Home The Bridge
Options

Voyage data idea

Voyages are pretty much my favorite part of STTL. Like many players I wonder about the probabilities for getting the various dilemmas. Assuming DB has not already published the probabilities somewhere I was thinking someone could setup a poll (or series of polls) for each dilemma check. (I don't know how to do a poll since I am middle aged and live under a technological rock...)

That is, there would be a poll for the 2 Hour Dilemma listing all the possible dilemmas and then we could each vote for the one we received each time we had the 2 Hour Dilemma. Similarly, there could be polls for the 4, 6, 8 hour dilemmas as well. After a few days/weeks of people voting we could get a pretty good sense of the probability of how likely we are to get each dilemma.

Good idea? Bad idea? Go back under my rock?

BTD

Comments

• Options
    I don't know if a poll would be the best way to do this. Probably having people track their results (on a standard form) and someone collating the work would be better. I would be surprised if someone hasn't already done
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.
  • Options
    Sounds good. I know other people have created forms to gather other types of game data. I don't have the skills to orchestrate that (at least not without a little guidance).

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is just random chance.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if a poll would be the best way to do this. Probably having people track their results (on a standard form) and someone collating the work would be better. I would be surprised if someone hasn't already done

I concur, assembling data via spreadsheets would be far easier to manage. It would be fun to collect and analyze data on something other than shuttle missions and the gauntlet, for a change.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing we could reverse engineer essentially what you are looking for by crunching some numbers using the STT wiki (since you live under a rock of dubious technological origins, here is that link for you: https://stt.wiki/wiki/Main_Page )

We already know the total number of dilemmas, we know how many of them are Part 1s, and assuming it is actually 100% random chance as to which dilemmas the game produces, we should be able to get a percentage chance for each 2 hour dilemma pretty accurately. From there it gets more complicated, but I suspect the information you want could be gleaned using information already published.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input. I will let it be for now.