Home The Bridge
Options

Level Up Crew without trainers

I just discovered an interesting feature that will certainly help the newbies.

When you have some strong crew, and some new crew, do the actual away missions or space battles (DO NOT just Warp them) with the weak crew that you want to level up, balanced with the stronger crew to make sure it is successful.

The Captain XP points automatically levels up the weak crew at the end of the mission!

I discovered this by accident, since I had a new crew as a placeholder in my bridge crew, and hit the "engage" button, instead of canceling it, when I wanted to switch my bridge crew. At the end of the mission, the "placeholder" crew went from level 1 to level 7.

Who else knew about this? We really need to make a proper manual/guide for this game!
I want to become a Dilionaire...

Comments

• Options
    Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect you just forgot this was possible from when you first started playing. When trainers were in short supply, and completing missions levelled up your crew. Otherwise you're suggesting from day one on the first time playing, you immediately levelled your first crew from level 1-10 with trainers and never ran out of trainers from let's say level 30-40 and got stuck at level 36 or something.

Or perhaps you're suggesing you assumed if ANY of the crew in the mission were level 100 that none of them would get exp? The Mission EXP icon is still displayed on the screen when you complete it though, so it would be odd if it were rewarded but not distributed to crew.
  • Options
    I also suspect you must have forgot, or didnt notice. It has always been like that. Any crew (not fully trained) used for missions train there-selves in small increments if used in missions/battles.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, has it been a loooong time since I leveled crew through away missions. Certainly as far back as the last Expedition event (when throwing level 1 warm bodies at the first few missions on Normal) and maybe further back than that. I know I did it a few times with cadet missions as well, where one or two crew could handle all the nodes and someone else was along for the ride.

If memory serves, it’s not terribly efficient by way of chronitons or just real time spent running missions. I guess it depends on whether crew XP awarded takes the same hit as captain XP when completing a mission for the first time versus a re-run. Either way, I can’t imagine this is a worthwhile method for crew leveling for anyone past their first few days of playing...granted, however, I say this is as someone who has 32,768 each of all five trainer types.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, has it been a loooong time since I leveled crew through away missions. Certainly as far back as the last Expedition event (when throwing level 1 warm bodies at the first few missions on Normal) and maybe further back than that. I know I did it a few times with cadet missions as well, where one or two crew could handle all the nodes and someone else was along for the ride.

If memory serves, it’s not terribly efficient by way of chronitons or just real time spent running missions. I guess it depends on whether crew XP awarded takes the same hit as captain XP when completing a mission for the first time versus a re-run. Either way, I can’t imagine this is a worthwhile method for crew leveling for anyone past their first few days of playing...granted, however, I say this is as someone who has 32,768 each of all five trainer types.

+1 across the trainers board, literally. 🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    FlayFlay ✭✭✭
    During my first two weeks, I ran all missions manually because I thought I would be missing out on XP if I used warp. Worst mistake ever! I didn't realize that you gain trainer items when warping to make up for the loss (no trainers when running missions manually!)
    [GER - SF] Star Fleet - recruiting active captains with event participation. Our Starbase is level 134 and we use the Line App (optional) for spam, bragging, jokes, motivation and sharing tactics. German language.
  • Options
    Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flay wrote: »
    During my first two weeks, I ran all missions manually because I thought I would be missing out on XP if I used warp. Worst mistake ever! I didn't realize that you gain trainer items when warping to make up for the loss (no trainers when running missions manually!)

Haha, 100% what I did. I was worried I would lose too much if I warped levels.
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is why i leave all of my guys on level 99 folks :)

(well this and that they'd also get XP if we ever have an expedition again!)
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember back when I was working on building the Duras Sisters and I had Lursa at level 99 waiting for a B'Etor to turn up that I'd accidentally pick her for a mission and level her to 100 without meaning to.
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Is this thread a test to see how long a seemingly innocent conversation can persist until it devolves into off topic rantings?

Ha! I suspect that would happen whether intended or not. :D

As for the "knowing or realizing", I never caught on to that fact. I always used trainers in the early days, even, sadly, purchasing trainers with honor when that became an available option.

I, too, have all trainers maxed for many months now, which is perhaps one reason why I caught this now, and didn't way back then. I can't even remember the last time I actually ran a mission or space battle with crew that weren't already maxed out. Over a year, at least!
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Flay wrote: »

Well, Captain XP is different than individual crew XP, which is what I am talking about. Running a mission gains you crew XP AND Captain XP, where warping only gets you Captain XP of course.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Wow this brings back fun memories of running the mission long distance call over and over again to level up crew. It was the first version of skirmishes I guess.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember leveling crew with expedition event. But, I cannot remember, if that was only useful for low level crew. I think there was not a whole lot of experience gained. However, I was just repetitively sending them in.