Home Engineering Room

Getting Access to New Event Legendary Character BEFORE it is supposed to drop

Hello,

I don't often go all out in an event, but when there are events that are around TOS or especially Captain Pike, I definitely go all in. My one last goal that I am hoping to achieve with this game (as I have been playing and spent considerable dollars since practically the game's beginning) is to get just one character immortalized first. I thought I had a pretty good shot with the "Haunted Vessels" event that just ended. I even bought the pack for the extra star and the gear to get Pike to gear level 50. As far s my knowledge, I thought this new Pike was unavailable in any packs. I had him fully geared and fully starred in less than 5 minutes. Imagine my surprise when I found the person that has his/her name attached as immortalizing first had the time stamp of 9/29/19. How can that be possible if the event ended today, 9/30/19. This would seem to be quite unfair, and I wanted to report it.

Comments

• TotMomTotMom ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Dabo man. Almost every event reward card is maxed via Dabo before it is rewarded at the end of the event.

:Edit to include:
    This was discussed in our squad chat last week and someone made a chart. It now reads with the information from today....
    r5j3ouo0t3c4.png
    from the last few events. Happens frequently.
  • Thanks for this info, TotMom. I really thought that I had covered all bases this time around to give me the best shot at being the first at a Pike. So in the case of this legendary character, are you saying that it showed up for every player in their Dabo yesterday, or is it still random that some players would not have seen this Pike?

Thanks,
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dabo is different for each player, so each day starting from the event portal goes up, everyone has about a 1/300 (each gold should be equally likely other than gauntlet and honor hall crew) chance of having the new event reward come up on their dabo wheel.

Then it just takes one of the people who hit the 1/300 chance and had the card show up on their wheel either getting lucky on a cheap spin or spending 5k to 15k dil and 200k honor (or 150k and $25) to max the card.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to try to FTM Navaar but I saw she was already immortalized on someone’s bridge crew before the event was over. Took the pressure off of trying but it was a bit disconcerting
  • Banjo,

How you were you able to see that Navaar was already immortalized if you did not have her yet? I.e. did you have to wait until you got her at one star through the event and then saw she was maxed, or were you able to tell another way while the event was going on?

Thanks!
    CaptPetey wrote: »
    Banjo,

How you were you able to see that Navaar was already immortalized if you did not have her yet? I.e. did you have to wait until you got her at one star through the event and then saw she was maxed, or were you able to tell another way while the event was going on?

Thanks!

The person who got her off of dabo was in the top 50 of the event and kind enough to change their avatar and put the 5/5 on their bridge crew. So you could see she was maxed by looking through the even leaderboard and checking their profile.

• Thanks, all. I really do appreciate how helpful this community is. I've spent money, but I certainly would NOT consider myself even close to a whale. Even after playing this game from the start, I'm amazed how there are still nuances that I had not considered nor knew could be possible. Boy, just once I hope to have a FTM, but it appears it will have to be a different Pike. I appreciate the info.
  • Credit to Captain Caveman who made the chart earlier, he went and expanded it.
    o682njwrq1vu.png
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    Dabo is different for each player, so each day starting from the event portal goes up, everyone has about a 1/300 (each gold should be equally likely other than gauntlet and honor hall crew) chance of having the new event reward come up on their dabo wheel.

Then it just takes one of the people who hit the 1/300 chance and had the card show up on their wheel either getting lucky on a cheap spin or spending 5k to 15k dil and 200k honor (or 150k and $25) to max the card.

I feel obligated to add that you can use your dabo ad to refresh the wheel after they add a card that you want. That takes your 1:300 chance to 2:300 each day.

Personally, I would ask on the forum and STT Discord and maybe Universe Chat to see if anyone knows that someone else already got it before you drop dilithium on that endeavor.
    Farewell 🖖
  • So, is it truly a lost cause, or is it still possible for this to be a potential goal?

Thanks!
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is it truly a lost cause, or is it still possible for this to be a potential goal?

Thanks!

It's possible. But there are tricks that you'll need to know.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    Banjo,

Thanks!

The person who got her off of dabo was in the top 50 of the event and kind enough to change their avatar and put the 5/5 on their bridge crew. So you could see she was maxed by looking through the even leaderboard and checking their profile.

Once again you nailed it right on the head

• AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is it truly a lost cause, or is it still possible for this to be a potential goal?

Thanks!

You have to get lucky. I managed to get first on old Janeway the other week. There's no consistent way to tell ahead of time, you just have to check the card quickly before you go all out (or ask a fleetmate to check while you start leveling).
  • eXo | Cadet MatteXo | Cadet Matt ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I was the one to FTM Navaar. I had her show up on Dabo on Friday and took a shot. I had enough dilithium on hand and citations to FF so there wasn’t any additional out-of-pocket expense. I guess I did DYS.

I understand the frustration. I was in a similar situation with Decoy Kira. I spent two weeks grinding items that I thought she might use and was sitting Top 5 before I noticed that she was already FTM’d. For the record, I correctly guessed all of her non-specific character items [pats self on back]. But, was disappointed nonetheless.

