Home The Bridge
Options

Citation advice

I have 1xgold citation to use and I'm unsure of what to use it on. Currently stockpiling 500k honor until such time as there's a Honor Hall sale.

In the meantime, do I use it on one of my 4/5 star cards (Prof Sato, Surak, Ruafo, Det Janeway, God Q or Darth Bashir) or add extra stars to 1/5 cards (Killy, Captain Sisko, Vice Admiral Janeway, Borg Janeway, First Contact La Forge etc).

Is there a received school of thought on this?

Comments

• Options
    I personally would not cite a card which is likely to drop.
    For example i use my cictations on gauntlet only crew (Armus etc.), Fusion crew (Indulgent Seven etc.) or on Tier 1 crew according to the Big Book (EMA, FO Burnham).

If you want to cite on of the named above i would take Prof Sato.
    DON'T cite Captain Sisko - i have him at Level 100 FE and he is worthless....
  • Options
    DazlaaaaaDazlaaaaa ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I personally would not cite a card which is likely to drop.

DON'T cite Captain Sisko - i have him at Level 100 FE and he is worthless....

Certainly for purple citations, this is my approach. I only cite event crew.

Problem with Sisko, is quite irrationally, he's my favourite character. We're it not for that, he'd certainly have seen the stars from the wrong side of the airlock...
  • Options
    I would avoid citing a 1/5* unless you can put at least 2 or 3 citations at once on them. The second star increases their base skill by 20 or 30 points, which is mostly useless until you can add further stars.

The 4/5* you mentioned are all good choices, in my opinion. It depends on which skills or skill combinations you need to improve or on what your focus is (voyages: Surak is very good, but Q and Janeway aren't bad either; or shuttles: Sato, Ru'afo, Janeway and Q are all in the top 10 for their primary skill). Given that you have both, God Q and Darth Bashir, if you need to improve your MED skill for either voyages or shuttles, I'd pick Q, because he's better for both things and not in the portal yet. Unless you specifically need MED-DIP for voyages, then Bashir makes sense too.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    General wisdom states that citing the mega-event 5* is best done during the mega event they feature in ... so ...

Tenavik - he should ideally be 2/5 at this time. As a 5/5 at the end of the event he'll have a good CMD base and good voyage stats. Also be good for Disco/Klingon events in the future.
    Solid citation option that will do well for the time being.
  • Options
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    General wisdom states that citing the mega-event 5* is best done during the mega event they feature in ... so ...

Tenavik - he should ideally be 2/5 at this time. As a 5/5 at the end of the event he'll have a good CMD base and good voyage stats. Also be good for Disco/Klingon events in the future.
    Solid citation option that will do well for the time being.

That's a good idea too. He's also a good voyager and in the top 10 for his CMD base. But given that you don't seem to have lots of fused 5* in your roster, I'd still focus on the skills you need the most, so if CMD is the only one where you have lots of good options, then maybe one of the others could be a better choice.
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honor Hall sale only happened once and when it did citations did not go on sale. Has there been any confirmation there will be another honor hall sale and that citations will be discounted? You are sighting on so much honor that could be helping you now. Finish those 4/5's.

No, it's a rumour and a lot of people are going to be disappointed when citations don't go on sale.
  • Options
    Ren~ wrote: »

No, it's a rumour and a lot of people are going to be disappointed when citations don't go on sale.

I didn't invest in citations back then, so that's just crushingly disappointing...
  • Options
    I would recommend to never cite a gauntlet crew, since they already are at maximum usefullness @1/5fe and their other stars will drop free eventually; especially since the droprate has been boosted. Also if you cite a mega event crew do it in mega event week 1 so u have 4 weeks of maximised usefullness. depending on which skill is your weakness, cards like prof sato (absolute dip monster) are imo top candidates to cite
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    If you like skirmishes, then start on Killy now. Otherwise, Determined Janeway or Darth Bashir get my vote for voyage and event potential.

Edit: I forgot about Tenavik. If you haven't cited him yet and you don't plan to buy recap packs, then I would recommend him now. He will help in this mega and future Discovery mega events.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Agreed that Tenavik is going to be your best bet - it does fly in the face of recommending citations at higher fusion levels (because going from 4/5*-5/5* is a far bigger boost than 1/5*-2/5*) but it will help in this weekend’s event, will really help in the last event of the mega, and give you a very solid crew for shuttles and voyages after the mega is over, even if COM/SCI isn’t a weakness for your crew.
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would cite janeway. she's bridge crew, and is a solid strong stat in a skill combo that's somewhat odd (eng+sec)
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with those here that recommend Tenavik. I've already added one citation to him. Of the other 4/5's you list, all are great choices except Darth Bashir, who is not as good as Prisoner Katrina Cornwell with the same skill set, or Guinan, with a very similar skill set.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed that Tenavik is going to be your best bet - it does fly in the face of recommending citations at higher fusion levels (because going from 4/5*-5/5* is a far bigger boost than 1/5*-2/5*) but it will help in this weekend’s event, will really help in the last event of the mega, and give you a very solid crew for shuttles and voyages after the mega is over, even if COM/SCI isn’t a weakness for your crew.

