Home The Bridge
Options

Super Rare and Rare Crew

edited March 2019 in The Bridge
Is it a good idea to freeze all my Super Rare crew or do I need to keep some of them?

And can I freeze all the Rare crew? I'm pretty sure I don't need all the Uncommon crew there as well.

Froze all my Common crew already.

I know I need Rare crew for the Arena Battles. Are any other the lower crew's from Uncommon good for Arena Battles?

What about the Gauntlet? Do I need any of the above crew?

Edit: Also, which crew has the most variations in the game? So far, I counted fifteen for Captain Picard. Is he the most in the game?

Comments

• Options
    {SoCo} BenBen{SoCo} BenBen ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have frozen all my common and uncommon Crew. The only two rare Crew still active are Kang and Smiley for the Arena. There are several good super-rare, for shuttles, voyages or Gauntlet. For example:

Mirror Phlox
    Antaak
    possessed Kes
    Nurse Garland

I use Penk and Ardra for the Arena.

Edit: Yes, I think so.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the qualification that any freezing decisions should be based on who gets regular use on voyages, in shuttle missions, in the arena, and in the gauntlet (event crew can be thawed and re-frozen), it should be safe to freeze all crew below 4* other than Kang and Smiley. You can freeze them as well if you don’t care to be in the top couple thousand ranks in the Commander arena division.

For super rares, the point will come where few, if any, will need to remain in your active crew. I have only 20 4* crew that I keep for shuttle or gauntlet help, plus one for vanity purposes and one other because he is a beloved character variant that I can’t bear to put on ice. I could probably put at least half of those on ice and suffer only a couple percent loss in shuttle success rates and maybe a few minutes on very specific kinds of voyages if I ever get pressed for slots.

If you haven’t done so already, a good place to start would be taking notes on which crew you use over the course of a couple of weeks. Maybe a month, to make sure you cover a variety of voyage skill combos, shuttle missions for different factions, gauntlet trait combos, and events. Anyone that isn’t on that list definitely belongs in the freezer even if you have extra slots open - for example, I’m at 174/210 even with a bunch of thawed crew for this weekend’s event.

And if you are still struggling for slots at that point, start freezing people at the bottom of your list and work your way up until you have a comfortable cushion of open slots or you get to crew that are used frequently. Although I kept Professor Scott because he was yet another beloved character, he does get limited use for Augment and Section 31 shuttles while also running ENG-heavy voyages. However, if he (858 ENG) were in the freezer I would have just used my 3/5* Leonardo (855 ENG) or 2/5* La Borge (846 ENG) instead and probably not noticed a difference. If you have partially-fused legendaries, they are likely to be able to do things that FF super rare crew can do with minimal loss of effectiveness.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Is it a good idea to freeze all my Super Rare crew or do I need to keep some of them?
    It depends:

1. Are your crew slots full and overflowing?
    2. Have you frozen all your 1, 2 and 3-star crew?
    3. Do you find that you use them regularly on Voyages, Shuttles, Gauntlet, Arena, and Faction/Skirmish Events?
    4. Do you have Legendary crew which equal or exceed a Super-rare crew's functionality?
    5. If slots are full, is a crew currently in Overflow more important to you than the functionality that Super-rare provides?[/quote]

If the answer to any or all of those questions is "No," you may want to consider keeping that particularly Super-rare active.
    And can I freeze all the Rare crew? I'm pretty sure I don't need all the Uncommon crew there as well.
    If you have completed all weekday Cadet Challenges and weekend Advanced Cadet Challenges at all difficulty levels, you can probably freeze all your 1, 2 and 3-star crew, UNLESS your current crew strength is such that you use them on a regular basis. Then only freeze those you don't find yourself using.
    I know I need Rare crew for the Arena Battles. Are any other the lower crew's from Uncommon good for Arena Battles?
    It's going to depend on which ships you have at max level. There's currently another thread discussing ideal Arena crew here.
    What about the Gauntlet? Do I need any of the above crew?
    Again, you will have to test yourself whether you regularly use any of your Super-rare or Rare crew in the Gauntlet. Or even Uncommon or Common, depending on your level and progress in the game.
    Edit: Also, which crew has the most variations in the game? So far, I counted fifteen for Captain Picard. Is he the most in the game?
    I believe it is Picard, with 18 current variants. There was a recent thread on this, as well, but I can't recall what it was called.

Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    TLDR: You need the crew you use. If you use a crew you need them, if you don't then you can freeze them.
  • Options
    FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    On Character Variants: Here is my list of 10 and higher (With the breakout by Rarity)
    r3kmarz9m8jj.png
    Janeway is technically tied with the 13 crowd (I have not added Evolved Janeway to my database yet)
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    TLDR: You need the crew you use. If you use a crew you need them, if you don't then you can freeze them.

Nice, short and logical answer.

Thanks AviTrek.
  • Options
    Why does everyone keep mentioning Kang and Smiley?

Are they good in Arena Battles?
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does everyone keep mentioning Kang and Smiley?

Are they good in Arena Battles?

They are excellent for use on the Bird of Prey in the Commander division. Kang provides a monster attack bonus triggered on breaking a cloak and Smiley provides an instant shield boost. No other 3* crew come close to their level, though I occasionally see an Odo from time to time in Smiley’s spot. I once tried to save on crew slots by replacing them with some of my weekend cadets (before cadet missions were warpable) and went from 2000ish place to 8000ish place in maybe a day or two.

If you don’t have any good 4*/5* crew for ship battles they may have uses in other divisions as well, but there are a lot of 4* crew with good ship abilities.