Home The Bridge

Cards Most in Need of a Re-draw?

edited April 2019 in The Bridge
There's so much fantastic art in this game: literally hundreds of quality portraits, and quite a few that got characters exactly, AWESOMELY right. (Enemy Lines Sisko, anyone?) The art is probably my single favorite thing about this game.

But I've been scrolling through my cryovault on this rainy afternoon, coming back across a few that weren't quiet so... successful, and got to wondering: Which of those iffy cards are most in need of a do-over?

My top 3 candidates:

1. There's a whole category of Weird Bashirs to pick from. Zoolander Bashir comes to mind. Alternate Future Bashir is weird, but at least mostly justified by the odd age makeup in the episode.
And then there's this, which is not justified by anything in the DS9 premeire:
72jvn34mu84c.png
Somebody was having an off day, drawing CMO Bashir. Even if it looked like the character, I still wouldn't know what's going on with that right arm.

On the other hand, why bother re-drawing a one star card with zero uses apart from collections?

So here's my real first candidate:

eocolnxe8qga.png

I'd genuinely love to see a re-draw for Darth Bashir. I do love the card anyway, (mainly because "Past Tense" was so outstanding, and partly because the nickname cracks me up), but the portraiture is definitely off. It wouldn't take much to fix this card: just touching up the face a little could make it a genuinely awesome nod to one of Trek's all-time best episodes.

[Side note: Is Alexander Siddig just really hard to draw?! We're about 50/50 on his cards so far. Here's hoping Captive Bashir will be another of the good ones!]

2. Maybe Roxann Dawson's hard to draw too? Nearly all the Torres cards look at least a little strange to me, except maybe Maquis Takeover and Human Torres. Not awful or anything, but strange.
This is the one that drives me nuts, though:
sabzi7sab35a.png
Top half is fine, but there is something absolutely unnatural about Duelist Torres's legs! Maybe it's the shading? The way they're turned? I don't even know, but they look like they belong to someone else. This card weirds me out.

And my last candidate:

3. Glam Rock Jadzia Dax.
It's mostly the lighting... and that slightly disturbing left foot. But she looks less like a warrior avenging her godson's murder, and more like a confused David Bowie impersonator:

kgusl3x2v365.pngejltyalq55v9.png

Anyone else have 'pet peeve cards' you'd love to see revisited?

If DB could be convinced to re-visit a few of the duds, which ones would you put at the top of the list?

Comments

• Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blood Oath Jadzia, Tomalok and Agent Janeway come to mind. I can’t stand the posture of Janeway, it’s not natural how she’s holding the gun.
  • Tomalak! Yes, I forgot about him.
    Those boots!
    I mean, they're kind of adorable, in a way...
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wierd-Arm Mirror Data
  • {SoCo} BenBen{SoCo} BenBen ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Mirror Reed for obvious reasons.
  • edited April 2019
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    I do hope you aren't making any negative comments about David Bowie there...

Negative? Right now, the vague resemblance to David Bowie is that card's one redeeming quality!

(Forget a redraw to look more like a Klingon warrior. Now I want a total reworking of the card into Ziggy Startrek.)
  • Klingon bride jadzia comes to my mind first. Her face looks wonky. The rest is fine but the face needs re-worked.
    smitten picard, warship tuvok, tourist reed, angel one riker, off duty tilly, formal dress wesley, kdf alexander all have cartoonish faces.
    Guinevere kira looks like she has a lightbulb behind her neck.
    All of the already above mentioned totally agree.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Klingon bride jadzia comes to my mind first. Her face looks wonky. The rest is fine but the face needs re-worked.
    smitten picard, warship tuvok, tourist reed, angel one riker, off duty tilly, formal dress wesley, kdf alexander all have cartoonish faces.
    Guinevere kira looks like she has a lightbulb behind her neck.
    All of the already above mentioned totally agree.

