Home The Bridge
Options

Question about event pack

So I bought a bunch of the Tuesday packs, since the new character is a 4* and a +5 Fusion character. I only wanted 2 Seven's, but could only manage to get one out of more packs than I want to admit to. My question is, on my last pack, I got Keras, but as a Behold option. Not that I wanted Keras, or the 4 other copies I got from the packs of him, but shouldn't Tuesday pack characters come a direct to pack and not beholds?

Comments

• Options
    PavelHPavelH ✭✭✭
    They usually do. But why did you choose him in the behold if you already got at least 4 copies of him. Also got a pic?
  • Options
    I didn't pick him, I took one of the other 4 stars that I already have frozen..sadly.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been stated that having the event crew in the behold counts. Personally I would count it as a bonus in the case of Keras. Worst case scenario is that you airlock someone else for the same 200 honor.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's rare, but it happens. If no pack crew is dropped, one will be a behold option.

It would be nice if it happened more often. Might encourage more pulls when all SR in the pack are FF.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I bought a bunch of the Tuesday packs, since the new character is a 4* and a +5 Fusion character. I only wanted 2 Seven's, but could only manage to get one out of more packs than I want to admit to. My question is, on my last pack, I got Keras, but as a Behold option. Not that I wanted Keras, or the 4 other copies I got from the packs of him, but shouldn't Tuesday pack characters come a direct to pack and not beholds?

Behold counts. That has come up before. {It's actually a chance to be a better way to get a 4* from the Pack, since one of the other choices might need Stars, if the Pack Crew is FF.}
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres one from the recent Purple-themed pack:
    kq1qbek3xxwj.jpg
    Happily added a star to Dukat over the pack crew
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres one from the recent Purple-themed pack:
    kq1qbek3xxwj.jpg
    Happily added a star to Dukat over the pack crew

Great luck. I love my Dukat. His traits give bonus frequently in voyages especially his Bajoran/Cardassian traits.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    As long as the character is presented to you, even in a behold, DB still counts that as honoring the advertisement. When I first starting playing I asked CS, and that was the response I received.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    In situations like this I wish we could spend extra dilithium to NOT have the packs drop the SRs we already have immortalized. Even if it costs 150 extra dilithium per crew, it is still better than opening a half dozen copies of the cards we already have.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    But then people would quickly FF the SR in the pack and then they would guarantee drop a 5*. You would have to be paying a lot more than an extra 150 DIL to have a guaranteed 5* drop.

Even for just the 4*, think about how many people chase the final * for the new crew in faction events. You would need to at least double the cost of the pack to make it a guaranteed drop of the 4* you need.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really, the removal of specific 4* crew from consideration would have no impact on the 5*. In this case I am wishing there was an option to pay 950 instead of 650 to guarantee that IF the pack were to drop a 4* that it would be Indignant Seven, not a Doctor or Keras. It's pretty simple to understand, and nothing in this arena would change the rates of a 5* dropping.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Not really, the removal of specific 4* crew from consideration would have no impact on the 5*. In this case I am wishing there was an option to pay 950 instead of 650 to guarantee that IF the pack were to drop a 4* that it would be Indignant Seven, not a Doctor or Keras. It's pretty simple to understand, and nothing in this arena would change the rates of a 5* dropping.

I love ya Bylo but they’re right. If I could guarantee 4 drops of Indignant Seven for an extra 300 dil a pop, of course I would. And I would only need to buy four packs. As it stands, I bought 6 packs and only got one copy of Seven. I almost bought even more, but I stopped myself. DB’s method guarantees them the most profit, and they would have no incentive to change it.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I love ya Bylo but they’re right. If I could guarantee 4 drops of Indignant Seven for an extra 300 dil a pop, of course I would. And I would only need to buy four packs. As it stands, I bought 6 packs and only got one copy of Seven. I almost bought even more, but I stopped myself. DB’s method guarantees them the most profit, and they would have no incentive to change it.