Tenavik will be a 4/5 after the mega so it's the same as recommending another 4/5.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say Tenivik or Determined Janeway
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »

Tenavik will be a 4/5 after the mega so it's the same as recommending another 4/5.

But he’s not a 4/5* now, he’s likely 1/5* (or 2/5* with a citation). Waiting until he’s 4/5* to cite would be dumb in the light of his usefulness this week and two weeks from now.
  • Options

But he’s not a 4/5* now, he’s likely 1/5* (or 2/5* with a citation). Waiting until he’s 4/5* to cite would be dumb in the light of his usefulness this week and two weeks from now.

I think they're arguing the semantics of it. Yes, technically, you are citing a 1/5 to 2/5 if you do it now, but in effect, you are citing a 4/5 to 5/5 with the assumption that you will gain the rest of the stars over the rest of the month, with the added bonus of being a star "ahead" the rest of the way.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course if you cite Tenavik now and then buy the 390 dil wrap up pack at the end of the mega you could get another Tenavik. Up to u on ur needs in the mega and if u plan on buying any of the wrap up pack.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    I'm with those here that recommend Tenavik. I've already added one citation to him. Of the other 4/5's you list, all are great choices except Darth Bashir, who is not as good as Prisoner Katrina Cornwell with the same skill set, or Guinan, with a very similar skill set.

Oddly, my Admiral Kat is only 3/5 - obviously narlsed that one up, somehow. Not as hardcore back then as I am now...
  • Options
    First, why would you ever cite a gauntlet crew? If you're playing consistently, you should get them all cited by dupe drops.

Citing an Event crew on first or second week of a Mega is great, especially if you are squad leader!

Okay, now the math of it. Not all the numbers between cites is the same, nor for each crew/card, but these are really close approximations. Also note: all the examples assume Level 100 FE, and does not account for any Starbase variance.

Primary Skill
    Level 1/5 to 2/5: 2.4-3.2% gain
    Level 2/5 to 3/5: 9.3-13.7% gain
    Level 3/5 to 4/5: 14.8-17.1% gain
    Level 4/5 to 5/5: 14.2-14.9% gain

Secondary Skill
    Level 1/5 to 2/5: 9.1-12.3% gain
    Level 2/5 to 3/5: 17.7-22.4% gain
    Level 3/5 to 4/5: 22-26.8% gain
    Level 4/5 to 5/5: 21.9-25.9% gain

Tertiary Skill
    Level 1/5 to 2/5: 13.8-14.9% gain
    Level 2/5 to 3/5: 24.3-24.9% gain
    Level 3/5 to 4/5: 29.2-42.1% gain
    Level 4/5 to 5/5: 18-28% gain

You can use this on any individual crew in the Wiki, but a lot of them don't have complete info on this yet, which is why I made this chart. It has been pretty handy in my decision making on who to cite, when I have the numbers in front of me.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    First, why would you ever cite a gauntlet crew? If you're playing consistently, you should get them all cited by dupe drops.

Citing an Event crew on first or second week of a Mega is great, especially if you are squad leader!

Okay, now the math of it. Not all the numbers between cites is the same, nor for each crew/card, but these are really close approximations. Also note: all the examples assume Level 100 FE, and does not account for any Starbase variance.

Primary Skill

Secondary Skill

Tertiary Skill

You can use this on any individual crew in the Wiki, but a lot of them don't have complete info on this yet, which is why I made this chart. It has been pretty handy in my decision making on who to cite, when I have the numbers in front of me.

Interesting that it appears that the most bonus % you are gaining occurs when you cite from 3 stars to 4 stars. You’d think it would be 4 to 5.

Nothing bad about that, ofc. Just interesting.
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Primary Skill

Secondary Skill

Tertiary Skill

Interesting that it appears that the most bonus % you are gaining occurs when you cite from 3 stars to 4 stars. You’d think it would be 4 to 5.

Nothing bad about that, ofc. Just interesting.

that's one of the reasons i only cite up to 4/5...and begolds like this one i got from the 10/$10 the other day are another :)

Screenshot-20191006-221000-Star-Trek.jpg
  • Options

Well...small caveat here - if you can consistently place in the top ten (or even win) in the Gauntlet, then yes it should only be a matter of time before all of the gauntlet special crew can be finished without citations.

