Home Make It So!

Could we get a slider for Trainers?

MRNelsonMRNelson ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in Make It So!
I would like to see a slider implemented for using trainers on crew instead of the current method of holding in a button. Sliders are currently used for donations to the starbase, so it should be easy to implement. This would allow for more precise control over the trainers used.

For example, I find it particularly annoying to try to hold in a button to get exactly 28 of the 5* trainers to add to a crew member when going from Level 80 to Level 90, which takes 71,250 XP or 28 golds plus a bit more. While the first 10 start slowly, the speed increases after that. I don't know how many times I have gotten 22 or 35 or something else and had to cancel and start over trying to hit 28.

Current - Button
lmvs1xjm2cba.png

Proposed - Slider
sifzhjaacmjs.png

Comments

• PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    MRNelson wrote: »
    For example, I find it particularly annoying to try to hold in a button to get exactly 28 of the 5* trainers to add to a crew member when going from Level 80 to Level 90, which takes 71,250 XP or 28 golds plus a bit more. While the first 10 start slowly, the speed increases after that. I don't know how many times I have gotten 22 or 35 or something else and had to cancel and start over trying to hit 28.

I'd prefer to see a slider, too - excellent idea! But an immediate solution for your problem here is that excess trainers are not used. If you need 28 but accidentally keep going to 35, and then "use" those 35, only 28 will be consumed. So for the moment, you can make life easier by just holding down to excess.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I think a slider would be more difficult than the current system. I'm sorry. I just hold my finger down a while, then it uses what it needs to, then boom. When I sit there and adjust the sliders for things, it never gets as accurate as I want.
  • My main point here is that I feel that a slider gives you more precise control over your trainers, which particularly matters in the early stages. Later on, you will have an excess of trainers available and can just move the slider to the end. The excess won't be used. Personally, even though I have advanced to Captain's level 53, I feel like I still have to carefully budget my trainer use.
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    MRNelson wrote: »

I'd prefer to see a slider, too - excellent idea! But an immediate solution for your problem here is that excess trainers are not used. If you need 28 but accidentally keep going to 35, and then "use" those 35, only 28 will be consumed. So for the moment, you can make life easier by just holding down to excess.

That's true of course, but in the early game you are constantly running out of trainers and want to preserve every bit of XP you can get. Using the above example, 28 gold trainers is 70,000 xp and 29 trainers is 72,500 xp. The extra 1250 xp is not needed and is lost when it could have been used to level others, say from level 20 to almost level 30 (which takes 1800 xp). You CAN use a gold trainer to go from level 1 to 10, if you don't care about wasting 2,365 xp, but why would you? (I'll admit I just did this by mistake recently).
    Actually I think a slider would be more difficult than the current system. I'm sorry. I just hold my finger down a while, then it uses what it needs to, then boom. When I sit there and adjust the sliders for things, it never gets as accurate as I want.

I agree, it is difficult to control a slider when you play on mobile. And of course if you are NOT concerned with preserving trainers, you could still just slide it to the end, and the excess will not get used. I do this all the time in the replicator. On PC it is much easier to control the slider, because you are using the mouse to adjust, and you have the option of using arrow keys to fine tune the amount.
  • Here's another scenario to consider:

You have a crew at Level 90, and you have just equipped the last item to Immortalize. However, you have spend ALL of your purple and gold trainers, but you have plenty of others available. You need 112,200 xp to immortalize. Which would you rather do, hold down a button on the blue 3* trainers (100 xp) until it gets to 1,122 or move a slider until it gets to that point? I've done it on mobile, and my finger gets REALLY tired.
  • ChangChang ✭✭✭
    I'd rather just have a button that autofills the trainers to the amount you need.
  • I love the slider idea, But I would also like to advocate for just imputing a numerical value. Either a slider like the replicator, or a empty area to type on the amount to be used.
  • MRNelsonMRNelson ✭✭✭
    Also good ideas, but my main reason for picking a slider is because the coding is already present on the Starbase Donation screen. It would be very easy to implement.
  • I think a slider for trainers is an awesome idea!