Home Ready Room
Options

Happy Bastille Day

DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
I realize this is late for all our French brothers and sisters out there, but it is still the 14th here in Arizona.

Happy Bastille day.

I put on La Marseillaise for my kids. It really is a great marshal song. If you ever search for it, get the Mireille Matheau version. She has a lovely voice. I understand the French, but had to put on a version with English translation for my kids. Then my oldest had to put on Les Miserables.

Comments

• Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Le jour de gloire est arrivé!

Also my grandmother's birthday! She was born July 14, 1916, would have been 103 today!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What exactly is being celebrated?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never mind, I looked it up. Happy? What an awful thing to celebrate. An event that led to one of the worst periods in civilized history.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Never mind, I looked it up. Happy? What an awful thing to celebrate. An event that led to one of the worst periods in civilized history.

Some people used it for ill, but for many it was the end of a bad era, too. Remember that we look at it through a different lens. Ultimately it doesn't matter since the French celebrate it as their independence day, and I can respect that and their culture. If you ever have the chance to be on Paris on Bastille day, you are in for a treat. I had that experience when I was sixteen more years ago than I care to think. Fireworks, a lit-up Effiel Tower, and 2 million happy, patriotic French people all crowded into a small area. Good times.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The American Revolution started a wave of revolts. The French, the Greeks. I understand it was necessary and I support the idea but that sure started an ugly period in France. At least that ugly period was short lived