Home The Bridge

What's the point of 5 slot shuttle missions?

Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in The Bridge
It just seems like a horrible waste of time for the devs to write mission content for 5 slot shuttles when I tend to just skip them and do either the 3 or 4 slot missions.

Sure some people may be able to crew 5 slot shuttles with a high enough probability of success but since the requisition tokens its better imho to just send an extra shuttle out with a 9 hr time boost on every 9 hrs, more if you can crew them.

If I have used all my crew in 5 slot shuttles then I cant do this; I am sure the same rules apply to others.

So what is the point of them? Just a total waste of time and effort making the missions in the first place if people just skip them.

Jim
DB: Do Better

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m pretty sure everyone skips the 5 seaters. It just doesn’t make sense when you can go with 3 and 4 seaters. I’ve done many 12-14 shuttle runs at a time and still have never had to go with a 5 seater. Only time I do is when faction phase changes. Then I burn all the missions byvthe time the timer ends
  • What five seat missions?

:D<3
  • Trick young players. Like the scan recharge for dilithium.
  • A type of limiter to prevent people from going completely hogwild on shuttles. It can be bypassed with a big enough crew.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use them all the time - I hate letting merits go to waste, have the crew to get 80%+, and enjoy the ocassional maximum shuttle surge.
  • Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I set up 8 or 16 missions overnight and I will just throw my fourth string crew on them and hope for rewards from a faction that I’m farming that event. If 4 out of 16 fail, I still stay at 4,000, and if they don’t it’s gravy. I never run them during the day, period, simply too volatile and risky.

Tl:Dr, I don’t mind them, but wouldn’t shed a tear if they went away in lieu of more 4 seats with more diverse skill sets
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is done to use up merits.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless I am shooting for rank, I don’t mind five-seaters at all. I usually have a wealth of bonus crew and have no problem staffing them. If I am going to run more than four missions at a time, though, I might try to avoid them or fill them last and use skill boosts instead of speed boosts. It really depends on how my crew matches the shuttle seats.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seat them last and if the crew never fits they go to waste. But within 12 hours they get their turn more often than not. I too hate to waste merits but I am not as religious about it any more as I once was.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use them all the time - I hate letting merits go to waste, have the crew to get 80%+, and enjoy the ocassional maximum shuttle surge.

It's like 10 merits. I'm aware of the value of that currency, but the faction rewards alone are worth wasting a dozen here and there.
  • I've always used them, mainly because I hate seeing the notification that I have an open mission waiting. And most of the time I don't really care much if I fail a mission - I'm normally just doing them to clear the dailies most of the time. I haven't tried to push hard in a faction event - mostly just to get the last copy around 130k - but I can definitely see the logic in skipping them there. Otherwise, not a big deal.

Also, for the record, I *have* spent Dil on scan speed ups, mainly when I've been too busy during the day and didn't clear out the 3 for the dailies.
  • I think it is done to use up merits.

Agreed. If you combine that thought with the recent change in transmission rewards (much lower) during events, imo it is a way to get merits spent. Transmissions were rewarded in threshold of mixed faction/galaxy until recently. The transmissions rewarded during events for successful shuttles has also been reduced substantially.
    Most ppl Skip 5 seaters or fail them. And sure you may get lucky enough to have the correctly skilled bonus crew avail to fill it and get a higher %, but that is an off chance.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I never really cared one way or the other. If it pops up, I run it instead of having missions die on the shuttle vine.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was a newbie, I remember thinking that 5-seaters were a bit easier to staff because I didn't have appropriate "AND" crew, so the percentages seemed better when filling single-skill seats. As I got a stronger crew (and started learning about faction strategies, %success calculations, etc), I shifted to 3 and 4 seaters, and then finally to repeating the same missions every time. I still run the 5 seaters if I send out a large wave of overnight rentals (and during phase 2 situations).

When I don't care about rank, then I just open 4 and send whatever shows up.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is done to use up merits.

Your probably right, but they could just make shuttle missions cost 25% more merits and trash the 5th shuttles. I am sure they wont change them, I just think its a terrible waste of someones time making the missions for 90% of the players just to skip them..
    DB: Do Better
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just send them on a long, long long, long trip, it saves them showing up again (for a while) when I'm using the 3 and 4 seaters as my main harvest of VP.

In fact if it's too hard to remove them, they should just invent/create a tripple bonus boost that lasts circa 3 days. That way we don't waste transmissions and they don't get in the way during the event.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
    Merits don’t seem to be much of an issue anymore. That is speaking for myself of course. Not sure how others are doing with them but I just did a ton of pulls cuz I had 65k. Figured I’d convert them into some honor. Went down to 20k. I’ll build them back up so I can blitz for new gauntlet crew when it comes
  • Speaking for myself merits are not a problem but for newer players it is. They dont have the crew to do well in gauntlet and dont have the crew to reach the large threshold merit reward. Farming merits is substantially harder for newer players.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ren~ wrote: »

It's like 10 merits. I'm aware of the value of that currency, but the faction rewards alone are worth wasting a dozen here and there.

I have no problem spending merits on transmissions; letting the transmissions expire is the sort of waste I want to avoid. Whatever small percentage of success is gained by skipping transmissions isn't going to be enough to bump my rank up far enough for me to care, and the time spent optimizing seats is too long for sneaky shuttle turnovers at work.

Even though merits are more plentiful nowadays, every merit saved means more merit pulls.

• Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking for myself merits are not a problem but for newer players it is. They dont have the crew to do well in gauntlet and dont have the crew to reach the large threshold merit reward. Farming merits is substantially harder for newer players.

Merits are only a problem for the first few weeks of play. After a month they should not be a problem if they are not wasted.
  • I do hate to waste missions ... the 5s take more crew and each crew person contributes less .... I can NOW send them at about 94% ... "all" it took is more than 100 5* Immortals to have the choice of the crew necessary to do it!
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you have a deep bench of bonus crew and none of the and slots in 4 seaters work well, 5 seaters work just fine. especially if there are 2 or more seats that use the same skill. they go great with boosts.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
    if you have a deep bench of bonus crew and none of the and slots in 4 seaters work well, 5 seaters work just fine. especially if there are 2 or more seats that use the same skill. they go great with boosts.

Yes I also found this to be true this past event. More five seaters have OR options which gives you better options. Plus you will find three of the same skill alot which does play well with skill boosts
  • Just to see if you can....and I have and succeeded. 😊
  • What five seat missions?

:D<3

a7rlwl0gk9og.gif