Home The Bridge
Options

Ship Traits

RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
I wasn't even aware that ships HAD traits until Voyages. And now I find out that the HMS Bounty, a Klingon Bird-of-Prey apparently doesn't have the Klingon trait.

What gives?

Comments

• Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, technically it's true, kind of? She's Klingon-made, but at the time she was HMS Bounty she'd been captured, and was no longer operating as a Klingon ship - not sailing under a Klingon flag, so to speak. It could be argued either way depending on how you interpret the trait.
  • Options
    SpaceWereDragonSpaceWereDragon ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Captain Kirk captured the HMS Bounty from Commander Kruge in "Star Trek 3: Search for Spock" when the Enterprise was destroyed. Captain Kirk captained the HMS Bounty in "Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home." Sooo in Star Trek 4, it was a Federation vessel. Technically, it should have both the Federation and Klingon traits.
  • Options
    I can almost see that, but why does the Borg Scout Ship not have the scout trait lol?
  • Options
    It seems all 3* and lower ships only have two traits, while 4* and 5* ships have three. The 3* and lower have traits that list what Faction they fall under and what type of ship they are (Fighter, Explorer, etc.). The 4* and 5* ships have an additional trait that lists what feature they are most known for, whether a physical property of the ship itself (Cloaking Device, Transwarp Drive, etc.) or a description of what they are (Ruthless, War Veteran, etc.). They can only have one of each listed, which is why the HMS Bounty is Federation (because its final fate left it in the hands of the Federation).
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    I wasn't even aware that ships HAD traits until Voyages.

Before voyages, they didn't. They were introduced specifically for voyages.
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaitee wrote: »
    I mean, technically it's true, kind of? She's Klingon-made, but at the time she was HMS Bounty she'd been captured, and was no longer operating as a Klingon ship - not sailing under a Klingon flag, so to speak. It could be argued either way depending on how you interpret the trait.

It's still a Klingon-made ship so it should have the trait. Just like any crew member who temporarily played another species it doesn't mean they aren't their original species. Like Klingon Janeway has both the Human and Klingon traits or Suliban Reed has both Human and Suliban. It makes more sense for that ship to have both Klingon and Federation traits as it was a Klingon-made shuttle but used by the Federation.
  • Options
    While we're talking about the Bounty, why doesn't it have the historical trail? What is considered "historical"?
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    While we're talking about the Bounty, why doesn't it have the historical trail?

Here's your answer:
    It seems all 3* and lower ships only have two traits, while 4* and 5* ships have three.

To misquote the Highlander, there can be only 3.

EDIT, because I can - that's the answer for the whole thread, not just this question. There are a number of traits that could fit each ship, but they limited the number. Which traits were selected for each will be partly for balance/variety reasons.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »

Here's your answer:
    It seems all 3* and lower ships only have two traits, while 4* and 5* ships have three.

EDIT, because I can - that's the answer for the whole thread, not just this question. There are a number of traits that could fit each ship, but they limited the number. Which traits were selected for each will be partly for balance/variety reasons.

And it's the same for crew too. I mean, some already have 5+ traits, but theoretically you could probably apply about 10+ to 2* Picard. Federation, Starfleet, Human, Exoarcheaology, Diplomat, Inspiring, Astrophysicist, Tactician are what he currently has. But he could also have Communicator, Pilot, Explorer and probably a few others that I'm not thinking of right now.

Mind you, there is no stated limit on traits for crew, so the crew that have only 2-3 questionable states still don't make sense.

At least the ships have some sort of logic applied to them.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    It doesn't really matter for non-5* ships as things stand now. The +150 AM bonus applied to a 4* or lower ship does not bring the AM total over 2500 AM that 5* ships have. So you would never use anything but a 5* ship.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    ReneeUhnay wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter for non-5* ships as things stand now. The +150 AM bonus applied to a 4* or lower ship does not bring the AM total over 2500 AM that 5* ships have. So you would never use anything but a 5* ship.

Well, not everyone has 5* ships, so it probably matters to them.
  • Options
    Had Scout ship trait and the Borg Scout Ship did not have the trait. It is literally in the name of the ship. How does it not count?
  • Options

The percentage of players without a 5 star ship is very very tiny. Playing even credit only Dabo, and free pulls will normally get you a 5 star ship in a few weeks.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

The percentage of players without a 5 star ship is very very tiny. Playing even credit only Dabo, and free pulls will normally get you a 5 star ship in a few weeks.

Gotcha, so, there is a segment of the player base that doesn't have a 5* ship. Thank you for agreeing with me.
  • Options

Gotcha, so, there is a segment of the player base that doesn't have a 5* ship. Thank you for agreeing with me.
    Anyone who is actually playing the game long enough to have a crew capable of reaching the 1st dilemma without having to refill AM, has a 5 star ship. So no one would be making a good choice to ever use a non 5 star ship. They need to up the bonus if that want it to matter.
  • Options
    Dralix wrote: »

Here's your answer:

And it's the same for crew too. I mean, some already have 5+ traits, but theoretically you could probably apply about 10+ to 2* Picard. Federation, Starfleet, Human, Exoarcheaology, Diplomat, Inspiring, Astrophysicist, Tactician are what he currently has. But he could also have Communicator, Pilot, Explorer and probably a few others that I'm not thinking of right now.

Mind you, there is no stated limit on traits for crew, so the crew that have only 2-3 questionable states still don't make sense.

At least the ships have some sort of logic applied to them.

Just out of curiosity, Picard was a Pilot? Cannot remember one szene where he pilots a shuttle/ship.
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    qxqx wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, Picard was a Pilot? Cannot remember one szene where he pilots a shuttle/ship.
    It did happen in 'In Theory', the one where Data got a girlfriend - Picard flew the shuttle running ahead to scout the Enterprise's path out of the null space zone they'd meandered into.