Plus, if all of the 4*s are immortalized and the option to guarantee you avoid pulling an immortal 4* crew is still there, then it would indeed be guaranteed 5*s for only 950 dil.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭

Plus, if all of the 4*s are immortalized and the option to guarantee you avoid pulling an immortal 4* crew is still there, then it would indeed be guaranteed 5*s for only 950 dil.

Solution to that is if you got all four stars immortalized. It just drops one at random if the RNG determines you get a four star.

The problem of course is you can guarantee every pack drops the five star or the one four star you need by not immortalizing that four star. That would be very useful on these merging crew.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    WaldoMag wrote: »

Solution to that is if you got all four stars immortalized. It just drops one at random if the RNG determines you get a four star.

The problem of course is you can guarantee every pack drops the five star or the one four star you need by not immortalizing that four star. That would be very useful on these merging crew.

That is what I meant, really. Packs offer three 4* and at most you could pay to remove two of them, leaving one. This does nothing at all to change the expected 10% drop rate of one of the 5* crew. And even if it were made possible to pay to remove all three 4* from consideration, if you hit the 90% chance for a SR to drop the game would just give you any random 4* crew. I really don't see this as being too difficult.

And with regard to chasing a specific 4* like the recent addition of Indignant Seven, maybe my prices were set too low, but what really is wrong with paying extra to ensure better results? Who loses here exactly?

I bought, I lost track after a while but definitely more than 15 packs to get my four copies of Seven, so let's just go with 15. 15 x 650 is 9,750 dilithium (actually, seeing that number I now realize I opened more than 20 packs!). I obviously could have spent as little as 2,600 dilithium to get my four copies if I was really lucky, but if you told me I could pay around 1,000 dilithium for that pack to have my 90% drop rate of a 4* NOT be Keras or The Doctor, I would have JUMPED at that, as I suspect most people would have. Heck, set that price at 1,200 per pack and I bet people would still do it. At 1,000 I'm still dropping over 4,000 dilithium guaranteed (and seeing this number maybe the 1,200 price is better) to get the thing I want plus the random chance of one of the 5* crew dropping, but doing that would probably get a LOT more people to actually buy these packs because they'd know they could spend more to guarantee results. I'm trying to understand how that would be bad for anyone, maybe I'm not understanding something.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course you would jump at it, that's the issue. You're setting your prices too low and DB would lose a boatload of money.

Let's take an event pack because there are fewer crew and the math is easier. The odds are 10% 5*, 45% 4* A, 45% 4* B.

You want to turn that into 10% 5* and 90% 4* A.

You've just doubled the odds of 4* A, are you willing to double the price and pay 1300 DIL for it?

Or lets go even more extreme. The current odds of 4* A are 45%, so that's 55% chance of not getting 4* A. The odds of not getting 4* A after 5 packs is 5%. So to have a 95% chance of getting 4* A you have to purchase 5 packs at a total DIL cost of 3250. You want to turn that into a guaranteed purchase on the first try. Are you willing to pay 3250 to DB for that guarantee?

The economics of a CCG are that people continue to spend money to get the harder and harder to get remaining cards. The more cards they get, the higher the odds and the more money they have to spend for the remaining cards. You are breaking DB's business model, giving players an awesome deal, and are acting surprised why DB wouldn't want to do it.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Of course you would jump at it, that's the issue. You're setting your prices too low and DB would lose a boatload of money.

Let's take an event pack because there are fewer crew and the math is easier. The odds are 10% 5*, 45% 4* A, 45% 4* B.

You want to turn that into 10% 5* and 90% 4* A.

You've just doubled the odds of 4* A, are you willing to double the price and pay 1300 DIL for it?

Or lets go even more extreme. The current odds of 4* A are 45%, so that's 55% chance of not getting 4* A. The odds of not getting 4* A after 5 packs is 5%. So to have a 95% chance of getting 4* A you have to purchase 5 packs at a total DIL cost of 3250. You want to turn that into a guaranteed purchase on the first try. Are you willing to pay 3250 to DB for that guarantee?

The economics of a CCG are that people continue to spend money to get the harder and harder to get remaining cards. The more cards they get, the higher the odds and the more money they have to spend for the remaining cards. You are breaking DB's business model, giving players an awesome deal, and are acting surprised why DB wouldn't want to do it.

Yup. In order for DB to not lose money, the pack price would have to be probably five times what it is now - would you really pay 3250 dil for a guaranteed 4*? You could pay less than half that for a guaranteed 4* from a faction store instead, and event packs guarantee one of two particular 4* crew for the usual price of 650...the math doesn’t work out - under this model, the price is either way too high for players to justify the cost (not just in dil but also lost schematics and honor) or too low for DB to even realistically consider changing their sales model.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

That is what I meant, really. Packs offer three 4* and at most you could pay to remove two of them, leaving one. This does nothing at all to change the expected 10% drop rate of one of the 5* crew. And even if it were made possible to pay to remove all three 4* from consideration, if you hit the 90% chance for a SR to drop the game would just give you any random 4* crew. I really don't see this as being too difficult.

And with regard to chasing a specific 4* like the recent addition of Indignant Seven, maybe my prices were set too low, but what really is wrong with paying extra to ensure better results? Who loses here exactly?

I bought, I lost track after a while but definitely more than 15 packs to get my four copies of Seven, so let's just go with 15. 15 x 650 is 9,750 dilithium (actually, seeing that number I now realize I opened more than 20 packs!). I obviously could have spent as little as 2,600 dilithium to get my four copies if I was really lucky, but if you told me I could pay around 1,000 dilithium for that pack to have my 90% drop rate of a 4* NOT be Keras or The Doctor, I would have JUMPED at that, as I suspect most people would have. Heck, set that price at 1,200 per pack and I bet people would still do it. At 1,000 I'm still dropping over 4,000 dilithium guaranteed (and seeing this number maybe the 1,200 price is better) to get the thing I want plus the random chance of one of the 5* crew dropping, but doing that would probably get a LOT more people to actually buy these packs because they'd know they could spend more to guarantee results. I'm trying to understand how that would be bad for anyone, maybe I'm not understanding something.

Sorry. I forgot you were talking about paying more for it.
    There really is no problem.
    If someone wants to ensure that when the superrare drops or even the legendary drops it is not one they already immortalized it seems like a fair extra cost. If DB could implement this I think they would.

Edit: The reason I think ByloBand has come up with a fair price, is that a person would stop at a certain point buying packs the way it is now. With ByloBand's suggestion, they would actually go for more copies of Seven knowing that they would drop. So I do not see in any of these Tuesday packs that it would cost DB. I think they would gain more Dil. from this. We would gain more copies of Seven for that extra dil.

Edit2: @ByloBand it is worded wrong I just realized. Let's say the extra cost will give you a behold with the three choices at that rarity. Of course now, I realize the problem is if there are more than three at that rarity. Maybe, yours is better.

Edit3: The old thought I had of just scrolling the behold for more choices than three. Just include all as choices of the that rarity.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    How often does it occur that there is such a desired 4* in the packs that it is worth to think about this? I personally would rather have them work on bugs than on the implementation of such an updated system as this is not something marketing could implement. This is serious development business.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit: The reason I think ByloBand has come up with a fair price, is that a person would stop at a certain point buying packs the way it is now. With ByloBand's suggestion, they would actually go for more copies of Seven knowing that they would drop. So I do not see in any of these Tuesday packs that it would cost DB. I think they would gain more Dil. from this. We would gain more copies of Seven for that extra dil.

You're now talking price elasticity without knowing what that elasticity is. If you go from 650 DIL for a chance at the crew, to 700 DIL for the guarantee, sure more people will buy the pack at 700. But how many people will buy once at 700 rather than buying multiple packs at 650? Enough extra people to make up for the lost revenue of the extra 650 purchases?

As you increase the price beyond 700 you'll get less people buying that first pack. You'll make a little more money from the people still buying, but you still need to make up for the people who will only buy once. And your target is still the original revenue. The higher you go the more the sticker shock price conflicts with the guaranteed value, and that makes it even more difficult to hit the initial target revenue.

In those Tuesday packs with 3 SR, you'd need to go to 1950 before the odds start evening out. And at 1950 you will have a lot less people making that first purchase.