I made a point of changing my avatar and putting her on my bridge. I was already going after the Top 5 event achievement and SilverRose was going for 1/1/1, so I stayed high enough on the leaderboard to make sure people took notice before the event end so others could adjust accordingly.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Thanks again, everybody, for the extremely helpful information. Many things I had not considered, and I thought I had a rock solid plan this time (rolls eyes) :).

My goal for doing FTM on a character is not relegated to only 5-star characters. If I find another that strikes a chord, I might take a shot at a lower star one. So somewhat related question, but what about new 3-star event characters?? As far as I know, they do not show up in Dabo. Is there any other place they could be acquired prior to an event ending?

Thanks!
  • CaptPetey wrote: »
    Thanks again, everybody, for the extremely helpful information. Many things I had not considered, and I thought I had a rock solid plan this time (rolls eyes) :).

My goal for doing FTM on a character is not relegated to only 5-star characters. If I find another that strikes a chord, I might take a shot at a lower star one. So somewhat related question, but what about new 3-star event characters?? As far as I know, they do not show up in Dabo. Is there any other place they could be acquired prior to an event ending?

Thanks!

Not that I'm aware of. I don't believe we've had a situation where the new 3* card dropped early on voyages (like new 2* cards have in the past) so they are very much fairer game for everyone. Though I will warn you that you will have to be VERY fast on the draw and have some item crafting luck.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The new 2*s and 3*s are possible for a non-whale. Problem is many will go for it. I immortalized a new one within four minutes of it being availble and still came up short.

The race to be FTM with Acting Captain Pike will be brutal
  • The new 2*s and 3*s are possible for a non-whale. Problem is many will go for it. I immortalized a new one within four minutes of it being availble and still came up short.

The race to be FTM with Acting Captain Pike will be brutal

At least I know how fast I need to work!
    edited October 2019
    So I'll chime in on a few things here.

3* Pike will probably be under 3 minutes. It will take all of the following to get it
    1. Solid Wifi connection, this can drive times by as much as 30 seconds compared to cell data connections
    2. Relatively new phone, anything within the last 2-3 years should be playing as fast possible, but a phone from 4-5 years ago does everything slower
    3. Have some stuff pre-built, like ID Codes, Astrometric Charts, Sci Experiments, Science Lessons, Social Lessons, Diplomatic Protocols..... of all rarity levels up to 4*. For Pike, you'll probably just need 3* and lower items, but 4* are useful for other cards
    4. Know how many trainers are needed at each level and don't hold the button for too long

@CaptPetey. One good way for a ftm is on the new event purples on Wednesdays. I can get these frequently if I buy the $25 pack that comes with 2 copies of the purple and pull 2 more in the first 2-3 event packs I open. If you are willing to get the pack and use 2 purple cites, or pull 650 dil packs until you get 1 copy of the purple and then use 3 cites you'll get a 20 second head start over me at least. You'll still have to be quick, but its not as insane as the 3* Pike competition will be.

The purple yesterday was sort of a comedy of errors for me (had to retrieve a couple copies from the airlock, and more email notifications than I can count kept me from training at a few points) and I still got it with a time of like 4:45. Sometimes I get those really quickly too (3:30-4:00), but being willing to cite instead of pull packs gives you a head start, regardless.
  • Paladin,

This is outstanding info. Especially on the purple characters. I have seen your name on quite a few FTM’s, so you definitely know your stuff 😀. I still would like to take a shot at this Pike since he has been my favorite captain well before DISCO was ever even a glimmer of a concept. Thanks also for the recommendations on how to best farm quickly. I do appreciate it!
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not how to farm quickly, it's how to prefarm. If you have to farm ANYTHING while rushing to level Pike, you've already lost.

And remember, it's not just prefarming, it's prebuilding. You need to guess what items Pike will need and replicate /craft them via other crew now.

When it comes to Monday after the event you want to be in a position to keep clicking equip without needing to click quick build. FTM on Pike will likely be determined by how many items you only need to equip vs build+equip.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    And remember, it's not just prefarming, it's prebuilding. You need to guess what items Pike will need and replicate /craft them via other crew now.

I’ll dive in here and say that this is likely to be the hardest part of the deal. Having the right partially-leveled crew available to build/replicate those items takes a lot of planning and strategy...and probably a decent bit of luck.

I’m pulling for you, CaptPetey! Even if you don’t make it, the attempt alone is something to be proud of.
  • Rooting for you too Petey. I always like seeing a name other than the usual with the FTM. I've seen a few of them claim not to care, yet there are the same names over and over. Set course and engage maximum warp!
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you win the race & “make it so”, @CaptPetey ! 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a chance to FTM Tactical Officer Neelix from dabo but unfortunately it showed up on my alt.
  • Hello all. I continue to be amazed at how awesome this STT community is overall. I appreciate the backing and the support. Alas, I was not quite quick enough, it would appear. Someone else was FTM on Pike. Here’s to hoping there is another neat Pike variation to take a stab at soon.

Stay tuned!
  • The official discord channel they have talked about how it took 2.5 minutes for him to be maxed.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I logged in at 10:03 and he was maxxed, so that fits.

Good effort @CaptPetey! I'm sure it came down milliseconds.