Home The Bridge

Time Traveler Mudd

DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
Why is he not "Costumed"? He is disguised as an Andorian.......
"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."

Comments

• GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, its just some sort of weird space suit.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, its just some sort of weird space suit.

An Andorian space suit.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • When does uniform or PPE become a costume?
  • Well, prior to that, he was disguised as a gormagander...
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    When does uniform or PPE become a costume?

I imagine no thought or yelled "We are being attacked by a Hooman dressed as an Andorian!!!!"......
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When does uniform or PPE become a costume?

My own definition would be: When it is used to disguise the wearers identity or intention. i.e. a holodeck user trying to disguise the fact that they are flying around on a spaceship and to fit into a given scenario (Prospero Data), or hiding within the local population of a planet (Mintakan Troi).

By my personal definition, Mudd is using the suit as PPE, not as a way to hide or change his identity (well, there's a 10 second portion in the episode where he plays on it).

As for DB's definition? Who knows? lol
  • Most costumed, are during fun like holodeck program versions. Others who want to be hidden or are undercover missions are disguised.
    Much like most of Star Trek Discovery, the space suit was designed in a way to be spectacle at the expense of substance. The extent of their thought was "hey, what kind of space suit would look cool onscreen?"
  • PompeyMagnusPompeyMagnus ✭✭✭✭
    Much like most of Star Trek Discovery, the space suit was designed in a way to be spectacle at the expense of substance. The extent of their thought was "hey, what kind of space suit would look cool onscreen?"

Or perhaps it was more "what would a space suit look like for a species other than human? What do Andorians do with their antennae when they wear helmets?"
  • Why does he not have the criminal trait?
  • Why does he not have the criminal trait?

Because being stranded on a planet full of Stellas makes a better ending to an episode :D
    [DCC] bebe
    Privileged to be Admiral of the Great Fleet
    Dilithium Causes Cancer, maxed Starbase level 134
    Featuring photonic flee free holodecks and
    All you can drink Neelix's Even Better Than Coffee Substitute!
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point of the suit was to hide his appearance. Mudd had been on the run so it might have been difficult for him to get a human spacesuit. Further, Mudd is an ostentatious man of flash and flair. The helmet and suit fit well with his circumstances and nature. In what way did you feel that his cool spacesuit hurt the show? Should they make things look not cool?
    Let’s fly!
    The point of the suit was to hide his appearance. Mudd had been on the run so it might have been difficult for him to get a human spacesuit. Further, Mudd is an ostentatious man of flash and flair. The helmet and suit fit well with his circumstances and nature. In what way did you feel that his cool spacesuit hurt the show? Should they make things look not cool?

You see a spacesuit, I see a caricature. Do you really think Andorian space suits look like something DJ Deadmaus would wear onstage? The conversation in the writer's room went like this:

Writer 1: Hey, Mudd should be wearing a space suit, right? How can we make him look as ostentatious as possible? OOOOH, I know, let's give him an ANDORIAN space suit!!
    Writer 2: Why?
    Writer 1: Dude, they're blue and they have antennae!
    Writer 2: Wait, what? Do you think a race's space suits have to be the same color as their skin?
    Writer 1: Shut up, it will look cool as hell, especially since we've already written a dance party into the episode.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

You see a spacesuit, I see a caricature. Do you really think Andorian space suits look like something DJ Deadmaus would wear onstage? The conversation in the writer's room went like this:

Writer 1: Hey, Mudd should be wearing a space suit, right? How can we make him look as ostentatious as possible? OOOOH, I know, let's give him an ANDORIAN space suit!!
    Writer 2: Why?
    Writer 1: Dude, they're blue and they have antennae!
    Writer 2: Wait, what? Do you think a race's space suits have to be the same color as their skin?
    Writer 1: Shut up, it will look cool as hell, especially since we've already written a dance party into the episode.

I bet you're right, but let's be fair to those writers. It did look cool, and it kind of fits who Mudd is -- someone who grabs his tech where he can and does the unexpected.

And here's a photo of one of the writers with Rainn Wilson in Andorian space suit:
    oucp9zerzhay.png
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends