Home Ready Room
Options

Who Gets a Citation and Who Gets Defenestration?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why didn't you take advantage of the crew slot sales when they were offered? That way you would have more than enough room to keep all your crew. I have 485 crew slots and still not enough space.

I can't get Siranna for the current event. She's waiting to be joined.

I'm sure the OP has his reasons, but let's just assume that he didn't have the necessary dilithium to spend on crew slots. Everyone plays the game differently. I have 245 slots and usually maintain around 10 openings (other than during a mega-event).

As for your issue with Siranna... that is a self-made crisis. Just send someone non-essential to the vault. I know some players - you included apparently - believe that we should be able to have every single card active at all times. I may even agree with that, but that's not the game interface that DB built. So, when in Rome (or STT)...

Since I started crew use-logging (early November), it appears I have used a total of 224 crew at least once (including some extracted from freezer) in either shuttles, voyages, gauntlet or events. (100 5*, 124 4*).

If I exclude events-only use, it drops to 180 crew. The other 44 were 4* crew kept around or thawed out for event use. So, not inconsistent with your 245 being a comfortable number of slots (at this point in time), assuming one is not going for duplicates.

Those number seem...high. I don’t have the same rigorous analysis but I came up with this for the last week or so for me (not counting the events or crew used for more than one activity):

Gauntlet - 12 (seems low but Musketeer La Forge, The Caretaker, and Revolutionary Damar got a lot of repeat business thanks to trait bonuses)
    Voyages - 28 (a fair amount of repeats here as well)
    Shuttles - 12 (most of the 4* crew I still use are here)
    Arena - 7

Although I froze my event crew, napkin math says I used another 15 unique crew for the events this week and last week (maybe another one or two have slipped my mind already but that should be a good approximation). Even adding in the crew I use in the arena, I’m only up to 74 unique crew used in the last two weeks. There are maybe another 19 that see limited situational use (mostly for certain gauntlet traits or as shuttle backups for when others are in use on certain voyage skill combos)...even if I add a few extra to that total for fudge/forgetfulness factor, and more yet to account for events over the same time period, and I am still well below your number. How do you do it?

I think it's IAP and its fallout (my own replacement algorithms to recommend crew), with emphasis on the voyage recommends - both IAP and my algorithms turned/turn up some unexpected "best seat" fits digging into the SRs, especially with trait bumps considered. The associated crew are pretty far down the in-app sorted crew recommends (same for gauntlet, to a much lesser extent). I also don't have a huge number of golds immortalized yet ... I think one good immortal gold takes well more than one SR out of contention for the same seat.

We also had the Pilot mega (with a Sisko event in there) in that timeframe, which took large swaths of prime crew out of service during the factions, so lots of second/third string shuttle crew got at least 3 hours in the sun in December. The Discovery mega doesn't have me digging as deep.

That said, looking at the associated optimization metrics for voyages when selection time comes, it's a matter of hyper optimizing down to the last bits of percents. I'm pretty sure I could get by with much fewer crew without much of a noticeable performance hit; I hyperoptimize more to say to myself "ooh, I got to use that crew" and reverse-rationalize my ridiculous time investment in this game :smile:

I can understand that. For example, Vulcan Wedding T’Pol is a 4* that gets on voyages for me more than any other 4* crew; Sarina Douglas and Commander Thelin have made more than one in recent months and there maybe a handful more that have ended up on one during a Faction event. I have 23 immortal 5*s and 15 more at 3/5* or 4/5*, and many of those are good for two or even three skill combinations (some, however, aren’t even with it for one combo: Rogue Kai Winn, Minuet, the Founder, Dr. Soong, and even Ushaan Shran have all combined for as many voyage appearances as T’Pol alone).

I also noticed that I didn’t seem to be stretched for crew as badly this time around as before. Sure, there were a few crew being used out of position (Away Team Burnham Gilles a few COM slots this past Thursday and Friday, for example), but I wasn’t forced to fill slots with non-bonus crew really other than some of those MED shuttles before I had Siranna fused up (and few after). It was nice.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why didn't you take advantage of the crew slot sales when they were offered? That way you would have more than enough room to keep all your crew. I have 485 crew slots and still not enough space.

