Home The Bridge

Shuttle Event Feedback from a returner

Just started back after a 6 month hiatus, did the latest shuttle event and wanted to share my feedback. When I last played there were no such things as shuttle tokens. Wow have they changed the dynamics of that event. I bought the $99.99 pack the day before the event started, maxed out Tuvok, and shared him with my squad. After going very hard for 4 days I still ended up placing 1670. This includes using time and loot boosters, 10 shuttle tokens (at the end), and only failing 2 shuttle missions. I was extremely disappointed that I didn't at least place above the 1500 mark so I could get the next events 5 star crew prepped. I realize a lot of this game is pay to win but, holy cow, that was extremely discouraging for future events. Unless something changes I will most likely not be going that hard or spending that kind of money / dedication in the future.

A couple of suggestions I have.
1) Limit the number of shuttle tokens that can be used per event. This would still allow people to spend money on the event but also even the playing field a little.

2) Offer more 5 star crew as rewards. For example, making the reward available to people who place from 1-3000 instead of 1-1500.

Just my personal feedback so take it as you want.

Comments

• (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you kickstart your event? Due to campaigns many people are full of shuttle tokens and boosts. DB did just extend legendary from 1000 to 1500. But yes, competition is crazy fierce. Makes the events much more difficult but also more exciting. The extra shuttles add in a new element. It allows for people to make up lost ground which is good. But it also means people can lose ground which is bad. I find faction events much more enjoyable now though. I do not just lock in my rank on thursday and coast the rest of the event like many of us did before the changes. Further, I can get more dilithium the higher I go. If DB extended the legendary out further than 1500 they would then have to then extend out the two legendaries for placing top 25 to top 100 or 200 which I would not be opposed to. DB should extend the two legendaries out further anyways. 3000 seems too far to extend the legendary but maybe 2000.
    Let’s fly!
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kirkish1 wrote: »
    Just started back after a 6 month hiatus, did the latest shuttle event and wanted to share my feedback. When I last played there were no such things as shuttle tokens. Wow have they changed the dynamics of that event. I bought the $99.99 pack the day before the event started, maxed out Tuvok, and shared him with my squad. After going very hard for 4 days I still ended up placing 1670. This includes using time and loot boosters, 10 shuttle tokens (at the end), and only failing 2 shuttle missions. I was extremely disappointed that I didn't at least place above the 1500 mark so I could get the next events 5 star crew prepped. I realize a lot of this game is pay to win but, holy cow, that was extremely discouraging for future events. Unless something changes I will most likely not be going that hard or spending that kind of money / dedication in the future.

1) Limit the number of shuttle tokens that can be used per event. This would still allow people to spend money on the event but also even the playing field a little.

2) Offer more 5 star crew as rewards. For example, making the reward available to people who place from 1-3000 instead of 1-1500.

Welcome Back!

When the tokens first appeared, I would have agreed with limiting them per event as it was very easy to buy a bunch.
    Now that is not the case, they only appear as rewards in Faction events, and awards in the campaigns. (And they are very easy to accumulate, I had over 50 coming into this event) So it is very possible to horde the rentals and use them strategically.

One thing in particular about this event was the amount of strong bonus crew, it allowed me to run 8-10 shuttles at a time in some cases. Usually, I may only be strong enough to run 1 or 2 extra. So this event was an outlier.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flemming wrote: »
    Kirkish1 wrote: »

Welcome Back!

When the tokens first appeared, I would have agreed with limiting them per event as it was very easy to buy a bunch.
    Now that is not the case, they only appear as rewards in Faction events, and awards in the campaigns. (And they are very easy to accumulate, I had over 50 coming into this event) So it is very possible to horde the rentals and use them strategically.

One thing in particular about this event was the amount of strong bonus crew, it allowed me to run 8-10 shuttles at a time in some cases. Usually, I may only be strong enough to run 1 or 2 extra. So this event was an outlier.

This was my experience as well. I started with 60 tokens (having used few over the last couple of Faction and hybrid events) and ended up with 13. Same for boosts, where I came in with about 190 saved up and am around 90 now. Ended up ranked 623.

The kicker was indeed the huge number of good bonus crew - when I was pulling off five or six 90%+ time-boosted shuttles and another five or six 80+% skill-boosted shuttles, it was all thanks to relatively common crew like Ru’afo, Armus, the Borg Queen, Determined Janeway, and a litany of older 4* crew (my 1/5* Resilient Tuvok, immortal Klingon Janeway, immortal Warship Tuvok, 2/5* Rura Penthe Commandant, and 3/5* Survivalist Kirk all helped a lot but weren’t so widely available like the others). The large number of ENG seats were magnificently filled by crew like Time Loop Mudd, Prisoner O’Brien, EV Suit Tucker, alongside the 5* crew and Obrist. I even had a few shuttles using my 2/5* Khan, 1/5* Mirror Bashir, and Augment Riker (their shuttles got 4* ENG or SEC boosts and still got over 80% with ease).

