Home The Bridge
Options

Gauntlet Still Doesn't Work for Me

So this week, I passed 5,000 gauntlet battles and got my first Top 25 finish after playing for about 2.75 years. Here is my issue, I have ZERO Rare Reward legendaries. I know there is a RNG (more like chaotic number generator). But, I can never get ahead of the walls of rare reward legendaries everyone at the top has. Am I the only one that is frustrated? It seems like those that got rare rewards mostly due to RNG get richer and richer and the rest of us putter along. I guess I won't mind if the rare rewards aren't good for anything else (voyages, shuttles, etc.) Thanks for listening to my one real gripe in an otherwise great game!

Comments

• Options
    You can get top 10 without any of them.
  • Options
    I have 9k in less than a year. You won't get any success without putting in as much effort as the people you're competing against.
  • Options
    PavelHPavelH ✭✭✭
    I didn't get my first super rare till 3000-4000 rounds. After that it became much faster to farm them and I get a new one every several weeks or about 1 in 1000 rounds. You just gotta persevere, once you get the first one, and it's not Guinan, and you can get the ball rolling.
  • Options
    VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    You don’t need gauntlet exclusive crew to compete successfully. Well, except probably Locutus, I find him quite essential to have, but I reached top 10 regularly when I didn’t have him. I have Armus and Guinan too but still haven’t bothered to level them up to use, Boothby Replicant, Away Team Number One, Mirror Inquisitor Troi and others work good for me so far.

If you face the wall I’d suggest you to spend merits for refreshing. It can be a lot of merits, like really a lot, but you’d be surprised what refreshing can do for you.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you would like to focus on some decent Gauntlet crew on you next beholds? There are quite some one might oversee if not focussing on the Gauntlet aspect (Enabran Tain for example or Seven of Nine; on the cheap side Nurse Faith Garland and Mirror Phlox -> maybe you need to unfreeze them?).

With 4700+ rounds played since April I already got Locutus and The Caretaker from winning series. The ranks never have granted anything noteworthy to me yet.

So... it is mostly about the proper bonus crew, doing it a lot and being lucky. Fingers crossed for you!
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gauny is just a bonus... The gauny is just a bonus... The gauny is just a bonus... The gauny is just a bonus...

I tend to repeat this mantra to myself a lot. It gets me off the ledge more times than I care to admit...
  • Options
    To get the gauntlet legendaries, besides rng, there are two steps: 1) play as many rounds as possible and 2) open as many loot crates as possible. Personally, I don't usually go for 1st (I can usally get top 3 if try without much trouble). The more crates you open, the better the chances of a legendary drop. It is hard if you don'y have some of the gauntlet mainstays. Is it possible to do well without them, but significantly harder. Try aiming for placing where you get 5-7 crates. Locutus is randomly available in Borg packs. We all got a free Mambo Picard who has a top skill pair. Prince bashir can be useful and was free as well. Asides from Caretaker, Armus, and Guinan, all the other top gauntlet crew are available through the portal/honor hall (Locutus through certain Borg packs and the achievement). Really a matter of patience and hoping RNGesus smiles upon you in portal pulls.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments and ideas. I still think it is slanted against those who did not get a gauntlet legendary early. But it is what it is!
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments and ideas. I still think it is slanted against those who did not get a gauntlet legendary early. But it is what it is!

FWIW, I did not ever get a Gauntlet legendary in the "early" time (i.e. before all the legendaries were available in the boxes at the same time). All four legendaries I've gotten have come since then. I was equally frustrated, so I totally get where your coming from, but if you want the crew, you have no alternative but to keep trying and hope your number finally gets pulled. I'll be the first to congratulate you when it does.
  • Options
    HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gauntlet characters are great, but you don't need them to get around walls of them. At this very moment I have none gauntlet specific character in fight and I am at position 1 in my gauntlet.
    And I am not some gauntlet savy player, I play gauntlet mostly for merits.
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • Options
    6531 Gauntlet rounds completed
    - 4/5 Caretaker
    - 2/5 Armus
    - 2/5 Bartender Guinan
    - 1/5 Locutus
  • Options
    MRNelsonMRNelson ✭✭✭
    Personally, I have never found Gauntlet to be worth the trouble either. Perhaps this is just sour grapes on my part, and I will be the first to admit that I don't do it enough (even after about the same 2.75 years I think, I don't have Spot just yet). I'm talking perhaps just over 200 rounds played. I play occasionally, just to judge the progress of my crew, and only seem to get the same rewards that I can get with a Voyage, which also gives crew. Every now and then, I manage to get 3 wins in a row and get a reward crate.

All this may change however, since I have just this weekend completed my last Cadet Mission, and moved into the late game. I have reclaimed about 15 crew slots and can focus on my 4* and 5* crew, and perhaps even claim some of my 5* crew sitting in my mail box (I have about 6 in there). At least I won't have to freeze every single crew that I get to level 100 now. I know I have some good Gauntlet crew in the freezer.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNG hits different folks different ways. Perseverance is the only antidote.

I'm at 18.5k rounds on gauntlet and have been playing it since the first day it was introduced to the game. Have won multiple times, including once with others in my fleet of top players (without using dilithium). I still don't have a Locutus -- so, no, even Locutus is not essential. Just this week I got my fifth copy of Guinan and finally immortalized her. My Armus and Caretaker are each 2/5.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    I've played 11,522 rounds, and I have one Guinan and that's it. I feel like the Gauntlet truly hates me :D
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm approaching 17 and a half thousand gauntlet rounds. I prioritize streaks of 3 to wins. I play far more often than the game deserves. I have won once and can get top 20 pretty much every time I really try. I have been doing it for 18 months or so. I have recieved one Caretaker and one Armus. I feel the RNG does not favor me. Frankly, the gauntlet is a major source of frustration if you try for the bonus crew. I like the merits, but get so many insulting trainers that it is more frustrating. It is probably the worst part of the game.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has been enlightening to me, but for reasons other than what the OP was going for. I knew people didn't like gauntlet (and I certainly have my own gripes with it), but I'm surprised at how many long-term players are still working toward the Locutus achievement. I earned his 5th star in Nov 2018 from the 20K rounds and haven't slowed down my gauntlet pace since. To each his/her own - just interesting to see how we each play STT.

FWIW, my 'exclusives' roster:
    Locutus 5/5 (only 2 from reward crates)
    Guinan 4/5
    Caretaker 5/5 + 1/5
    Armus 5/5 + 3/5

I concur that you can be quite competitive w/o these cards - there are some gauntlets when none of them make my roster. But if you want them, then you must play regularly and get lots of 3-streaks. The drop rate is tiny - only way to overcome that is by brute force.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were a lot of comments regarding gauntlet golds coming primarily from streaks, and while that has been true historically, with the increased odds in top 10 boxes I think those should have increased importance.

Granted aiming for the top 10 will also be accompanied by lots of streaks, but since the odds change I’ve noticed a pretty consistent stream of golds from the top 10 boxes. Maybe 1 a month on average for finishing top 10 each gauntlet.
  • Options
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    There were a lot of comments regarding gauntlet golds coming primarily from streaks, and while that has been true historically, with the increased odds in top 10 boxes I think those should have increased importance.

Granted aiming for the top 10 will also be accompanied by lots of streaks, but since the odds change I’ve noticed a pretty consistent stream of golds from the top 10 boxes. Maybe 1 a month on average for finishing top 10 each gauntlet.

I've always been a "volume over quality" gauntleteer, aiming for 11-15th place. This sounds compelling enough for me to try it your way for a while.
  • Options
    Cam TaliisCam Taliis ✭✭✭✭
    I have

1/5 Caretaker
    3/5 Armus
    1/5 Guinan
    1/5 Locutus

All but the Guinan came from streak boxes. Actually over the past month or so I’ve gotten an Armus, Guinan and Locutus.

But the first gauntlet I ever won was before I had any of these. As mentioned before, there are also good SR cards to use in gauntlet.
    For example:

- Mirror Phlox
    - Doc Crusher
    - Ellen Landry
    - Antaak

All of these can get up to 45-65% crit chance if the traits align (and they do regularly).
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    My goal is to make it to around April Fool’s Day 2020 without breaking my phone:

er7aot5atswt.jpeg

I might even pull some 4* Froggy Parises by then, to go with my 6 copies of Coffee Janeway. Hope springs eternal, but patience is a virtue I struggle with. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options

I wish I had your DBNG. :D

I've observed a notable increase in the number of end reward crates dropping golds. Most of the drops I've had since the change have been from end reward crates.

That said, I haven't noticed any difference from end reward crates in regards to ranking. The first dropped from a 30+ finish. I received two golds in seven crates from finishing 12th once - best clump of good rng I've seen in gauntlet. I've also gone months without a drop from streak or end crates, regardless of "effort level" and final ranking.

Streaks may be of some slightly increased importance for Top 3-4 ranking depending on the competition, but rarely Top 10. As with most facets of the game, the key is good cards, hitting a good rng streak, and playing more often than others. Large trophy payouts and streaks are often at odds with one another in the higher rankings unless one runs at a negative merit margin (dilithium spending helps a lot too, obviously).

To the OP: I have played gauntlet since it was released to the public. When Locutus was first available I regularly played for streaks of 30+. Didn't get Locutus until around 19800 rounds. I did fine without him, but I can't deny he's elevated my lineup since. I had better luck with Guinan when I stopped caring optimized for 3, 6, and 9 streaks, but those payouts seem to have dropped off with the rewards change.

Many people cite how many raw rounds they've played, but this statistic is somewhat meaningless outside of the 20k achievement. What matters is how many streak and end reward crates you open. Expect to spend more merits chasing streaks, with higher streaks costing exponentially more merits. Hence this is why it's best to optimize for merits initially...if you have a lot, it's easier to justify blowing them on match selection re-rolls.

Essentially gauntlet is a lot like the lottery - you have to play to win, but don't expect to win.
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always been a "volume over quality" gauntleteer, aiming for 11-15th place. This sounds compelling enough for me to try it your way for a while.

A couple months ago I got a Locutus from a first place win, then 48 hours later got two Locutuses from another first! Would have been absurdly insane before the drop rate increase, but now it's merely brilliant. :yum:

Oh, for people who find Gauntlet stressful, try covering your eyes during the six pewpewpews. I've found it far more relaxing that way.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    Oh, for people who find Gauntlet stressful, try covering your eyes during the six pewpewpews. I've found it far more relaxing that way.
    I play with sound off but probably your are right.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    FWIW my luck on gauntlet drops used to be terrible.
    Took about 9500 rounds for my first legendary to drop (Guinan), then another 9000 after that before I got my first Caretaker.
    But after that it just took off... 2nd Caretaker within a week of the 1st, and got Armus quite quickly after he was introduced.

Pre-update to include all the legendaries in the rewards I got more drops on "streaks" of 3 than winning gauntlets, but recently the opposite has been true.
    10 Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes my sound gets turned on while I'm on Bluetooth, and playing Gauntlet makes me immediately turn it off - the pewpewpew is excessively stressful.

My DBNG has been pretty generous since the change in odds. I started playing during Guinan's time but never managed her, then got 2 Caretakers during his reign.

Since the change? I'm at:

1/5 Locutus (for completing 20,000 rounds - RNJesus has not blessed me yet)
    3/5 Guinan
    4/5 Caretaker
    5/5 Armus ... X2 (that's right, 10 total Armuses)

Most of my wins come from 3 and 6 steaks (I rarely aim for 9...tends to be more frustrating and merit heavy than it's worth), with the occasional box at the finish line. I go for top 10 when life affords me the luxury of time, but tend to finish between 15 and 30.
  • Options
    Perseverance definitely pays off eventually... overall I've done great despite the early frustrations:

Locutus - 5/5 + 2/5 (includes 2 citations, 2 from borg packs, 1 from 20k rounds)
    Caretaker - 5/5 + 2/5 (includes 1 citation)
    Guinan - 5/5 + 2/5 (includes 3 citations)
    Armus - 5/5 + 5/5 (no citations)

With 20:20 hindsight I regret some of the citations since the change in the rewards table, but all seemed like a good idea at the time for voyages.
    10 Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shockingly, these testimonials about how many you get since the change just make me more frustrated at the gauntlet. Since the change, it seems like the chroniton drops are slightly increased and the insulting trainers are maybe slightly decreased, but crew drops are non-existent. It feels like the odds of a crew were 1 in a million and are now 1 in 999,999. Thank you, DB, for increasing the odds.
  • Options
    5/5 + 3/5 Armus
    4/5 Caretaker
    1/5 Guinan (recent drop)
    3/5 Locutus (all gauntlet drops)

I'm at 14k gauntlet rounds. I had only 2/5 Caretaker before the Armus crew was released. I've not used any citations on them.

For me, I've found top 10 gauntlets since the change to all crew drops have given me more, but probably 2/3 were from streaks. I spend almost all of my merits chasing streaks, I try to reach 20+ streak in every gauntlet from the start before chasing rank at the end (when choosing a high odds 10 point win is useless, while a 50/50 odds 200 point win is better).

I've ramped up my participation a LOT since the change and it's paid off for me. Frequency of play and chasing streaks works great for me. I've seen others posting pictures of those super rare merit pull legend drops, but so many of them have such terrible crew. EVERY legend you can get in gauntlet is a good crew, so in my opinion it's a far better investment for merits.