Options

Evolution/Power creep

2»

Comments

• Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaitee wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »
    It would not be "a little bit of coding on DB's part", it would be A LOT of coding. The fundamental base crew definition is standard across the game. Level 1-100, 40 items, X/Y instances. They would have to add an extra flag for "super boost" or whatever.

Not necessarily - if the game handled it like a fusion, like how you merge Janeway and Paris to make Catfish, only in this case you're merging Picard and Skull to make Skullcrusher Picard. So Skullcrusher Picard is a different crew to normal Ent-E Picard - the game doesn't have to do anything special to handle his stats - he just has the same art and item builds, so DB doesn't have to pay for new art. The only really new thing needed would be adding the little 'boosted' medallion or whatever to the corner of his icon so you can visually tell him apart.

I would have dubbed him "Spinal Snap" Picard personally ;)
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Webberoni wrote: »
    [TFC] dee wrote: »
    Each event gets an old 5* reward at 450,000 points. Start with the first event of the game and go in order of when they were introduced. Add an extra 5* pack in the portal for that event. All first-year 5* get 15% upgrade. Second-year get 10% upgrade. Third-year 5% upgrade.

I like the idea of introducing a 5* crew threshold reward into every event. This current event could feature an old 5* Kirk or any random 5* prisoner, to fit the theme as well.

I am 100% in favor of this idea. Where do I sign?
  • Options
    There already is precedent set by DB that they can and will upgrade stats on a card if they feel it is necessary. Remember the power boost/upgrade Locutus got? This requires absolutely no programming, just a change of existing numbers in the database.

So now we should be raising the banners in "Make it so" for Upgrade Old Cards Please!

Besides, what controversial name would we give a 6* card? "Godlike"?
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    There already is precedent set by DB that they can and will upgrade stats on a card if they feel it is necessary. Remember the power boost/upgrade Locutus got? This requires absolutely no programming, just a change of existing numbers in the database.

So now we should be raising the banners in "Make it so" for Upgrade Old Cards Please!

Besides, what controversial name would we give a 6* card? "Godlike"?

I would like a boost of old legendaries especially the sound quote ones. Take em to 3400 in voyage skills which makes them good but not ground breaking.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Alot of opinions and ideas here, in a conversation that has been discussed many times and still comes up bcuz nothing has been addressed, the general idea, of what was referred to bfore as “decrepit legendaries” in another thread. I encourage anyone interested to search that thread.
    Obviously 3yr plus “veteran” players are feeling the sting of the natural progression of the game. All the time, work, $$$ in from the beginning is useless for the older 5* crew. And simply this is a bit unfair. The veteran players who are still playing have supported the game from the start and should be rewarded in some way for being loyal to STT. However that is implemented?? Like i said lots of ideas. And our QOL updates?? Maybe resolving this much talked about issue should be finally addressed.
    Imo it would be less adversarial to just upgrade the cards. If DB starts ( rewarding or gifting away) older legendaries that vets paid $$ or di for the pitchforks will be out quickly, again.
    Upgrading older cards both 4* and 5* stats to be more in line with current cards should be considered.
    In the begging there was no gauntlet or voyages. So the base and prof stats are designed differently now with those portions of the game in mind.
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have dubbed him "Spinal Snap" Picard personally ;)

Okay that's better, we're doing that :D
  • Options
    Alot of opinions and ideas here, in a conversation that has been discussed many times and still comes up bcuz nothing has been addressed, the general idea, of what was referred to bfore as “decrepit legendaries” in another thread. I encourage anyone interested to search that thread.
    Obviously 3yr plus “veteran” players are feeling the sting of the natural progression of the game. All the time, work, $$$ in from the beginning is useless for the older 5* crew. And simply this is a bit unfair. The veteran players who are still playing have supported the game from the start and should be rewarded in some way for being loyal to STT. However that is implemented?? Like i said lots of ideas. And our QOL updates?? Maybe resolving this much talked about issue should be finally addressed.
    Imo it would be less adversarial to just upgrade the cards. If DB starts ( rewarding or gifting away) older legendaries that vets paid $$ or di for the pitchforks will be out quickly, again.
    Upgrading older cards both 4* and 5* stats to be more in line with current cards should be considered.
    In the begging there was no gauntlet or voyages. So the base and prof stats are designed differently now with those portions of the game in mind.