Warship Tuvok looks great, that evil smile is what really sells the character. I’m also not seeing an issue with Klingon Bride Jadzia; that art blows Blood Oath Jadzia and even Tourist or Mirror Jadzia out of the water.
    I thought about mentioning Klingon Bride Jadzia, her face doesn’t exactly match up with the rest of the art.
  • What is wrong with this guy? He was on someone bridge, my reaction was Yikes!
    hc8narypvi63.png

Mirror Trip is just weird and wacky.
    gwckk3yme2sm.png

He need to be more like smoking hot Tourist Trip! B)
    xe4xs6yayd1s.png
    There's card art that is awesome to behold.

• KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I'd love new art for a bunch of crew, I think we know that's not going to happen - it'd be purely a 'goodwill' thing, maybe the possibility of a bit of income if someone decides to get a pack because an old card in it they'd previously not have bothered with is now a little prettier, but that's got to be negligible in the grand scheme of things. I still have my hopes for a new Tomalak and so on, but if they happen they're going to be 'new' crew - "ambassador" Tomalak from 'Future Imperfect', that kind of thing, with the attached income of a new card versus making a change to something players already 'own'.

What I'd like to see - and maybe it's within DB's means, if they're feeling generous - would be to redo the lighting on some of the old crew. Look at this week's event folks for instance, Cardassian Kira's art isn't awful, but the lightlines on her are horrendous compared to the pencil-thin light on Paris and Lorca. Assuming they kept the PSDs of all their art with separate layers (please tell me nobody deleted those...) I'd imagine it would take far less billable hours from their artist/s to redo the lighting in line with the current style, and I feel like that'd be a worthwhile endeavour, for the level of polish on the game overall and to avoid situations like this week where the old crew in an event - which new players are seeing up front, not just trawling through the archives of oldies - looks so out of place with the new.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a crew card, but the Enterprise A should have its nacelle colors changed from red/blue to black.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The way to address these cards would be to redo the artwork for them in an event rerun. Tell everyone on Friday notes they are going to be in an event with new artwork and then people will be excited. Generate buzz for a rerun. Get people that didnt buy the card before because they did not like the artwork to buy it now.
    Let’s fly!
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    What is wrong with this guy? He was on someone bridge, my reaction was Yikes!
    hc8narypvi63.png

Mirror Trip is just weird and wacky.
    gwckk3yme2sm.png

He need to be more like smoking hot Tourist Trip! B)
    xe4xs6yayd1s.png
    There's card art that is awesome to behold.

I agree about "constipation" jake, it is plain awful. I think Mirror trip is suppose to be weird.

I am all about a smoking hot trip, but I don't completely hate the white suit thing, its not an easy color to pull off;)

Proto worf, klingon Janeway and Nelix are pretty damn ugly, but guessing they are suppose to be.
  • AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    Klingon O'Brien, Polywater Yar, changeling Martok come to mind.

Also, colonel Karr who somehow wound up with a picture of the Hirogen who killed him...
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's so much fantastic art in this game: literally hundreds of quality portraits, and quite a few that got characters exactly, AWESOMELY right. (Enemy Lines Sisko, anyone?) The art is probably my single favorite thing about this game.

But I've been scrolling through my cryovault on this rainy afternoon, coming back across a few that weren't quiet so... successful, and got to wondering: Which of those iffy cards are most in need of a do-over?

My top 3 candidates:

1. There's a whole category of Weird Bashirs to pick from. Zoolander Bashir comes to mind. Alternate Future Bashir is weird, but at least mostly justified by the odd age makeup in the episode.
    72jvn34mu84c.png
    Somebody was having an off day, drawing CMO Bashir. Even if it looked like the character, I still wouldn't know what's going on with that right arm.

On the other hand, why bother re-drawing a one star card with zero uses apart from collections?

eocolnxe8qga.png

I'd genuinely love to see a re-draw for Darth Bashir. I do love the card anyway, (mainly because "Past Tense" was so outstanding, and partly because the nickname cracks me up), but the portraiture is definitely off. It wouldn't take much to fix this card: just touching up the face a little could make it a genuinely awesome nod to one of Trek's all-time best episodes.

[Side note: Is Alexander Siddig just really hard to draw?! We're about 50/50 on his cards so far. Here's hoping Captive Bashir will be another of the good ones!]

