Home Engineering Room
Options

Play timelines on Android without Google account

edited September 2019 in Engineering Room
I refuse to activate a Google account on my Android phone due to privacy issues. But the last version of Timelines does not want to start if the last version of Google Play Games is not installed, and if I install it it hangs when I do not activate an account in it. Let's stay zen :) ~Shan Why is that?

Comments

• Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I refuse to activate a Google account on my Android phone due to privacy issues. But the last version of Timelines does not want to start if the last version of Google Play Games is not installed, and if I install it it hangs when I do not activate an account in it. Let's stay zen :) ~Shan Why is that?

This might be a new requirement from Google, I will ask for more information.
  • Options
    Probably because my STT profile loaded with my Google Play Games profile for the first time after the update.
  • Options
    I had a possibly not directly related but slightly annoying problem after the update when I logged in with my alt on the 2nd phone and was asked if I wanted to use the google account - when I said yes I was logged out of my main on the other phone.

Well I got the link account achievement which was nice but have to deny the google login everytime I launch the game with my alt (just tapping outside the box)
  • Options
    In the last couple of days, I have noticed that there is a new version of the game released. Although I am not sure of the version number, it again has the current (green) splash screen which was removed previously when there was a problem with the last client release. It had been backed out to the older version with red splash screen and Borg Cube.

Since then (about 23 Sep or 24 Sep) I have been prompted to install Google Play games when starting the game. So far I have hit cancel to this prompt, and STT loads and runs just fine. This is on Android on a Samsung phone. I am wondering if this is actually required for STT.

Could this just be Google pushing out their game platform to people? Is it just another game platform like Steam, or Blizzard's BattleNet, or a genuinely required component?
  • Options
    Same here, Google trying to force me to use Google Play games. Cancel it for now, but if I can't play STT without that i will prefer not to play. Shame, good game, playing for 2.5 years.
  • Options
    Same here on my medion lifetab. Google forces me to create a Google Play account, or shuts the game down. Now what?
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are looking into this.
    So some of you are able to cancel the prompt and the game loads but for some of you this is not an option?
  • Options
    Yes, I have option Cancel and Install, choose cancel ofc every time, but game load for now.
  • Options
    The game stops loading here when I don't login to GP Games. I've reverted back to 7.1.1 for now.
  • Options
    p8pxy54am4jv.jpg
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play through amazon, i dont know if that helps any of you 👍

https://www.amazon.com/Tilting-Point-Star-Trek-Timelines/dp/B077XKW1MS
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    I tried letting it load very long (2 hr) after cancelling Google Play Games (it will not do anything without a Google account) and then the game is stuck on this screen. Sometimes the text in the bottom-right changes:y2l1l6uip22h.png
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    We believe that we identified and fixed what was causing this, a new version of our 7.2.0 client is available with the fix.
  • Options
    PuknutiPuknuti ✭✭✭
    Yes, new version stop GPG abusing. Thanks for quick respond.
  • Options
    Version 7.2.0 870 does not ask for GPG but it does hang on startup the same as the previous version in the "Priming spore drive" screen.