Home Ready Room
Options

Help spending honor and citations (2-part question)

For context: new-ish player, started in Oct 2018.

First query: Any comments/suggestions on the optimal use of the 117k honor I have at the moment?

My current legendaries are:
5/5: Assimilated Hawk.
4/5: Etana Jol.
3/5: Kol of House Kor.
2/5: Prince Bashir, Mirror Stamets, Captain Braxton, Borg Queen.
1/5: Surak, Niners Sisko, Delta Flyer Paris, Kahless, The Traveler, Mugato, Mirror Inquisitor Troi, Mobile Doctor, Surgeon Pulaski, Seven in Silver, Yarnek, General Chang, Garak Elim Garak.

Looking at the ranked lists on the doroexplo website would suggest the stronger candidates for citations are Mirror Inquisitor Troi, Surak, Borg Queen and DF Paris. My preference would be to prioritise voyage performance over gauntlet and events.

Second query: I am actually finding this a bit more difficult than the first query. Any ideas on how I should spend four super rare citations? (I didn't buy these, they were move-over-from-GoTA freebies)

I won't torture you all by listing all my purples. Most notable super rares (largely going by the doroexplo website list) that aren't already 4/4 are:

1/4: Combat Medic Paris, Mintakan Troi, Assimilated Tuvok, Prospect Burnham, Torchbearer Voq, Marshall of France Q, RAF Bashir, Hippocrates Noah, Nurse Faith Garland.
2/4: Tsunkatse Seven, Mirror Garak, Lore, Anbojyutsu Riker, Mother Horta, Captain Q, BO Troi, Mirror Jennifer Sisko.
3/4: Tourist Quark, Lieutenant Chekov, Assimilated Troi, 1701 Jadzia, Apollo, Douglas Pabst.

I was thinking of popping one citation each on Combat Medic Paris and Mintakan Troi and leaving the other citations alone for now, but I do not really have a sense of knowing what I am doing with regard to my purples. Would be very grateful for any insights.

Comments

• Options
    Legendaries is always difficult to decide, I would go with Etana and Kol, then you have to more 5/5 ( you will get another Kol next week) . But Braxton and Borg Queen are very good in voyages too. Nevertheless I prefer 5/5 over a second or third star for anyone else.

Super rare citations - I would save then for voyage-only-crew, like Guinan, Picard, McCoy, since they are difficult to get. All the others will come sooner or later with packs or voyages.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually I give a final star to mega event crew. I would say Braxton and Borg Queen are good bets. So is Kahless the Unaffordable; I don't have him, but I hear he is a voyage beast as well as good in Gauntlet.

For 4* citations, I agree that any of the 3-psrt voyage only crew would be good. I don't have any of them after a year and a half. Also any nee ctew from events where you cannot earn a 4th copy would be good for citation. Eventually they will be in the general pool, but that could take 6 months to a year.
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the game :)
    the doroexplo website

Only crew in the portal (obtainable from premium packs/voyages) are in there now. All crew are in the process of being added, but it'll be a while.

Finishing Etana Jol will give you the most bang for your buck (each additional star adds more stats than the one before) and after that I would spend your next 3 citations on Captain Braxton; the #1 overall voyager. He has a nice CMD base as well that will benefit you as well.

As for 4* citations, they don't come around very often and if you have a long-term focus on the game then you'll want to be saving your honor for gold citations. If I were in your shoes, I would either save them for the occasional strong or collection Skirmish/Faction crew (only 3 copies are awarded in those events) or finish some of those strong MED crew (Assimilated Troi for sure!). There are far fewer MED crew in the game than other skills, so those great MED purples will be useful for longer than other skills.
    I do not really have a sense of knowing what I am doing with regard to my purples.

Purples are meant to be slowly replaced with legendary crew over time. You'll want to invest in 4/4s who give the best long-term benefit. In general, that means collection crew, rare skill combinations (ENG/MED, SEC/SCI, etc.), and crew who have a high event count so that you can unfreeze them even years down the line and they'll still contribute when they get a nice bonus. I've just updated my event tracking page if you're looking for a sense of how often each character will snag an event bonus.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    5*s
    If you want to prioritise voyages over all else the Braxton should be one of your first to cite. Other good ones are:
    - Etana Jol, because you've almost completed her.
    - Mirror Stamets for his 3 skills, which is not the most common of combos.
    - Then any of your 3-skill 1/5s ... Surak, Kahless, DF Paris, MI Troi ...

One side note ... ideally mega-event 5*s are cited the second you get them so they are of maximum use throughout the 4 weeks ... doing so towards the end is a bit of a pity ... e.g. a 4/5 Kol has been pretty good over this weekend. I always make sure I've got 50k Honor by the time week one rolls around.
    For a player like me, even lesser mega-event 5*s (like Minuet) see daily use in shuttles after their mega. I highly recommend you do this for the next mega ... not sure it will be worth your while to add a star to Kol, as you have better options to cite.

