Home The Bridge
Options

Stats Breakdown

Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in The Bridge
I did an analysis of all the legendary crew. As of today there are 287 Legendaries, 212 3-skill crew, 74 2-skill crew, and single-skill scottie. The breakdown is as follows:

CMD/DIP/SEC 67
CMD/ENG/SEC 18
CMD/DIP/SCI 16
CMD/SEC/SCI16
DIP/ENG/SCI 14
CMD/ENG/SCI 11
ENG/SEC/SCI 10
DIP/ENG/SEC 8
DIP/SEC/SCI 8
DIP/SEC/MED 8
CMD/DIP/ENG 7
DIP/SCI/MED 7
CMD/DIP/MED 6
ENG/SCI/MED 5
CMD/SCI/MED 4
SEC/SCI/MED 3
CMD/ENG/MED 1
CMD/SEC/MED 1
ENG/SEC/MED 1
DIP/ENG/MED 1

CMD/DIP 19
CMD/SEC 14
DIP/SEC 12
ENG/SEC 7
ENG/SCI 6
DIP/SCI 5
DIP/ENG 2
DIP/MED 2
SEC/SCI 2
SCI/MED 2
CMD/ENG 1
CMD/SCI 1
SEC/MED 1
CMD/MED 0
ENG/MED 0

ENG 1

Comments

• Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool list! I must say I am a fan of rare skill combos.

Although isn't Stranded Quark DIP/ENG/MED?
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hasedoki wrote: »
    Very cool list! I must say I am a fan of rare skill combos.

Although isn't Stranded Quark DIP/ENG/MED?

whoops, my spreadsheet had quark's med numbers under sci. I've fixed the above. I can't guarantee I haven't made more mistakes.

The four legendary crew who do not share their stat combo with anyone else are:

CMD/ENG/MED Delta Flyer Paris
    CMD/SEC/MED Warship EMA
    DIP/ENG/MED Stranded Quark
    ENG/SEC/MED Temporal Prisoner Chakotay
  • Options
    If you're interested in crunching the numbers, you may want to take a look at this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zrObDH5UtTOfSm37pdMVmm7hwr2u6kMDgdWZpwfjON8/edit#gid=1942976

The creators may even be interested in collaboration.
  • Options
    Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If you're interested in crunching the numbers, you may want to take a look at this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zrObDH5UtTOfSm37pdMVmm7hwr2u6kMDgdWZpwfjON8/edit#gid=1942976

Thank you. I've seen it, but I prefer crunching my own data. For one thing, I found the way they calculate voyage totals to be incorrect.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jake has DIP, not CMD. That trio of skills is used by the Warship EM . . . A?

Ah, Android. I should watch that episode again. I'm not the biggest fan of Voyager, but I do love the Doctor.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hasedoki wrote: »
    Jake has DIP, not CMD. That trio of skills is used by the Warship EM . . . A?

Ah, Android. I should watch that episode again. I'm not the biggest fan of Voyager, but I do love the Doctor.

sorry, I'm half-asleep, and was reading the lines wrong. You're right, and I've corrected. I thought it looked wrong.
    I recently rewatched voyager from start to finish, without having watched another star trek in a while. It's better than I remembered. The problem is that after watching TOS/TAS/TNG/DS9, I always suffer from star trek fatigue. Couple that with a fairly lousy first few seasons (to be fair, same is true of TNG), it just feels blah. But if you get past the Kazon and Kes, the show really picks up, and most of the later season episodes can hold their own against TNG/DS9

(the first two seasons of TNG weren't that good either)
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dingbat1 wrote: »

Thank you. I've seen it, but I prefer crunching my own data. For one thing, I found the way they calculate voyage totals to be incorrect.

Agreed, the arbitrary sum up all 3 stats has always bothered me in their rankings. How do you calculate voyage numbers? I've toyed with 35% pri, 25% sec, 10% tertiary. It does move some rankings around and doesn't penalize 2 stat crew as much, but I'm unconvinced if it really makes a difference.

I've also been tempted to rank in each of the 30 possible pairs, but then what's the best way to summarize all 30 of those ranks?
  • Options
    Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Agreed, the arbitrary sum up all 3 stats has always bothered me in their rankings. How do you calculate voyage numbers? I've toyed with 35% pri, 25% sec, 10% tertiary. It does move some rankings around and doesn't penalize 2 stat crew as much, but I'm unconvinced if it really makes a difference.

I've also been tempted to rank in each of the 30 possible pairs, but then what's the best way to summarize all 30 of those ranks?

well, for starters, adding the base with the max proficiency is wrong, it should be the average proficiency. Thereafter, the totals are what they are, but when selecting crew, it's not about the highest total, but what matches the overall skillset.

