Home Make It So!

Trait changes

I don't know where the new trait changes came from but some of them are silly. For example, you add Musician to Enterprise-E Picard but not Enterprise-D Picard. Enterprise-D Picard plays the recorder in several episodes of the series after "learning" to play in the episode "Inner Light". Similarly, you add pilot to all versions of Dax, including Festive Jadzia Dax. Festive Jadzia Dax didn't do any piloting. Where are these trait decisions coming from? Many of them don't seem to have any bearing on the actual episodes or characters.

Comments

• I mean, it's not like that's the underpinning of their entire society or something...
  • been asking for this forever. one Klingon to date has that trait, Barrack.
  • Neos472Neos472 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    i guess he is the only true klingon warrior jokes aside it would be a nice addition
  • Well, he did chose death by iffy computer animation in the face of being part of that terrible, terrible movie.
  • I wasn’t sure if I should put this here, the Bridge, or Engineering, so I’ve just stuck in here to begin with. DB has finally gotten around to changing and addding some of the traits needed. Admittedly I disagree with their change to Shinzon, as I think they should’ve just added the Reman trait and left the Romulan one too, because Reman is not as useful as Romulan, but that’s beside the point I suppose. I just wanted to say, where DB might read this, that there are still plenty of Trait issues out there that need fixing. I’ll give you a glaring example. Admiral Cartwright doesn’t have the Starfleet Trait, but he’s a friggin’ Admiral in Starfleet! That’s just one example. Can anyone else name some others that DB missed? We need a list.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • As you mentioned, Picard learns to play during "The Inner Light", so Enterprise-D Picard could easily represent him prior to the events of that episode. And Jadzia doesn't magically lose her ability to pilot a ship by putting on a dress, it's something she would know how to do regardless.
  • "Villain" trait was given to Lursa Duras and B’Etor Duras, but not the Duras Sisters?
  • I think Guinan should have CIVILIAN
  • All versions of EMH should have "Doctor" trait. His name is literally "The Doctor" ;) Currently Command Hologram and President of Earth don't have "Doctor" trait. It's not like he stopped being a doctor when he was in command of the ship or when in the holoprogram. Just like Sulu and Tom Paris are still pilots when they're not actively flying.

Ilia Probe should have "Android" trait.

Lal should have "Civilian" trait.

Mirror Bashir should not have "Augment" since he was never made into an augment as a kid.

There are still more costumed characters without the trait "Costumed" (like Gangster Kirk).

Commando Shran should have "Duelist" trait.

Lots of Starfleet and Federation people without those traits. Exampes:
    - Assimilated Tuvok: he a Federation citizen and a Starfleet officer working undercover.
    - RAF Julian Bashir: he's still a Doctor while in the holoprogram (unlike EMH when he's in one??) but for some reason Federation and Starfleet are removed. Is he no longer a Federation citizen and Starfleet officer when he enters the holosuite?
    - Wil Scarlet Worf
    - Picard working undercover as Galen

There are many crew who retain their Starfleet and Federation traits when in holoprograms or otherwise in costume. A few examples:

- Robin Hood Picard (so why not Will Scarlet Worf?)
    - GI Chakotay
    - Combat Medic Paris
    - Detective Data

+ if Hologram Barclay has "Federation" + "Starfleet" traits, Admiral Picard should too.

+ If The Viceroy is both Romulan and Reman, wouldn't Shinzon be too?

These are all just examples from my own crew. I'm sure there are many more.
  • I think all characters who have abilities or traits, should retain them regardless of what they're doing at the time. All Picards post-Stargazer should be musicians, all Jadzias pilots, all Starfleet officers/Federation citizens still Starfleet & Federation while they're doing something in a holoprogram, etc.
  • dwhisper wrote: »
    Well, he did chose death by iffy computer animation in the face of being part of that terrible, terrible movie.
    indeed, but that music tho!

• It’s like you’re reading my mind. I couldn’t have said it better myself and I agree with your assessments 100 percent. Now, if we could just get DB to actually listen for once.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Zann Calcore (ISA)Zann Calcore (ISA) ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Here’s another example. Generally, I’d say that most every Tom Paris should have the pilot trait. After all, that was specifically what he was known for as well as the reason why Janeway got him out of prison. As for Combat Medic Paris, I could actually see him not having pilot for that one, because he had a neural suppressant keeping his real personality buried, but one thing he should have is the Nurse trait. I mean, he’s a combat medic for crying out loud. Both that persona and Paris were trained nurses so he should have that trait. Anyone got any more? I’m sure there are tons still.

