Home The Bridge
Options

U.S.S. Discovery

2»

Comments

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was obvious he sat down on his end. If people are going to spend time picking nits but not spend a second to pay attention they cannot blame the writers for that.

Nobody is blaming anyone. I believe that the biggest problem with Abrams' Star Trek was that he focused on looking cool at the expense of practicality. Classic Star Trek was built on practicality, partly because of the budget but also because of Roddenberry's vision of a utilitarian utopian future. My point is that this hologram stuff might look cool and all, but it's pretty silly from any other perspective.

Practicality like having no seat belts even though the bridge crew gets thrown around every battle? Practicality like having no oxygen masks handy when the life support goes out nearly every week? The future will have superior tech to our own, so why wouldnt they have holograms?
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaitee wrote: »
    the participants don't have to stand bolt upright in the half-metre patch of floor that's rigged to project their image (I liked the idea they were trying for in 'For the Uniform', but it was too constrained to fly properly on screen), they can just forget that they're light years apart and talk like they're in the same room

The view screen worked the exact same way in TNG. No matter where Picard walked to, the camera followed. Same on the other ships.

Kind of like how turbolift rides were always just long enough to drive home a plot point, unless it was a really serious point, then they'd have to "halt."

• Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Practicality like having no seat belts even though the bridge crew gets thrown around every battle?
    Exactly what I was going to post. The Orville had a cute comment about that too in the first episode, I think.
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if I want to make a phone call I've gotta stand up and I can't scratch my junk or they'll see.

Well you don't have to stand up (that was why the 'For the Uniform' attempt at the tech seemed so awkward), the Sarek thing suggests that you can just stay on the couch, and the system will project your image onto any convenient bit of furniture at the other end.

But if you do scratch your knee, or wherever your junk is, yeah - I mean, that's just like talking to someone face to face. Unless the system can send a simulated image, in which case you can be Captain Riker coding your communications system to send Starfleet Command an image of you in standard uniform because you don't really want them to know you've instituted Skant Friday on the Titan. But presumably official channels of communication would have verification mechanisms to ensure that the holo-image they're receiving is actually what's being read at the other end, not an overlay, which is why it kept failing when they tried to do it on DS9 and Garak or Dukat had to talk or shoot them out of it as circumstances demanded. Bottom line, if you absolutely must be getting oo-mox while you chat with your boss, yeah, use a voice-only link, I'm sure that's still an option.
  • Options
    Warping in a solar system is frowned upon. ;)

Yeah, people like the show and people don't like the show. Those that do can often look past these continuity errors (i.e. sometimes its okay to warp around a solar system, sometimes not), others don't like the show because of the errors. To each their own. I loved DS9 and hated VOY. I liked the Star Trek movies but didn't care for TOS. People have different taste and different standards. Thankfully, we all don't have to agree to like the same things and, again thankfully, there is enough canon out there that people can usually find enough Star Trek that they like to offset what they don't.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!