Home The Bridge

wiki unusable again?

kobakoba ✭✭✭
Hi. Wiki is experiencing difficulties again? Its super slow and I cant log in.
Leader of the Czechoslovak Fleet (Starbase level 134). We are recruiting!

My Cryostasis Vault

Comments

• Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s definitely loading slow but still working.
  • So slow, not useable.
  • kobakoba ✭✭✭
    I got this when attepmpting to log in:

"There seems to be a problem with your login session; this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking. Go back to the previous page, reload that page and then try again. "

My Cryostasis Vault
  • I find I'm having more success Googling specific pages in the wiki and following the link than using the wiki's internal search at the moment.
  • Even if you're already logged in, it won't accept edits.
  • kobakoba ✭✭✭
    any information from website administrators about solving this problem?

My Cryostasis Vault
  • middleheadmiddlehead ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I don't think any of the Admin admins even browse here to see it. I did send an email from the admin noticeboard page, but no response yet.
  • ACEACE ✭✭✭
    I've sent two emails, tweeted them, left questions on their Talk pages, and tried all the DB channels. Nothing so far.
  • kobakoba ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    im absolutely NOT ungrateful or unthankful, but this is exactly THE situation, why I preferred to stay with startrektimelines.gamepedia.com

My Cryostasis Vault
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    koba wrote: »
    but this is exactly THE situation, why I preferred to stay with startrektimelines.gamepedia.com

well if you want to bury your head in the sand ...

the admin for that site completely disappeared
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • I still can't edit anything or log in on a browser where a session wasn't saved, but it's running better now so hopefully one of the two is fiddling with something.
  • kobakoba ✭✭✭
    the admin for that site completely disappeared

which site? stt.wiki or gamepedia?

I remember we (community) moved from previous host of STT wiki (also unstable and heavily spammed at the end) to gamepedia. To be more specific - I remember they moved all content from the old wiki to gamepedia.

Then a part of community on this forum stated, that gamepedia has many ads a thus created stt.wiki, where all content from gamepedia was copied and updated until this day. So gamepedia was abandoned then.

My Cryostasis Vault
  • This is all - potentially - a huge problem. The wiki is an invaluable source of information for this game and if it is currently buggy as heck or without admin support, it's more endangered than the California condor.

There are a lot of really smart tech savvy people in this community. I am not one of them. There's GOT to be someone among us who has wiki admin experience who could step up to the plate, though. Anyone?

Maybe it's time we make a player WWF* to figure these issues out productively.

*Working Wiki Federation
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
    koba wrote: »

which site? stt.wiki or gamepedia?

yes

• People supported the idea of a standalone site at the time because it would offer better control over modules and scripting, but I don't know how much that has really come into play.

I know I didn't want gamepedia back then because it was blocked by my web filter at work, but that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.
  • ACEACE ✭✭✭
    Gamepedia told me the server was full. Not sure a cap on active logins is what we want.
    In other news, the STT Wiki is back up! Looks like an update happened. Pics post immediately upon upload, etc.
  • In other news, the STT Wiki is back up! Looks like an update happened. Pics post immediately upon upload, etc.

That's what I was just coming back to post, that it looks like the problems might've actually been Titan starting the update process. He did say it'd take a couple days to do. Only problem with that theory is that Category pages haven't updated, but maybe that'll still take time to catch up.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of 6:45 PM Pacific time not only is the wiki back up for me, it is lightning fast and seems to have a few new bits going on.
  • kobakoba ✭✭✭
    Those are great news!
    middlehead wrote: »
    He did say it'd take a couple days to do.

And where? I must somehow overlook this information. This whole topic seems to be meaningless, if this maintenance was planned.

My Cryostasis Vault
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep wiki working now for me.
    Let’s fly!
  • koba wrote: »
    Those are great news!
    middlehead wrote: »
    He did say it'd take a couple days to do.

And where? I must somehow overlook this information. This whole topic seems to be meaningless, if this maintenance was planned.

I don't mean to say this was planned, the comment I remember him making wasn't recent. It would've been on a Talk page somewhere, likely his or the Admin Noticeboard, back during an early flurry of questions about Category pages being dead.

If this was a planned upgrade, it would've been nice if he'd put it on the Admin board where somebody like you or I could see it, assuming you're the same Koba from the wiki. I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually that the site developed more issues from being out of date, and that forced his or Ben's hand to do the upgrade.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well whoever fixed it and maintain it I appreciate it. I use stt.wiki every day. It is a very helpful tool.
    Let’s fly!
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for getting it working again if you’re responsible for that and reading the thread.

What has been a concern for me lately is the adverts. My browser was redirected a week ago due to an ‘infected’(illegal) advert. At best of times there’s an advert under each heading.

If cash needed to pay hosting costs is an issue, do a campaign or whip round.
    This stuff.. seriously wiki folks, if you need cash please speak up rather than give us this...

9qhgukux8kdl.jpeg
    im9mqbo6yo8o.jpeg
    edited April 2019
    I especially dislike these ads that block the search box, with a teeny weeny little dismiss button that usually doesn’t land (but instead triggers an ad-click).

wnoqcpxc64er.jpeg
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I especially dislike these ads that block the search box, with a teeny weeny little dismiss button that usually doesn’t land (but instead triggers an ad-click).

wnoqcpxc64er.jpeg

Do what I do: zoom in on the page. The banner doesn’t resize and you can actually see the search box. I would pay money to not have to do that anymore, so if someone takes up a collection I am in.
  • This is all - potentially - a huge problem. The wiki is an invaluable source of information for this game and if it is currently buggy as heck or without admin support, it's more endangered than the California condor.

There are a lot of really smart tech savvy people in this community. I am not one of them. There's GOT to be someone among us who has wiki admin experience who could step up to the plate, though. Anyone?

Maybe it's time we make a player WWF* to figure these issues out productively.

*Working Wiki Federation

Why fly the Retired flag and still FTM and post here?? Are you retired or are you active??
    I spoke to Titan yesterday. He restarted the database server, and then applied the mediawiki 1.32 update on Friday night.