I'm sure the OP has his reasons, but let's just assume that he didn't have the necessary dilithium to spend on crew slots. Everyone plays the game differently. I have 245 slots and usually maintain around 10 openings (other than during a mega-event).

As for your issue with Siranna... that is a self-made crisis. Just send someone non-essential to the vault. I know some players - you included apparently - believe that we should be able to have every single card active at all times. I may even agree with that, but that's not the game interface that DB built. So, when in Rome (or STT)...

Since I started crew use-logging (early November), it appears I have used a total of 224 crew at least once (including some extracted from freezer) in either shuttles, voyages, gauntlet or events. (100 5*, 124 4*).

If I exclude events-only use, it drops to 180 crew. The other 44 were 4* crew kept around or thawed out for event use. So, not inconsistent with your 245 being a comfortable number of slots (at this point in time), assuming one is not going for duplicates.

Those number seem...high. I don’t have the same rigorous analysis but I came up with this for the last week or so for me (not counting the events or crew used for more than one activity):

Gauntlet - 12 (seems low but Musketeer La Forge, The Caretaker, and Revolutionary Damar got a lot of repeat business thanks to trait bonuses)
    Arena - 7

Although I froze my event crew, napkin math says I used another 15 unique crew for the events this week and last week (maybe another one or two have slipped my mind already but that should be a good approximation). Even adding in the crew I use in the arena, I’m only up to 74 unique crew used in the last two weeks. There are maybe another 19 that see limited situational use (mostly for certain gauntlet traits or as shuttle backups for when others are in use on certain voyage skill combos)...even if I add a few extra to that total for fudge/forgetfulness factor, and more yet to account for events over the same time period, and I am still well below your number. How do you do it?

I think it's IAP and its fallout (my own replacement algorithms to recommend crew), with emphasis on the voyage recommends - both IAP and my algorithms turned/turn up some unexpected "best seat" fits digging into the SRs, especially with trait bumps considered. The associated crew are pretty far down the in-app sorted crew recommends (same for gauntlet, to a much lesser extent). I also don't have a huge number of golds immortalized yet ... I think one good immortal gold takes well more than one SR out of contention for the same seat.

We also had the Pilot mega (with a Sisko event in there) in that timeframe, which took large swaths of prime crew out of service during the factions, so lots of second/third string shuttle crew got at least 3 hours in the sun in December. The Discovery mega doesn't have me digging as deep.

That said, looking at the associated optimization metrics for voyages when selection time comes, it's a matter of hyper optimizing down to the last bits of percents. I'm pretty sure I could get by with much fewer crew without much of a noticeable performance hit; I hyperoptimize more to say to myself "ooh, I got to use that crew" and reverse-rationalize my ridiculous time investment in this game :smile:

I can understand that. For example, Vulcan Wedding T’Pol is a 4* that gets on voyages for me more than any other 4* crew; Sarina Douglas and Commander Thelin have made more than one in recent months and there maybe a handful more that have ended up on one during a Faction event. I have 23 immortal 5*s and 15 more at 3/5* or 4/5*, and many of those are good for two or even three skill combinations (some, however, aren’t even with it for one combo: Rogue Kai Winn, Minuet, the Founder, Dr. Soong, and even Ushaan Shran have all combined for as many voyage appearances as T’Pol alone).

I also noticed that I didn’t seem to be stretched for crew as badly this time around as before. Sure, there were a few crew being used out of position (Away Team Burnham Gilles a few COM slots this past Thursday and Friday, for example), but I wasn’t forced to fill slots with non-bonus crew really other than some of those MED shuttles before I had Siranna fused up (and few after). It was nice.