4*s
    As the others have said ... all those you have listed are (or will be) available in the portal at a future date ... if you are not in an absolute crunch for crew space then it is a waste to cite any of the 4*s you've listed.
    Personally I think there are exceptions to citing 4*s:
    - Voyage-only crew from 3-part dilemas;
    - Skirmish/Faction event threshold 4*s during the event if you are f2p and want to keep crew numbers manageable (I did this for a while and cited around 6-7 4*s in this category ... it really helped that I wasn't in a constant crew crunch ... that gave me just enough time to FF other 4*s through voyages or the odd pack we got back then and now I never have issues and crew space a plenty);
    - Where it is the last one for a very difficult collection that might give you skill/proficiency bonus for your whole crew.
  • Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the legendaries, I lean with others who would recommend:

(1) Finish Etana first, you will use her every day
    (2) Borg Queen or Braxton. Stamets is nice but the Queen and Braxton's skill bases will occur much more frequently in daily shuttle seats, so you'll end up using them more often right out of the gate. I would lean Queen over Braxton for possible event value, even if Braxton is the stronger card.

For the SR's, I'd say:

- For your 3/4's, Tourist Quark first for sure, I'm still using him even though my gold crew are now starting to accumulate. Pabst would be another good candidate. Assimilated Troi might be useful, haven't had her long enough to gauge.
    - Most of your 2/4s I think are one (or fewer)-hit wonders except maybe Tsunkatse Seven. No rush on any of them, I'd say.
    - Combat Medic Paris looks under-cited in your 1/4s, but you'll get him from voyage drops eventually. Marshall Q and Nurse Faith Garland you only really need at 1/4 for their occasional gauntlet moment in the sun. Voq's voyage stats look good on paper but I have *never* used him, there must be enough gold crew ahead of him in line that he never makes the cut.

Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Personally I think you will still be at a stage where voyage is still the priority, what would help is if I knew what levels your crew are at as well are they all fully equipped? Either way a star on Jol and Kol would be good use however you do have Hawk at 5/5 so you might want to save the latter in case something better turns up.

Also someone like the mobile doctor is not to be sniffed at dropping a citation on, might be an older card and in portal but the number of times I see the hologram trait show up on med for a voyage and don’t have a decent option. Also if med is still quite a weak area as it usually is early days that might be an option for you.

With regards to purple citations you have five so dropping one or two might not be a bad idea tourist quark is useful for mission nodes as well as voyages. Other options are Troi or Chekov as they will take a while before entering the portal again Troi would help with Med as would Quark. The rest save for 3 parter voyage exclusive crew as they will be hardest to obtain.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you could get two citations out of the way right away: Kol and Etana Jol. They will serve you well on voyages and, if they manage to not make it on a voyage, will do very nicely on shuttles. For the rest of your 5*s I would go with Braxton, then either DF Paris or Mirror Stamets.

Beyond them, I would look at which two-skill combination is the weakest for you and choose to cite whatever crew would make that skill better (Surak for SCI/DIP, Yarnek for SCI/COM, Mirror Troi for MED/SEC, BQ for COM/DIP, and so on). Do prioritize three-skill crew when you can but don’t completely ignore a two-skill crew if they really would make an improvement (ENG/SCI for Seven in Silver, for example).

For your 4* citations, saving them for the voyage-only crew requiring three-part dilemmas is a good idea. However, they are almost universally freezer-bait (with some limited event potential) and even getting the first star from a voyage or Elusive Treasures pack is entirely dependent on the favor of RNGesus. If I were in your position, I would probably use them on existing crew. Assimilated Troi and Tourist Quark would be the first two I would go with (again due to the final stars yielding a larger stat increase), while the other two would go to either Combat Medic Paris or Mintakan Troi, depending on whether you need more MED or DIP at the time. As others have mentioned, you could also save them for 3/4* crew obtained from future events in order to either use them at full power or freeze them and open a crew slot.
  • Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to share your insights, there were a number of considerations that I had not thought of at the time of writing my query. I have decided to cite Etana Jol and immortalise her (and just as I bought the citation and was getting excited -- I really do like that big brass chord that sounds when you immortalise someone -- I see I will have to wait till she is back from a voyage!). I am still undecided between Braxton and Kol for the next citation, and am holding off for the moment, but am now 30k honor away from being able to cite both of them, so before too long that will happen.

Citing Assimilated Troi and Tourist Quark will eventually help with collection bonuses, so I will do that, and save my other two 4* citations to see what may emerge in the future.

Thank you all again. :smile:
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I would have left Etana Jol at 4/5. She has only made one voyage for me (dip/command gold/silver skills) and occasional makes shuttles. She is unlikely to ever be event crew again.

Forget the above line, someone has been hitting me with the stupid stick again. I was confusing her with minuet who is not worth a citation. Etana Jol is definitely worth citing.

Kol should have received a citation at the beginning of the mega. Kol is and incredibly strong security (my best), and next event will give him another star. A cite would give him his final.