And another thing; which hologram Barclay is that suppose to be? I mean, as far as I can recall there are only about two instances of that and one of them was more of a delusion than a real hologram I think. If it’s the Doctor’s delusion, is he still a hologram? If it’s the ferengi infiltration hologram, then shouldn’t he have undercover operative or saboteur or both?
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually we don't know if Mirror Bashir was augmented or not. it's not explored enough to get the gist of his origins, etc.
    This is more broad than just one character missing a trait.

I'd like to see a Trait introduced that shows the parent character of each child/flavor.

For instance, all versions of Sisko should have Sisko in their traits.

Oh no! You say, you can already search Sisko, and see all of them. Nay Nay I say, as not all Siskos have Sisko in the name. Currently the one sticking out is Hippocrates Noah.

Oh, but this is just a one off, so not really affecting anything else right? Nay Nay again I say, as there's a Kira as well. And not all Jadzia, nor Daxes come up in said searches as well. To prep for the last mega event, I searched for Ezri, Dax and Jadzia to find all the hits. (and that would not have given Z-Odo.)

If there is some other way of accomplishing this, I'm open, but I'd really like to be able to search my crew easily and effectively for event bonus crew.

Oh and yes I can do the wiki. I just can't click Favorite on the wiki screen ;)

• • Villain - Lursa Duras, B’Etor Duras,
    yeap, they got the Trait "Villain" added to their list,
    but for some reason the "Duras Sisters" some how got missed.
    so what other traits got missed?
    DB needs to fire the Ferrengi and higher more Engineers, Rom doesn't count.
    [FSC] Peace Keepers
    Gryphon [****] Adm
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    So by parent, do you really mean variant? You didn't mention Ben/Jake or Beverly/Wesley, which is what I thought you meant when I first saw parent.

There was a DB comment back in the old forums something to the effect that you should be able to find Noah when searching Sisko. I don't know if that meant it was a bug or a planned new feature, but one way or another it was something they wanted to provide.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone gives you a hundred gifts and all you wanna talk about is the one thing you didn't get.
    Dralix wrote: »
    So by parent, do you really mean variant? You didn't mention Ben/Jake or Beverly/Wesley, which is what I thought you meant when I first saw parent.

There was a DB comment back in the old forums something to the effect that you should be able to find Noah when searching Sisko. I don't know if that meant it was a bug or a planned new feature, but one way or another it was something they wanted to provide.

Yeah I meant variant. I was thinking Parent-Child in database terms. (And this is what happens when I work on posts during lunch at work.)

They may want to provide it, they may talk about providing it, but until it is provided, I think this needs to keep being brought up from time to time.

This past event really brought it to the forefront of my mind. Even if they fix Sisko, you've got Dax , Kira, Picard and others that need this kind of attention. Putting in an attribute for everyone that gets filled in with who the parent object is whether it be trait or not but is searchable, is needed under DBs current naming conventions.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are already at least 4 threads on this topic - one in the Bridge, one in Engineering, two in Make It So.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    They may want to provide it, they may talk about providing it, but until it is provided, I think this needs to keep being brought up from time to time.

Completely agreed, especially given the personnel changes. If the champion of this idea is no longer with them, it could be forgotten without player feedback.

And it's a feature I'd like to see too.
    Someone gives you a hundred gifts and all you wanna talk about is the one thing you didn't get.

Fixing a mistake is not a 'gift'. That's like saying when you pay for car repairs, that it is a gift that the engine turns over.
    Dralix wrote: »
    There are already at least 4 threads on this topic - one in the Bridge, one in Engineering, two in Make It So.

I agree, this one is all over the place. We need a Flag option that isn't spam or report, but just 'wrong place'.
  • The more threads the better. The more likely someone at DB will actually notice. Anyhow, I noticed some more. Admiral Picard and Ambassador Neelix still have the Ambassador Trait, which is suppose to be defunct. Also with a defunct Trait is Romulan Kirk with the Spy trait. Finally, I just wanted to say something that’s more of a generalized statement than any specific trait fault. We’re finally getting more and more characters from all the shows and a lot of them throughout the years have been robots or androids of some kind or other. This current event is a perfect highlight of this fact. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I think I would be highly encouraging for DB to streamline things a bit and instead of creating a whole new trait every time they add a new robotic crewman, just give them the Android trait and be done with it. No more “Probes” and “Automated Units”, just straight up androids. If they really had to or wanted to differentiate between sentient cyber beings and just advanced machines then they could have two simple traits. Android for the complex and Robot for the simple. Ok, that’s all, just thought I’d slap that down here.
  • been asking for this forever. one Klingon to date has that trait, Barrack.

Sorry to tack this on but I just remembered. Civil War Worf had the Warrior trait at one time but they took it off him and said that Warrior would now be a defunct trait. Then, of course, they go and use it on the presidential Klingon. Sometimes they can’t seem to make up their minds about these things.