Home The Bridge
Options

Tuesday Post: Voyage Event Idea

2»

Comments

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    A certain amount of predictability is necessary to keep spending players happy. You want to know that purchases will have future value. But freshness added in periodically helps it become less of a grind. That's part of the reason I come to the forum. It's fun to propose ideas and see what others come up with. It is odd though that the most unpredictable part of the game are limited time offers - purchases. Maybe my next idea will be a 24-hour feature that occurs randomly. 🤔

And thank you again @Vesmer for confirming how voyages work.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one has confirmed how Voyages work. Vesmer confirmed how iampicard simulated Voyages for the estimate. But unless you've seen DB's code or compared thousands of estimates to actual results, you can't be sure what DB is doing on the server side.
  • Options
    VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    Just to be exact: voyage estimator tool was written by Chewable C++, afaik iampicard just used its implementation. True, there's warning in the description for this tool: "The mechanism of RNG in hazard check rolls is unknown. Currently I assume that this is based on your crew proficiency." I just can say that for me estimations have been surprisingly very accurate so far, in order of ten minutes.

@Prime LorQa [10F] No problem
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    furyd wrote: »
    However, I would prefer to see something more fresh added to the game.

Amen!

I think one of the games biggest issues though is that it can be a rut - do your dailies, do an event every week... It's all very much boxed in content.

If something new is added then, before long, it'll quickly become old due to the regimented way the game is designed.

Just look at Megas, when first dropped they were an exciting new way of doing things, now they're on a consistent track of month on, month off.

They've been assimilated. Same with Campaigns. There needs to be a change, add a bit of spontaneity. Campaigns were perfect for that, but now they're just an every-four-weeks grind.

There's a grand bit of irony that Q is front-and-centre of the game, when the current nature of the game is the exact same thing he rails against!

You have to be careful with this. The more that is added to the game the more there is to do which quickly turns into the more that you have to do to stay competitive and then the game becomes a job where you need to spend six hours or more a day every day click grinding like star wars galaxy of heroes became and people quit.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    every day click grinding like star wars galaxy of heroes became and people quit.

According to the revenue site sensortower Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes made 4 million profit last month though and STT "only" 300000. So no matter the drawbacks and the quitting people you described it still remains quite popular/profitable...

• Options
    Let me just say, please no extra Tuesday events, thank you for coming to my TED talk.
    Immortalized: 465
    Tour of duty: January 2016 to present.
    Shut up Wesley.
  • Options
    every day click grinding like star wars galaxy of heroes became and people quit.

According to the revenue site sensortower Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes made 4 million profit last month though and STT "only" 300000. So no matter the drawbacks and the quitting people you described it still remains quite popular/profitable...

Hmm, that surprises me. The clicking is why I left it though. That and it was so difficult to lvl up your crew as you need millions in credits that was too difficult to get. Picture every day being an expedition event but longer and you get the gist of star wars galaxy of heroes.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭

Hmm, that surprises me. The clicking is why I left it though. That and it was so difficult to lvl up your crew as you need millions in credits that was too difficult to get. Picture every day being an expedition event but longer and you get the gist of star wars galaxy of heroes.

I tried Star Wars briefly. It was interesting but I didn't want to invest time in both games as both had lots of time commitments. Star Wars I felt had more of an action element which is why it is likely more popular. The campaign battles were actually interesting and you have more stuff to do.

I think STT could use a little more action to it. Perhaps they could animate the cards and do repeating action events such as take a version of Worf and 5 Klingons and help them keep the timeline accurate at some historical point the Xindi are trying to change. Make a whole slew of them to rotate and get different rewards based on difficulty level kind of like cadets with action. You could start it on Tuesdays (to make Banjo happy 🤗) and add more events until the whole week has at least one. Perhaps combining the idea of cadets and expeditions with action sequences but a lot easier and faster than the event expeditions.
  • Options

I tried Star Wars briefly. It was interesting but I didn't want to invest time in both games as both had lots of time commitments. Star Wars I felt had more of an action element which is why it is likely more popular. The campaign battles were actually interesting and you have more stuff to do.

I think STT could use a little more action to it. Perhaps they could animate the cards and do repeating action events such as take a version of Worf and 5 Klingons and help them keep the timeline accurate at some historical point the Xindi are trying to change. Make a whole slew of them to rotate and get different rewards based on difficulty level kind of like cadets with action. You could start it on Tuesdays (to make Banjo happy 🤗) and add more events until the whole week has at least one. Perhaps combining the idea of cadets and expeditions with action sequences but a lot easier and faster than the event expeditions.

You need game downtime. Not every day can be an event or people burn out very quickly. I enjoy having my mon-wed downtimes.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭

You need game downtime. Not every day can be an event or people burn out very quickly. I enjoy having my mon-wed downtimes.

Doesn't need to be complicated, just some simple missions that rotate with hard to get common higher level items with some action sequences that you control. You wouldn't miss out if you didn't do them, just something a little more interesting and interactive.
  • Options
    Great idea, all for it. I'm curious though. Events like galaxy and skirmish are definitely about grinding for hours on end (assuming you have the resources to do so). Faction events are mostly about how many shuttle tickets or dilithium you're willing to burn through, even then it's a bit of a grind making sure you log in every 1.5 hours or more to keep running those shuttles. Where do you think the grind would happen here? Would it even? If the sweet spot is 6-8 hours, what do you think the tactic to win would be?
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    Great idea, all for it. I'm curious though. Events like galaxy and skirmish are definitely about grinding for hours on end (assuming you have the resources to do so). Faction events are mostly about how many shuttle tickets or dilithium you're willing to burn through, even then it's a bit of a grind making sure you log in every 1.5 hours or more to keep running those shuttles. Where do you think the grind would happen here? Would it even? If the sweet spot is 6-8 hours, what do you think the tactic to win would be?

I think there would be a couple factors. Evening out stat combos to get the most out of an 8-hour voyage, maybe more for players with a deep roster. Tracking the voyage to make sure you aren't failing too many checks would be important. RNG on the skill checks could factor in.

But there really isn't a break-away factor. That wasn't something that I planned well. The only things that come to mind are to make it the first part of a hybrid or some kind of pay factor that I was trying to avoid or multiple Temporal Surveys that would test a deep roster plus strategy.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    So my shuttle crew and my voyage crew are unavailable for survey.
    DB should love this, we need to have 12 more crew to count on.
    Minus event specific crew since they usually will not be counted on normally.

What happens when a Survay mission is stuck, like what can happen to Voyages.
  • Options
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    What happens when a Survay mission is stuck, like what can happen to Voyages?

This is the best question. That bug would have to be thoroughly researched and fixed prior to launching this event type. There would be too many pitchforks if they didn't.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the best question. That bug would have to be thoroughly researched and fixed prior to launching this event type. There would be too many pitchforks if they didn't.

Nah. CS will just take 48 hours to respond to a ticket about the stuck voyage. Then fight you for 2 weeks when you ask for the rank reward you would have gotten. Most people will just give up. The few that persist and escalate to Shan will finally be taken care of. But DB won't care that most of the people with issues are screwed over.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭

They said the Iampicard tool unstuck voyages, so the answer is out there.