You’re seriously telling me that significant portions of the fan base would break out pitchforks if they gave away a single copy of say, Dr Chaotica, or Ambassador Troi at 450K VP???

If anything, I would think everyone would be in favor of it. For newer players, it’s an opportunity to win a legendary (which they might spend, say, $10 or so for, which they wouldn’t otherwise.) For older players, it’s an opportunity to FFFE some of these “decrepit” legendaries and put them in the freezer.

But you’re honestly telling me some dude who froze Dr Chaotica a year ago is going to be so butthurt by this that we can’t possibly do it?

That’s ludicrous to me. It’s not really giving new players a competitive advantage over older players. The only reason I could think of for not wanting it to happen would be sheer pettiness. (“Well, I had to pay $100 two years ago, so you should have to pay $100 now!!” Never mind that this makes no sense.)

Call me crazy, but I have a little more optimism and faith in my fellow Trek fan base. Sure, there will be a few crazies that are going to be upset no matter what, but I think most will see the sense in it.

(Note: I’m not saying this is the only idea or the best idea. I’m just rejecting the assertion that we couldn’t/shouldn’t do this because people are going to get mad. Honestly, if anyone got so angry at this that they left the game, they were searching for a reason to leave. It’s quite fair for everyone and I struggle to see how anyone could have a huge problem with it.)

Ya. There there have been pitchforks over free gift of “butter” kirk, complaints on campaign crew and 9.99 offers from ppl who chased a Tuesday pack with lots of di for the legendary that is now offered for the campaign or the 9.99 pop up. So ya. Ppl will complain. It is inevitable.
    Myself, i thought dropping decrepit legendaries in voyages or reducing the threshold on Re-Runs and Flashbacks for the 5* reward was a great idea. I agree with alot of good ideas and would appreciate being able to FF my decrepit legendaries with either or both of those Ideas. I also agree that reworking them to increase there stats to be currently useful Would be a viable option. Imo DB should do all 3 of those ideas.
    There are always lots of good ideas, lots of suggestions, and many ways to compromise an improvement that would benefit vets and new players alike. I am always for equality in compromise and trying to consider a veteran and newer player at the same time so everyone benefits.
    But of course there will always be the nay sayers who get upset when changes are made.
    So i was just simply pointing out that the complaints that have already taken place over free gift, reduced price cards. And i dont much appreciate your tone bcuz i pointed to a frequent forum response.
    And to clarify my position on “unfair” to veteran players i was referring to the butter kirk debacle. The gift was intended for inactive/low active players. Which is the opposite of what they should be doing, rewarding gifts to loyal players. And that caused the pitchforks.
    In the end we should avoid pitchforks and have lots of bacon with butter for everyone.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to clarify my position on “unfair” to veteran players i was referring to the butter kirk debacle. The gift was intended for inactive/low active players. Which is the opposite of what they should be doing, rewarding gifts to loyal players. And that caused the pitchforks.

Imho this was not the cause for the pitchforks but the fact that random users got one or even two copies while most people got none. I was under the impression that some people found it strange to send out freebies to users who had been absent for a while and therefore would probably not pick Kirk anyway (as the mail had an expiration date). This is common practice in other games as well though and no reason to raise pitchforks. Awarding active/loyal players is common practice elsewhere too, but DB does that also --> Sailor Sails Sisko as a recent example.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options

Imho this was not the cause for the pitchforks but the fact that random users got one or even two copies while most people got none. I was under the impression that some people found it strange to send out freebies to users who had been absent for a while and therefore would probably not pick Kirk anyway (as the mail had an expiration date). This is common practice in other games as well though and no reason to raise pitchforks. Awarding active/loyal players is common practice elsewhere too, but DB does that also --> Sailor Sails Sisko as a recent example.

Yep, it was that people who were not inactive were getting him. Did some get two? I know I got two. ;) though I only got one in the mail with everyone and the second came from a behold.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, it was that people who were not inactive were getting him. Did some get two? I know I got two. ;) though I only got one in the mail with everyone and the second came from a behold.

Yes, it was mentioned on the forum and also a fleet colleague got two via mail.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    For a smaller fraction, the Kirk debacle consisted in the fact that he used to be a fairly exclusive card (being pack only and not in the portal back then) and was then offered for hard cash a few weeks before being given out for free. I, for instance, bought that offer and put 200K honor into him. Everyone who had him immortalized before the giveaway had either invested dilithium or cash and probably substantial amounts of honor.

Why am I rehashing this? Because I also happen to have Chaotica immortalized, and I would not even blink if he were offered as an event reward. How about a little differentiation?
  • Options
    Free Butter for Some & Not All?

qf5czp1sw49g.jpeg

The intention was for inactive or less active players as clearly stated. “welcome back” To “help” them with newly released galaxy episode.
    The anger was for both reasons. first, free gift of exclusive pack only card to less active players, then second bcuz the delivery went wild and ended up to some daily players who reported it but many got none.
  • Options
    Accidents happen but I thought DB handled it well and quickly and I love my Kirk.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Doctor 8472Doctor 8472 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I have created a solution that would make sure that even with power creep, all old crew members stay relevant without DB having to constantly revisit them (to change values manually) or any other effort that scales badly:
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/14647/the-stage-of-tech-knowledge-a-solution-for-the-power-creep-db-profit-for-you/

Maybe you want to take a look.

Live long and prosper.
  • Options
    Fi®3wallFi®3wall ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I don't think making the older and less valuable cards better and more valuable is a viable solution because many of us chose not to pick these awful cards in beholds or chose not to cite them even if they had more stars than alternatively valued cards and would be furious if these values were changed. Due to power creep, the cards that are available in the most current and latest portal update should be less powerful than the newer cards not available in the premium pack portal. Increasing the value of the older cards is essentially devaluing the newer cards. I think that increasing access to them is the solution, and not devaluing the newer cards. For example having an older useless card be a 400k reward in an event, just 50k more than the threshold reward.
  • Options
    PhantumPhantum ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I quite like your idea @Kaitee even if the exact mechanics are up for debate.

Instead of an item and new coding for 'superimportalising' crew, I think it could be done within the built-in system for fusing crew together. This has already been done for the existing crew such as evolved Janeway so I do not see why not. It could be made as difficult as you wanted, fuse a FF crew with another FF crew to get a new crew with stats upgraded. This would also make the older crew desirable again in the portal or in events. It would be perfect to include with event repeats or re-runs.

I would even go further to suggest some fusion of main event 4* into 5* instead of adding a new 5* crew that are so obscure google-doesn't-find-it (you can't even remember the spelling for 10 seconds). yeah we like the obscure crew but unless they single-handedly threatened existence then don't need them 5*... So rerun event gives a new Kirk, made from say a couple of 4* kirks that shared a trait...

I could also go with just increasing stats of the old cards a bit, gaining experience with age. For example on the anniversary of the day the crew was issued, they get a small stat or arena upgrade to take them closer (but a bit less than ) to where they ranked initially. Surely they must get some experience from all that time dreaming in cryostasis??

Just read a few more comments and I think if any upgrades were kept to within the relative ranking of crew of the same age. So a card that was useless at the time would not become great now. Just the same level of uselessness when it came out. Some cards are now not even worth taking out for their events...