Home The Bridge

New limit on spam fleet invites

I don't know why they did this, but it seems that they have seriously limited the number of fleet invites that can be sent at one time. Until now, when we had open fleet slots, we could fill back up by sending out invites using the suggested players tool in the fleet menu. It usually took about a day to fill back up. Now with the hard limit on invites, we have 3 slots open for a week now. I just wanted to know why they decided to make it impossible to easily maintain a a full fleet.

Comments

• (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just set your fleet to open with a lvl minimum.
    Let’s fly!
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicole K wrote: »
    I don't know why they did this, but it seems that they have seriously limited the number of fleet invites that can be sent at one time. Until now, when we had open fleet slots, we could fill back up by sending out invites using the suggested players tool in the fleet menu. It usually took about a day to fill back up. Now with the hard limit on invites, we have 3 slots open for a week now. I just wanted to know why they decided to make it impossible to easily maintain a a full fleet.

Sometimes when we have a new recruit in the transition period they end up receiving dozens of invites and we’ve never quite believed the maths behind it. They can literally go 1hr in the ether between fleets and have an inbox full of invites.

We figured there must be a large number of fleets our there hammering the invite random player button.
  • Nicole K wrote: »

Sometimes when we have a new recruit in the transition period they end up receiving dozens of invites and we’ve never quite believed the maths behind it. They can literally go 1hr in the ether between fleets and have an inbox full of invites.

We figured there must be a large number of fleets our there hammering the invite random player button.

When I switched fleets early this year, I received more than 300 invites in about 2 days' time. And if you're looking to join a specific fleet, that particular invitation can get seriously lost.
    Most anticipated character not in the game: Mr. Homn
  • Well for those of us who don't really care who join us as long as they meet level requirement and are active, that's how we get fleet members to join. And it's not working anymore with the tight restrictions.

We haven't been able to fill a slot since the update ruined the invite system. We only had to do it about once or twice a month for a day or two. Now it does not work at all.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    z2ud1282zagc.jpg
    Let’s fly!
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes. I always set my fleet to open when recruiting and I've never felt comfortable spamming people with invites. Some people prefer to be fleetless and I don't want to bother them. If they are getting hundreds of invites that verifies my fears...and the limit was probably imposed for their benefit.
  • We're only inviting eligible players and like I said, it only happened once or twice a month. Making it so that we are only allowed 7 or so invites means that we're probably not going to fill the slots anytime soon. Our fleet is set to open and level 50 is the minimum. They aren't just coming on their own and never have.

Besides that, there's no downside to being in a fleet (at least ours) because you don't have to do anything but actually not be inactive for 10 days and you get starbase boosts and free honor. There's no expectations of communication or event participation. So I don't understand the "go it alone" people. Almost 75% of my fleet has never used the chat or made any contact with the fleet at all. However, they do make contributions to the starbase and that helps everyone. Virtually every member of my fleet is there as the result of an unsolicited invite. I've had nobody complain about being overwhelmed with fleet invites.
    edited February 2019
    We're only inviting eligible players and like I said, it only happened once or twice a month. Making it so that we are only allowed 7 or so invites means that we're probably not going to fill the slots anytime soon. Our fleet is set to open and level 50 is the minimum. They aren't just coming on their own and never have.

Besides that, there's no downside to being in a fleet (at least ours) because you don't have to do anything but actually not be inactive for 10 days and you get starbase boosts and free honor. There's no expectations of communication or event participation. So I don't understand the "go it alone" people. Almost 75% of my fleet has never used the chat or made any contact with the fleet at all. However, they do make contributions to the starbase and that helps everyone. Virtually every member of my fleet is there as the result of an unsolicited invite. I've had nobody complain about being overwhelmed with fleet invites.

Let me start by trying to participate in the discussion in a more friendly manner. Hi/Hello and sorry if my tone was aggressive before, I genuinely didn’t mean anything bad toward you personally.

While level 50 may seem reasonable/low level on the outset, especially compared to many of us here, it does still represent a huge amount of time and/or money invested. You might have better luck reducing that significantly.

What I wanted to put across before was the frustration that some of us feel when we recruit new members. {ACE} requires members participate in discussion groups using Line. We organise squads, strategy, have our own in-fleet games and general banter. It’s a requirement of joining that you’re active in our community as much as you are in game. And so we have a screening process.

Over the last year or so, we’ve noticed when recruiting that in the small time that can sometimes happen between leaving their previous fleet and joining us, they may receive dozens (or even hundreds) of invites to join other fleets. We are sometimes talking about 30 minutes, but others maybe a few hours. Not a huge amount of time.

Crunching the numbers, it would appear that with X amount of total number of players in game, Y amount of possible fleets, and Z being opportunity for them to receive invites, there must be fleets out there that are sending hundreds or thousands of invites to recommended players - on an hourly basis - for the maths to add up.

We’ve had people struggle to find our invite or get bounced around accidentally between other fleets, before finally finding their way and it’s extremely frustrating.

