Home The Bridge

Inventory Management

I've gotten to the point now where I'm getting random items deleted from my inventory. To the veterans, how do I manage inventory so this doesn't happen? I farmed up a bunch of items this week that typically appear in galaxy events and this morning logged in and discovered at least one of the stacks was gone.

Are replicators the only way to manage inventory? How can I tell if I'm deleting a specific individual's item versus an identical looking general item (burnham's idic vs the generic one as a simple example... both have the exact same icon, but I'll only use burnham's on burnham, but I may use the generic one on any vulcan).

Suggestion to DB: make inventory management a priority!

Comments

• IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I think this is where you have hit the exceeding 1000 different items quota once that happens you randomly lose stuff (even possibly citations!) I think this is another reason why people prefer to stock up chronitons than prefarm.
    I'm starting to get rid of the cruddy schematics and certain shuttle boosts that you never use as a precaution to keep my item quota lower.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Go through your inventory and find useless equipment for crew you've already FE, make note of the picture or take screen shots, then use those items as replicator fodder.

I was over 950 items and didn't think that idea would do much to help, but I wound up finding about 100 useless crew-specific 0-3* inventory items for FE crew!

The one pain is items that have the same picture as other items, especially when you only have a single copy of both items, since you can't check the name of the particular item before adding it to the replicator (when you only have 1 copy and don't need to use the slider).

The inventory interface is long overdue for an overhaul, especially for clearing out extra junk (there should be a function to convert inventory items to replicator rations).
  • I've never been a fan of stocking chronitons. By exceeding the limit, I lose 240 potential chronitons per day (through the natural recharge). In addition, chroniton growth over the limit is limited to 60 +50 per day + voyages + cadet missions (which I would have to do the tier 3 only rather than try for items I can't get through chroniton use... holograms are in tier 2), and if I want to do all the daily missions for the 200 honor... I need a minimum of 120 chronitons (barring the use of a boost and expecting that 10 ship battles are arena battles). Assuming I get ~250-300 chrons per voyage, and I do about 1.5 voyages per day, we see that I get about 400 (275*1.5-120+60+50=402) chronitons per day if I am over the limit. Compare that to 240 + 410 + 60 +50 = 760 chronitons per day which can all be used farming. My chroniton income is halved by saving over the limit.
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replicator is the only way. Here is how I go about doing so. Some of this overlaps with other comments and suggestions but I’m trying to be complete.

I have to go through my inventory and look for specific crew items. When I do so I note the name and star level of each item.

When you are in the replicator screen they sort items by star level and alphabetical order of item name, so having the exact name helps narrow things down some as long as you know names of other common items from the pictures.

Then when you click replicate after getting to 100% and get the confirmation screen you can click on each item to confirm the name before completing the replication.
  • AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be very careful if you have high priority items like 3* clock boosts or citations. If you lost them due to being over the inventory cap you should put in a ticket. I've had fleetmates lose both of these things and CS was able to restore them (provided you know what you lost).
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a trick somebody mentioned in engineering that really helps.

When filling up your replicator with items, start at the bottom with 0* items and work your way up. Select items that you only have 1 of. This helps in two ways. First, it gets rid of a full stack all at once. And second, it's more likely that that single item will be a useless crew specific item that is most likely no longer needed and cheap to reproduce if you need to.

However, the real answer to this is for DB to get rid of the asinine 1000 item limit, and to allow sorting and searching in inventory, including crew specific items, and to fix the replicator so it displays names and lets you remove individual components.

This is an aspect of the game that DB should be utterly ashamed of and should have put a priority on fixing when they were in alpha, let alone 3 years ago when people were already running into problems.
  • I've never been a fan of stocking chronitons. By exceeding the limit, I lose 240 potential chronitons per day (through the natural recharge). In addition, chroniton growth over the limit is limited to 60 +50 per day + voyages + cadet missions (which I would have to do the tier 3 only rather than try for items I can't get through chroniton use... holograms are in tier 2), and if I want to do all the daily missions for the 200 honor... I need a minimum of 120 chronitons (barring the use of a boost and expecting that 10 ship battles are arena battles). Assuming I get ~250-300 chrons per voyage, and I do about 1.5 voyages per day, we see that I get about 400 (275*1.5-120+60+50=402) chronitons per day if I am over the limit. Compare that to 240 + 410 + 60 +50 = 760 chronitons per day which can all be used farming. My chroniton income is halved by saving over the limit.

There's a flaw in your math. you're forgetting that when those hoarded chrons are used, they are 100% used with a supply kit, which reduces chron cost by anywhere from 20-30% I believe it is, depending on if the components you're farming are divisible by 4. Also, pre-farming has a giant flaw in that you may be unlucky and farm one or two items not used at all in the galaxy event, rendering some of your farm entirely useless for the current event. Not as straightforward as you think.
  • How does the game decide what to delete when you are over 1000 items? Does anyone know?
  • How does the game decide what to delete when you are over 1000 items? Does anyone know?

My understanding is it is 100% random what gets tossed.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been a fan of stocking chronitons. By exceeding the limit, I lose 240 potential chronitons per day (through the natural recharge). In addition, chroniton growth over the limit is limited to 60 +50 per day + voyages + cadet missions (which I would have to do the tier 3 only rather than try for items I can't get through chroniton use... holograms are in tier 2), and if I want to do all the daily missions for the 200 honor... I need a minimum of 120 chronitons (barring the use of a boost and expecting that 10 ship battles are arena battles). Assuming I get ~250-300 chrons per voyage, and I do about 1.5 voyages per day, we see that I get about 400 (275*1.5-120+60+50=402) chronitons per day if I am over the limit. Compare that to 240 + 410 + 60 +50 = 760 chronitons per day which can all be used farming. My chroniton income is halved by saving over the limit.

