Home Make It So!
Options

Request: Way to export crew list

It would be nice if there was either an option either in game or possibly on the Disruptor Beam site that allowed some kind of dump of your crew (both active and cryo'd).

Relevant data being, names, level, and stats.

In-game, possibly a button that could email you an excel or csv file with the info.

Other option would possibly be a website that you can access that is linked to your account that can send or display the data.
"If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."

Comments

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fully support this request!

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    NivenFres wrote: »
    It would be nice if there was either an option either in game or possibly on the Disruptor Beam site that allowed some kind of dump of your crew (both active and cryo'd).

Relevant data being, names, level, and stats.

In-game, possibly a button that could email you an excel or csv file with the info.

Other option would possibly be a website that you can access that is linked to your account that can send or display the data.

A lot of games have a conventional way of doing this, by way of a URL that you hit that returns a JSON or XML dump of your profile, generally locked behind a revocable API key (a hex blob of data) that you can read by logging in to the core website with your normal credentials.

I can understand why DB might be reluctant to implement such a feature - it exposes a massive potential denial-of-service vulnerability, plus a lot of security vulnerabilities. There are ways to mitigate these vulnerabilities, but it takes a lot of work from people who are familiar with the security issues involved. I can't blame DB if they don't want to take on that beast, not when there are so many bugs they could fix and improvements they could make within the game itself.

Also, the very thing that we would want this feature for - the ability to programmatically work with our crew stats out-of-game - would significantly change the metagame. There'd be auto-shuttle-filling tools (plug in your crew XML, plug in the skill slots in the missions you've started, and out comes your optimal shuttle crews) and suchlike that would give a potentially breaking advantage to people who used such tools, to the point that they'd become mandatory if you wanted to win events. I can't blame DB for not wanting to open that can of worms either.

I'd love to have such a feature all the same.
  • Options
    Mithiwithi wrote: »
    Also, the very thing that we would want this feature for - the ability to programmatically work with our crew stats out-of-game - would significantly change the metagame. There'd be auto-shuttle-filling tools (plug in your crew XML, plug in the skill slots in the missions you've started, and out comes your optimal shuttle crews) and suchlike that would give a potentially breaking advantage to people who used such tools, to the point that they'd become mandatory if you wanted to win events. I can't blame DB for not wanting to open that can of worms either.

I'd love to have such a feature all the same.

It's really no different than what is happening at the moment except it's automating the data entry from the game rather than players doing it manually in a spreadsheet with (incomplete) data from the wiki.

SSR Noob
    Spoiler of spoils