So, while I do understand your view that inviting recommended players is a useful tool by design, it feels like it is being heavily abused by some. And that is why I welcome some attempt by DB to control it. Fleet invite spamming can at best cause a full/delayed message inbox, at worst (in addition), clog up DB servers, slow down and complicate applications to some fleets, and generally just be a PITA.
  • Well I am a level 76 VIP 14 player, so I don't think that level 50 is too ambitious and I think you should get over yourself just a little bit. Furthermore no one in my fleet would be interested in the type of stuff that you require in yours because if they did they would not join my fleet where no one cares about collective fleet performance in events. Most of us just want to play the game and build a Starbase. I hardly think inviting 20 people or so a few times a month taxed anything. It definitely wasn't disrupting recruiting players that are interested in jumping through your hoops so they can be in your fleet.
    Well I am a level 76 VIP 14 player, so I don't think that level 50 is too ambitious and I think you should get over yourself just a little bit. Furthermore no one in my fleet would be interested in the type of stuff that you require in yours because if they did they would not join my fleet where no one cares about collective fleet performance in events. Most of us just want to play the game and build a Starbase. I hardly think inviting 20 people or so a few times a month taxed anything. It definitely wasn't disrupting recruiting players that are interested in jumping through your hoops so they can be in your fleet.

Well my point was just to demonstrate that with our process it becomes difficult sometimes to get people in because they get spammed with invites from other fleets.

20 or so a month sounds totally reasonable, but it seems like there are fleets out there that are sending hundreds continuously and it’s good DB appear to be doing something about that.
  • Gib - Admiral MarinersGib - Admiral Mariners ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    My fleet stays full, and I have never sent a recruiting email. Set to open or restriced depending on whats going on, and captain level at 20 or 30. I do post openings in the forums. I added Ammiral and my fleet to my name as I was tired of getting invites.
  • Yikes. I always set my fleet to open when recruiting and I've never felt comfortable spamming people with invites. Some people prefer to be fleetless and I don't want to bother them. If they are getting hundreds of invites that verifies my fears...and the limit was probably imposed for their benefit.

If players prefer to be fleetless, they have the option to turn invites off. It is only inconvenient when you are waiting for a specific invite.
    Most anticipated character not in the game: Mr. Homn
  • I am not interested in a "recruiting strategy" for the cell phone game that I play. Until the latest update, our fleet stayed full of level 50+ players who mostly couldn't care less about the weekly event rankings, and it didn't require an inordinate amount of time to keep it that way.

It is getting close to 2 weeks now that our fleet is stuck at 47. And that is with 4 or 5 officers all sending out the new maximum multiple times per day. The new limit is causing us to send exponentially more invites than we did previously. And I know that I have now invited the same person 11 times in the past 4 days (and do not feel anything but mildly amused by that fact)

Perhaps instead of an extremely low limit on invites, only allowing a player to show up on the suggested players list 1 time per fleet would be a more effective way to address the problem.

And as the other player mentioned, you can just turn off the invites if you don't want want to be in a fleet. Although that still just seems really stupid to pass on the daily honor when you can be in a fleet like mine where we all you have to do is play at least once every 10 days. You don't have to download any 3rd party chat program, spend a significant (or any) amount of time communicating with your fleetmates (unless you feel like it) or worry about getting kicked out of your fleet if you happen to be too busy to devote half your weekend to a cell phone game.
  • ApaggApagg ✭✭✭
    I am not interested in a "recruiting strategy" for the cell phone game that I play. Until the latest update, our fleet stayed full of level 50+ players who mostly couldn't care less about the weekly event rankings, and it didn't require an inordinate amount of time to keep it that way.

It is getting close to 2 weeks now that our fleet is stuck at 47. And that is with 4 or 5 officers all sending out the new maximum multiple times per day. The new limit is causing us to send exponentially more invites than we did previously. And I know that I have now invited the same person 11 times in the past 4 days (and do not feel anything but mildly amused by that fact)

Perhaps instead of an extremely low limit on invites, only allowing a player to show up on the suggested players list 1 time per fleet would be a more effective way to address the problem.

And as the other player mentioned, you can just turn off the invites if you don't want want to be in a fleet. Although that still just seems really stupid to pass on the daily honor when you can be in a fleet like mine where we all you have to do is play at least once every 10 days. You don't have to download any 3rd party chat program, spend a significant (or any) amount of time communicating with your fleetmates (unless you feel like it) or worry about getting kicked out of your fleet if you happen to be too busy to devote half your weekend to a cell phone game.

You seem to be taking it personally that people won't join. Don't.

I also question why you're set on level 50 and above if your fleet is not trying to be competitive. As long as new members contribute to the fleet dailies, what does it matter what level they are?

• Thorozar Thorozar ✭✭✭✭
    And I know that I have now invited the same person 11 times in the past 4 days (and do not feel anything but mildly amused by that fact)

Wow, really glad they are looking into this practice. You didn't get the hint that the person you are spamming doesn't want to join you?
  • Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If you have nothing productive to contribute to the thread, don't post :) ~Shan
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Closing this thread as it is derailing.
    Nikole K, if you believe there is an issue with how fleet invites currently work please create a thread for it in Engineering Room and provide all relevant details there. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.