As an example, quite often Braxton doesn't get on my voyage, despite his total voyage score being equivalent to having one star more than all but a handful of crew. Even though 1-star Braxton has more than 100 points more than 4-star lt. Commander La Forge, I'd pick 1-star Lt. Commander La Forge over 1-star Braxton for a SCI/ENG voyage
  • Options
    LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    If you are interested in these stats, you could also have a look at the Do Not Airlock checklist. It contains a list with the pri/sec/ter stat for each crew, and pulling a list like above should be trivial for all crew.

It also already contains a ranking of all crew by each voyage combination, with the caveat that it considers the primary and secondary skill to be equally weighted (for efficiency reasons). By default, it weighs the non-pri/sec stat at 25%, but this can be changed on the settings tab.

Just unhide the Stats tab to get to the data.

Link: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/home/leaving?target=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z4utRzFyXYQVEjHkikLAT9C2dAYitmcz7tA80ESEQQ4/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

CMD/ENG/MED Delta Flyer Paris
    CMD/SEC/MED Warship EMA
    DIP/ENG/MED Stranded Quark
    ENG/SEC/MED Temporal Prisoner Chakotay

The latter three do share it with lower rarity crew.
    AviTrek wrote: »

Two-skill crew should be ranked lower. They contribute about 16% less total stats on average and tertiary skills do matter. Pulling a chunk of 7,000 stats out of any voyage is either going to severely limit your top end, cause early AM fails, or both.

Most of the exceptions outside of young rosters are crew with a good blend of voyage total and tough skill combos like Culber's MED/SCI or 8472's SEC/SCI. A more comprehensive ranking would have to incorporate skill combo rarity, but even then you're looking at using a select few crew in select situations or the lack of raw stats will drag down your voyage times.

I agree a straight voyage total ranking isn't perfect by a long shot. Forum comments completely ignoring value over replacement in favor of the raw total is good proof of that. I'd like to see an improved ranking, but if you keep the other factors in mind, a voyage total ranking is still helpful.
    well, for starters, adding the base with the max proficiency is wrong, it should be the average proficiency. Thereafter, the totals are what they are, but when selecting crew, it's not about the highest total, but what matches the overall skillset.

As an example, quite often Braxton doesn't get on my voyage, despite his total voyage score being equivalent to having one star more than all but a handful of crew. Even though 1-star Braxton has more than 100 points more than 4-star lt. Commander La Forge, I'd pick 1-star Lt. Commander La Forge over 1-star Braxton for a SCI/ENG voyage

The spreadsheet correctly uses base + average proficiency. It's the in-game 'combined' tab in the crew panel which uses base + maxprof.

I think that Braxton vs La Forge comparison is a bit disingenuous. Braxton doesn't have any SCI and discussing him in the context of SCI/ENG as well as comparing him to a crew with a three star difference is cherry picking and an apples to oranges comparison. Are there situations where a lower ranked crew is a better option? yes. Is Braxton the superior option in the majority of situations? yes.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭

The spreadsheet correctly uses base + average proficiency. It's the in-game 'combined' tab in the crew panel which uses base + maxprof.

I think that Braxton vs La Forge comparison is a bit disingenuous. Braxton doesn't have any SCI and discussing him in the context of SCI/ENG as well as comparing him to a crew with a three star difference is cherry picking and an apples to oranges comparison. Are there situations where a lower ranked crew is a better option? yes. Is Braxton the superior option in the majority of situations? yes.

I think this is one of the biggest mistakes that many make ... making comparisons that aren't like-for-like ... the La Forge/Braxton comparison is just wrong, as I can name a ton of great voyage crew who I wouldn't throw onto a SCI/ENG voyage.

That is why, in my personal spreadsheet, I have my 5*s split out into their skill combos when looking at voyages ...
    E.g. One interesting thing is that even though I have 14 5* CMD/DIP/SEC skill crew, only one actually has them in the order SEC/DIP/CMD (Weyoun Clone 5), which means that even as a 1/5 he actually does make the odd voyage. He therefore might be an option if I ever want to add a star to a crew in the CMD/DIP/SEC category overall.
    Then, I can also look in a specific subset e.g. CMD/SEC/DIP I have 3 of ... which would best benefit from a citation/added star? etc. etc. etc.

1. Who are best voyage crew overall (e.g. Braxton's excellent raw stats)?
    2. Who are good voyage crew in their 3-skill set?
    3. Are there any unique 3-skill sets (e.g. Stranded Quark or Temporal Prisoner Chakotay)?
    4. Who are unique subset options within a 3-skill set (e.g. MDC's Age of Sail Crusher in the CMD/DIP/MED set)?