Remember to save up your honor so you have enough for a cite at the start of the next mega.
  • Options
    Three weeks on...

So I immortalised Etana Jol and Kol, and used two of my 4* citations to immortalise Tourist Quark and Assimilated Troi. Getting the latter two to 4/4 really transformed my MED roster. Thanks to everyone's good advice, I am now regularly able to get my voyages past 6 hours, with occasional ones exceeding 7 hours, which is great because the rewards seem so much better past 6 hours. :)

I have just exceeded 50k honor again, and am very sorely tempted to cite Mirror Stamets (love the skill set and the artwork), but am trying to restrain myself to wait and see what the next recurring Mega-event character will be.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I just recently threw down (about 2 days ago) a citation on Braxton, it depends how hard you play the game but I am now solidly making over 2k a day average in honor I believe there is still time to get another citation before the next mega but it will be tight, my advice play hard in the skirmish event and see how much honor you accumulate there if you feel confident you have made enough out of that event then cite your best not in portal Legendary or the one you like best Stamets is pretty decent.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    I just recently threw down (about 2 days ago) a citation on Braxton, it depends how hard you play the game but I am now solidly making over 2k a day average in honor I believe there is still time to get another citation before the next mega but it will be tight, my advice play hard in the skirmish event and see how much honor you accumulate there if you feel confident you have made enough out of that event then cite your best not in portal Legendary or the one you like best Stamets is pretty decent.

What he said.

It should also be said that we’re due for either a SCI- or maybe DIP-primary recurring legendary in the next mega event. The last five primary skills have been MED, ENG, DIP, ENG, and SEC. Although it’s been a while since we had a COM-primary crew, it was featured for three of the first four (and Kortar was no slouch either, same with Kol). There was only the one with primary DIP but she was reviled by many. Surak is the only scientist of the recurring legendaries, and my money is on another this time around.
  • Options
    Another three weeks on...

I hung on to my honor for a while, but then cited Mirror Stamets to 3/5 a couple of days ago when it was clear I was on track to have built up another 50k by the time of the mega. Nevertheless, I decided to DYC Thrax instead, so I could have him immortalised by the end of the Mega without using up my honor. So he's now 2/5, and I still have 50k honor.

I was very nearly going to cite Mirror Stamets again to 4/5 (I do like the skill set and artwork), and then use my subsequent lot of 50k honor to immortalise him, but my FE 1/5 Mirror Inquisitor Troi has been more useful this event so far... and even though one gets more bang for one's buck going from 3/5 to 4/5 vs. 1/5 to 2/5 in general, I am tempted to divert from my original scheme to cite up Troi to 2/5 instead, in the hope it will be of specific benefit throughout the whole Mega.

Theoretically, I could also consider citing up Borg Queen to 3/5 but I only have her at level 70 at the moment, and the seats I am seeing on the current shuttle event also do not seem to suit her anywhere as well as they do Troi. In terms of other recently acquired, decent golds, I have new Pulaski (FE 2/5) and Survivalist Kirk (60, 2/5), but they don't currently have event bonuses.

I would be interested in your thoughts re. Stamets to 4/5 vs. Troi to 2/5.
  • Options
    choosing troi might give you 2% shuttle boost on one shuttle, and probably no difference in galaxy events unless you're lucky. I'd still go stamets personally, though she's good overall.
  • Options
    Another three weeks on...

I hung on to my honor for a while, but then cited Mirror Stamets to 3/5 a couple of days ago when it was clear I was on track to have built up another 50k by the time of the mega. Nevertheless, I decided to DYC Thrax instead, so I could have him immortalised by the end of the Mega without using up my honor. So he's now 2/5, and I still have 50k honor.

I was very nearly going to cite Mirror Stamets again to 4/5 (I do like the skill set and artwork), and then use my subsequent lot of 50k honor to immortalise him, but my FE 1/5 Mirror Inquisitor Troi has been more useful this event so far... and even though one gets more bang for one's buck going from 3/5 to 4/5 vs. 1/5 to 2/5 in general, I am tempted to divert from my original scheme to cite up Troi to 2/5 instead, in the hope it will be of specific benefit throughout the whole Mega.

Theoretically, I could also consider citing up Borg Queen to 3/5 but I only have her at level 70 at the moment, and the seats I am seeing on the current shuttle event also do not seem to suit her anywhere as well as they do Troi. In terms of other recently acquired, decent golds, I have new Pulaski (FE 2/5) and Survivalist Kirk (60, 2/5), but they don't currently have event bonuses.

I would be interested in your thoughts re. Stamets to 4/5 vs. Troi to 2/5.

There is really just the one slot that Troi can fit into with both skills. If you don’t have Cornwell, I can see why Troi would be your top choice but that benefit lasts another few minutes. Mirror Stamets will be a better overall choice beyond today.
  • Options
    Thanks, as always, for the insights. Mirror Stamets is now 4/5. Loving the stats and the fact that I am just 45k honor away from a pretty decent immortalised gold.