Home The Bridge
Options

Looking a gift horse in the moth :)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    We're saying the same thing. The rubberband is already there, and I've been pointing it out. If you feel you are behind, spend some money. The negative stereotype that needs shattering is not one of generations, it is the idea that spending money is somehow cheating or cutting corners.

If you or a new player is happy, keep doing what you are doing. If you want to do more, spend a bit. You work (I used that word deliberately) hard for your money, it is OK to spend a few bucks to enhance your enjoyment.
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "millennial"-discussion, as well as the one in the recent event thread, is probably mildly amusing for someone who doesn't live in a country where a broken leg could potentially put you into bankruptcy. Old people have been complaining about youngsters everywhere and always, but nowhere else has this debate become so much full of contempt and divisive of society as in the U.S., where the idea of helping each other out on a grand scale seems to have been thought of by the Devil himself.

A key aspect of every society is (or rather should be) progress. Every generation is standing on the shoulders of the giants of the previous generation. Every following generation should have it better than the previous one, and if people are real honest with themselves, they probably have uttered the sentence "I'm working hard so that my kids have it better one day" in some shape or form. That is part of the Social Contract. If you reject the idea, you should live as a hermit somewhere far off other people. Decrying that the kids actually do have it better now just makes you look frustrated and begrudging.

In Star Trek Timelines, as someone who has been here not since the beginning, but could at least sport a Spot avatar, and has not spent his way to VIP14-elite, I welcome any rubber-bands that make it easier for newcomers to catch up. In many fleets people are leaving faster than newcomers trickle in. The game is stagnating - at best. Any incentive for newcomers to not quit the game after the first few hours in compete frustration is helping the game at large. Especially since they are not some random insuffrables, but fellow Star Trek fans.

I didn't think of that before because I didn't see the link between these facts, but our fleet of fleets had one closed down last week because we're not enough and there are so few new applicants that it was a major headache for everyone involved. Fleet isn't that picky, there's room for all play styles and captain levels and advertisement is always at the top, yet that wasn't enough. Clearly the game is not doing too well right now, and let's not kid ourselves, that's by design. None of the excessively pay to win games I have played in the past lasted more than 5 years, I suppose this one will find its end sooner rather than later. Such is life.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    Selene 7 wrote: »
    I think there's a point in the game that's really tough now, and that's when you're starting to build your 4* crew. There are so many now that the odds are low to get more stars for your existing characters. You'll have to keep a lot around just to increase your chances, but that's tough with limited crew space.

This has been a problem for a long time now. I was here on day one and for the first year or even 2 years it was no problem to complete the 4 stars. Now I would say the intent is that you just get the event characters as they come and use those. They will generally be better than the year 1 and 2 characters anyway. But yeah it's pretty nasty to try and complete anything anymore - unless you do it during the week of their event.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Etienne wrote: »
    Personally, I am happy to receive some sorrytons in the mail. I wasn't effected by the server problems and free is free.

However, I kind of feel like DB should send all the guys lv10 - 40 600 more. We all got 1000 sorrytons back in the day. The new people are sort of getting hind-tit... it would be more fair to give them a little more don't you think?

hv3o3m8pl4et.jpg
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    hv3o3m8pl4et.jpg

is that the moth from the title? :D pretty pretty
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭

And I agree that chron inflation should be compensated correspondingly. So if an outage of this extent was worth like 200 chrons in the early days it should have been much more than 400 today. But again... for me chrons were only half of the rent anyway.

The actual value in the old days would have been 1000 to 500 Chron.

I think the problem is Chrons. are on the worthless side. I think the compensation nowadays should be in honor or as you suggested accolades.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    WaldoMag wrote: »

And I agree that chron inflation should be compensated correspondingly. So if an outage of this extent was worth like 200 chrons in the early days it should have been much more than 400 today. But again... for me chrons were only half of the rent anyway.

I think the problem is Chrons. are on the worthless side. I think the compensation nowadays should be in honor or as you suggested accolades.

I would argue against accolades. I’m already 5 or 6 days at the end of the month where they are not doing anything for me like faction reputation when you’re fully honored for that faction. Voyage token could be another option. Currently there’s only one way to get them once a week

Were you even affected by the outage? Not everybody is VIP14 and therefore far ahaid, and missing out on the citations is the worst case scenario if you already paid the premium track.

This was not about "most useful goodies for everyone" but about meaningful compensation for people who could not log in for days.

/edit: I was not affected and my campaign finished today. Still I would have liked to see them in the compensation, preferrably only for those affected in the first place, but this is impossible to sort out by DB.

Oh I gotcha. For this specific problem because it affected people hitting dailies. Sorry, I wasn’t putting 2 and 2 together.

• Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

I would argue against accolades. I’m already 5 or 6 days at the end of the month where they are not doing anything for me like faction reputation when you’re fully honored for that faction. Voyage token could be another option. Currently there’s only one way to get them once a week

Were you even affected by the outage? Not everybody is VIP14 and therefore far ahaid, and missing out on the citations is the worst case scenario if you already paid the premium track.

This was not about "most useful goodies for everyone" but about meaningful compensation for people who could not log in for days.

/edit: I was not affected and my campaign finished today. Still I would have liked to see them in the compensation, preferrably only for those affected in the first place, but this is impossible to sort out by DB.

Oh I gotcha. For this specific problem because it affected people hitting dailies. Sorry, I wasn’t putting 2 and 2 together.

Maybe both honor and accolades might be a better apology. Or even all three (Chrons the third)

Voyage tokens are always appreciated 😉🙂👍
    Because in the in-game message we can chose when to pull them out.
  • Options
    shadow8803shadow8803 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

Hate to be ‘that guy’, but as a three month old player, chrons are golden to me, and I was able to immortalize two crew with the unexpected influx. To keep new players interested and progressing, I don’t think discouraging chron awards is a good idea.

And, to be fair, if I stick with the game I’m sure I’ll get to the point where I have hundreds of thousands of chrons just sitting there, but the most enjoyable thing about this game right now is the fight to complete the cards. And, At the moment...I’m 255/250 crew, so immortalization is really important to gain crew space.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    shadow8803 wrote: »

Hate to be ‘that guy’, but as a three month old player, chrons are golden to me, and I was able to immortalize two crew with the unexpected influx. To keep new players interested and progressing, I don’t think discouraging chron awards is a good idea.

And, to be fair, if I stick with the game I’m sure I’ll get to the point where I have hundreds of thousands of chrons just sitting there, but the most enjoyable thing about this game right now is the fight to complete the cards. And, At the moment...I’m 255/250 crew, so immortalization is really important to gain crew space.

I also was stating in the old days when Chrons were worth more we got more of them , when Tribbles enter the server. 2000 now, would have been the equivalent to what we got in the past.
  • Options
    ApaggApagg ✭✭✭
    The value of chrons hasn't diminished by much just because it's easier to produce them now. The price of most things measured in chrons hasn't changed - only event ranks. When it comes to levelling crew (much more important bottleneck for new players in ranking in an event, I think) the cost is the same as it has always been. So no argument from that perspective to increase the giveaways.

From an event perspective, giving out larger chunks of chrons wouldn't help new players because they go to everyone. Doesn't give any player an edge.

On the rubber band issue - given how much easier it is to get resources than it used to be, we already have that relative to the early days. Campaigns also make it easier to get new crew, merits, chrons etc, even for f2p players.

I'm not totally convinced new players need a lot more support, but I am open to persuasion.