Home The Bridge

Happy 4th July

Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
Happy Independence Day for our friends across the pond. I'm looking forward to receiving Abe Lincoln in my mail box. ;)
DB: Do Better

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks man!! I’d rather have a George Washington but hey.
  • [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you from HOT and sunny Florida!

7uckb2ejb1nf.jpeg
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where was the happy Canada Day post on Monday @Jim Steele ..... always a bridesmaid.... lol
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. Yes, it is a great day to celebrate my mom's ancestors beating my dad's ancestors and then becoming friends again. Good stuff.

No chance for a Lincoln, of course, but it would be nice. A Washington would be, too, but they never put him in Star Trek. ...Not that that would stop DB if they really wanted.
    Yateball wrote: »
    Where was the happy Canada Day post on Monday @Jim Steele ..... always a bridesmaid.... lol

Happy Canada day, then. I didn't know it was recent; I would have thought my Canadian cousins would have mentioned it.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Canada day, then. I didn't know it was recent; I would have thought my Canadian cousins would have mentioned it.

Yup July 1st
    Thank you. Yes, it is a great day to celebrate my mom's ancestors beating my dad's ancestors and then becoming friends again. Good stuff.

No chance for a Lincoln, of course, but it would be nice. A Washington would be, too, but they never put him in Star Trek. ...Not that that would stop DB if they really wanted.

He could go in the timelines originals collection

We'll be sure to give a shout-out to France in 10 days.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Happy Independence Day!

Although Canadians enjoy Canada Day just fine, I've found we don't tend to put as much importance on it as Americans do for Independence Day. Lots of fireworks, but no tanks.

Meanwhile, here in Quebec we have our "national" holiday the week before and Canada Day is officially moving day. #priorities
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does Canada Day work, given that Canada is still considered part of the Britain?
  • RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭

We’re too polite to bring it up.
  • FlayFlay ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Big shoutout to the Thebans for their resounding victory in the Second Battle of Mantinea over the Spartans on 4th of July.
    THIS - IS - THEBES !!!
    [GER - SF] Star Fleet - recruiting active captains with event participation. Our Starbase is level 134 and we use the Line App (optional) for spam, bragging, jokes, motivation and sharing tactics. German language.
    Flay wrote: »
    Big shoutout to the Thebans for their resounding victory in the Second Battle of Mantinea over the Spartans on 4th of July.
    THIS - IS - THEBES !!!

LOVE Ancient Greek history. Read The History of the Peloponnesian War at least a dozen times. One of my top three favorite books

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0xlf4u1zyke.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
    ByloBand wrote: »
    How does Canada Day work, given that Canada is still considered part of the Britain?

Canada became a country in 1867, although we didn't get our own constitution (and thus, true independence) until 1982. Now, we share the same head of state as the UK (and all of the other Commonwealth countries), but are completely independent. Technically the Queen is the Queen of Canada AND the Queen of the UK. Two different positions held by the same person.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh Bylo, I know you were asking a serious question, but this infuriated me haha
    We are not considered part of Britain! Grrrr
    More like happy free from tyranny day
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

What goes around, comes around.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »

I know you mean well, so let me pass this on...

9nw8maeom7wc.jpg

😋

It’s only treason if you lose. :wink:

9nw8maeom7wc.jpg

😋

It’s only treason if you lose. :wink:

Excellent point

robownage wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

What goes around, comes around.

It will happen, but at the time my statement stands
  • [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭

9nw8maeom7wc.jpg

😋

We just prefer coffee, hence dumping all that horse shine tea in the harbor.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    DISCLOSURE: While I was born in the U.S.A., specifically in the birthplace of COPS, my mom is Canadian so I'm about as Canadian as a non-Canadian can be (all I need to do to acquire Canadian citizenship is fill out a form, show my mom's birth certificate, and pay a fee). I've also been to Canada MANY times and have many Canadian friends.

But I always enjoy the mild ribbing of calling Canadians British citizens, because it is fun; just understand that I'm also making fun of myself, so hopefully there are no hard feelings :)

It does get tricky though because apparently prior to the early 1960s there were no Canadians, and my mom was born in Vancouver, BC in the 1950s to two Danish citizens, so the whole thing is quite complicated!
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    DISCLOSURE: While I was born in the U.S.A., specifically in the birthplace of COPS, my mom is Canadian so I'm about as Canadian as a non-Canadian can be (all I need to do to acquire Canadian citizenship is fill out a form, show my mom's birth certificate, and pay a fee). I've also been to Canada MANY times and have many Canadian friends.

But I always enjoy the mild ribbing of calling Canadians British citizens, because it is fun; just understand that I'm also making fun of myself, so hopefully there are no hard feelings :)

It does get tricky though because apparently prior to the early 1960s there were no Canadians, and my mom was born in Vancouver, BC in the 1950s to two Danish citizens, so the whole thing is quite complicated!

Indeed, Canada and the USA are both very young countries compared to a vast many in the world. The Bering Strait was a very long voyage taken by few, so it took some more technological development in travel for more humans to migrate here.