That's how I break the granularity down when comparing crew.
  • Options
    Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

No it doesn't. Try doing the math to double-check.
    Example: Captain Braxton Command is listed as 1895. His base skill is 1228 and proficiency is 271-584. Base + Max Proficiency is 1228+584 = 1812
    Base + Average Proficiency is 1228 + (271+584)/2 = 1655.5

Example: Gary Seven Command is listed at 736. His base skill is 361 and proficiency is 187-380.
    Base + Max Proficiency is 361 + 380 = 741
    Base + Average Proficiency is 361 + (187+380)/2 = 644.5
    I think that Braxton vs La Forge comparison is a bit disingenuous. Braxton doesn't have any SCI and discussing him in the context of SCI/ENG as well as comparing him to a crew with a three star difference is cherry picking and an apples to oranges comparison.
    That was actually the point I was making.

RaraRacing wrote: »
    3. Are there any unique 3-skill sets (e.g. Stranded Quark or Temporal Prisoner Chakotay)?
    4. Who are unique subset options within a 3-skill set (e.g. MDC's Age of Sail Crusher in the CMD/DIP/MED set)?

That's exactly right... and kinda the purpose of what I was doing above. It's actually surprising (to me) how many skill subsets have only 3 or less crew
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭

Example: Captain Braxton Command is listed as 1895. His base skill is 1228 and proficiency is 271-584. Base + Max Proficiency is 1228+584 = 1812

Example: Gary Seven Command is listed at 736. His base skill is 361 and proficiency is 187-380.

The spreadsheet defaults to using max starbase bonuses (I think 15% for base and 13% for proficiencies). That gives you the jump from 361*1.15 + (187+380)/2*1.13 = 736. You can adjust the starbase boosts in one of the tabs if yours are different.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is one of the biggest mistakes that many make ... making comparisons that aren't like-for-like ... the La Forge/Braxton comparison is just wrong, as I can name a ton of great voyage crew who I wouldn't throw onto a SCI/ENG voyage.

That is why, in my personal spreadsheet, I have my 5*s split out into their skill combos when looking at voyages ...
    E.g. One interesting thing is that even though I have 14 5* CMD/DIP/SEC skill crew, only one actually has them in the order SEC/DIP/CMD (Weyoun Clone 5), which means that even as a 1/5 he actually does make the odd voyage. He therefore might be an option if I ever want to add a star to a crew in the CMD/DIP/SEC category overall.
    Then, I can also look in a specific subset e.g. CMD/SEC/DIP I have 3 of ... which would best benefit from a citation/added star? etc. etc. etc.

I haven’t set up my own spreadsheet to look at tertiary skills because they are usually very low compared to the others (Dark Ages McCoy strikes me as maybe the only one where you can crack 1000 in Voyage score in all three skills with sufficient bonuses); for the purpose of planning citations, the first two skills matter much more to me. Then again, Rura Penthe Kirk is the only two-skill crew on my citation list and even then only because his base SEC is ludicrously high.

I have been doing a bit of work on a new spreadsheet tab specifically for reaching the ten hour mark on voyages. I haven’t made much progress on it, though, and I’m still not sure if I should exclude two-skill crew on principle or leave them in the calculations and see what happens.
  • Options
    I have been doing a bit of work on a new spreadsheet tab specifically for reaching the ten hour mark on voyages. I haven’t made much progress on it, though, and I’m still not sure if I should exclude two-skill crew on principle or leave them in the calculations and see what happens.

I've done a lot of work building voyage crew for each skill combination and I have very few 2 skill crew that make any voyages. That said, if the trait mix is hitting a weak skill combination (Sec/Eng or Sci/Med) then they may be a valuable part of the crew mix, allowing you to dump your highest overall crew with no matching skills into the voyage (ie Braxton on a Sci/Med voyage).
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t set up my own spreadsheet to look at tertiary skills because they are usually very low compared to the others (Dark Ages McCoy strikes me as maybe the only one where you can crack 1000 in Voyage score in all three skills with sufficient bonuses); for the purpose of planning citations, the first two skills matter much more to me. Then again, Rura Penthe Kirk is the only two-skill crew on my citation list and even then only because his base SEC is ludicrously high.

I NEVER put two skill crew on a voyage. It just doesn’t feel right to miss out on the extra points.

• Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

I NEVER put two skill crew on a voyage. It just doesn’t feel right to miss out on the extra points.

That is because you do it properly!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll still use a few during a Faction event if the stars align properly, like when the options are either Warship Tuvok or T’Kuvma versus a 1/5* who has the same or worse total score across three skills rather than two. The last star I put on Leonardo over the weekend only brings me to 25 immortal legendaries, three of which are two-skillers (Mirror Kirk along with the other two above), so I am not nearly as loaded as some out there.

Then again, I don’t know that I would really try to crack the ten-hour mark during an event...
  • Options
    ByloBand wrote: »

That is because you do it properly!

