of the phases has community rewards.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, defiantly
    I would cite in your case ... you're going to boost ALL your crew's ENG by 1% ... better Voyages, Shuttles etc., so yes, you are immediately impacting your game for the better at a very low cost.

Unlike the others above ... I used to cite my 4* crew from Faction and Skirmish events, I stopped after Wedding Day Quark (mid-October 2018) when I saw that crew space issues were sufficiently mitigated and I could start directing my attention elsewhere (i.e. 5*s other than mega-event 5* crew).

I've never regretted it, many of those were part of collections, or as 3/4 would have been cluttering up crew quarters for ages ... just look at the most recent ones that I didn't cite ... B-4, K'mtar Alexander, Demora Sulu, Penk, Michael Sullivan and now Troi ... none of those (other than Troi) will likely ever be featured in another event or be useful in any aspect of the game for me and so will be in 3/4 limbo until they get added to the portal and then I get lucky enough to pick them up somehow, to then be instantly frozen.
    Troi is actually the best 3/4 of that whole list (only Alexander is also part of a collection I've not completed), and one I don't mind having 3/4 to be honest, as there are a fair amount of Troi/Borg events.

The only situation I wouldn't cite is if I had less than 45k Honor ... but you've even got the citation in the mail ... with less than 45k Honor, it will be difficult to quickly get to 50k to cite the upcoming mega-event 5*, which will probably be around soon.
  • LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes, defiantly
    I am thinking yes, as I have a 4* cite in the mail box from aeons ago, but am curious what others think given the cite is worth honor.
    Unless you can actually convert that citation into honor, it is not 'worth' any actual honor. Spending the citation only costs you honor in the sense that you would have to purchase another 4* citation if you wanted to use another one in the future.

Given that Assimilated Troi is a new event crew that you are unable to get in any other way (aside from purchasing packs through dilithium) and can provide you with a 1% Engineering boost to all crew, she seems like a pretty good candidate to receive it.

The only reasons to not cite her would be a) if you actually had to purchase a citation to do so, or b) if her stats are useless to you (this depends on what other crew you have) and you can easily immortalise another Borg to get the collection reward.
    Leshy wrote: »
    The only reasons to not cite her would be a) if you actually had to purchase a citation to do so, or b) if her stats are useless to you (this depends on what other crew you have) and you can easily immortalise another Borg to get the collection reward.

I’ll add one more reason: saving the citation for a voyage-only crew member like Fierce Guinan, Colonel Worf, Leonard McCoy, or Ensign Picard.
  • Yes, defiantly
    You show that 4* card who's boss.
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankyou all how answered.

I have cited her, the only other time I have cited a SR was Mother Horta so that I could freeze her
  • Yes, but only if you have a lot of honor.
    The perceived wisdom is never to cite 4* crew, but I have 3/4 Borg Troi, who if cited will complete a cryostasis collection. This will give me a 1% boost on Engineering.

z9zukf6q06ep.jpg

I'd do it if you have plenty of 4/5* ENG crew and 2.5 times the honour you will be spending.
    Account on it's final tour, soon to be retired!
  • Yes, defiantly
    Why is it "perceived wisdom to not cite 4*"?

No wonder everyone struggles for crew slots. I have cited many 4* just to freeze them.
  • LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    Yes, defiantly
    I think the general consensus is that the best way of spending honour is to save up for 5* citations.

In general, 4* crew are a lot easier to come by, so you have a much higher chance of getting that last star through some other means, which is much less the case for 5* crew.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    No.
    If you buy packs regulary than odds are youll get her again in a pull eventually (once she is added that is). If your a FTP then odds are your at the slot wall. A cite may well be worth it to freeze her **tsk tsk**.
    DB: Do Better
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    I prefer the save for 5* approach. I'll eventually get the 4th star or spend the 9.99 for the pack to get it.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Yes, but only if you have a lot of honor.
    I wasn’t sure if I’d be defiant about citing ANY crew member so I went with the third option. Anyhow, she’s a good, solid purple with a nice, three skill combo; if you happen to have a purple citation laying around then absolutely use it and get her immortalized. She’s in the Borg Collection and will probably show up in the Timelines’ Originals Collection soon as well, or at least we all hope. Not only all that, but she’s also a Deanna Troi variant and main star character so it’s much more likely she’ll show up for an event in the future, even if it’s just as a secondary variant. Basically, useful. She’s very useful, plus cool.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.