All in all, this was a pretty rough event for a comeback. Tons of bonus crew, good supplies of tokens and boosts, and a desirable character made for a perfect storm...hopefully the hybrid at the end of the month won’t be so bad for you.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    From an investment perspective, assuming your primary goal was to place in the top 1500, your $$ would have been better spent on getting more timers/shuttle tokens than on buying Tuvok. In fact, you probably could have spent less and still had a better result.

Since you've only been away 6 months, I'm assuming you had Ru'afo as a potential share. He would have been an excellent share, and as soon as you won Janeway you could have switched to sharing her. Sending four shuttles every three hours is no longer enough to place in the top 1500.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From an investment perspective, assuming your primary goal was to place in the top 1500, your $$ would have been better spent on getting more timers/shuttle tokens than on buying Tuvok. I fact, you probably could have spent less and still had a better result.

Since you've only been away 6 months, I'm assuming you had Ru'afo as a potential share. He would have been an excellent share, and as soon as you won Janeway you could have switched to sharing her. Sending four shuttles every three hours is no longer enough to place in the top 1500.

This is entirely correct. 4 shuttles every 3 hours will joe get you 2000-2500 so soon we will see a thread calling for the 1/5 ranked reward to be in that area.

• Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    From an investment perspective, assuming your primary goal was to place in the top 1500, your $$ would have been better spent on getting more timers/shuttle tokens than on buying Tuvok. I fact, you probably could have spent less and still had a better result.

This is entirely correct. 4 shuttles every 3 hours will joe get you 2000-2500 so soon we will see a thread calling for the 1/5 ranked reward to be in that area.

DB was so hesitant to expand the first time but now they have 1700 people putting money and time into trying to get that prize rather than 1200 people. I wonder at what level the increased competition would truly fall off...
  • Well I only used 8 shuttle tokens and I placed 157th.

I did however use 60-odd 3* time boosts, had a successful kickstart and about 115k VP from my squad.

I used 2x reward tokens when I knew I wouldn't be able to collect a 90 minute mission. I also used 9hr boosts overnight (running two extra shuttles each time).

I stopped using boosts about 6 hours from the end once I realised I wouldn't get to the top 100 (which is an outstanding achievement for me)

In my experience tokens are not the problem nor the solution!

That's just my experience of course, your milage may vary...
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

For the record, I spent $0 on the event, although I had accumulated some shuttle tokens from previous events and from the campaign, where I did purchase the premium track. I did win a 1/5 Tuvok last weekend, whom I put to use in the event, but he was quickly replaced by Janeway as the crew I shared with my squad. I placed 669th.

I'm not planning to buy the premium track for the Picard campaign since I already have Biceps Picard immortalized. It will be an interesting experiment to see if I can still place in top 1500 on a faction event without those extra shuttle boosts and tokens.
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    the real problem is the free bonus 115k from squad - but no one here wants put down that particular pipe.

for me to place now would require sending shuttles every 1.5 hours during the day. chained to the game every 1.5 hours for 5 days. so much fun.

my solution - skip shuttle events - done - tada!
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
    V. wrote: »
    the real problem is the free bonus 115k from squad - but no one here wants put down that particular pipe.

for me to place now would require sending shuttles every 1.5 hours during the day. chained to the game every 1.5 hours for 5 days. so much fun.

This is true of almost all the events compared to a year or two ago. The amount of time the nearly elite (top player but not a "whale" spender) must play in order to rank high enough to win the legendary crew reward has increased noticeably.
  • edited June 2019
    Well I only used 8 shuttle tokens and I placed 157th.

I did however use 60-odd 3* time boosts, had a successful kickstart and about 115k VP from my squad.

I used 2x reward tokens when I knew I wouldn't be able to collect a 90 minute mission. I also used 9hr boosts overnight (running two extra shuttles each time).

I stopped using boosts about 6 hours from the end once I realised I wouldn't get to the top 100 (which is an outstanding achievement for me)

In my experience tokens are not the problem nor the solution!

That's just my experience of course, your milage may vary...

This was my experience as well. I used roughly the same timers (and about 12 5* gold ones at the very end) and about 20 shuttle tokens saved up from 2 previous campaigns. Placed 289 and would of been higher if 3 90%+ 9 hour shuttles hadn’t failed.

It’s just about being strategic and picking which faction events you want to make a run on and planning accordingly!