Huh, I would have never thought that 4* T'Pol would get on Voyages ... guess her skill combo is not the most common (DIP/SCI/CMD).
    For voyages my most used 4*s are ... by far ...
    - Combat Medic Paris (also used on shuttles, as he's my #3 MED base);
    - Assimilated Troi ... even as a 3/4 she's already been on a handful of voyages;
    - Prospect Michael Burnham/Sarina Douglas/Princess Jadzia ... but less and less, as I pick up more 5*s with these (similar) skills (all three also used on shuttles);
    - The Clown ... used him a lot for the longest time, but recently froze him to change up my crew a bit.

But, I should note, I've frozen most of my immortal 4*s ... e.g. if I have a 1/5 Seven in Silver (#4 ENG base) why do I still need Niners Rom (#5 ENG base) out? ... right now Seven is not even on a shuttle ... I might have an ENG voyage, but I've got a bunch of 3-skill 5* crew with ENG that jump up the ranks when considering voyage stats, so I was basically never using Rom.

(Funny enough ... as I wrote the above, my voyage ended and I started a new one ENG/DIP, I threw Ardra in a SEC slot, as only 4* on board ... Silver Seven is on a shuttle, and Rom would still be sitting, doing nothing).

But yeah, I don't think I use more than around 70-80 crew ... and that includes for events ... on a regular basis and most of the 4*s will be used for events as bonus crew.
    I also have a whole fleet of 1/5s who are never used for anything (even some 2/5s ... looking at you Admiral Janeway).
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »

Arena - 7

Huh, I would have never thought that 4* T'Pol would get on Voyages ... guess her skill combo is not the most common (DIP/SCI/CMD).
    - Assimilated Troi ... even as a 3/4 she's already been on a handful of voyages;
    - Prospect Michael Burnham/Sarina Douglas/Princess Jadzia ... but less and less, as I pick up more 5*s with these (similar) skills (all three also used on shuttles);
    - The Clown ... used him a lot for the longest time, but recently froze him to change up my crew a bit.

But, I should note, I've frozen most of my immortal 4*s ... e.g. if I have a 1/5 Seven in Silver (#4 ENG base) why do I still need Niners Rom (#5 ENG base) out? ... right now Seven is not even on a shuttle ... I might have an ENG voyage, but I've got a bunch of 3-skill 5* crew with ENG that jump up the ranks when considering voyage stats, so I was basically never using Rom.

(Funny enough ... as I wrote the above, my voyage ended and I started a new one ENG/DIP, I threw Ardra in a SEC slot, as only 4* on board ... Silver Seven is on a shuttle, and Rom would still be sitting, doing nothing).

But yeah, I don't think I use more than around 70-80 crew ... and that includes for events ... on a regular basis and most of the 4*s will be used for events as bonus crew.
    I also have a whole fleet of 1/5s who are never used for anything (even some 2/5s ... looking at you Admiral Janeway).

T’Pol has a handy skill combo and a ludicrous DIP proficiency. You’d think Mintakan Troi would go first (especially with MED instead of COM and a more robust list of traits) but it hasn’t worked out like that.
  • Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    RaraRacing wrote: »

Arena - 7

T’Pol has a handy skill combo and a ludicrous DIP proficiency. You’d think Mintakan Troi would go first (especially with MED instead of COM and a more robust list of traits) but it hasn’t worked out like that.

Looking at my 165 voyagers over the last three months:

- 34 have been used only once
    - 69 have been used three times or less (about once a month)

So 20% are "one hit wonders" who may have since been supplanted by better crew, and 42% are used only once a month or so (so could easily be kept frozen rather than in active crew seats).

My most-used SR voyagers were:

Mirror Jadzia (15% of the time) - she's a SCI seat filler during SEC/ENG voyages
    Sarina Douglas (13%) - usually a MED seat filler during ENG/SCI voyages
    Prisoner O'Brien (13%)
    Mirror Phlox (11%)
    Irumodic Picard (10%) - CMD seat filler during SCI/DIP
    Changeling Bashir (9%)
    Klingon O'Brien (9%) - SEC seat filler during DIP/ENG
    Human Q (8%)
    Time Loop Mudd (8%)
    Mirror Mayweather (7%) - CMD filler during SEC/ENG
    K'mtar (7% and rising)

I don't have Mintakan Troi FF yet, and only recently finished Vulcan Wedding T'Pol ...
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I usually use Voq as my bench mark most of my 1/5s et al are above 2530 voyage score so very few purples make a seat now, mostly the rare trait combos will be when purples make a seat. MED / SCI is still a weakness of mine, despite having the Caretaker immortalised a 1/5 Da Vinci and a 2/5 keeper is still a bit of a weakness, so Sarina and Garland still make a few voyages also traits have a lot to play in selection most of them are often covered better with my legendaries as well.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options

Mirror Jadzia (15% of the time) - she's a SCI seat filler during SEC/ENG voyages
    Sarina Douglas (13%) - usually a MED seat filler during ENG/SCI voyages
    Prisoner O'Brien (13%)
    Mirror Phlox (11%)
    Irumodic Picard (10%) - CMD seat filler during SCI/DIP
    Changeling Bashir (9%)
    Klingon O'Brien (9%) - SEC seat filler during DIP/ENG
    Human Q (8%)
    Time Loop Mudd (8%)
    Mirror Mayweather (7%) - CMD filler during SEC/ENG
    K'mtar (7% and rising)

I don't have Mintakan Troi FF yet, and only recently finished Vulcan Wedding T'Pol ...

7 of the above I do not have FF or even have at all (Picard & Mayweather).
    - Sarina ... seeing less time on voyages, more often shuttles (#3 active SCI base) ... spot has been taken by Mirror Stamets, Leo da Vinci and The Caretaker (all 1/5);
    - Mirror Phlox ... frozen a long time ago, was only seeing play in the odd gauntlet and it just wasn't worth it to me to have him active ... MED/SEC is one of my best combos for voyages as is;
    - Klingon O'Brien ... frozen a while back when I needed crew space (though he had been great up till then, good 4* crew) and never came back out ... DIP/ENG is another combo I'm good at ... my SEC seat there is taken by 5/5 RAF O'Brien and some DIP crew;
    - Human Q ... recently frozen after the Q event ... kinda in the same boat as O'Brien, but was still being used on the odd shuttle ... I tried to get some good SCI/ENG combo 5*s in so have plenty to choose from (Assimilated La Forge (1/5), Honey Bare (3/5), The Traveller (1/5), Etana (5/5), Ru'afo (5/5) and Mirror Data (1/5)) even without Human Q.

That being said ... 8 hours is my goal for each voyage ... my max has been 9.5 hrs (without refresh), but I usually go between 8-9 ... my problem is I often cannot check my phone readily after a dilemma and cannot monitor the drop in antimatter closely so I usually end up recalling with around a bunch (e.g. 300) AM left just to be safe. The number of times I've recalled right after the 8 hr dilemma with plenty of AM left is fairly high ... so for me, the tiny increments in time are not as valuable, so often a 1/5 will be enough for me when compared with a 4/4 (e.g. The Traveller is clearly worse than Human Q, but I still make 8 hrs with him onboard and not Q in that spot).

For me the most difficult combo is CMD/SCI at the moment, especially during events with a lot of bonus crew. MED/CMD also becomes tricky at times during events ... I can make 8 hrs for both, but e.g. during the past mega I've had sub-8 hr voyages due to by Disco 5*s being occupied (e.g. Suus Mahna Sarek (poor crew, but can make a voyage), Away Team Saru (2/5)).

To keep it on topic (as per thread heading) ... this is how I decide where my next 5* citation goes ... I've decided the next will be Honey Bare to FF (hey, already got her to 3/5 through pulls, so why not), but after that I'll be looking at crew like Away Team Saru and even Admiral Janeway (2/5) (or Age of Sail Crusher (2/5)), who I never use but would actually be useful at 4/5 or 5/5 ... that's still a while off though, and I do expect things to change before I get to them.
    I don't cite my "best" voyage crew (Leo, Braxton, Dancing Chekov, Chancellor L'Rell, Bartender Tuvok) but ones that fill a gap ... I will add stars to the above names should I ever get them in a behold ... it takes me about a month to get 50k honor, so it takes ages to broaden my crew, but still (have 10 immortal 5*s) ... that's my goal, a broad crew.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I always take my 2 and 3/4's to level 100, both for general/shuttle/voyage use, and in case I need to quickly clear up a slot should a 4th stars drop.