There's a flaw in your math. you're forgetting that when those hoarded chrons are used, they are 100% used with a supply kit, which reduces chron cost by anywhere from 20-30% I believe it is, depending on if the components you're farming are divisible by 4. Also, pre-farming has a giant flaw in that you may be unlucky and farm one or two items not used at all in the galaxy event, rendering some of your farm entirely useless for the current event. Not as straightforward as you think.

The point of pre-farming is the long game. Sure an item might not be used in a specific event, but it's used eventually in an event. My pre-farm inventory is high enough that I can rank under 1k in any event. I'm never farming for "the next event", I'm farming for the future. So if an item isn't used, so what? I still have enough of other items to not matter and I'll use the unused item in another event.
  • Thanks to Shan recognizing the problem. I could live with the 1000 limit if there was an easy way to find, organize, move to replicator, the various items. I have things like one time wear items for a specific character that I don't need. But, finding them again to put into the replicator is nearly impossible. Any help from DB would be greatly appreciated.
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Chiming in to reiterate that we understand how big of a pain point this can become and we will make assessments of the various points that have been brought up.

As I suggested here:
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/6121/item-quench-from-the-inventory-screen

We should be able to get rid of gear from the inventory screen, and turn it straight into replicator rations.

The inventory screen should also be sortable and searchable,
    e.g. sort alphabetical, star level, items only useable by one crew member (e.g. Lewis Zimmerman's holographic Igunana), sort by star level.

Another temporary option would be to create two lots of inventory. One would be the current 1000 slot inventory for components and equipment . The second would contain all the stuff not used to equip crew, e.g. star base components, replicator rations, trainers, boosts, transmissions, schematics, citations and voyage supplies. The second would currently need about 140 slots for all available items, and it could be programmed for fixed items per slot, saving memory, and possibly allowing a larger stack per slot.
  • Another big QOL improvement would be for no 0-3* crew specific items in Dabo or Gauntlet reward tables. In the past 2 weeks, I've had items drop for Silver Seven, Idrin, and B-4 even though all 3 cards are FE.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been a fan of stocking chronitons. By exceeding the limit, I lose 240 potential chronitons per day (through the natural recharge). In addition, chroniton growth over the limit is limited to 60 +50 per day + voyages + cadet missions (which I would have to do the tier 3 only rather than try for items I can't get through chroniton use... holograms are in tier 2), and if I want to do all the daily missions for the 200 honor... I need a minimum of 120 chronitons (barring the use of a boost and expecting that 10 ship battles are arena battles). Assuming I get ~250-300 chrons per voyage, and I do about 1.5 voyages per day, we see that I get about 400 (275*1.5-120+60+50=402) chronitons per day if I am over the limit. Compare that to 240 + 410 + 60 +50 = 760 chronitons per day which can all be used farming. My chroniton income is halved by saving over the limit.

The power of chron stockpiling for galaxy events are the millions in credits you make by using supply kits. Also, without hoarding chrons what do you do for skirmish events? Do you skip them? Do you hoard for the week that a skirmish is coming up and no other time?
    Let’s fly!
  • This has been an issue for 3 years and DB seems to be in no hurry to fix it. We shouldn’t have to babysit our inventories.

Not FIFO? @Shan , would you be able to confirm?

Thanks!
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was last in first out, but have never actually lost anything myself to confirm.
  • AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does the game decide what to delete when you are over 1000 items? Does anyone know?

This is correct. It was in the engineering thread when this "feature" first came out that it was mentioned. That might actually have been on the old forums now that I think about it.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

The power of chron stockpiling for galaxy events are the millions in credits you make by using supply kits. Also, without hoarding chrons what do you do for skirmish events? Do you skip them? Do you hoard for the week that a skirmish is coming up and no other time?

I have never needed a chron hoard for skirmish events. Just what I earn over the 4 days and turn them all(minus daily requirements) into intel. Between the chron drops during the skirmish and using a supply kit to maximize those chrons, I've placed under 1k easily without needing any extra chron hoard. Plus I run space missions that drop galaxy items, so I'm effectively pre-farming the entire time.
  • The inventory issue is a real pain and penalises those who have played for years and have put a lot of time and effort into the game. Surely the solution is (and I hate to introduce radical out of the box thinking) is to increase the inventory size!
    I actually play LESS because of this. I normally would be on ensuring I was generating shuttle missions, now I get my seven out of the way and just stop.
    Again, this penalises long term players.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case people didn't notice, Crafting Replicator Rations no longer costs Credits.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Sven LundgrenSven Lundgren ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the Datacore site to identify undeeded items.

https://datacore.app/voyage/
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about this?
    When loading the replicator, if you tap the item it should show what it is. Then drag it to the hopper if you want to get rid of it.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the Datacore site to identify undeeded items.

I'm not sure that gave me accurate info. It suggested several 5* Uniform Items for Level 90 on Crew I do not have to 90 yet.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Use the Datacore site to identify undeeded items.

I'm not sure that gave me accurate info. It suggested several 5* Uniform Items for Level 90 on Crew I do not have to 90 yet.

I experience the same and do not use that list for decisions. It tells me I can discard items that obviously have a valuable use in the near future.
    I rely on the 'old-fashioned' hunt and peck method from the regular list.
    :)
    Remember: it's just a game, not a matter of life and death!

My Captain Idol's
    My DataCore page
    My Spreadsheet