Home The Bridge

Tuesday: New Event Idea Poll

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
If you could get DB to work on one new type of event, what would it be? And how would you like it to work? Would it be all 4 days, part of a hybrid, or possibly both?
Farewell 🖖

Tuesday: New Event Idea Poll 39 votes

Voyage style event
51%
Warrior WilloAviTrekHaBlack[CFOH] Earl Grey(10F)GeekgirlBanjo1012•§ë• Captain TatemDavideBookstytlalDirk GundersonÅnubisUluruAce_RimmerPrime LorcaAdiFox Van VoxEnderW BriShellandflameGhazi 20 votes
Gauntlet style event
2%
Vreenak9 1 vote
Starbase defense event
12%
(CSF) Jesus Is Lord [••••]PinkyfirstrobownageProontJoeSage 2 5 votes
PvP event
2%
Agge 1 vote
Other - please describe
7%
ChaoticDNABylo BandMiT Sanoa 3 votes
None - please fix bugs first
23%
Zombie Squirrel Jim Raynor~peregrine~Glenn Fiddich[Deleted User]Gib - Admiral Marinersguest_706033722634240[DSEF] Cpt.RampoVesmer 9 votes

Comments

• Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Other - please describe
    I hope to unveil my new event type next week :) It's a doozy!

-EDIT-

Thank you for your Tuesday contributions, the forum is a better place because of your efforts :)
  • VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Starbase defence looks the most promising.

Voyage style? But how, everyone would just refresh voyages for dilithium, do we need (another) pay to win event style?

Gauntlet? Would be ok, but not with the current implementation of RNG

PvP? They should provide PvP into this game first, arena is not real PvP, besides that AI really dumb

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voyage style event
    Vesmer wrote: »

Voyage style? But how, everyone would just refresh voyages for dilithium, do we need (another) pay to win event style?

PvP? They should provide PvP into this game first, arena is not real PvP, besides that AI really dumb

First, the spirit of the thread is to ask you how you would like it to work to make it appealing to you. How would design a starbase defense event to balance f2p and p2w? Could you do that in a way that would be fun?

Second, I have seen these ideas on the forum before. I've proposed ways to make a couple of them work, but I would like to get other thoughts. Feel free to jump in and be creative. :)
    Farewell 🖖
    Other - please describe

Actually, you'd be surprised, we've actually come up with what looks to me to be a really promising framework for a Voyage event structure, all in the span of like 30 minutes.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starbase defense event
    ByloBand wrote: »

Actually, you'd be surprised, we've actually come up with what looks to me to be a really promising framework for a Voyage event structure, all in the span of like 30 minutes.

I'd be curious to hear it actually.
    Other - please describe
    robownage wrote: »

I will save the Honor of unveiling the Elim Band Voyage Event idea for @Elim Lorca [10F] as I definitely was the co-pilot :) Or at the very least, fewer of the ideas I threw at the wall stuck :p
    Voyage style event

I will save the Honor of unveiling the Elim Band Voyage Event idea for @Elim Lorca [10F] as I definitely was the co-pilot :) Or at the very least, fewer of the ideas I threw at the wall stuck :p

I would like to see what gets added here. We can mesh ideas here with our own and save them for next Tuesday. :)
    Farewell 🖖
    Other - please describe

I would like to see what gets added here. We can mesh ideas here with our own and save them for next Tuesday. :)

I have next Tuesday reserved ;)
  • VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭

First, the spirit of the thread is to ask you how you would like it to work to make it appealing to you. How would design a starbase defense event to balance f2p and p2w? Could you do that in a way that would be fun?

Second, I have seen these ideas on the forum before. I've proposed ways to make a couple of them work, but I would like to get other thoughts. Feel free to jump in and be creative. :)

First idea for starbase defence - calculate average value of all fleet members for each stat, so there would be average SCI, ENG and so on. Then these values are compared for attacking and defending fleet, who have more values that are bigger than opponent’s wins. I.e. fleet should have at least 4 average stats bigger than opponent. The more powerful the opponent - the more points are earned. It’s basic idea, some alterations may be added. For instance, bonus may be given to defending fleet.

Another idea is to build attacking/defending structures during an event, the way the rooms are built but only during an event. But this idea is more prone to p2w

Voyage style event

First idea for starbase defence - calculate average value of all fleet members for each stat, so there would be average SCI, ENG and so on. Then these values are compared for attacking and defending fleet, who have more values that are bigger than opponent’s wins. I.e. fleet should have at least 4 average stats bigger than opponent. The more powerful the opponent - the more points are earned. It’s basic idea, some alterations may be added. For instance, bonus may be given to defending fleet.

