Home The Bridge

Just how frequent is the Featured Skill?

The wiki says that when Gauntlet first started, the Featured Skill would come up roughly 30% of the time, but it also says that value changed and it's "much higher" now. Does anyone know what that value is now?

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They said the frequency of the featured crew was increased. I don’t recall the featured skill increasing but I could be wrong
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall both, but I don't know the percentage.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • PhantumPhantum ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Um. 2 of 6 skills tested each gauntlet so each skill comes up 33% of time if completely random. Or did you mean 30% more often than that or about twice as often as others?

I have been wondering recently if something changed as featured seems to come up less. Few days ago I thought I read sec instead of med or it changed while I was picking.
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For adjustment to skill pair weightings for choosing crew I give a double weight to the 5 featured pairs over the 10 non featured skill pairs.
  • Phantum wrote: »
    Um. 2 of 6 skills tested each gauntlet so each skill comes up 33% of time if completely random. Or did you mean 30% more often than that or about twice as often as others?

I have been wondering recently if something changed as featured seems to come up less. Few days ago I thought I read sec instead of med or it changed while I was picking.

Same here. I thought the featured skill was sec but med seemed to be prominent.
    In general I usually just try to build an even crew since it seems to me the featured skill rarely is dominant. Every once in a while the stated featured skill does present more often but not always. Ivd been playing gauntlet continuously since it was introduced. Most often i do NOT notice a significant increase in featured skill, sometimes i notice an increase is a non-featured skill. I have noticed no difference in performance since the supposed gauntlet changes took place. As far as the change of increased drop rates, older gauntlet crew addition, and reward scale i have only noticed difference of 3*,4*,5* supply rewards in the crates at the end instead of 2* crates.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all. I thought this was observation bias on my part. Glad to see it's not just me. I'm going to start changing how I pick Gauntlet.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless the featured skill is Med or Eng, I assume it’s both Med and Eng. When it is Med or Eng, I stack whichever of those skills it isn’t showing.

It’s always Engineering and/or Medical for me no matter what it says because it lies. I tracked a security gauntlet once, about 6 weeks ago, for the first 30 matches, 4 had Security, and 22 had Engineering match ups. Not even joking, because it’s not funny.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has always been part of my frustration with gauntlet. I just gave up complaining about it. Because it was minor compared to the way the game chooses the crew I go up against.

Have you ever noticed the ranks of those walls you go up against. Not everyone has that crew, but the game makes sure to find them throughout all the people competing. Actually my comment is really refering to a time in the past. Now many people have good gauntlet crew. Even the walls have some variety. They are not the six same crew. But a mix of upto three high prof. crew. But they are still a wall, that at best, maybe you get a 50% chance to win.
    edited May 2019
    After posting my last comment, I decided to actually take the time and note both skills and win/lose for my next gauntlet. I made it 12 rounds before all 5 crew were knocked out, and got 2 streak boxes. 3* Trainers and Caretaker (yes, I was blown away by that one, made this whole nasty experiment more palatable to get him to 3/5). Locutus, Armus, Guinan, Caretaker and Kahless, in a DIPLOMACY skill gauntlet with horrible traits so nearly all the crew are 5/25%. No one hitting for 65% for sure.
    The rounds, in order went:
    Med/Com
    Eng/Com (lost)
    Sci/Med
    Eng/Sec
    Sec/Sci 3*Trainers
    Dip/Sec
    Med/Sci
    Eng/Dip Caretaker
    Sci/Com (lost)
    Sci/Med (lost)
    Eng/Com (lost)
    Med/Eng (lost)

Yup. Med = 5 times. Eng = 5 times. Com = 4 times. Sci = 4 times. Sec = 3 times. Dip = 2 times.

It may only be 12 rounds, but I stand by my previous comment regarding Med and Eng. Also posting Round 2 with Unfatigued Kahless for everyone to enjoy.

2fr3znd0wtos.png
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tracked the majority of the current gauntlet; 86 rounds (DIP - Hunter/Astrophysicist/Bajoran)

DIP/SEC 12
    DIP/SCI 11
    CMD/DIP 9
    DIP/ENG 9
    DIP/MED 8
    SCI/MED 6
    CMD/MED 5
    SEC/SCI 5
    CMD/SEC 4
    CMD/ENG 4
    SEC/MED 4
    ENG/SCI 3
    CMD/SCI 2
    SEC/ENG 2
    ENG/MED 2

DIP occurred 49 times (57%)
    SEC - 27 (31%)
    SCI - 27 (31%)
    MED - 25 (29%)
    CMD - 24 (28%)
    ENG -20 (23%)

Small sample size, but it would seem that the featured skill occurs about twice as frequently as others.
    edited May 2019
    The next gauntlet I start and have the chance to run consistently (it was a bad/busy week to start that project) I will follow your lead and track all my battles. I played out 2 more rounds and I can say both med and eng appeared more consistently, but the occurrences of diplomacy did in fact increase, but I ceased the tracking. I was gifted a Guinan in my second play round of the same gauntlet I got a Caretaker in, so as far as I’m concerned it can throw any match-ups it likes at me if it’s going to do that.

Curious, Automaton, which 5 crew did you use?
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torias327 wrote: »
    Curious, Automaton, which 5 crew did you use?

Was my janky monthly card account - Kahless (CMD/DIP/SEC), Minuet (CMD/DIP), Armus (CMD/SEC/SCI), Okona (DIP/SEC/ENG), EMA (CMD/SEC/MED). It doesn't seem that my skill coverage/distribution affected skill occurrence in this instance. I am a bit curious if there's any skill pair occurrence weighting by overall rarity - some of the less common pairs (ENG/MED, SEC/MED, SEC/ENG) are on the lower end of frequency, but then again CMD/MED and SCI/MED were a bit higher and the data set is far too small to make any conclusions there.

Nothing jumps out at me in this case besides DIP's occurrence bonus.
    I always suspected a small bit of confirmation bias, it affects the best of us. I think I may have fun and set a goal of tracking rounds for a while. My curiosity is piqued.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Torias327 , I agree with you. A month or so ago ENG popped up so much no matter what the alleged feature skill was supposed to be that I started dragging Captain Braxton along with Banjoman to every Gauntlet!
    edited May 2019
    Great minds, Bylo. Braxton replaces Kahless for me a lot these days, Guinan if I want to give up Med.