2. Maybe Roxann Dawson's hard to draw too? Nearly all the Torres cards look at least a little strange to me, except maybe Maquis Takeover and Human Torres. Not awful or anything, but strange.
    sabzi7sab35a.png
    Top half is fine, but there is something absolutely unnatural about Duelist Torres's legs! Maybe it's the shading? The way they're turned? I don't even know, but they look like they belong to someone else. This card weirds me out.

And my last candidate:

3. Glam Rock Jadzia Dax.
    It's mostly the lighting... and that slightly disturbing left foot. But she looks less like a warrior avenging her godson's murder, and more like a confused David Bowie impersonator:

If DB could be convinced to re-visit a few of the duds, which ones would you put at the top of the list?

Darth Bashir is actually pretty solid artwork to the point in the episode where that pose occurs... at most the face maybe needs to be angled down facing but the pose is pretty accurate otherwise

yjidq7y1l4gk.jpg
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could’ve used a better still for Mirror T’Pol
  • Yateball wrote: »

My top 3 candidates:

72jvn34mu84c.png

eocolnxe8qga.png

sabzi7sab35a.png

And my last candidate:

3. Glam Rock Jadzia Dax.

Darth Bashir is actually pretty solid artwork to the point in the episode where that pose occurs... at most the face maybe needs to be angled down facing but the pose is pretty accurate otherwise

yjidq7y1l4gk.jpg

Good grief, that is a CD-ROM FMV-quality screencap.
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

They’ve actually got her in the wrong uniform.

cbb7na5qihz7.png
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been said already, but I need to repeat Tomalak.
    voav8ppmu2pn.png
    When I first started playing this game, the ONE character I wanted, before I even saw the card was Tomalak, just because I always enjoyed Andreas Katsulas.

Then I saw the card.

If I can't get a redraw, can we at least have a new card, Ambassador Tomalak? in the future?
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Yateball wrote: »
    Yateball wrote: »

My top 3 candidates:

72jvn34mu84c.png

eocolnxe8qga.png

sabzi7sab35a.png

And my last candidate:

3. Glam Rock Jadzia Dax.

yjidq7y1l4gk.jpg

Productive, thank you
    Next time I'll try to sedate my toddler that was crawling all over me while taking a cell phone picture of my tv screen to make sure I can get a better quality photo just for you, your viewing pleasure is important to me when it comes to showing that DB's source material was acceptable

I did not know you took it yourself, my apologies, no offense intended. I thought you found it on an image search somewhere. I’ve got three kids under six of my own and a fourth on the way, the struggle is real.
  • I don't think any of the Reeds are particularly stellar, but this one...

fn1r7jv6c55v.png

...that's just difficult to see.
    1st Command 12/26/18
    Immortals: 116
    -ENTERPRISE- (Mirror Empok Nor)
  • edited April 2019

Oh, I agree. The rest of the design is solid. (Weird moment to pick, but since that's what we're going with... Solid.)

It's only the face that bugs me. Kinda fuzzy, kinda skewed, kinda looks like it's not sitting the right way on his neck... And doesn't look like Alexander Siddig.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

My top 3 candidates:

72jvn34mu84c.png

eocolnxe8qga.png

sabzi7sab35a.png

And my last candidate:

3. Glam Rock Jadzia Dax.

yjidq7y1l4gk.jpg

Productive, thank you
    Next time I'll try to sedate my toddler that was crawling all over me while taking a cell phone picture of my tv screen to make sure I can get a better quality photo just for you, your viewing pleasure is important to me when it comes to showing that DB's source material was acceptable

I did not know you took it yourself, my apologies, no offense intended. I thought you found it on an image search somewhere. I’ve got three kids under six of my own and a fourth on the way, the struggle is real.

K sorry for the snarky reply then lol yes I snapped that myself back when the character was released when people were complaining that Bashir never actually stood that way in the episode so I quickly paused and snapped to say uhh yah, he did
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

They’ve actually got her in the wrong uniform.

cbb7na5qihz7.png

Yes, I found that odd. When she was in this pose she was actually in the Enterprise uniform, not the TOS
  • 75v8eaeqa5nx.png

This version of the Doctor is rough since it doesn't look like Picardo at all.