For everyone else - which is the vast majority - citations for old gauntlet special crew aren’t necessarily the worst idea, if one of the three of them fills in a needed skill combo. Since the day the gauntlet was released, across probably 25,000+ rounds of play, I got two Locuti, two Guinans, four Caretakers, and eight (!) Armii from gauntlet drops...and since old characters were added a while back only the one Caretaker has dropped, whereas I nearly have two immortal copies of Armus. I rarely make it into the top 10, so my supply of old crew would necessarily be limited.

I had no problem using a citation on the Caretaker to finish and get the maximum benefit out of him, and wouldn’t feel bad at all if he dropped again in the gauntlet - that of course is more due to the rare skill set than anything else. Personally, I don’t think I would do the same for Locutus or Guinan (or Armus, whenever he gets replaced) but I can understand it for anyone who doubts they can get additional copies of these three from the gauntlet.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

that's one of the reasons i only cite up to 4/5...and begolds like this one i got from the 10/$10 the other day are another :)

Screenshot-20191006-221000-Star-Trek.jpg

Second star on Killy without blinking ... 4/5 or not as one of the other choices ... would have cited up Q for the collection and just to freeze him.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    . . . if you can consistently place in the top ten (or even win) in the Gauntlet, then yes it should only be a matter of time before all of the gauntlet special crew can be finished without citations. . . .

I assume this is true as well, but my experience hasn't born it out so far. I've been playing gauntlet since the day they introduced it to the game. Except when I forget to play in the hour before the gauntlet ends, I can pretty easily make top 10 every time, and I've won some gauntlets, too. Yet, I'm about to win my first Locutus next week when I finally hit 20,000 gauntlet rounds. So there are no guarantees.

Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    That you're only hitting the Locutus achievement now likely means you've been missing rounds which affect how many streak crates you've gotten. I got that achievement a while ago(I don't remember when) and I know plenty of people got it before me.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    That you're only hitting the Locutus achievement now likely means you've been missing rounds which affect how many streak crates you've gotten. I got that achievement a while ago(I don't remember when) and I know plenty of people got it before me.

I'm not sure if the strategy of maximizing gauntlet rounds is still the best one since the changes of this year however. Back when the drop chances were so low that streaks of 3 probably gave about the same chances as streaks of 60 it seemed to be the best strategy, but now win streaks and rank actually seem to matter. And by going for gauntlet rounds (unless you use dilithium to revive your crew) you'll probably have shorter win streaks and also risk to have a lower rank (if you become everyone's favorite "no matching skills" opponent).

I'm not sure though. Personally, since the changes, I've had many more gauntlet crew than before drop from good ranking and occasionally from long win streaks, but other people in my fleet claim that nothing has changed for them. We are different types of players with different strategies and the ones that seem to work for some of us don't work for others, so maybe it's still mainly a matter of luck and having as many streaks of 3 as possible is still the best way to go about it.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    With regards to citing mega legendaries, I take in to consideration...
    a) Their worth after the event - 4 weeks of worth is a poor investment if there are more pressing long term considerations you may have on the citation list.
    b) Event schedule - if the all faction event is week 1 only - is there much point to adding the citation for a small boost or can it wait especially having considered point A.

In my list
    Did not cite -
    Mirror Picard - probably would have been an insta cite, if I had enough honor at the time, but I was about 3-4 months in on the game and still learning the ropes, plus we got a free copy anyway, yay. Bit of an exceptional case this one.
    Thrax - The schedule + other more pressing citation needs meant I did not need to cite him really
    Kol - Same as Thrax both in card and situation.
    Minuet - Well.... there's extensive literature on this subject it would be a shame to surmise it in a 1 liner. Ok.... "no way pedro!"

Did CIte -
    Surak - Voyage score and best SCI base at the time
    Cornwell - Voyage Score and best DIP base for a while
    BR Bashir - Main Cast, Ok Voyage Score, Decent MED Base and really helped bolster my MED voyages.
    Ru'Afo - Best Eng base in the game, Rare ENG CMD combination, reasonable voyage score
    Etana Jol - Rare ENG DIP Combination, good voyage score
    Determined Janeway - Main Cast, ENG SEC combination
    Q as God - popular recurring cast, nice MED SCI combination and great voyage score

As honor is a valuable resource if not the most it is always good to scrutinise the worth of using a citation, and try and strike a balance between immediate improvement and use against longevity of usage.

Back to OP's list
    Janeway and Q as God are probably fine candidates for citation even though their event has now passed, MED SCI is a difficult voyage score to get up, and Janeway is main cast and has a unique skill class amongst her variants.

Killy is partially viable if she is your only insta damage for skirmishes it would make sense to power her up more, if you intensly go in to those events
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO