Home The Bridge
Options

What is your favorite event type?

MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
With Flashbacks coming up I think it would be interesting to see what the majority on the forum likes the most. Maybe DB might take it into account...

Sorry if there was a voting before (likely there was one) but it must have been quite some time ago.

As Expeditions seem to be dead I put them in the end of the poll. If an Expedition Hybrid is your favorite you might want to point out which one.
Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.

What is your favorite event type? 151 votes

Galaxy
7%
V.Kaitee[SSR]Trollhammeren(10F)GeekgirlBanjo1012sexy_ladyGib - Admiral MarinersMirror CartmanSynthetic CommanderSalamander ParisAvatrunei 11 votes
Faction
13%
Zombie Squirrel PaJhamelGrumpferKTz[TLA] ChancellorbarrydancerLeshyPrincess TristaSvenLundgrenJean-Luc Kenobi[S47] ELiLcmdrworf•§ë• Captain TatemEmperor Borg Drone (SC)Múspell[BAD]ProontCam Taliis]§[ JonathanElenaeril 21 votes
Skirmish
28%
RocpileRaraRacingAggePaladin 27Captain MurphyMirrorMartigan[Deleted User]Captain ZloggCranky (SC) PenguinJim[DC] Picard Loves RedsSelene 7{DD} SmellyIshmael MarxRiria[ISA] Big McLargeHugeMuffanAce_RimmerMoDolph{R•PHX}Captain Stupid 43 votes
Hybrid Faction/Galaxy
15%
JeanLucKirkAviTrekCaptain DurfCloneJim RaynorPhotonKim(HGH)ApolloTP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)Capt. Pete OwenmejoyhDarmok campfireChaoticDNADavideBooksRogueAngylVreenakCastell-NeathKurppanaKatlaAldudeALeeRocks 23 votes
Hybrid Faction/Skirmish
11%
[TFA] Celeresdext74gregorytguest_757423444811776ThurthoradWebberoniAcerCSR _WaylanderDirk GundersonLegate Damar Prime LorcaVoniatkoVeterinary PhloxIvlainMiT SanoaGastalvildursine cotcher 17 votes
Hybrid Skirmish/Galaxy
5%
HaBlackGhostStalker*Nomad* {PoF}cptriosI'm a Doctor, Not a...Ren~enigma starlordDazlaaaaaKPan [ISA] 9 votes
Expedition
11%
SSR BarkleyTravis S McClainNad HalCommander SinclairAntasilHungry Dog DDMSoupKitchen RikerOdo MarmarosaJax2UFSixsmith Spocky[SJ] YorksterJohn Luck Pikkard[GSA] bSeRk[RUS] Spok NokLucretiusCarmen IbanezSeven Constanza 18 votes
Hybrids including Expedition
5%
Endgame Blues12345678 of 123456789PinkyfirstJayBeezy~peregrine~robownageMe [AUS]FechoEnderW 9 votes

Comments

• Options
    Galaxy
    Expedition events have one drawback that would be really easy to fix: just pin the event crew to the top of the list. And we'd have a bit more variety

It needs to be warpable tbh...
  • Options
    Skirmish
    Skirmish all the way for me! :)
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hybrid Faction/Skirmish
    Four days of skirmish is profitable, but brutal. So I went with the diluted version. :)

Edit: I think the last poll was when skirmishes were pretty new and did not include skirmish hybrids.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Skirmish
    Skirmish was the first event I finished in yn top 1000. Next time I have a weekend off of work during a skirmish, I'll push for top 500.
  • Options
    Hybrid Faction/Skirmish
    Please please please can we have another expedition DB!

It's been a long time since the last Expedition. While it is not my favorite event type, if the question were "what type of event would you like next?" then my answer would have been hybrid expedition.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Faction/Skirmish
    I like Skirmishes for the resources you can get and Factions because they are nearly effortless for me to finish in the top 3000, and not super time-intensive to rank higher. Jamming these two together is even better.
  • Options
    Galaxy
    Expedition is the only event you do not receive anything but VP for completing, a complete wast of time!!!

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galaxy
    Galaxies are less pay to win than factions and less grind until you die than skirmish and expedition, they are about what you can accrue, the strategies used to accrue, and go until you run out of those resources until you see if you are the last man standing. You can keep spending to win a faction, and an expedition. A skirmish you can keep replenishing as you go, a galaxy, you got what you got when you start with. Yes you can buy up to 6,000 chrons in the portal but that’s not going to make a difference in the leaderboard
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Faction/Galaxy
    I like hybrid faction/galaxy because I like faction events but I also like being able to get the 4/4 super rare and an extra portal pull you get from galaxy events.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Faction/Galaxy
    I like hybrid faction/galaxy because I like faction events but I also like being able to get the 4/4 super rare and an extra portal pull you get from galaxy events.

Ditto
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Faction/Galaxy
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Yes you can buy up to 6,000 chrons in the portal but that’s not going to make a difference in the leaderboard
    This sentence alone is totally discouraging.

F2P players won Galaxy events. So you don´t even need to buy those Chrons. Voyages were a real gamechanger concerning this event type. Prefarm items needed in a Galaxy + save up Chrons massively, boom, there you are with patience and of course the time needed to use all those Chrons...

Still Banjo is right, cause 6000 are a drip in the ocean concerning higher positions...
  • Options
    Skirmish
    As a newer player, skirmish events are the only ones I have a chance at placing in. I really get into it, and feel like I have a fighting shot. Last week I managed top 400. Faction events on the other hand...like right now...I feel screwed from hour two. I even tried to kickstart it this time, and it made no difference. I can only assume the people in the top 1500 have dilithium to burn into oblivion on their shuttles and boosts. Galaxies are the same...I can amass chronitons, but not for galaxies AND skirmishes. Anyways...I really hope they bump up the number of skirmish events to at least once a month.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Faction/Skirmish
    As a newer player, skirmish events are the only ones I have a chance at placing in. I really get into it, and feel like I have a fighting shot. Last week I managed top 400. Faction events on the other hand...like right now...I feel screwed from hour two. I even tried to kickstart it this time, and it made no difference. I can only assume the people in the top 1500 have dilithium to burn into oblivion on their shuttles and boosts. Galaxies are the same...I can amass chronitons, but not for galaxies AND skirmishes. Anyways...I really hope they bump up the number of skirmish events to at least once a month.

I think you are where I was like two or three months ago. I could easily rank in Skirmishes, was always around 3000 in Galaxies and also in Factions though.

But Factions become easier very quickly with a growing freezer-crew. For the last two Factions I had around 20 bonus crews with at least one base above 600 which made it worthwhile to use them while good non-event crew could still go on voyages.
    In the current event I so far only used one token, around 50 shorteners (-1.5 hours) and 8 extenders (+6h, double reward), no Dil. Currently I am ranked 357th. So Factions are not that hard, but if they come 3 times in a row like it is planned now the shorteners might become an issue, but Thursdays provide quite some supply. This specific Faction is no hard battle though due to the uninspiring reward.

But doing something every 1.5 hours is annoying. Skirmishes (like Galaxies) can be distributed over the duration as it pleases you, plus there are these extra-rewards you mentioned. That is what I absolutely love about them.

Faction/Skirmish provide an easygoing headstart (2 days of logging in that frequently are fine, but 4 are just brutal imo) and in the Skirmish part you can catch up if you feel like it. That is why I chose them over pure Skirmishes, but those would have been my second choice if there was one.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Faction/Skirmish

I would guarantee that the top 25 are spending a mountain of dilithium. Through at least the top 100-500, it’s a combination of three things:

-a ton of bonus crew
    -a ton of 3* time reduction boosts (4*/5* boosts help as well)
    -use of shuttle tokens

Any one of those things should at least get you into the top 5000 with a little dedication (my enormous cadre of bonus crew plus skill boosts and overnight doublers only after the kickstart has me sitting at 2709th place). All of these things will come with time and a modest amount of carefully-planned spending. Also, having four shuttles makes all the difference - if you don’t have them yet, I strongly recommend saving dil from Campaigns, monthly cards, and/or immortalization achievements to use on the third and fourth shuttle slots.

Skirmishes have a much lower bar for entry. You can take any level 8+ 5* ship and no event crew, grind to the first threshold 4* reward, and then collect the maximum VP from each battle thereafter. Skirmishes, and Galaxies to a much greater extent, do require some patience when it comes to spending resources on crew instead of hoarding for events. However, they aren’t anywhere as critically crew-intensive as Faction and Expedition events and that makes a difference to anyone who hasn’t had the time to amass a lot of crew.
  • Options
    Hybrid Faction/Skirmish
    There's an interesting distribution of votes. It makes me think that DB is mostly doing things right. Expeditions should be a little more frequent than once or twice a year. But they seem to engage most players monthly.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Faction/Skirmish
    I read that the last Skirmish/Galaxy was last year. Neither have I seen that combination so far nor an Expedition. I would appreciate a little more variation.
  • Options
    JayBeezyJayBeezy ✭✭✭
    Hybrids including Expedition
    I really miss Expedition events. I am interested in Hybrid events because they are more interesting than single-type events. A hybrid Faction/Expedition or Galaxy/Expedition would be best.

DB! Bring back Expedition events!
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hybrid Faction/Galaxy

For me, I place well in faction events because my crew is deep after three years of playing. I always have bonus crew super rares and legendaries, I almost always have the old event super rare. Many faction events I have so many bonus crew I can field 4 shuttles at 90+%, and another 4 or more shuttles at 70% or higher when I am willing to use my shuttle tokens. I say this not to brag but to illustrate what can be gained with work and time. Just keep playing and you will get there. Keep trying to get one 4/4 super rare in as many events as you can and always add the fifth star to event recurring legendaries. This is a long term game about resource management and accruing better crew as you progress. Impressive you are doing so well in skirmish events. Soon hopefully you can breakthrough in other events too. Good luck to you. You can do it.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skirmish
    Skirmish, for the honor. Not even a question for me, despite my best rank finishes being in hybrid faction/galaxy events.

I'd be fine with an occasional hybrid expedition, but realistically it can only be paired with faction. The VP that can be generated in galaxies and skirmishes dwarfs what can be done in an expedition (under the VP rules as they currently exist). If the hoarders and grinders among us (of which I am one) can essentially ignore half the event and still rank in the top 200, that's not a good event structure.

Example: in Auld Lang Syne (Dec 2018), a Skirmish/Expedition featuring High Roller Sisko as the ranked reward, I generated 1.2M VP in the skirmish phase (rank 87 at phase change) and 300K in the expedition phase (final rank 109). All I did in phase 2 was clear the missions and refresh the tickets. I didn't even get optimal VP outcomes on some of the missions, but it just didn't matter at that point.
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Skirmish
    I read that the last Skirmish/Galaxy was last year. Neither have I seen that combination so far nor an Expedition. I would appreciate a little more variation.

Unless I am mistaken, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), there has never been a skirmish/galaxy event. To date, there have been only two hybrid skirmish events. Auld Lang Syne was a skirmish/expedition event, and Integration was a faction/skirmish event.

*EDIT* Correction: Straight On Til Morning was a skirmish/galaxy event. Thanks to @[Mirror] Sanoa for the correction.

*EDIT #2* Correction: To Prove One's Self was a skirmish/faction event. Thanks to @Paladin 27 for that correction.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid Faction/Skirmish

Unless I am mistaken, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), there has never been a skirmish/galaxy event. To date, there have been only two hybrid skirmish events. Auld Lang Syne was a skirmish/expedition event, and Integration was a faction/skirmish event.

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Straight_On_Til_Morning
  • Options
    Skirmish

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Straight_On_Til_Morning

Thank you for the correction! It was listed as a faction/galaxy event in my records. Corrected!
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skirmish
    To Prove One's Self from this January was also was part skirmish. It was skirmish first than faction (reverse order of Integration)
  • Options
    Skirmish
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    To Prove One's Self from this January was also was part skirmish. It was skirmish first than faction (reverse order of Integration)

Thanks for that correction too! I went through every event on the wiki when I created the fleet tracker for the {DD} fleets. Unfortunately, someone made some incorrect edits to past events. Looks like I need to go through all the previous events again and make sure everything is correct. Sigh.