Home The Bridge
Options

Daylight Saving Time Cheatsheet

As Shan reminded us, most of the USA is exiting Daylight Saving Time next week. For those of you in Arizona or other places where saving daylight is illegal, here's a cheatsheet of things that change time in-game when this happens:

Things that move forward an hour:
- Event end times

Things that don't change time:
- Reset time of dailies
- Arena reward downtime
- Replicator uses
- Gauntlet start/end time
- Dabo wheel

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just went from Illinois to Pennsylvania and back. I was returning during the event. When I crossed from the eastern time zone to the central, my shuttles went from needing an hour to completion to needing two hours.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clone wrote: »
    As Shan reminded us, most of the USA is exiting Daylight Saving Time next week. For those of you in Arizona or other places where saving daylight is illegal, here's a cheatsheet of things that change time in-game when this happens:

- Event end times

- Reset time of dailies
    - Arena reward downtime
    - Replicator uses
    - Dabo wheel

I want to say when the savings time changes all of these things change. My dailies will go from resetting at midnight to 11. Gauntlet and Dabo Wheel will move up an hour too. This has always been my experience

• Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thing that do not change time (for areas that do not have DST so they do not change their clocks)

- Taking out of cryo merit reset.
    - Chroniton Boost

Things that do.
    - Event start
  • Options
    CloneClone ✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I want to say when the savings time changes all of these things change. My dailies will go from resetting at midnight to 11. Gauntlet and Dabo Wheel will move up an hour too. This has always been my experience

This is because you're in a DST zone, so your time changes while those things stay the same. My post is for people in non-DST regions.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is because you're in a DST zone, so your time changes while those things stay the same. My post is for people in non-DST regions.

Ah yes. It’s not the same everywhere. I always get all out of sorts when the tine changes

• Options
    CloneClone ✭✭✭
    I always get all out of sorts when the tine changes

As do we all.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Wth? Daily targets and Arena tickets reset earlier but Cadet tickets did not, so Cadet tickets went out of sync with the daily targets. What kind of weird timestamping is DB using?

And indeed 1 hour was added to my shuttles. This should be a nogo.

/edit: A restart instantly finished my shuttles and fixed the daily reward and the cadet tickets, so all is fine again. Still weird that this was not the same for everything.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the time change. That means I don't have to stay up till 2am (Eastern US) to make sure I stay in the top 1% in the Arena; I just have to stay up till 1am, like a civilized person. Four glorious months of one more hour of sleep a night!
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    I just went from Illinois to Pennsylvania and back. I was returning during the event. When I crossed from the eastern time zone to the central, my shuttles went from needing an hour to completion to needing two hours.

A restart should fix that.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh. I wish I knew that before. I let them ride out

• Options

Isn t it the common thing, first to do, to restart the app when something is messed up?
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn t it the common thing, first to do, to restart the app when something is messed up?

I didn’t realize it was a mess up. I just figured it was the way that worked

• Options
    Here in the UK, British Summer Time* ended last night.

So we’re in that strange week before the US catches up and I don’t know what time anything is supposed to happen in game.

Roll on next week, where I’ll have to be awake before 6am to ensure I can compete in the arena!

(* - British Summer Time! Must have been named by a Ferengi following the 239th Rule of Aquisition!)
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

- Event end times

- Reset time of dailies
    - Arena reward downtime
    - Replicator uses
    - Dabo wheel

Others beat me to it, but I’ll say this anyway: event times are tied to whenever noon is on the clock in DB’s offices and all other system times are set to UTC-5 regardless of what’s on the clock.
  • Options
    CloneClone ✭✭✭
    Others beat me to it, but I’ll say this anyway: event times are tied to whenever noon is on the clock in DB’s offices and all other system times are set to UTC-5 regardless of what’s on the clock.

I appreciate your Vulcanian attention to detail in stating the obvious. This was part of the point of the post: it both helps people remember which things do/n't change, and it points out the absurdity that ONLY 1 thing changes time when DST hits.

As a person in a DST-free refugium, I'm used to games changing time when DST hits, but it would be nice if it were consistent. Either change the time on everything, or on nothing. But splitting it is confusing -- especially because there are things that happen at the same time as the event start/end half the year but happen an hour later the other half.

And for the record, I think it would be easiest to keep the event start/end times the same all year long -- like all the other in-game times are -- rather than leaping them an hour back and forth at arbitrary times.