Edit: A word
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭

This is true of almost all the events compared to a year or two ago. The amount of time the nearly elite (top player but not a "whale" spender) must play in order to rank high enough to win the legendary crew reward has increased noticeably.

nah, not on galaxy for me. it's about 6 to 8 hours of clicking - same as the first galaxy event. and you know i'm cool with it. i hate sending shuttles out anyway and it makes the game better for me to only do 1 or 2 events a month. the question remains - what to do with hundreds of shuttle rental tokens?
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was this the first event in a while they nerfed the 5*? FYI to @Kirkish1 – For a couple months the 5* crew for ranked rewards was at 2000, this week I noticed it was back to 1500 (or did I dream that? I just checked the wiki, and it shows ranked rewards for 5* always at 1500 during the events this year, but I clearly remember ). I also thought the shuttles would have bumped their VP like the Galaxy event last week, like to 5K VP max per successful shuttle. (Or did I dream that too?)
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Was this the first event in a while they nerfed the 5*? FYI to @Kirkish1 – For a couple months the 5* crew for ranked rewards was at 2000, this week I noticed it was back to 1500 (or did I dream that? I just checked the wiki, and it shows ranked rewards for 5* always at 1500 during the events this year, but I clearly remember ). I also thought the shuttles would have bumped their VP like the Galaxy event last week, like to 5K VP max per successful shuttle. (Or did I dream that too?)

Maybe in a different timeline? ;) They increased the 5* from top 1K to top 1.5K in January, but it's never been top 2K. The top shuttle VP has always been 4K per (the increase in VP for the last Galaxy, a rerun, was a carry over from the first time it was run).
  • Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭

this to me is the bigger issue. I'm F2P, and finished at 752. As of Sunday morning, I was top 250, but I didn't have it in me to spend another day checking in every 90 minutes.

*not squad leader, so no bonus there. Ran through about 8 rent-a-shuttles 70 3* time boosts, and 4 double-score boosts. As a F2P, I can't compete for the Legendary every week, but I've been trying for and winning roughly two per month consistently.
  • Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭

A while back, due to a screwup, they gave extra copies of the 5* crew to much worse ranks, but I can't recall the details. I know it was a Data Legendary.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kirkish1 like many have said, this event was a bit of an outlier, competition was unusually fierce, both due to a large pool of crew with bonuses, and because (this still feels dirty to even say) people were VERY much wanting to win this new Neelix because his voyage score is incredible. Add in that we are just coming off the second campaign where lots of people (like me) had a ton of free shuttle rentals and loads of boosts, and you get the perfect storm of leaderboard chaos.

I can tell you I had to work very hard to climb the board. I had to formulate a strategy to maximize my limited crew resources, commit a massive amount of resources (including dilithium), and I was in constant communication with another player (you know who you are) who offered me encouragement and a few strategic moves I used to help my situation, and I needed all of these to hang.

As you correctly observed, faction events have changed a lot since you last played. I hope you learn from this and come back stronger next time! It's good to have you back :)
  • Agree with many previous posters about the tokens. When they first came out, yeah tokens were kinda BS, but now we can get them so easily from ranked rewards and campaigns. You still have to have the crew to put on them. If you had every bonus crew FFFE, you still would only ever be able to fill about 10 shuttles with a 95% rating. Of course 99.9% of us have far less than all the crew, so the number is even lower. As we all know, 92% shuttles fail 50% of the time, so running the tokens when you don't have the max level crew is just wasteful.

Just remember to jumpstart right, and to always run the 3* shuttles for each faction, you'll do fine. Use your 2x boosts, always do your overnights, and make sure to clear them and send new ones out when they come home. You can be competitive without full stable of max crew and tons of tokens if you are diligent for 4 days straight.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I jump started, ran 4 shuttles most of the event, and a 5th shuttle constantly with a 9hr boost and still finished outside top 1500.. I had no shared crew but still, since the shuttle tokens it has become far more difficult to rank. It is what it is, I have not spent in months as really the thrill of getting a 5* character has kind of waned. Its just too time intensive - Im gut going to take the 4/5* Janeway from this event and anything else is a bonus

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the extra competition this time, made it a little more interesting, and I appreciate that tokens are now not agonizingly pay 2 win - they're a extra perk from an otherwise extremely rewarding campaign investment. And they help me use little-used crew, which improves my overall "game satisfaction" tremendously.

So we have multiple prongs to compete, deep crew, strategic use of tokens harvested from daily work and small investment, diligent doubler hoarding, and of course the ever-present disciplined timing and kickstart proficiency. Any one of those can help surge or catch up, and when you choose to use them is strategic. I find that fun and actually feels *less* onerous than just mechanically responding to my phone timer every 90/180 minutes...
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, many of my fleet, most of which are F2P, had some of their best results in this event. And they usually have the most struggle with Faction events. So moral is high.
    Intentionally Left Blank