Another idea is to build attacking/defending structures during an event, the way the rooms are built but only during an event. But this idea is more prone to p2w

Are you talking about getting the whole fleet of 50 captains involved? That would sure be new. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voyage style event
    For the voyage type event I would say you can’t refresh but you can early recall. I would think somehow it would also have to have shortened time lengths. Perhaps two hour blitz voyages. If it’s a 24 hour event (Tuesday’s which I would LOVE) two ten hour voyages would be boring. What would be great is to have each skill pairing come up over the course of the event. This way we would finally have an event where the strength of crew wins the day.
    Voyage style event
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    For the voyage type event I would say you can’t refresh but you can early recall. I would think somehow it would also have to have shortened time lengths. Perhaps two hour blitz voyages. If it’s a 24 hour event (Tuesday’s which I would LOVE) two ten hour voyages would be boring. What would be great is to have each skill pairing come up over the course of the event. This way we would finally have an event where the strength of crew wins the day.

How would you feel if there was a mechanic that made you choose between some pretty good rewards and winning the event?

Also, I like the skill rotation idea. I'll try to work that into my idea.
    Farewell 🖖
  • VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭

Are you talking about getting the whole fleet of 50 captains involved? That would sure be new. :)

Yes, exactly. All current types are solo. There’s even no reward for fleet ranking now, only for squadrons. I find it to be strange at least.
  • GhaziGhazi ✭✭✭
    Voyage style event

Seems to me like if they did something like intel for skirmishes and no revives for an event then balanced the return time/length of voyage to better fit a lot into a 4 day period it would be a very nice event.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voyage style event
    I like all of the first three ideas but a voyage event is the one I like the most. The one pitfall I can see with starbase defense is if the number of people in the fleet (or their activity levels or ship/crew collections) has any kind of effect on any individual’s ability to amass VP - not every fleet is filled to the brim with highly active players boasting large numbers of immortal legendary crew.
    Voyage style event
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

How would you feel if there was a mechanic that made you choose between some pretty good rewards and winning the event?

Also, I like the skill rotation idea. I'll try to work that into my idea.

I think that would be something everyone could agree is awesome!

• MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other - please describe
    What we totally lack is anything incorporating any sort of skill like dexterity or logical thinking - just any sort of challenge for the player himself. Something like e.g. minesweeper, galaxy shooter, tents&trees, solitaire, match3 or whatever DB can think of. Maybe a collection of minigames, and your score is factored by matching crew like in a Galaxy? Imho everything would be better than mindless tap tap tap each weekend.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’ t need and want any new events, at least not as long as the hole game is still as buggy and unstable as it is.

I’m too much scared, a new kind of event will screw up other parts of the game. But thats just me. ;)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • PinkyfirstPinkyfirst ✭✭✭
    Starbase defense event
    I like the idea of a voyage event type and very interested in the discussion of the idea for it.
    But for now I voted for a starbase defence event. There is nothing for entire fleets in the game, asides from starbase level--which doesn't have anything to do with f2p or any level of spending. Squadron inclusion in events thus far is a joke.
    Curious as to how it would work. I imagine it as ever player contributes crew to stations for defences, and also contributes a staffed ship for attack. Perhaps another element akin to expedition where the completion of missions adds defense, makes repairs/heals crew, or attacks a la boarding party? Some way to utilize player's crews in every way.
  • ChaoticDNAChaoticDNA ✭✭✭
    Other - please describe
    Let's call it Survival.

Pick a skill (IE: SCI) and see how many nodes of increasing difficulty you can clear, with each attempt fatiguing the crew and rewarding VP.

You can either go up in difficulty to get more VP, or stay at the current difficulty to use up more crew.

Since it is based on base plus proficiency, do you risk going up knowing you might fail?

Failure resets your progress, and something is gating entry (tickets, chrons, intel, etc.).
    Captain Bubble Bobble
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I understand a couple of the ideas proposed, but I like the idea of adding either a new event type and/or a new gameplay feature (the way gauntlet and voyages got added to the game).
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
    Voyage style event
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    Let's call it Survival.

Pick a skill (IE: SCI) and see how many nodes of increasing difficulty you can clear, with each attempt fatiguing the crew and rewarding VP.

You can either go up in difficulty to get more VP, or stay at the current difficulty to use up more crew.

Since it is based on base plus proficiency, do you risk going up knowing you might fail?

Failure resets your progress, and something is gating entry (tickets, chrons, intel, etc.).

Woah!!! That’s a fantastic idea!!!

Voyage style event
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    Let's call it Survival.

Survival games were pretty popular last I checked. Great idea to cash in on the concept. Throw in stuff about bonus VP and less fatigue for Event/Bonus crew and you've got a solid idea. It would probably need a mechanic or two for DB to monetize like dilithium refresh the way gauntlet works or something.
    Farewell 🖖