Echoing the sentiment above to freeze any of your immortalized super-rares that have redundant Legendary counterparts with similar/better stats.

And if you've already cleared all your 1/2/3-starred crew, I'd have fun opening those Premium Pulls you have stored up. You have enough slots to cast a wide enough net to catch a lot of drops from them.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to this thread I have now sifted through my purples who have been lurking between my fully equipped unfused purples and I have come up with the following results and on further contemplation I could Ice Captain Division Arena crew as I no longer enter Captain Division because all 4* ships are maxed:
    72ejoiet56r4.jpg

There are a few borderlines
    Geordi and Yar - Yar I have used in Gauntlet, but since I got the caretaker I can't recall the last time I used him. Tsunkatse Seven starting to get outclassed by the likes of Five of Twelve, Assimilated Hawk and High Roller Sisko. Torchbearer Voq mainly for ship battle ability. K'Mtar have used him on a Voayge or two recently.

If anybody has any extra input that would be fab.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Thanks to this thread I have now sifted through my purples who have been lurking between my fully equipped unfused purples and I have come up with the following results and on further contemplation I could Ice Captain Division Arena crew as I no longer enter Captain Division because all 4* ships are maxed:
    72ejoiet56r4.jpg

There are a few borderlines
    Geordi and Yar - Yar I have used in Gauntlet, but since I got the caretaker I can't recall the last time I used him. Tsunkatse Seven starting to get outclassed by the likes of Five of Twelve, Assimilated Hawk and High Roller Sisko. Torchbearer Voq mainly for ship battle ability. K'Mtar have used him on a Voayge or two recently.

If anybody has any extra input that would be fab.

My only thought is to swap Ambassador K'Ehleyr and Mintakan Troi. Unless you specifically need a DIP/SEC shuttle combo, Troi's DIP base is higher and she is more versatile in general.
  • Options
    72ejoiet56r4.jpg

- Even as a 3/4 I've used K'mtar for voyages ... I'd keep.

- I'd switch Grad with Prospect Burnham ... I value 3 skills more and the drop in base numbers is negligible (for me 999 vs. 948 / 733 vs. 747 / 0 vs. 381).

- Agree on the K'Ehleyr / Troi swap suggested above ... another 2-skill out for 3-skill.

- If ever pressed for space ... I'd ditch the 2-skill crew in the left column in a flash, especially Worf and Bashir.

- Shras is rather bland, I might keep Prospero instead if you have Shras for base DIP ... the Data offers some option for a voyage during events where he's not featured ... personally, I only have 2 CMD/DIP/ENG 5*s (Borg Queen and a Nog) but 10 CMD/DIP/SEC 5*s. In my opinion, Kolos is also better, but at more of a base stat drop (I only have 2 CMD/DIP/SCI 5*s).
    Decent base DIP crew (1/5s) are a dime a dozen these days (hello Bartender Tuvok and Chancellor L'Rell), so I always try to look for a little more from a 4* if I am considering keeping them.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it is necessary for me to freeze crew, I write down the top 10 (or fewer depending on slots needed and slot capacity) crew for base skill and combined skill in each category. Anyone not on the list who is fully equipped and fused gets frozen. (With one or two gauntlet exceptions and no arena exceptions.) If I need to, I freeze crew close to the threshold when some farther out will be more powerful when fully fused.

If you get a monthly card, I say to save all dilithium (except 150 a week for Thursday) for the next crew slot sale. Packs are mostly pointless. I used to do regular voyage extensions, but I ran out of slots. I saved so much last time that I still have free slots after the last sale and have over 3000 saved for the next sale. If I determine that isn't necessary, I'll use it on the next Elusive Treasure pack.