To be fair you need to have the luxury of the crew to pull it off. It can often be correct to put a 2 stat crew in if that is what you have to do to get the top 2 skills high enough. The goal should be to never use them, but especially when Med is involved few people have the ability.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

A couple of comments:
    - My main goal was to hit 8 hrs with each voyage, no matter what the two main skills are and no matter when I run the voyage (e.g. during a crew heavy event weekend) ... this is why I concentrate on all my 3-skill 5*s.
    At this moment in time I can make 8 hrs no matter what ... and I can do so using only 5* crew (have 72 of those - 13 of which are 2-skill - 11 immortal in total) ... I cannot remember the last time I used a 2-skill crew on a voyage, they usually end up on shuttles.

This means I might choose a "non-optimal" 5* in a behold when looking at it from a general perspective ... the last one I remember was Captain Rachel Garrett over a second star for Agent Janeway.

- A side goal was to be able to freeze all 4*s I have on my roster ... my opinion is I don't need 'em outside of events and a couple of Arena crew. I'd rather have a 1/5 than a 4/4 on my roster. I will use the odd non-FF 4* on certain voyages during event weekends, and still hit 8 hrs.
    They are currently all frozen (outside of event and Arena crew - including 2 3*s) and I have 30 open slots at present (175 total).

- I do find that tertiary skills matter ... think The Caretaker, Da Vinci, Crell Moset, Prince Bashir, AoS Crusher, Mirror Data, Pulaski (3-skill) ... basically any crew that has two of SCI/ENG/MED for voyages where two of those skills are main skill.
    I don't spend much time sorting through crew for voyages so I am usually happy with 9000/4000 split ... not sure what is needed for 10 hrs, but I can make 9.5 hrs for some combos on ideal days. I haven't put in any though on what 10 hrs would mean for where citations go ... not at that point yet, still need to increase the overall base scores for a number of skills (e.g. SCI - want 1000 base for 5 5* crew per category) ... such slow going though.
  • Options
    As with many discussions around this game: It depends. My 5/5 Chaotica makes it to almost every CMD/SCI Voyage. For that particular combo, I would otherwise have to bring 2/5 Assimilated Janeway or Mirror Spock to the table. While their skill set would add a little trickle to the other stats, I tend to neglect that for raw featured skill numbers. Minuet and T'Kuvma make their respective combo Voyages regularly during shuttle events, unless they are going out on shuttles themselves.

OP, good work at the breakdown. If anything, it shows the abundance of CMD/DIP/SEC characters.
  • Options
    Totalling up all 3 stats when measuring voyages is certainly important and valuable, because the driving factor towards reaching 10 hour voyages is not ONLY your top 2 stats, but also having a high number of all the supporting stats so they don't start failing rolls until as late as possible (retaining maximum AM). Maximum TOTAL stats is critical to have all those supporting numbers up high enough.

Some thoughts here seem to be thinking too short-term. In your current crew state you might fill a hole with a 2-skill crew for sec/sci voyage or other difficult variant, but more crew are coming all the time. If you focus too much on aiming for gaining 10 or 20 voyage minutes by adding citations to a 2-skill crew for a difficult voyage, you might miss out on gaining 30-40 minutes by focusing on voyages you DO have strong crew for.

I suggest not to aim for balancing all voyages equally if you've already got reliable 8 hours for them all. Does it really matter if you've got 8.75 hours on one voyage and 9.25 hours on another, enough to invest in crew for the 8.75 hours to also reach 9.25? Do you enjoy having to set alarms for ALL voyage types to maximize rewards?

Leave the harder voyages at a reliable 8 hours and focus on the "easier" voyages to reach 10 hours first. By the time you've got reliable 10 hours in 2-4 voyages, there could be new crew filling holes in harder voyages you can start working on and optimize your use of citations.
  • Options
    Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭

The spreadsheet defaults to using max starbase bonuses (I think 15% for base and 13% for proficiencies). That gives you the jump from 361*1.15 + (187+380)/2*1.13 = 736. You can adjust the starbase boosts in one of the tabs if yours are different.

I stand corrected.
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭

CMD/SEC/MED Warship EMA

Never realized that about him. It's an absolutely wonderful voyage skill set too. Another accolade for the king of VORTA (value over replacement talent available).
  • Options
    I just wanted to check in here and say I'm using your data when considering when to make rank in events/who to cite and level. I hope you keep updating it since it has potential to be a valuable resource for the STT community.
  • Options
    Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I just wanted to check in here and say I'm using your data when considering when to make rank in events/who to cite and level. I hope you keep updating it since it has potential to be a valuable resource for the STT community.

yeah, it made me more interested in conditioned la forge than I would have been otherwise, and helped me decide to pass on this week's ranked reward. I'll update it from time to time, but can't guarantee how often
  • Options
    Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭
    For anyone considering getting packs for Kes, her skill set worth it