No wonder everyone struggles for crew slots. I have cited many 4* just to freeze them.

It’s all about the value of a 4* citation. 18,000 honor is a little steep, even for the final star on a really good 4* crew, compared to 50,000 for a star on a 5* crew when 4*s are far more likely to pop up in purchased event/premium/ET packs and threshold/ranked/achievement/collections reward packs. Clearly, you place a higher value on open slots and it’s a strategy that works for you.

This is one thing that newer players I think have a definite disadvantage on compared to those of us who have been around for a while, particularly VIP0/F2P players. The premium portal pool is a lot more diluted now than it was two years ago and it will by nature be harder to fully fuse crew from random drops. I’m comfortably at 162/210 slots now (with one event crew out of the freezer and another 4/4* just waiting to be FE’d before freezing) but earlier on I had to airlock a number of 3* crew and even couple higher than that (Rianna Mayweather, a 4/4* not-FE Captain Janeway, and CD Quark) and eventually freeze some duplicates (yet another Captain Janeway and a Mirror Uhura) to keep from going over the limit.

Granted, at least there is the cryostasis vault to be able to freeze crew...and honor for citations, for that matter. I shudder to think what it would be like to try and manage crew today without those tools.
    Yes, defiantly

I don't spend money on the game so portal pulls (especially ones that will for certain yield a 4*) are few and far between. At the time I was citing 4* crew, the extended Threshold rewards were not in existence so I basically was banking on Galaxy or Galaxy-hybrid events to get the 10x pack Community Prize.
    Now, with the new Threshold prizes, I can pretty much get a 10x pull on a weekly basis netting a guaranteed 4*.

So, even for F2P players getting 4* crew in is becoming more common. For that reason I would never cite a 4* that is in the current portal pool because, who knows you can pick them up on a Voyage or they'll drop through a 10x pull that you can now do every week. So, give it a little time and patience and you can fuse up most of your crew.
    Furthermore, older crew are often part of the event reward structure* (see 1701 Dax and Drone Seven) so with a little patience you might be able to fully fuse them that way ... I've had a 1/4 1701 Dax for ages, so hopefully I'll have her immortal by Monday evening ...

However, DB are extremely slow in updating the portal pool, so some new event crew may take a year to get there (and then you still need luck to get them) ... if you're pressed as a F2P it just might be the way to go ... personally I'd rather spend 18k Honor than have to airlock new crew due to crew space issues. Crew I'd consider are:
    - Voyage-only crew (only the 3-Dilemma ones);
    - New event 3/4 crew that are part of a collection I am (close to) completing.

But, as I already explained before, I now have 15 seats open on my crew list (and I haven't even ditched my 2*s and 3*s yet) so I've made the shift to 5*s (have been able to purchase 8 5* citations since doing so). I don't see myself citing a 4* any time soon.

Hey, I remember buying 5* trainer packs with Honor in the first week it opened just to power level through some of the 3* crew I was still holding ... I don't regret that either (people made disparaging comments about me collecting all these "useless" crew ... and then we got Collections ...) ... I think sometimes the advice here is given without too much consideration if people actually want to spend on the game or not ... or with the view that only the best is worthy.

Anyway, sermon over.

*Actually, when I cited crew we were going through a spell of two new 4*s with each event ... but that has since stopped.
    Yes, defiantly
    I wasn’t sure if I’d be defiant about citing ANY crew member so I went with the third option. Anyhow, she’s a good, solid purple with a nice, three skill combo; if you happen to have a purple citation laying around then absolutely use it and get her immortalized. She’s in the Borg Collection and will probably show up in the Timelines’ Originals Collection soon as well, or at least we all hope. Not only all that, but she’s also a Deanna Troi variant and main star character so it’s much more likely she’ll show up for an event in the future, even if it’s just as a secondary variant. Basically, useful. She’s very useful, plus cool.

She actually made it ... as a 3/4 ... into a MED seat on the SEC/SCI Voyage I'm just about to complete ... made it to 8 hours with ease ... Prospect Burnham (4/4) was the only other 4* present.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have that super rare citation - I don't have any of the 3 parter voyage exclusive crew yet (yeah RNG **tsk tsk**). Ergo I will most likely only use it for one of them eventually when I have unlocked them, but as its a free citation and not actually using honor. I don't see the problem citing Troi as she is the latest possible Not In Portal but if you could trade that citation in for 18k honor well... that's another story.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO