Home Make It So!
Options

Idea for Event Crew Tweaking

SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in Make It So!
I have long thought about characters we can earn in this game that will most likely never be "event" crew and are relegated to at best, "bonus" crew, at worst, "standard" crew (in the events we play). I wonder if there isn't a way to incorporate them into events and get a little spot light? Possibly a 2.5 modifier, or give one of those crew "event crew" status with the 3x multiplier? Just a thought.
“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...

Comments

• Options
    Do you have any specifics you could mention here so I can follow along better? in principle I like your idea I am just curious about your implementation so I am sure I understand fully and throw my support behind your idea :smile:
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I’m curious if DB could possibly find a way in the storyline to incorporate, for lack of a better term, a wild card character into events that could be treated as more than simply bonus crew (or in many cases just standard crew). Namely those crew that we gain outside of the standard events (characters like Timicin [5*] or some of our earned voyage 4* characters). If not giving that crew a 3x modifier, my thought is something like a 2.5x modifier. For me, not only would it tweak events a little bit, but also make some of those non-event crew a little more relevant and add a little excitement in obtaining those character cards. Hopefully, that explanation helps.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    It does, thanks! I'm all for making characters more relevant. Especially with DB always making new crew and so many not having a use in gauntlets, voyages, or shuttles. I wrote about this extensively with the survey they put out around Christmas\new year.

I think they way to go would be for them to continue making new crew as they have been (they won't slow down because it's a money maker, which I'm ok with) and use more previous crew in the events, and make it to where every weekly event has featured crew with bonuses that make a real difference. This week's for instance the bonuses are nearly meaningless, and there is at least 1 other event type which the same can be said about.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the continuous use of existing 4* crew as bonus variants for events is a great vehicle for making this happen, one that gets maybe a little under-used at times (perhaps for narrative or bonus crew availability reasons). 1701 Jadzia was just featured in at least her second event, for example.

Even so, that doesn’t solve the issue of older 5* crew getting left in the dust. Perhaps DB could start using older, weaker 5* crew as an additional existing event crew and make them pack-only so the rewards tables don’t need a tweak right after DB said they were standardizing rewards across all events. This wouldn’t be be terribly different from re-run events with the old 5* replaced in the ranked rewards by a new 5* (and should really be identical from a coding standpoint).

This helps players get a little more mileage out of their older crew, DB gets a better chance for score inflation without going overboard on the availability of small bonus crew, event packs give us a better chance of landing an older 5* that we might want for additional stars or for collection purposes, and DB further increases pack purchases by people who get the old 5* while chasing the new 5*. Win-win...other than for our wallets. :)