Home The Bridge

Into the Lion's Den Help

I am stuck with one last star across all the galaxy missions. I cannot figure out how to finish Into the Lion's Den due to the android/prodigy required science requirement. The best I have is Hippocrates (prodigy) I think. Is there a better character(s) out there? Thanks.

Comments

• Sorry, forgot I have Lass (873) but that is the best I can do.
  • edited February 2019
    Noah is 914 (average) without starbase bonuses. When looking at super rare characters with better averages, there are two better:
    • Formal Dress Wesley Crusher - 959
    • Reinforcements Stamets - 1010

Of course, a couple of Legendary characters also have better stats, even at 1/5:
    • Ilia Probe - 1133
    • Dr. Richard Daystrom - 988
    • Leonardo Da Vinci - 935
    Most anticipated character not in the game: Mr. Homn
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadet Wesley Crusher can get the job done as well.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Cadet Wesley Crusher. Out of superrare crew with prodigy trait, I believe he has the highest with proficiency in science.

Edit: His average SCI skill is 1017.5
  • No luck with Formal dress or Reinf St (forgot both were frozen), thanks any way.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    This node has been discussed a bunch of times on the Forum ... search "Lion's".

Criting a node is not about average roll, but MAX roll ... so, Stamets might have better average, but he can't hit the max score of Wesley ... neither can a 1/5 Da Vinci.
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadet Wesley Crusher is the dark horse for this one
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I used llia Probe. Sometimes you have to try several hundred times before you're successful
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Captain SMRCaptain SMR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks so much to,all of you. I thought it was just me. I appreciate the math since it will help my planning. I have B4 FF and at level 80. I will push him up to FE. Our fleet is 9% bonus. So, that might give me a fighting chance. I will go search the other thread also. Thanks again.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got it with Crusher, but it took 2 times. I have B4, but didn't try him.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leshy wrote: »
    In order to crit the node, you will need to roll a Science score of approximately 1,457. Having one of the required traits (Android, Prodigy) gives a bonus of 239. There are no crew with the Science skill and both traits for a double bonus.

Without any starbase/collection bonuses, there are no 4* crew who can reach the required score, so it really depends on what your bonuses are.

B-4 is the best crew. He starts being able to reach the required score as of a 3% bonus to both Science base and proficiency skill, and it becomes progressively easier as your bonuses increase.

Cadet Wesley Crusher is second best. You'll need 8% bonus to Science base and proficiency skill for him to get in range. You will pretty much need a maximum roll at that point, however, so higher bonuses than that are very recommended.

With (close to) maximum bonuses from starbase and collections, other 4* crew that can do it on a very good roll are Laas, Lt Commander Airiam, Formal Dress Wesley Crusher, and Reinforcement Stamets.

If you want to take into account 5* crew, then there are three options who can crit the node at 1/5. None of them need any starbase bonuses to do so, but obviously higher bonuses make it easier. These are, in order: Juliana Tainer, Ilia Probe, and Dr. Richard Daystrom.

Beyond that, you're pretty much looking at a select group of 4/5 or 5/5 crew.

Interesting analysis. I tried a half dozen or dozen times with Dr. Daystrom and got nowhere but Cadet Crusher did it on his first time out (I didn’t think of B-4). Max roll definitely determines if it is possible to crit the node or not but average roll suggests how likely it is to happen. Daystrom’s base SCI is so low at 1/5* that a high roll is absolutely critical, so you’d likely spend a lot more chronitons to do it than with one of the other crew.
  • LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    I tried a half dozen or dozen times with Dr. Daystrom and got nowhere but Cadet Crusher did it on his first time out.
    A higher average roll does not necessarily make it more likely for one crew to hit a certain value than another crew. It really depends on where that value lies within their ranges.

Your case of Dr. Daystrom and Cadet Wesley appears to be a simple case of bad luck with one and good luck with the other, for example. At 4/4, Cadet Wesley does indeed have a higher average roll than Dr. Daystrom does. However, let us look at what they both need to roll to hit 1,218 (1,457 minus the 239 trait bonus they both always get) in a couple of scenarios:

No starbase/collection bonuses
    Cadet Wesley Crusher (745 + 160–385): 1,218 - 745 = 473. Not possible.
    Dr. Richard Daystrom (478 + 259–761): 1,218 - 478 = 740. On a scale of 259–761, rolling 740 is a chance of ((21/502)*100) = 4.2%

10% bonus to base and proficiency skill
    Cadet Wesley Crusher (820 + 176–424): 1,218 - 820 = 398. On a scale of 176–424, rolling 398 is a chance of ((26/248)*100) = 10.5%
    Dr. Richard Daystrom (526 + 285–837): 1,218 - 526 = 692. On a scale of 285–837, rolling 692 is a chance of ((145/552)*100) = 26.3%

15% bonus to base skill only (favours Wesley with his higher base skill)
    Cadet Wesley Crusher (857 + 160–385): 1,218 - 857 = 361. On a scale of 160–385, rolling 361 is a chance of ((24/225)*100) = 10.7%
    Dr. Richard Daystrom (550 + 259–761): 1,218 - 550 = 668. On a scale of 259–761, rolling 668 is a chance of ((93/502)*100) = 18.5%

So in pretty much any scenario, Dr. Daystrom at 1/5 should have a notably easier time to crit the node than Cadet Wesley Crusher does at 4/4.
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I did it with Laas, probably just got lucky.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Leshy
    Nice analysis.

Just want to mention.
    Daystrom can fail the node too. Could lead to failure of the mission.

• Any suggestions on crit-ing the Eng 1121 Borg, Jury Rigger node? Particularly with a 4*? My top Eng Jury Rigger is Niners Rom.

I have 1/5 Assimilated Torres, but will need to FE her. Even then, with our starbase boost, she'll only be 830 Eng, plus the double bonus and a max roll of 477. It may take a few tries.
    [TFA] Task Force April, April's Assassins
    Lvl 99, VIP 14, 939 Immortalized, 212 5* FE/FF
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Looks like prisoner O'Brien is the one that attains the highest out of 4*
    ENG 694(244-503) and jury rigger. But he is going to need starbase bonus.
    @Leshy analysis shows you need to be able to get 1218 before trait bonus to Crit. And without trait bonus his max is 1197

Edit: still looks like your 1/5 Torres might be the best bet.
    Actually from what you said Torres will always Crit the node FE.
    830+478+231=1539 higher than the 1457 needed to Crit the node.
    Base+two trait bonuses + low proficiency.
  • LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The Engineering node is a fairly similar story, with much of the numbers being the same. You will need 1,457 Engineering, and both required traits also provide a 239 bonus. There are equally no 4* Engineering crew with both the Borg and Jury Rigger trait for a double bonus.

With no starbase/collection bonuses, no 4* crew can crit the mission.

Prisoner O'Brien is indeed the best choice. As of a 2% bonus to both base and proficiency skill, he already starts being able to reach the required amount, although only on a near max roll.

Icheb is the second best choice. He needs 7% bonuses to start rolling high enough to crit the mission, but again higher bonuses are recommended to make it easier.

At pretty much maximum starbase and collection bonuses (both 13%), Niners Rom and Augment Riker can also do it.

There is a slightly bigger supply of 1/5 crew in this case, however. Assimilated Torres with her double trait bonus (Borg and Jury Rigger) will only fail to crit the node on a very bad roll, and only if you have pretty much no starbase or collection bonuses. Equally without bonuses, Seven in Silver, Irina, Captain Lorian and Assimilated La Forge can reasonably fairly crit the node.

Taking some quite average 8% bonuses into account, Dress Uniform Scotty, Tucker-on-the-Ropes, Duelist Torres, One, and Captain Scott (in order of decreasing chance) are all options as well.
  • Got it today with B4B4, ff/fe (first try) after maybe 8-10 tries last daysdays
    a few % from SB+collection seems necessarry
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    So my options for the SCI node are:
    spend that banked SR citation on B-4,
    wait for 2-3 more stars on my 2/5 professor or (cite him up) or likewise cite up Da Vinci from 1/5.
    wait for an Ilia Probe to come up in a Begold
    or try my 10.8% luck on that loveable character...

hmm decisions, decisions, decisions

Looks like Da Vinci would start to do it with ease at 4/5 and the Professor at 5/5
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Thx again all. Got B4 maxed and completed on the fourth try!